Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you're on the mend Wardi. Glute bridging and clamshell helped me a bit.

TT - hopefully you are on the mend now. Might take a while to get past the 5m aches, but i found i could go further than 5m but on achey legs.

Coughed a lot saturday, yday afternoon was pretty sneezy, feel pretty normal today, so hopefully I'll get a negative result soon and can get moving again, all the inactivity is tedious.
  • Options
    Bad luck TR.
    TT yours sounds horrible, glad you’re over it & fingers crossed for your wife. Definitely attributing my ankle pain (post-tib tendinitis?) to racing XC just after covid but whilst still experiencing the joint/muscle aches & pains.
    No miraculous recovery for me yet but I did manage a hilly 15 Sunday & a flattish 15 today exploring Anglesey. No running yesterday but I climbed a few hills so walked about 11 miles in all.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. all the best for your recovery, long term niggles are a right PITA.

TT.. the medical advice is a maximum of 3 injections per year in one area.  I average 1 every 2-4 years and one injection does seem to cure me.

OO.. I did enter Valencia but having 2nd thoughts now due to travel difficulties.  I did insure the entry fee so would get most of it back if I dibbed out.  I am looking at other options, Amsterdam, Gran Canaria, Malaga, York!  What are the temps like in Gran Canaria in November?

4m + 5.5m today.  Nice temps & light winds.
  • Options
    Sorry to read of covid infecting a few of you once again. Rotten luck. Best wishes for speedy recoveries. 

• Options
    TR - I was the same with inactivity - if I'm not busy I end up doing stupid things instead; lol. Hopefully you can get back to it today!
    Same yesterday with a pace for same effort degradation after 5m, but less than the day before. I'm finding some magnesium spray (on top of my regular supplement) is helping my legs.

Jooligan - interesting that you're another who has seen it with the post-covid ligaments/tendons. I'd not read anything like that previously, but either we're all outliers, or there's some effect there. Nice volume.

Wardi - cool. I knew there was some limit, but not what it was. Good that you're managing to keep moving.

12m brisk yesterday. Paces are way down on 3 months ago, but that was probably the most enjoyable run I've had in that time. Wore an old pair of 4% to help my legs, which seemed to be beneficial.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Jooligan - 30m over a few days not bad for a non-miraculous recovery. Good luck.
    SJ - Good to hear from you, I hope the training for Manchester is going well?
    Wardi - Wise to insure your Valencia race entry.  Some good race choices there, Amsterdam is of interest to me too.  Temps in GC are very pleasant, generally 20-24C for the race. The race finishes on the beach so straight into the warm sea.  Last time I saw DanA was for the race in 2020? Theres also a 10k and Marathon relay.  
    TR - Fingers crossed for that negative result.
    TT - A good return, and great it scored higlhy on the enjoyed it box.  Good move with the 4% - I must use mine more often for training runs, only 26m on the clock.

6&7m easy double yesterday. As something new, wrote done my 15 things/ behaviours/ routines to do for London list, I rarely/ never do S&C, so new was a 5-10 minute daily free weights session, so that was ticked off. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    15s is decent progress jools

TT - at least one of us is on the up. Still positive here today.......this might take a while. If i get going tomorrow it's the best part of a week already.

SJ - how's things?
  • Options
    While 15 isn’t too shabby the pace has been glacial & yet they’ve still left me feeling like I’ve run 25! 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan  .. no consolation but my 'as you were' pace has dropped 15-20 secs a mile since my nerve problem.  

Best of luck with further recovery TR, do you feel ok otherwise?

OO.. nice double yesterday, thanks for the GC weather tip - all my options are still open for consideration.

TT.. good to see you can trot out 12m now & enjoy it.

Just over 10m this morning, only slightly niggly at times.  I have found a private medical facility 20 mins drive away that could do a cortisone jab.  Expensive but I would prefer to go with something that has cured me quickly before than trying a new treatment.

• Options
    OO - funnily enough I started S&C yesterday. I used to be comfortable holding planks for 2-3 minutes but found 30s a struggle yesterday, so work to be done. I like the idea of a behaviours/routine list, particularly a short-term one.

TR - fingers crossed!

Jooligan - might it be worthwhile just taking a few days off?

Wardi - good news on the cortisone jab. Mrs TT is at the stage where she can start back running now post-rehab. If her hamstring goes again I think going private for a jab might be the next step.

Went to track last night. More to bring Jr down and to try re-establish a routine than looking for a session. Opted to run 400s in a cruise one jog one style. Given where I reckon cMP is I expected aerobically cruising to be about 94-95s so surprised to work from 91s to 86s across 8 of them, whilst feeling relaxed.
    Paces for a jog effort have just started to dip under 9m/m as well, so things are slowly looking up.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    TT - With the track session that's a nice surprise to find out your in better shape than you originally thought.  Yes, my list isn't revolutionary just reminders really of the good things/ behaviours I do, and some I should do as the S&C.  
    Wardi - Good news on the cortisone injection - hard core, hope it does its magic. 
    Jooligan - Could also be the time of the year when we are all feeling a bit yuch or given where you are in north Wales, Yachi da (which actually means good health!)

Weather pants, so just running lots of easy doubles in the cold!  Likely to do another 10K TT tomorrow, so hope it warms up a bit, then off to Wales myself to see the rugby with junior (who is supporting England!).  
  • Options
    Took 5 days off a couple of weeks ago & it made no difference either way TT.
    Impressive track speed.

Better to spend more cash on something you know works Wardi than continually fork out on treatments that may not even do the job.

5M easy(ish) on FoD fire trails today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Had an easier day with a steady 4m run today.  Best my leg has felt since the problem started which is encouraging.  Cautious optimism but I won't get carried away.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Easy does it TT

OO - enjoy the rugby, Hopefully Wales go a bit better.

Wardi - good news, are you getting the jab ?

Short commute run home today, last run was the same time last Friday, so one week off. Coughed for a while afterwards. Just need to build health,  mileage and fitness with 5 weeks til the b of the bang.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. hope you're on a steady path to recovery.  I'm just checking on other local options re. the jab.  It seems that my previous physio was quite cheap at circa £90-£100 for a cortisone jab.  Some of the prices at local private clinics & physios are 2-3 times that.

5.5m + 4m double today.  Felt a bit out of sorts on the first run but 2nd run was better.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- if you think it'll fix it then I'd pay it, those nerve type issues are soul destroyers in a 'wonder how far i can get away with today' stylie.......I hope I'm on a steadier than steady recovery, it stirred my lungs up a bit and I'm already wondering how far can I get away with tomorrow, next week, when I'll be able to run long.........best have a beer and relax.
  • Options
    TR - good to see you back at it. Hopefully things improve rapidly from here.

Wardi - tough choice. It's a chunk of money, but if the choice is between an expensive fix or continued pain......

Jooligan - shame that the time off didn't sort you. Fingers crossed you come right soon.

OO - enjoy the rugby. I've missed most of it so far, but from what I've seen we're looking really really good.

It looks like covid has retriggered my lactose intolerance I initially developed it years ago when I had stomach flu, but it was fading out until now. A double dose of dairy yesterday left me floored today, so was more than happy with 6m moderate.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I and OO jnr will certainly enjoy the atmosphere and event, his first time at a 6N match.
    Wardi - Good luck with your decision. Quite a discrepancy in prices.
    TR - Hope it's a good recovery from CV and the run goes well.
    TT - It doesn't rain....Good you were able to get out for a 6m. 

10K TT yesterday came out 40.08 / 6.27 pace, a few seconds slower than the last one, but in mitigation, it was cold and windy which affected my mojo somewhat as well as bad timing, just after lunch. But another good tempo session ran followed up with an easy 8m this morning on a sunny beach in South Wales. Long run tomorrow. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Thanks for the encouragement chaps.  I've found a physio/clinic in Garforth (my side of Leeds, about 20 mins drive).  They can do ultrasound scans and injections so can hopefully sort me out.

OO.. always tricky doing solo TT's if the conditions are a bit unpleasant, decent effort any way.

2 x 4m today, keeping the miles mostly short until I can run pain free.

TT.. blimey your health issues seem to go round in circles!  Hope you enjoyed the 6m.

I will be watching the Toon's attempt to win a trophy tomorrow.  I can remember the last time - two legs of the Fairs Cup Final in 1969.  I was 11!
  • Options
    OO/Wardi - no real drama on the health front. Most of my issues, including IBS, are linked to fibro. It's just something to manage/deal with. I'm getting much better at being sensible and doing what my body dictates is ok (got to be some benefit to getting older, right?  ;) ).

OO - that 10k TT sounds more than reasonable, especially as caveated. Your runs sounds a lot more fun than my 'around suburbia' routes. 

Wardi - good news on the physio. Fingers crossed. 

An active day today. 2nd MLR of the week. Like Tuesday a 12m brisk, but felt stronger, and got to 8m (rather than 5 on Tuesday) before the pace for effort started to slow every so slightly. Throw in a 58min dog walk this morning, and another 2m restarting c25k with my wife I've earned a glass of red or two in front of a movie.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - whilst CV might give cold type symptoms, it also upsets  the rest of the body for a while too. Hopefully you'll be back to normal soonish.

We'll done on the 10k OO, good effort session banked.

Ran yday and today, post CV aches as expected and a bit of coughing for a while afterwards. We'll see where i am this time next week. Will hopefully run longish next weekend, which is 4 wks out, then cam jam in 2 or 3 20s.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    TT - Thames tow path in Reading - that's pretty scenic, but yes, somewhere attractive does help pass the time. Looks like your bouncing back well from CV. Are you doing London? 
    TR - Good your back at it, remember you have 1000's of miles and races in your legs so the muscle memory is there.  Famous last words "If I were you", but if I were I would look to do 1 maybe 2 HM training runs @ MP and tag on a few wu and cd miles to make them long runs.  
    Wardi - Good news and running doubles is a good strategy for now.  I was at Wembley the previous time Newcastle where there, supporting Arsenal when Arsene Wenger got his first double!  Unlucky yesterday.

20m LR ticked off in PD style.  First 10m @ 8mm, next 5m @7.40 mm, next 5m @ 7.15 mm.  Beautifully sunny but a touch chilly so gloves weather. Lots of people out long-running.  Bit surprised looking at Strava at people who I usually beat in marathons, running anything from 6.55 - 7.15 mm in their long runs, too fast. 73 miles for the week, hopefully the same again this week. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    OO - yes, the towpath is definitely scenic, but I've got to run close to 4m to reach it from where I am, and my runs all tend to start and finish from home for logistical reasons. Funnily enough though, I did actually run a section of it on my 8m home from work last week.
    Nice 20m.

TR - fwiw I agree with OO. You've got a fantastic base built up, so some more up-tempo work would really bring you along. A HM at ~cMP in a 20m, or a 10k TT in a MLR would give you some good bang for your buck.

I got the long run monkey off of my back today. Bar the first and last 3m it was all run on a loop of ~2.85m - only 2 road crossings (and usually trouble free ones), with 2 small drops and 2 small climbs each lap.
    Ended up with 20.37m as: 3m moderate (7:47), 4 x 5km off of 5mins moderate (7:54 average), and then a 3m jog (8:54) home to finish.
    The first 3 x 5km were at 80% effort (cMP + 30-40s per mile), and the last was 85% effort (cMP + 15-25s per mile). Paces were 6:57, 6:54, 6:53, and 6:44. Puts MP at around 6:23m/m at the moment I guess.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    OO - well pace long run there. There's loads of folks out there training too fast as you say. Not sure where they get the idea to run most of their week not much slower than mp......I don't know how they do it.

TT - oooh, nice one on the long run. Feels a long way off for me.

That made me laugh, 13m ~mp is indeed a key benchmark/tune up 3 or 4 wks out.........don't think I've ever felt further away from being able to do that session at the mo........I thought hoping to run 10m easy later this week was quite a sporty hope too (especially if the hope includes minimal CV19 aches), was real tired and achey today so just the minimal 5m commute.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    TT.. great effort getting that long run done after all your interruptions.  Hope the multi-loop route wasn't too tedious, though I sometimes do long runs around the 2m loop of the Racecourse!

TR.. hope you can get to do a MLR by the weekend, covid recovery does seem to drag.

OO.. nice 20 in a progressive stylee, good conditions up here yesterday too.

I've decided to the postpone the clinic visit for a few days.  I felt much better on a 5m run this morning - I can push off the affected leg much more effectively so my pace has come back.  I can still feel the niggle but it is much improved and less bothersome, I'll see how it goes for now.
    I passed a few congrats around my clubmates yesterday - 8 of them clocked sub 60 times at the local Snake Lane 10 so scooped the team prize.  First lad home in 5th took his PB down from 55.57 (last Nov) to 52.54, looking good for London. 
  • Options
    TR - maybe a couple of 10km TT' in an MLR and just jog out a long run or two when you're ready. Are you taking any antihistamine?

Wardi - I was embracing some zen. I don't mind loops like that. Much like putting some 'stuff' in a long run, the focus becomes less on the overall run, and more on 'just do this lap/rep/whatever'. Nice progress from your club's first home!
  • Options
    TT - That's a fantastic run, the long run monkey has left the town.  Very impressed how you can knock out, for me, a fast session whilst so recently recovering from CV and no long runs of recent vintage. 
    Wardi - 3 minutes is a large chunk of time. Some speedy chaps.

Zen : 12 laps of a neighbouring field to bring up 5 easy last night.  Very calming, aided by the views, curious local cows and the odd buzzard. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO..local wildlife,  that's a good way of staying local!  

Had a slight setback yesterday - slipped on some mud, stayed upright but tweaked something in my recovering leg.  Quite sore after that. 

Decided on a 7m walk today and It has thankfully settled down.  I have booked in at the clinic to get it looked at next week.  I'll be self monitoring for the time being and will only run if it feels comfy.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - tough luck on the slip. Hopefully you're pain free and fully back at it soon!

OO - the trick now will be to not leave it almost 11 months until my next long run ;) Nice zen chasing.

I added something new to my schedule yesterday - Lydiard Hill Exercises. Only 8mins worth (with c25k with my wife as warm-up) but my calves and feet were very aware of the effects of the hill work on this morning's jog commute.

Track last night too. Just 3 reps, but almost double the volume of the previous week's 8 x 400m cruises. Still being cautious post covid with volume of quicker stuff so resisted the urge to carry on. All @ ~10m effort - 1600m (6:05), 2000m (7:38), 2400m (9:05). 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Wardi - That's just what you needed! Unlucky.  Hope its OK to resume your training soon.
    TT - Hill running, that's speed training in disguise right? c25K with your wife as warm-up??
    TR - How its going? Hope your able to get some decent training in?

3 very similar days training for me.  Doubles 5/8m @ easy pace, at the moment I am suffering (though not as badly) as TR is from the oestitis pubis, so going for a higher mileage lower speed/ less impact approach.  Also have been informed I have qualified for the 2024 WAANDA World Champs (this is the thing that caused chaos in London in 21 and 22) venue tbd. Might be tempted to take part if its in a hard-to-enter six stars marathon like Tokyo or New York.