Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Another 10m here, had intended a long run but FIL has been off colour this week so life got in the way.  Hope to get a long run done in next 2/3 days.  Managed 60m for the week so ticking over ok.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    OO - immense! What an achievement, to be on the podium in a race of that magnitude. Superb! A great prize/memento too!

TR - good week that. Well chugged out yesterday.

Good miles from wardi too. Sorry to hear about your FiL - hopefully he's feeling better soon.

Not much to report this week really. A good mileage week (82), with a couple of 14/15s midweek and then a 21 today. The 21 was hard work. I ran with a mate who's more of a fell/ultra runner really and he's training for 'Lakes in a Day' (50 miles) on the same weekend as London. So we headed to Whinlatter, which is trail but hilly - England's only mountain forest I think. Anyway, 21 chugged out at a blistering 8'38 avg. There were a couple of miles north of 10 in there too, and I was working hard! The first 4 were straight uphill to the top of Lords Seat. A glorious day and we were running by 6:30am, so we had the place to ourselves. And the view/panorama was fabulous. So a decent week but need to get into the hurt box a bit more this week I think.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hope FiL is ok

LS - thats sounds a great long run. You defo didnt need to push last wk, so you've done the right thing. You've a recent 3.0X, and a 20m race in the bank, plenty of time for a few sessions.

Been a bit under the weather, but of lurgy and dodgy tum, so only 6m Sunday and 5m yday. RHR was normal today and felt ok ish after a few miles so aimed for 10 and felt ok so ended up with 15m.
  • Options

OO – Fantastic effort. Gotta love both the result and the process you went through to get it. Enjoy the easier run for a while. Incidentally, a Youtuber I follow Ben Parkes was 7 hours into the UTMB and took a tumble, had to pull out and it took him 20 hours to get back to Chamonix. It sure is tough out there.

Wardi – nice bit of cross training and good parkrun result. That truly is a stacked field at the 5k. Not quite as stacked as antrim though I suspect?

LS21 – big week and big long run there. You’re sure to see the benefit of that.

TR – Decent mileage there, hopefully the lurgy is largely behind.

Life just didn’t lend itself to running last week so just the 14 miles made up of two 7 milers. No stretching or strengthening either. 5.5 miles today. Physio has discharged me as knee and achilles haven’t been causing me many issues recently. So it’s over to me to keep on with my exercises and try to build up my fitness.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Top notch long run early doors LS21, sounds a toughie though a very scenic one!  Good week on the mileage front too.

TR.. glad the lurgy was short-lived, nice work pushing on from 10m to 15m.

FIL (in his 80's)had a bit of a bad turn last week and hospital found some internal bleeding from the gut.  He's patched up and back home now in good spirits.  His legs are a bit weak due to lack of use so he's asked to borrow my ankle weights!

Steady 5m yesterday.  Had a window of opportunity this morning so got out for 17.5m around the country lanes. Quite warm in the latter stages.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the congratulations, much appreciated. 

That's a great week LS21, rounded off with a top 21m.
    Good you have been discharged by the physio Joe, hopefully a question of managing the load now. 
    Good to see the 15m TR and the lurgy is behind you. 

Leaving Geneva today, had a super few days here. Have come out of the race really well , far better than a fast road marathon, just sore quads. Went for a lovely 7m yesterday and 8m today around Lac Leman and had a few swims in the warm lake. 
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds idyllic! Good stuff re the recovery too. Hope you have a safe journey back!

TR - sorry to hear you've not been 100%. Top work on the 15 though.

Ditto wardi - a very tasty 17.5m midweeker. Glad the FiL seems to be on the mend.

Joe - good news re the physio discharge. Just be sensible and it'll soon come back. Hopefully you get your mojo back soon, keep at it mate.

I hope saintjason is ok? He's not posted since immediately after Trimpell. Hopefully just busy and not a recurrence of the achilles woes (or similar). If you're reading mate, I hope you're ok.

Had to change my plans a wee bit this week. The shop has been absolutely crazy busy over the B/H weekend so I had to make an unplanned visit to the wholesalers early yesterday morning for some more stock. That meant my running window was basically 5:30am-6:45ish. So I decided to do a bit of a session. Short warm up (about 1k) and then 4 x 2 miles off circa 500m (2 mins 30ish) jog. There's a 2.3 mile loop round the periphery of the village that's relatively flat, so I just ran round that 4 times! First mile slightly downhill, 2nd slightly up. Took a little while to get going, but pleased with the session. 

6'07, 6'20
    6'06, 6'12
    6'02, 6'11
    5'59, 6'12

1k cool down so just over 10 miles in about 66 mins.

And then done a ploddy 8 this morn to give me 308 for the month. On to September. September! This year has absolutely flown by!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Mrs TT is 8+ months and counting. She has come a long way but still way off where she was. Sorry to hear about FiL, but sounds like he's coming around. Solid parkrunning too.

LS21 - great training!

TR - sorry to read you were feeling unwell but sounds like you've bounced back ok. Managed to finish episode 1 of the Creighton podcast (turns out it's really hard to listen to anything with kids on holidays!). Great listen. No rocket science, but Creighton's analogy of only going to 4th gear in sessions and saving 5th for race day resonated as that's the approach I've been trying to take.

Took Thursday off last week, and was still so tight by Friday that I managed 0.5m. Saturday off, and then got out for a very easy 5m on Sunday with Jr. Felt awful Monday so took that off too, but by yesterday I was starting to feel better so managed a 4m jog/9m easy double.
    Today will be a jog, and track, which all being well should see me sneak over 200 for the month. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good news on being discharged, you've given them enough time and money.

Well done LS, if that comes in as 1/2 pace (which wouldn't be unreasonable) then you are in good nick.

That'll trip him up Wardi

OO - good that you had a few extra days

TT - agreed, it's a good listen.

The lurgy left me a bit ligtheaded (bit like earlier in year) but might have been due to the tummy issues. Started off a bit slow again today on my commute home but improved and did 10m.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. sorry to see your Mrs is still on a slow recovery journey.  Speaking of long term illness our I see our old chum Mr Spraggins seems to be going through bad times recently and long before.  Lack of energy, feeling lousy, depression etc. The medical people he's seen have drawn a blank so far.  Sad to see him in such despair, this is the same guy that ran round the London marathon in trunks and a set of goggles!

LS21.  that is a fine session to nail, particularly at sparrow o'clock!  Cracking monthly total as well.  Good to hear the shop is buzzing too.

OO.. sounds like you have celebrated well and enjoyed the postrace days.  A warm lake must seem very welcoming.  

TR.. great work grinding out another double digit run.

Joe.. hope you can make steady progress after leaving the physio's supervision, best of luck.

5.5m this morning, legs were a bit better than expected after yesterday's effort.  Decided to make it a double with 4.3m later on.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    TR - I ran track last night with the 'stick to 4th gear' in mind. A slightly dodgy tummy probably saw me at the top end of 4th, possibly ticking over, by the end, but it's a good way to keep in mind to run relaxed rather than hard.

Wardi - I've spoken to Joe and told him what Mrs TT was doing, as a lot of his symptoms could potentially have been covid, but if he has done anything with that it doesn't seem to have helped him unfortunately. He's having a hard run of it at the moment which is a shame as he's a nice guy.

Track last night. Aim was to a) complete the session, and b) focus on running relaxed rather than hard. 6 x 800 + 3 x (400, 300, 200). 80s between the 800s (4mins after the last) and then 1min recoveries for the rest. 
    Ended up with (2:44, 42, 43, 43, 41, 42) + 76, 55,34 / 76, 55, 34 / 76, 54, 33. Monthly mileage was understandably low (202) but slow signs of improvement.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Ow do,

TR - cheers, but I very much doubt that will translate as half pace. I'm not sure it would even translate as 10m pace! I was proper blowing at the end. Nicely done on another 10. Good mileage given you're not feeling 100%

wardi - tasty double there, well done old bean :)

TT - that looks like a great session. Excellent consistency on the splits, so well done!

Strange one for me this morn. I felt absolutely shattered yesterday (I actually fell asleep standing up at one point!) Had a good feed last night and a bit of Vitamin X (couple of beers and a Gu cheesecake for pud). Up at 5:00 this morn as usual and I was shattered. I just couldn't face the thought of another run. But after a coffee I felt a bit better so deliberated what to do. Considered going out after work, even looked at the club session that's on this eve (waste of time, some social trail run bollocks) so I put my stuff on and decided to set off quite slowly. If I wasn't feeling it I was just going to do 5ish really easy, but after 1k I actually felt ok so ended up doing 15 miles at a fair old clip. Funny old game!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - i dont reckon id get anywhere near 5th gear in training, and struggle to get there in lower level races. But Creighton was very restrained as he trained in groups.

LS - 8m of effort is a lot, so it can't be equivalent to short distance pace. Good going today, sounds like my 15m Tuesday (although i dont eat desserts).

11m this morning inc 14x3min, needed a double in order to be able to run in tomorrow and then bike home, so 5m easy home again. 2nd 2hr+ day of the week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good planning for that juicy double TR, 16m is decent miles for today.

LS21.. a very nice MLR after a sluggish start to the day.  Werthers mints are obviously the answer. 🤗

10.3m today, still dry & warm but the heatwave seems to have gone for now.

• Options
    LS21 - Ha ha, nice one, whereas I felt great at the start and bailed after 4 slow miles. 
    TT - Your making good progress and thats a commendably good track session. 
    TR - Thats a great days training, speed and distance, nice one.
    Wardi - 10m is always a good run.  Yes, starting to feel nippy now.

Pretty tired after last weeks efforts, not helped by a delayed flight so didn't get home until around 4 am yesterday morning, then up at 6.45 am for work - luckily working from home.  So after the sluggish 4m this morning, did an even more sluggish 4.5m this evening in the Cornish drizzle!.  But great to be out with no after-effects from the race. 

• Options
    Wardi - nice 17.5 miler. Pity it's cooling down. Seems there's quite a bit of rain on the way. Few months off gloves though hopefully!
    TT - Incredibly consistent times on those reps. Experience showing!
    LS21 - Cracking monthly mileage, no wonder you're going well, but also tired. Nice feeling to be able to get past that and run well.
    TR - Good time on feet and mileage. 14x3 minutes goes someway beyond Yelling's old session.
    OO - Couldn't afford yourself a little more of a lie in? Welcome back!

9 miles today in a shade under 8 min/miles. Starting to feel more comfortable and relaxed out on the run. Got some stretching in as well. Must be tired though as neither myself or my wife set an alarm last night and despite going to bed at 10 we woke up at 9.30! Alright for some I guess :)

• Options
    TR - a lot of the group I'm in go hard. With the younger ones in the group it's sometimes because there's such a big gap between their race paces due to still developing aerobic ability, but some people really do seem to go at their training hammer and tongs. I'll be honest, it all seems like far too much effort; lol. 
    Great volume and nicely done with the 14 x 3mins in it too!

LS21 - good bouncebackability!

OO - painful with the flight delay/work combo!!

joe - continued progress - good news!!
  • Options
    OO: I'm sufficiently paranoid about that sort of thing that I always have the first working day after I arrive back booked off.  The stress of theoretically being in court but being stuck in an airport somewhere freaks me out way too much!

I've just done 5 and 6 mile easy runs this week to ensure I don't overwork the slightly weak ankle, plus I gave blood on Tuesday, which always leaves me a bit tired.  Maybe I need whatever magic potion worked so well for LS21 ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one on the 10 wardi. Are you doing Chester or York?

Joe - thats 2 nights sleep for me.

OO - sounds a tough day back at home. Good that yr legs are good already.

TT - it's the group thing for sure. Any session I do is early doors in a lumpy commute, so its never going to be real quality, doesn't matter though.

Jools - beer and cheesecake then!

5m today, legs were real achey and tired.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. that's a well earned easier day.  Chester for me, there's about a dozen from my club going so a group day out of sorts.  I've done York 5 times so I might possibly have retired from that one!

Joe.. I did sleep almost as long as that after the 24hr Endure event, due no doubt to a mere 3.5hrs sleep the night before. 🥴  

TT.. top effort in that track session. Good to hear you've had a chat with Joe, must be difficult for him to keep his chin up when there seems no end in sight 

OO.. Hope you enjoyed that tired mini double, I do like to get out in the fresh air even if I feel a bit fatigued.

5.5m easy today, my usual Parkrun plus a few miles planned for tomorrow.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Morning all,

TR - ha, cheers! I'm not a big dessert person myself tbh (although I am partial to be a bit of Greek yog after my evening meal). I drink very little alcohol too really, but on Wed my body just seemed to be craving a bit of 'crap' so to speak. So a bit of sugar and a few hops and I was fine! Well done on the big double day by the way. That MLR with 14 x 3 mins looked tough enough on its own!

joolska - well done for being sensible and ticking over. Hope the ankle is ok.

wardi - nice mileage and I hope the parkrun goes well.

Joe - great news! Onwards and upwards!

OO - welcome back! Got to love the Cornish drizzle (sounds like an exotic topping for a cake)

Just back from 13.5 here. I ran with a mate. I sold it to him as 12 at 7'45s, so we naturally ran a mile and a half further at 15 secs a mile quicker :)  Got a long one planned for tomorrow too as got a cut back week next week. Currently eating the post-run breakfast of champions - chicken fillets with a pint mug of tea. Magic.

Oh and up my way the record for doing the fastest Bob Graham round was broken yesterday. Previously held by Kilian Jornet, but an American chap took almost 30 mins off his time. Impressive stuff.

Right, off to work - have a good day all!
  • Options
    LS21 - I actually lol'd at your run description. How did your mate take it? Good run too btw.

Wardi - I remember how tough it was getting diagnosed with fibro, and the months before where I thought I'd lost my marbles. It was a scary time so I can empathise with Joe S. Hopefully he gets answers soon. 

TR - as Jonesy was known to say, it's the effort that counts.

Having a reasonable week. Thursday was a 5/7 jog double (both 8:4x), yesterday was 15 (7 easy, 6 steady, 2 jog) + a 3.5m jog, and today was 10.6 with 20 minutes of surges (3 x 3mins @ HM-MP + 1 x 2min @ 5km effort - 3mins easy between all).
    A very easy hour tomorrow +/- will see my week out. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21.. nice work getting that impromptu 13.5m done, hope tomorrow's long run goes well.  I'll add your athlete dietary tips to Charlie W's marathon eve treats of extra thick jam sandwiches and 4 packs of Soreen loaf.

TT.. that looks like a consistent week with plenty of variety.  Re long covid a teenage girl on our local TV this week has gone from a lively active girl to needing a wheelchair at times.  Very sad to see.

21.57 at Parkrun, 1 second slower than last week!  Quite pleased with that as I've done plenty of miles this week so legs not particularly fresh.
    Made that up to 10m before & after.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    TT - it's now an 'in joke' really that my runs are never as advertised. I did the other thing I always seem to do today too. The Garmin beeped for a mile split and it was 6'5x, so I said 'we'd best knock it back mate' - next mile, 6'4x. Par for the course! :smiley:  Good run today and a nice week!

wardi - good effort that. Where were you today. York? Well done anyway chap. Oh and my diet mostly involves eating stuff that's not sold in the shop and has gone out of date. That's where the chicken fillets came in (4 of em!) and the Gu cheesecake from earlier this week. At present it looks like I've got some grass-fed Belted Galloway Rib-Eye steak for tea. Tough times.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one on doing Chester then Wardi, there will be more from here there than London

LS - i drink more than enough beer for you and me put together, should start winding it down for London soon, well done today. You were done before i even went out as i was avoiding a soaking.

TT - good week that

Legs were pretty ropey as expected, when i went out. Started pissing down just as i got back from doggy walk, so i waited for it to stop and didnt run til 10am, and was wet through within a few miles anyway due to it being so humid. Pushed on a little in the 2nd half and ended up with 22m in 2:58. Which was a much needed time on feet. 79m for the week, 4 wks til the b of the bang.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo TR, good effort in the damp.  Light rain here early on but stopped by Parkrun.  Still no sign of a deluge here so far.

Big Half marathon on BBC red button tomorrow morning 08.10am (08.30 start).  Mo & Eilish running apparently. 

LS21.  aye, York Parkrun - handy for me & the Mrs.  She is currently winning our mini A/G contest - she's on 81-83% vs my 75-77%.  Poor show from me really 🤔
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Strong week and a fine looking long run TR. All coming together nicely for London. Aiming to better last year's time, I ask as you finished like a train then. 
    TT - That's a really good week of running, is there a race in the near distance for you?
    LS21 - Eating better than an Emperor, tough times indeed. Nice one on the speedier than sold 12m. I saw that with the American dude, impressive, quite a chunk off the FKT.
    Jools - I am no longer that conscientious, but your job does have very specific time requirements, whereas I can phone in.
    Wardi - Decent PR and afters.
    SJ - Hope the achilles is OK and Chester still looking good. Going to be in your neck of the words next week, toying with the Sale water PR.

Recovery week, 50m done with a 11m today in the sun with London and New Forest marathon bound mates. Legs feel heavy but that's to be expected. Might restart the 10k TT later this week as need to get some speed back for my October marathon, maybe Majorca maybe an alternative. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's not a bad recovery week OO, onwards and upwards to the next marathon!

Another 10m today, that brings up 67m for the week.  A bit of light rain this morning and evening but very humid today.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    wardi - good stuff at York. The last time I was on the parkrun course was for my warm down after the Brass Monkey in 2016. I’d given it absolute beans in the race and I was all over the place! My legs were inadvertently pulling off moves that Shakin’ Stevens would have been proud of. The most ill-advised ‘warm down’ I’ve ever done! Also because it was about -3 and I was freezing!! Good stuff on the wava score. I’ve still not got higher than 79.xx yet. Hopefully soon! Nice 10 and a good week too. 

TR - well done yesterday! A cracking run and a cracking week, 4 weeks pre-race. 

OO - glad you seem to be recovering nicely after your UTMB escapade. Majorca sounds nice! Similar climate to Abingdon I’m told. 

A ‘so-so’ run for me this morn. TBH I was due a cut back week this past week, but I’ve got a 5k pencilled in for this Wed eve and then Vale of York Half on Sun - so I postponed the cutback by 7 days to this coming week. Neither of those races coming up are of any real importance tbh, especially the 5k. It just replaces a session I would have done anyway. But it would be good to have a decent run in the half - to hopefully give me a little confidence booster and to give me a better idea of where I am in terms of Abingdon prep. The only drawback with doing that race is that wardi has entered too and I might see him. 

Anyway, I think today was one long effort too far in this little block. I still had a good run and a decent LSR, but I cut a loop out at the end as I really was flagging. My achilles was giving me a bit of grief from about 13 miles too, and I felt I had more to lose than gain by belligerently pushing on regardless. Said loop was hilly too, so that wasn’t going to help re my niggles. 

I’ve had a big 4 weeks and I'm knackered! The ‘cheesecake’ run was a warning I think. And in hindsight I should have done about 8 yesterday rather than 13ish, but not to worry. I’m sure the cutback week will serve me well and I’m still 7 weeks out yet. I still managed 80 for the week too, so a really good 4 week block and I’m pleased I had the sense to listen to my body a bit today and look at the big picture. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Wardi - it rained so hard here yday, that i turned round and went a different way after 3m yday, as i didnt want another 19m in wet socks and shoes after having a little ease through a flooded 10 metres.

OO - run in the sun with mates sounds good.........I'm not time focussed at the mo, but would love to run strong like last yr again, but not sure I'm as fit as then, and havnt run a mara since. Mulling over wether do do.my 13m TT next weekend (for comparisons sake). Who knows, ask me at 17m if i think im going to finish strong. Snoozing the first 10m has served me well in recent maras.

LS21 - very wise, youre in a good place, have a recent mara and 20m race to your name, and still have 7 more weeks, so loads of time for more long runs. And you don't need a long run every week anyway.

5m easy today, had to do a few chores ready for the bathroom refurb starting tomorrow. 

Same as LS im pretty smoked, and will aim for 3 key runs over the next 2 weeks - mlr, session and long run. In recent campaigns ive done 21m inc a timed 13.1 next Saturday, not sure i want to do that this time, will see how the week pans out.