Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    8.4 miles first thing with 30 mins tempo at 6:23 pace. Slight Achilles tenderness on left side. Seems ok but can feel it a little so will take it easy on tomorrows long run. 

Looks like being another warm day today. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Oh thats sad TT, what a terrible shock that few days was. Best wishes to you all.

SJ - defo warm again, it was 27 when i got back this morning.

10m today, legs were aching late on after ydays long run.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TT - All my best wishes to you and your family, sounds like your dad had a good innings with the warmth of the reception your family had.
    TR - Great tenacity and motivation to knock out a 20 mile run in those temperatures.  Inspiring.
    Jooligan - That's a cool gig, have fun and well done on fitting in the 10m runs with the heat/ commitments.

Still XT, 20m bike this morning, feeling fresher and knee improving.  Likely we need to have a hot weather kit list for the race in France so my wife just ordered me a 'good luck' Saharan/ Legionnaires running hat, which is needed to pass the kit list inspection but possibly will never got worn. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Commiserations TT, it is always a tough and melancholy time when the old folks leave us.  That sounds like a fabulous send off for him though.

On my way back today.  4 days sitting in a field in 30+ degrees was a form of endurance in itself!  All the cider is gone.  I did manage one run on Friday morning, 7.30 start to avoid the peak heat of the day. Back to the routine tomorrow.

OO.. I've got one of those caps from my Himalayan trekking days, it came in very useful this weekend.  Good to see your knee is settling down.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss, TippTop, and particularly sorry that you weren't able to get back to Ireland as quickly as would have been ideal.

OO, I hope the knee settles.  You've got so many miles (and metres of ascent/descent) in the bank, that hopefully you'll not lose much (if any) fitness, with all that cross-training.

SJ: good luck with the continued DIY!

A brief comeback for me at the Midlands League division 1 match yesterday - we had a relegation battle on our hands and were short on numbers given the holiday period, so I dug out my club vest for old times' sake.  I'm not sure I'd recommend doing a 5,000m at 4.30pm on one of the warmest days of the year if you really aren't very fit anymore, but I managed to stay within 1min/mile of PB pace, and ran 21.29 for 3rd B string.  More importantly, we avoided relegation, and it was fun to see everyone again, and cheer them on.  I honestly enjoy watching my friends do well more than watching a world record chase at a Diamond League!  It hasn't made me want to get back to training hard, but I might dabble with league cross-country to see everyone and keep in touch.
  • Options
    Wardi - Well done on "surviving" the festival in the heatwave. 

OO - Good to read of improvement in the knee and feeling fresher generally. 

TR - Superb "backing up" that long run with another double digit run. 

Joolska - Nice one on putting yourself forward to help your club out. The camaraderie is one of the main reasons I keep my membership going. Good to read you might indulge in some XC too. 

22 miles this morning in increasing temps despite getting going at 7:30am. The last 45 mins were tough.

Achilles grumbling a bit more today. Will asses how it settles down. Of concern is the fact this was how my issues started this time last year which cost me several months. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    That hat sounds a good idea OO, i soak my running cap in cold water before i run at the mo. It dried pretty quick today though......i needed that 20 after missing 2 weekends in a row, and with a 1/2 mara next weekend.

Great that you enjoyed it jools, good idea with the xc as its not something you can compare finish time wise, so is low pressure.

Well done on the 22 SJ, i need to get further than 20 a few times. Hope the achilles settles, get on the ice.

Didnt get out til 11 today as i went walking with the spo and doggy first, thought id play it by ear as it was still pretty warm, but felt ok so the intended 5 or 6 became another 10. IoW 1/2 doesnt start till 11.30 so ill running at mid day next sunday.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Thank you all; much appreciated. 

sj - nice tempo and nicely done on bagging the long run too! I need to start doing some, even if I just jog them initially.

TR - hopefully the temps are cooler by next Sunday for your HM!

Jools - well done on turning out for the track race. I'm planning on doing a few xc this year too, dates allowing. It's a lot of fun and a good tough workout even (moreso?) if not fit.

OO - good news on the knee improvement. Fingers crossed it carries on like that.

Sounds like a good weekend Wardi!

I followed the Aussie playbook of 1 week off = 4 days of 30-40min easy runs. Going to try regain some structure today.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Sorry been a bit rubbish in keeping up with stuff on here. A mixture of out of the habit, absolutely crazy busy at work and then I somehow locked myself out of my account and I couldn't be arsed to sort it all out! I hope everyone is well.

Lovely to see joolska back doing a bit! I know you've had a few issues, so it's lovely to see you out there and (hopefully) enjoying it for what it is.

TT - as elsewhere, I was very sorry to hear about your Dad :(

SJ - you mentioned a while back some heel slippage issues on the 1080s. I'm assuming you've tried this, but have you tried the 'runner's knot' method (looping back through using that extra eye hole at the top). I have this issue on a lot of my shoes and this (mostly) works for me. If you're still having no joy Google 'heel grips' - they're an adhesive silicone type pad that you stick on the inside of the heel counter. If you try this maybe put your shoes on with a shoe horn in there too, cos you can pull them away when you're putting your foot in/out - these did the trick for me on a couple of pairs of Nike shoes. Interestingly I've got some 1080s and don't have an issue with those!

Also SJ - re the achilles. I know you've mentioned the 1080, do you still wear any support shoes (I think you were an Asics 1000/2000 man?) as part of your rotation? I've had achilles bother on and off for 15+ years. Rotating between a neutral shoe and then something like an NB860 or Saucony Omni seems to (touch wood) keep things at bay for me. Good luck anyway.

Lots of decent racing over the past 2 weeks by lots of other folks as well. Lots of age group wins - mostly cos we're all old! :)
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    And speaking of age group wins. I did a 10k yesterday - the rather grandly titled 'Workington Festival of Running'. The 10k didn't start til 1:30 (prob 1:40 by the time we got going) so the heat was absolutely savage. I pretty much had a solo effort in 5th spot (1st old stoat) in 39'10ish. Fair bit slower than I hoped when I entered, but it was pretty hard going.

Sadly the fella I went with collapsed at about 8k. Full on just keeled over. Hit the floor face first (he was out so didn't break his fall at all). He then rolled sideways into a load of gorse and nettles. Ambulance job, drip etc etc. Luckily he's ok but I think he really frightened himself, and he was pretty ill last night. Seen him today and he's pretty sore - gravel rash, a lot of cuts/scrapes and loads of nettle stings. But he'll be ok. A fella from a local club stopped when he saw him. I think it's obvious when someone is in a proper bad way, and my friend was. This chap ended up DNFing himself as he stayed until the proper Paramedics arrived. I was pleased to find him after the presentation and I gave him my prize (Amazon voucher, so no big deal really). But I felt it was the least I could do. So an interesting day!

Oh and in other news I've taken the plunge and entered Abingdon. I'm on hol for 2 weeks in Kefalonia in the build up (get back 3 weeks before race day) so I'm not sure how that will go, but not to worry. Sure I'll be ok!

Will try and read/post more regularly if I can - but it's crackers busy in the Lakes at the mo and there aren't enough hours in the day!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. 'Workington Festival of running sounds very glamorous 🤭  Congrats on the A/G prize, certainly was a steamy weekend for racing.  Good to hear your mate is ok, I did have heat exhaustion after a hot race once and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

TR/SJ.. top work getting those long runs in over the weekend, getting out early or running at night seem to be the only options to escape the heat!

Eased my way back with a warm 5m yesterday.  4m done this morning with another 7m planned with the club later.  Definitely fresher today but a brief shower last night is the only rain we've had here.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers LS21. Sounds rough for your mate. Top marks to the chap who looked after him (and a nice touch for you to give him your prize). Oh, and well done yourself too.

Nice easing back in Wardi

8m yesterday as 5m easy, 3m steady (6:33). 12m very easy today (7:57). Body is feeling the effects of copious amounts of alcohol and nicotine put through it whilst in Ireland but I'm sure it'll come around - slowly slowly catchee monkey as it were.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one on the AG prize LS, good to see you racing again too. Glad your mate is ok. I hope to do Abo, but its only 3 wks after london so it depends how smashed up i am.

Wardi - good to get moving again.

TT - 12m is a long way already. Keep sweating the toxins out.

Logistics needed a double today, ended up with 10m (inc 3min reps) and 7m, so decent marathon stuff. Good going after a very achey and  tired 10m yday evening.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    TR - Those longer long runs do replicate the latter stages nicely. Good prep on the later start for next Sunday then. 

LS21 - Thanks for the feedback and well remembered on the Asics front! I have tried the loop back trick in the v11 1080's. I genuinely think it's to do with the lack of a conventional heel counter. The v11 have this super soft material that offers almost no support. They look different again on the latest v12 from online photos. 

Also, yes I was Asics 1000/2000 but switched to Saucony a few years back. Started off in the Guide's then transitioned to the Ride's as the support shoe/neutral shoe seemed to be converging. I do still have a pair of Guide's which I pop on a couple of times a week to mix things up. The NB was an effort to try something really cushioned and luxurious to run in with their new "fresh foam X" tech. I'll try the newer version to see if any different. 

Sounded a tough 10k so well done on the first vet prize. Agree the bigger picture was your buddy being ok all things considered.

I can imagine you're having to make "hay while the sun shines" up there. Good stuff on the Abo entry too. I'm sure you'll fit the training in somehow. It's what we do best after all. 

TT - Understandable that running has taken a backseat this past week or so. The Aussie playbook is the way to go in getting back going again. I'll be doing a bit of that second half of this week I think. 

Wardi - Also easing back nicely. Good to see. No rain here yet but its blowing for it tonight with that famous Manchester "slate grey sky". 

After Sunday's run I had a decision to make. Facing almost the exact same flare up as last summer I decided to listen to my "sensible self" and not ignore the early symptoms of achilles tendonipathy. I took yesterday and today off running and basically got stuck into calf raises and heel drops to get some blood flow going. The rest days were purely to let it settle down. I remember from last years fizz visits that so long as there is no serious pain I should continue to run as stopping completely won't make it better. 

Hopefully I've caught it in time. This week was always going to be an easier week since I have a 20 mile race in Lancaster on Sunday. I will see how the next couple of easy run days go before making a decision on that. 
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Just about to head out here - back to normality it seems, it's currently 8C!

wardi - good stuff. Also not sure if you're doing it (might be too close to Chester) but I entered the VoY Half last night. Be good to see a few old friends there :)

TT - understandable on the toxins front! You'll be back to normal soon. Just take care and be kind to yourself xx

TR - 2 solid days there, well done!

SJ - good stuff mate, sounds like you know what you're doing. Must say I've not been massively impressed with the 1080s. I won't buy any more. If you're after plush cushioning then I think the Glycerin takes some beating. I really liked my older version of theTriumph too, but the new ones seem a bit firmer (maybe they just need breaking in). However, if you're after something ludicrously cushioned/bouncy then see if you can try on some Nike Invincibles (they've just brought v2 out, so there might be some v1s going cheap). I bought some on impulse at the Nike outlet in Gretna. They're the strangest shoe I've ever worn, and I absolutely love them (but could see that others would hate them). Like having 2 massive marshmallows/trampolines under your feet. The sole is 100% Zoom X (what they use in the Alphafly), but it doesn't have a carbon plate. They are ridiculously cushioned, pretty stable (they're pretty wide) and not that heavy. Oh and I'm at Trimpell on Sunday too - purple vest with 'DAC' on the back. I'm a long way out from Abo so I'm planning to run it quite hard, but not silly. I'll see you there :)
  • Options
    SJ - very sensible sounding there for a runner. I'm still managing the achilles but generally getting through OK and most importantly getting out the door. Good luck in Lancaster if it happens.
    TT - sorry for your loss but sounds like a proper send off. You'll be back in the groove quickly I'm sure.
    Joolska - don't knock the diamond league too much ;) good to get involved, and earn some vital points. when running can be so solo sometimes it's undoubtedly nice to get some team action as well.

5 miles plod Monday. 4 miles today where I felt good so pushed the pace to a sub 7 min/mile average. May pay a little for it but HR was sensible and I actually enjoyed the effort.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.   yes I'll be at the VOY half, it's in our club Champs so quite a few of our runners will be there.  Be aware they have moved the start HQ a few times due to land permissions etc.  It is now in a stubbly corn field in the middle of nowhere.  ;) Apart from one railway bridge flatter than a billiard table!

I know of at least one clubmate doing Trimpell, in current form he should be close to 2 hours.  Tall lad with a mop of curly hair surmounted by a baseball cap.  Wayne's the name.

SJ.. hope the old niggle settles down, sensible to rest it.

TR.. cracking double yesterday, good miles clocked up.

Joe.  sounds like a bit of progress, long may it continue.

Jools.. hope you enjoyed getting the competitive juices flowing again, and nice work on avoiding relegation.  Don't suppose they have parachute payments in running club leagues. 😊

10.6m today, fresher feel in the air.  We did get a bit of welcome rain last night. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Well done SJ, good to remember where you were and hold back for a few days. Hope it settles quick. You always know when youve been feeling better as you let the rehab and prehab slide.

Joe  - you are making progress then.

LS - i find Pegs the best value all rounders, bought a couple of pairs at £48 this week, Rides and 1080s are more like 80ish even when on offer.

Wardi - good going on the 10m. We had rain yday too, first time for weeks and weeks.

Only the minimal 5m commute back in today. My back/hip has been grumbly recently, probably all the hills and trail races, and yday it was radiating down my leg causing weakness and making the quad weak by my knee. So similar to SJ, need to get on the spiky ball and exercises. Im off work for a week now so i can choose to run on the flat too which will help, altgough i cant avoid hills sunday at IoW. Some of those runs in Devon were straight up a ridiculous climb from the front door, which wasnt ideal from cold.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    I remember having the same problem in Devon years ago TR. I stayed in a farmhouse and it was a stiff 3-400m climb up to the road. I'm not surprised you've got grumbles after the climbs and double with quality on Tuesday. Good to see you being sensible
    I love the Pegs (as long as it's dry). Where did you find them for £48? 

sj - as with TR, good to see sensibility. You could always do the 20m as an easy long run if you come around by then - offer to pace somebody to keep you sensible.

LS21 - I'd never even heard of the Invincibles but they sound right up my street for gentle stuff - currently wearing NB 411 v2 which are ok, but the Nike revolutions are a bit hard underfoot for my liking.

joe - thank you, and good to see you continuing to improve. 

Wardi - we had downpours here yesterday but it still didn't clear the mugginess. Even this morning it's still sticky.

A 3m jog/10m track double yesterday, and 8m very easy this morning in the bag. Jog was an 8:50 average, and the 'very easy' this morning averaged 7:56 (spent most of it over 8m/m) so proper relaxed.

Track was 2 sets of 10 x 300m. 70s recoveries and 5mins between sets. I aimed to just run smoothly and try get my internal metronome working again. First set came out as 8 x 57s, a 58 (lots of overtaking) and a 56. 2nd set was all 56' and 57 but finished with a 55 and 52 for the last two reps. It felt cruisy and relaxed, and was actually just what I needed.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - I think us speed stallions, are not really designed for the hills  ;)
    TT - A great session after a tough week for you.  Cruisy and relaxed sounds really good. 
    LS21 - Nice to see you back, and in terrific form too.  Eventful last race and congrats on the AG win. 
    SJ - Completely the right thing to do to cutback to ensure no ongoing issues with the achilles to derails your recent training.  Its always a shame/ the case we get these injuries,  when training is going well/ too well.
    Joe - Good to see you back in the groove. Onwards and upwards. 
    Wardi - A nice refreshing 10m in the rain. 

This time next week, will be well into my race.  Thankfully my sore knee is improving, so went for my first run in a week yesterday. Thought a 5K progressive run on a local grassy field would be better than a general hilly plod with the miles came out 7.15, 6.15 and 5.37 - which surprised me! More XT and maybe another 5K on Friday and then off to the Alps on Sunday.  
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. good news on the knee, that's a decent 5k blast too.  You have trained well so I hope your Alps trip is a blast.

TT.. nice track session there.  I was just wondering which of us had the most sozzled time last weekend.  I did try to intersperse the cider with the odd glug of water to stay hydrated. 🤪

TR.. I was in Devon and Cornwall a few years back for a family wedding.  I don't remember many flat bits!

Easier day today, 5.5m done.  Had a biopsy done at the hospital this afternoon.  I now have  2 stitches in my neck (under the chin) and a big dressing so I currently look like a wounded soldier!  Precautionary as I had a small scab that wouldn't go away.  It seems they always check out lumps on skin.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - 300s is nippy stuff.........my Devon climb was 400ft and depending which way you went it was within the first 3/4 mile or you could stretch it out to about 1.5m.........peg 38s are £60 on nike website, i had a voucher for another 20%. It said the voucher was valid until November, but i didnt realise i could only use it once, or id have waited until November and used it on a new pair of Ali Baba shoes and maximised the 20%.

OO - thats sharp, dont be running that fast on race day!

Wardi - hope you heal soon, ive had a few things cut away.

My body is out of whack on the left side, the weak left quad is now a stuck neck, shoulder, upper back, hip etc where its difficult to look to the left. Spiky ball and stretches being applied.

10m yday, standard sunday race 5m today inc a few strides, hops and skips trying to get firing.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    After her 5000 yday, eilish mc was a bit of a "we'll see" when they asked her about london, she is probably on a big appearance fee, but has little chance of being marathon ready in 6 weeks.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - tasty progressive 5km, if maybe slightly extreme as a knee test!

Wardi - fingers crossed; better safe than sorry. I occasionally remembered I hadn't drunk water and would down a pint or two, so with that and coffee I was pretty well hydrated.

TR - check out keller-sports.co.uk for trainers. I signed up for the premium membership which gives an extra 10% off all purchases, plus you get weekly offers/discounts too. I got a pair of Alphafly for ~£170 when Nike still had them for £270. I usually get Pegs for under £60 (but not £48) with the discounts, and there are usually offers on random Vaporfly as well.
    Hopefully you can ease your left side off for Sunday.

Time on feet 18 today. 14 very easy (8:03), 3 easy (7:38), 1 brisk (7:04). Probably the first time in ages I've managed a MLR and a long in the same week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. good progressive long run there, you should get a decent week's mileage in with the MLR.

TR.. hope you can get the old body back in kilter.  Nice tapering, all the best for Sunday.

I currently have a huge plaster on my neck which I can take off tomorrow.  After that I've been told to apply Vaseline to the wound twice daily - something I guess all runners will have!

9m today, a pleasant breeze out there.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 18 TT, yes Pegs for under 60 is good business

Wardi - always got some vaseline and sudocrem on the go. Forgot to say my 5m yday was a rain all the way job, hasnt happened in a while.

4m easy today
  • Options
    OO - forgot to say I think it was a good swerve of Port Talbot last week. 35 degrees on the Saturday and then 33 when I was driving back Sunday. Very pleasant in the Mumbles though. Good going next week, excited for you!
    TT - impressive shoe purchasing. Good mileage there. Good to get done.
    Wardi - safe healing. Breeze definitely up but nice change from how still and muggy it has been. Nice 9 miler.
    TR - agree its a stretch for Eilish to get ready but she'll be doing decent mileage anyway so maybe if she can throw in a few long runs she'll get through. her halves were impressive.

Parkrun this morning. 20:09. so I've gone a little backwards in the last 7 weeks. Bit of a worry but I did have covid a month back I guess. I'm giving myself 12 weeks from now to try to see some progress.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. that's a solid Parkrun as a comeback.  Your speed will surely return in the next few weeks.

TR.. we're due a wet day on Monday though fine tomorrow.  Hope the weather is set fair for your race.

5.5m today, blowing a hoolie here.  Calmer tomorrow so will get out for a longer run.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    OO - Nippy 5k grass session that. Glad the knee is improving everyday. You sound ready and raring to go. Cotten wool time. 

LS21 - Interesting shoe talk. I’ve taken delivery of my first pair of Hoka shoes. My son runs in them so I did some research and opted for their neutral offering, Ricon 3, in a wide fitting. I’ll see how they shape up on some easy trots. Green Sale vest tomorrow. Hoping to run well and no reaction from the Achilles.

TT - Tasty 300s session in the week backed up by the 18 miler. Good to read the spring in your step returning. 

TR - Sounds like your body is really creaking. Hope you can iron things out but take it easy whilst things settle. Hope you have a good run tomorrow. 

Wardi - Hope the wound is healing and not bothering you too much. Good to take no prisoners with anything that doesn’t need to be there. Same re wind here today. I was tidying my shed today and had a faff trying to fold large dust sheets in the blustery conditions. 

Joe - You might not have gone backwards if covid derailed you a week or two as you alluded to. It’s a marker for where you currently are so something to work off.

I’ve had an easy week with tester runs of 30-40 mins with lots of s&c and stretching. The Achilles feels fine but I can sense some weakness on the left side. Very tight calves as ever. Nowhere near as bad as last summer so that’s promising. I still have good knee to wall distance and range of motion is good. 

I will run defensively at first and play it by ear in tomorrows 20 mile race. After 8 consistent weeks of training I think I was due an easier week. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. hope the 20m went to plan, ditto TR hope you had a good race.

Just over 18m this morning, got a bit hot & bothersome in the last few miles so was grateful for a bottle of water I'd stashed away at 13m.
    Brings me up to 66m for the week.

SJ.. thanks re the wound, the dressing is off now and It's getting the Vaseline treatment, all seems well.  Stitches out on Friday.