Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TR - 10 could be a bit constrictive so less than 20!  That's a good run seeing as your not 100%, really good session. 
    Jools - Those are good numbers  your certainly getting there.
    Wardi - That is cold. Good call on the treadle.
    10m steady out and back to Padstow, cold but clear. 16m tomorrow.
  • Options
    It was a balmy minus 1 here this morning. My friend came with me for a trip to the woods, the same route I was on when I broke my ankle. I was so nervous and concentrating really hard that I really didn't enjoy it. And we got less than half way and had to turn back due to sheet ice. I'm really fed up with ice already! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Happy birthday joe

Jools - thats another nice tempo

Wardi - sounds fiddly getting that clock set up

OO - sounds a nice run to padstow and back on the trail.

CC - not surprised you were remembering that fall.

I'd run 27 of last weeks 60 miles from friday evening to late yday morning, so i stuck with the intended turbo rather than an easy run. Its going to warm up a bit tomorrow so i can put the ice skates away.
  • Options
    TR - cracking long run with the faster miles. 

Joolska too, i quite like those kind of MP intervals in a longer run. 

OO - decent weekend of running that. 

Finally finished self isolation on Friday, 6.5m easy then and 12m muddy and hilly trail run today with a mate. Couple of degrees below freezing but no frost or ice, it was way muddier than I expected as it hasn’t rained in a while. Legs were complaining as I did a big kettlebell session on Friday and a Zwift race on the turbo last night. 

I’ve actually really enjoyed racing on the turbo the last week or so, more so I think because there’s no competitive running at the moment. 

Have a great Sunday everyone 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    An easy 15 to round off my cutback week and make a total of 51.

Glad to hear you are able to get outside again, Jack!

Good miles as always, TR.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good news Jack, must be nice to get out in the cold air for a run.

Many happy returns Joe, hope you're having a good day.

TR.. from yesterday's sub zero we reached the giddy heights of 5 degrees this afternoon.  Tomorrow looks mild again but windy & wet.

OO.. good miles for the weekend.

Jools.. nice 'long' MLR.

10m today with a 5m TT built in (club virtual event).  That averaged out at 7:23 pace after a sluggish start.  56m for the week.

• Options
    56 miles for me too. Still less than I used to do in a cut back week, but hey ho, I'm getting there. 12 progressive today, with a 2 mile cool down tagged on the end because I live at the top of a massive hill and I didn't fancy trying to do the pacey bit on it. It was meant to be 4 @ 7.40, 4 @ 7.30, 4 @ 7.20. The first 4 were about right but I was checking my watch every five seconds, the next three were only a tiny bit too fast, mile 8 I clearly lost the plot and was quite a bit too fast, then the last 4 just got quicker until I ended up at 6.55. Still all slower than I used to run for a whole marathon of course, but progress is progress. Mind you, I did feel like I was sprinting in the last mile. Best thing - no ice!!!! 

Happy birthday Joe!

Glad to hear you've been freed Jack. I've been there. Back when you still had to do 14 days (and I had to 15 - long story). I was ok until about day 12, by which point I was basically ready to crawl out of the cat flap. There's only so much indoor exercise you can do!
  • Options
    CC - You certainly are getting there, that was a great progressive session and that speedy last 4 miles must have felt good.  
    Jack - Welcome back to freedom. Tough return run, bet what you really wanted though.
    Wardi - A good 10m session there. Good idea from your club for a virtual 5m TT, certaintly makes sure you do it.
    TR - Yes, bring on the warmer weather (and rain!)
    Jools - Snap, 51 here too. 

15m for me, generally 7.30 pace on the trail running through a very quiet Padstow and onto the beaches when pace dropped to 8.XX something. Good to run in reasonable temperatures. 51 for the week.  In other news I see the Rome and Seville marathons been moved now to Sept/ Nov, quite tempted by Seville, as supposedly a very good and fast Spanish marathon.
  • Options
    Thanks all, it was a couple of heavy evenings on the drinks but I managed to do 30 minutes yesterday which seemed apt for my 30th birthday.

OO - Big weekend from you there. Sounds idyllic again. An old clubmate trained for a 2:50 marathon by doing lots of running doing the pebble beaches on the south coast. Paces were always very slow but I guess it's the effort that matters. Seville in November sounds very nice, one to think about. 

JH87 - Congrats on the return to the real world. Lots of people turbo racing atm and it does look good fun if you have the right setup. Zwift has probably been as good an invention for cyclists as the magic shoes have been for runners.

Wardi - is that just a club event or part of the virtual relays? Club captain sent me a text to remind me it's the virtual 5 mile club relays atm. Deadline is Wednesday so I'll lay an effort down tomorrow.

CC - Sounds like a good progressive run. Hopefully the legs are alright today. Nice sometimes when the paces are comfortable but accidentally too fast. I suspect we're all very excited about the end of ice and frost :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Great for yoh to be allowed put again JH, i hated being locked indoors.

Keep backing those weeks up jools

Wardi - nice, sounds like a P and D LT day, so good training.

CC - nice bitbof progress there

OO - it looks like being a busy autumn rave wise.

Joe - sounds like a good booze up.

8m run commute this morning, nice to be ice free.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. sounds like you had a good day, 30th is a major birthday so no need to feel guilty about the booze :p.  My club usually have a 'Turkey Trot' 5m race the first weekend after New Year, about 30-35 runners on average.  Obviously we can't do it this year so were told to run it in our own time on a course of our choosing, results worked out afterwards.  Good to have an incentive to run fast.  I gave the wife a few mins head start and tried to catch her, failed! Good luck with your effort tomorrow.

OO.. nice 15m in the bag.  Next autumn is going to be rammed to the gills with marathon options at this rate, the Spanish ones are always great events.  I'm sure CD could advise on Seville & ex-poster Ryan S ran it too a few years back.

CC2.. congrats on getting that progressive run done, it will all come back in good time.

Filthy up here today, 20mph winds & rain so did my steady 5.2m on the treadie.  A curry takeaway from the local vendors beckons.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A rest day for me, bar cycling to the office and back. Some strong gusts of wind on the way home - never fun on two wheels...! It must be takeaway night. Pizza for us 
  • Options
    And so it begins, the first race postponement email of 2021 has arrived! No surprise, since it was supposed to be on Valentine's Day. It's gone back to November. Let's hope there's no third wave then!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning sportsfans! I'm free again! :) 

CC2 - sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't think the contact needs to be 15 minutes, but there was a family of 4 behind me in the queue and it must have been a good 5-10min wait. It was a pain to isolate, especially whilst feeling fine, but given my asthma, and a previous bout of pneumonia, I'm rather risk averse to the idea of it. Good progress from you!

Jools - likewise on the progress front. Well done.

JH87
    - glad you're out of isolation now.

An easy 8m yesterday as my first run back. Planning on similar today, with most likely nothing tomorrow as that's our busiest day as part of the move (get the keys later today). Felt good to be out there again - unlike most of you I done no exercise during isolation. Instead I used the time to do some diy/decorating in our rental to reduce what we need to do in here post move.
  • Options
    Wardi - good on your wife for beating you. Monday night takeaway eh? Starting the week right. We always get two meals out of our indian takeaways so we also had curry.

Jools - it's fun when the wind is behind! I do remember my wheels lifting up in the wind on an exposed segment of the south downs though and that was quite scary.

CC - And me! Liverpool marathon postponed to October which gives it a real chance. I think with the seasonality of the virus, the vaccines and some herd immunity we should be ok come October unless the government overreacts.

TT - Not all success can be measured in running. Congrats on getting the keys, always an exciting time. Hope the move goes well.

My 5 mile attempt at the virtual national relays today. Would have been content with anything sub 29 but it came in at 27:54 so absolutely delighted. My first mile was an exuberant 5:22 so happy to manage it back in from there because I could have been blown to pieces. 

Postponement of Liverpool means I need a new plan. Late April or May would probably be the ideal but I could go for a more aggressive 12 week plan to try to get me to an earlier one.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey, even i dont indulge in any takeaway on a Monday. 

Good news on the releaae TT

Joe - top bombing, nice work.

I had another race roll over to 2022 today. I can see dorney as at risk, but think events will come back in the spring. Uk are about the vaccinate the 3 millionth person, by Easter all over 50s should be done which is 32million, so there will be pressure to ease restrictions. The warmer weather will help too.

12m tonight, no ice, no rain, all very strange.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR TR, Lovely sunny cold day up here, the next 2 days look a bit wet though.

Storming pace Joe, that's a cracking 5m time!

TT.. good to see you can get outdoors again & best of luck with the move.

Jools.. that brings back memories of my dear old mog, on pizza night he used to suddenly appear on the arm of the sofa waiting for offerings.  Needless to say tuna & chicken were the favourite toppings!

10m today, lovely conditions & views.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Joe - Congratulations, that's a fantastic time.   A good call for Liverpool to be moved to Oct. By then, all UK adults (who want to) would have been vaccinated.  I am expecting Geneva marathon, early May to do the same, the sooner the better but looks like 4+ marathons for me so far Sept-Dec.
    TT - Enjoy your freedom. 
    Unlike you Wardi & TR, had dreadful wet, windy and foggy weather here for a 4m with the pooch and then a hill hunting 7m - as entered a 2000 metres Jan running challenge on Strava - thought it would be good for motivation.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds like a nice 10m

OO - i got wet this morning !

9m inc 3x10mins (av 6.50, 6.31 and 6.24 for overall av of 6.35), disappointing given i did 9m av 6.40 Saturday on similar route. Rep 1 was pretty hilly though. I did 5m LT av 6.08 in June so was expecting today to be a lot quicker. However the point of the session is to work hard and the long mp runs are still the key indicators.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sounds a rough old day down there OO, nice work getting the double done.

TR.. I'd just bank it as a decent chunk of effort, sometimes a bit of leg tiredness can slow the pace down a touch.  Sorry about the wetting!

7m + 4m double today.  A mere 1 degree this morning but thankfully no ice.  I did have the rain jacket on as there were a few light rain/sleet showers around.  Just got it done before the heavier rain set in.  Second run on the treadie.
  • Options
    OO - You'll be weighed down with all of those medals! 2000m seems pretty doable if you go looking for it?

TR - Can't fire every session. Still a decent pace and around where you want to be come marathon day (whenever that might be)?

5 miles yesterday evening and 7 this morning. Both runs at easy pace but 12 hours is still a quick turnaround so it wasn't the freshest run this morning but it's all about getting it done.
  • Options
    It's been snowing steadily all day here so I won't be able to do my intervals tonight. Slow and steady it is. I didn't enjoy having a broken bone and I don't fancy another one!

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    CC2 - Seems the North has the snow (and ice?) again.  Slow and steady is fine.

TR - We cannot be 100% all of the time.  You had a tough looking session ticked off in a pretty decent time.  Also its not so long ago you had Covid. 

Wardi - Nice double, good planning and implementation.  

Joe
    - Spot on, it is about getting the runs done and taking the gains from these.  All my medals, bar my sub250 ones, my younger son has as he likes the noise when they clang. On  792m but there's a very local hill with 100m of climbing over 1km so if close will run up that a few times.

Unexpected bonus as my son's primary school offered him a place - as both my wife and I are "critical" workers - for Thursdays and Fridays  :-) so had a lunchtime 9m with a 7m tempo-ish run @6.35 in between a 1m wu and wd. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Wardi - did you get snow today?

Joe - agreed on the quick turnarounds, i did 12m tues pm and then the session yday am. I prefer mornings only every day.

OO - good tenpo, similar to mine saturday.

CC - surely thats ideal tready time ? Consistent conditions guaranteed ?

Agreed, ive moved on. Saturdays run was decent, yday was a good blow out. 10m run commute home tonight, quads were a bit achey after yday, so didnt make it the intended 12 or 13.

My 19yr old had enough anti bodies to donate plasma and he gave donation no 2 today. Decent citizen ship from a youngster, although he cant go anywhere else at the moment.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice gesture from your lad.  Good commuting miles tonight, your weather ok?  Snow.. yes we've had steady morning 'til evening downfall here, about 4 inches laying.  A bit of sleet now.

CC2.. sensible decision!

OO.. good pace in that tempo, I assume you don't have the white stuff down there?

Due to the aforementioned snow stuck to the treadie again today for just over 5m.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Wardi- good job you have the treadie. Wr had rain all day,,but its going to be 0 degrees over night so will be an ice skate in the morning.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Wardi - 8C, no white stuff.  T-shirt (Gran Canaria marathon finishers 2019, those were the days!) and shorts, took off gloves as got too hot. Balmy.    Easter can't come soon enough.  

TR - Good on your son.

Notice quite a few summer half marathons in the near region.  I would imagine/ hope they should be good for go. Really need a race to aim for. 
  • Options
    No snow in Forest of Dean this time though it was back to chill winds after a couple of mild days. Good job you’ve Treadmills Wardi & Speedy
    Cracking 5M the other day RJR
    Good on yr lad TR.
    You’ve plenty of hills to choose from OO. They’ll slow the average pace though.
    I’m over 5,000m already this month because my wfh routes all have well over 1,000ft each time. When I’m in school I might only do 300ft in a 12M day as my commute is flat & my lunch runs usually involve the canal.
  • Options
    I ran outdoors Jooligan, but I got very wet feet. The well trodden pavements were thick with filthy slush by 5pm. My street (hill) is very slushy. If that freezes overnight we're all trapped up here again. I've already run on the treadmill twice this week (double days) and I'm conscious that it's really, really loud and I don't want to piss off my neighbours too much! 

• Options
    OO - Surely we all like the clang of the medals?! Sounds like Thursdays and Fridays can be peak training days from now on.

Wardi - Very much a northern thing that snow. Safety on the treadmill definitely a good idea.

TR - Good on your son for doing that. We all have to do our bit however small that might be for some. Hope the ice skating didn't materialise. Chilly but dry here today.

Jooligan - you must reasonable something of a mountain goat at times. Serious climbing!

Much needed rest day today but will get out for a little walk later and do my stretches. Still hoping to complete a 50 mile week over the weekend. Got myself an entry for Edinburgh for end May as good for age. A novelty if nothing else. Warmer weather should really help us get back towards normal and it's a nice place for a weekend away but I won't hold my breath for it to go ahead.