Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    TT - you seem to be on the up again

Wardi - hopefully a minor setback, keep off the mud

OO - that has moved to Chicago this year. OP is a pisser, mine is mild at the mo........I went for the targetted 10m yday, for some mad reason took a few turns early on thst made it 11, and the last 4 or 5m were awful, really sore. I'm not slow and stiff like in January, my muscles, tendons etc just get sore and hurt, like running too soon after a mara. Think doubles helped a bit last April, so did 5 and 5 today. Going to try 10 again tomorrow.........aiming to try to go as far as possible by tagging on Saturday, we'll see how that goes, but I'm thinking of sacking Brighton off, I'm miles away from where id like to be and I've run in discomfort far too often in recent months........ideally id like to run long the next 3 weekends (plus some weekday medium) after missing the last 2, but struggling to do 11m is poor........on the plus side I don't seem to have the lightheaded post CV thing, although that's maybe cos it's all eaay paced at the moment.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    You’re describing how I’ve been feeling for the past 3 months TR. It’s horrible isn’t it. It’s better than it was but still not gone.
    Hope you’re over your tweak Wardi.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - interesting that you never had it after previous CV bouts, 3 months is a long time. I defo struggled to get going after CV at the end of 2020, but was unvaccinated back then, and wasnt allowed out the house for 2 weeks. Last April, the lightheaded feeling went on for a long time. Took me til June.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. my niggle has settled down in recent days though I'm still aware of it.  Easy does it for now.  Your problem seems like a very lengthy stint, hope there's some progress for you soon.

TR.. yes running in discomfort or mysterious fatigue is very debilitating, good luck with getting your running back to normal.

OO.. one of my club ladies qualified for Tokyo on Sunday, I'll let you know her thoughts.  She has certainly enjoyed the pre race tourism in the last few days.

I've stuck to longish walks in recent days, 7m, 6m, 7m.  I'll be walking to my old village pub shortly, that's another 2m each way!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Thanks Wardi - Macca and Ian from the PD and Shades forums are running too, so would be good to see what they thought too. Walking to the pub is the way to go. 

Bit glum, in the main we've all got various ailments with marathon season approaching and trying to battle through.

TR - OP sure is a pain and sorry that you might miss Brighton. Ive got it this time as over trained. My plan is to run London, give it a go then take a month off. 

For London, I am going to repeat what I did in 2019 when I last had it ( more or less from Feb to Nov when it was misdiagnosed as double hernia, lucky I didn't have the operations).  It was caused then - and now - by overdoing the weekly mileage and running 4 fast marathons in 4 months. The pattern then was to train in pain, with the fast sessions the worse, and use the taper to reduce the pain so able to race relatively pain-free on race day. Mad really but it worked. 

Then to sort it out, I didnt stop training but cutback mileage from c70 to c40-45 mpw for 6-7 weeks with 2 or 3 proper rest days, and added some swimming and cycling. The pain gradually dipped from say 7 out of 10 to 0 and I was able to ramp-up again. At the moment my pain level is 3 or 4 out of 10, so not as bad, so taking these measures now, should do the trick. Good luck. 

Lovely easy 8m around the coastal path in the sun but cold win around Newquay yesterday and rest day today. Not sure about tomorrow. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Although I'm not training for anything in particular, just running to keep fit, I'm pleased to report that I'm finally able to run rather than run/walk.  5 miles on Thursday and Friday, and then a whopping 6 miles this morning.  Even a grey day with a chilly wind didn't dampen my spirits.

Best wishes to those on the bench.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Good news Jools, that's a happy bit of news. Nice.

Wardi - pub trip sounds good, any decent brews.

OO - for me rest makes OP worse, I stopped for 6 months in 2016, and it didn't help. Just gave me an endurance mountain to climb, and I had to try to ease even worse OP........compression undershorts in the evenings/sleeping, foam rolling, keeping moving without aggravating it. A few stretches, drills and hops help.....but not too many......mine was actually sore today (see below).......

Did the 10m yday morning and it was more comfortable by trying to run quicker, so a bit of steady pace bagged. Popped a paracetamol and ibuprofen  combo and headed out for 14ish today, but with the intention of adding on if possible. Tried the run quicker approach from 9m, tagged on extra bits and managed to run a strong 20m.........hopefully I've forced myself round a corner. Not sure where it came from but most welcome.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - That's great news on the 20m & 10m.  Running eh! 
    Joolska - Love the whooping 6m, whooping is a word not used enough. Good stuff.
    The rest day became a 20m mountain bike, loved it. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. true grit to see that 20m through if you were not entirely confident about going that far.  A decent confidence booster too.

Jools.. great news that you can run without breaks and seem on the road to recovery.

OO... Best of luck with your recovery plan, niggles always seem to happen at the wrong time!

I did manage a modest 2 x 4m run double today.  Slightly uncomfortable but manageable so will keep ticking over for now.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Nice to read some positive news TR & Joolska.
    Hope your plan works OO.
    Funnily enough TR, Strava told me I ran 16M just over a year ago. Did the first 10@8:xx, when my legs started grumbling. I did the last 6@7:3x.
    Parkrun & XC double today: 21:05 at parkrun then the toughest XC course to round off the season. 3 laps around Ponty-pwl Park added up to almost 1,000 ft of climb in just under 9K! No more racing now til April’s marathons.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Brighter news indeed from both TR and Joolska

Sorry to read of your lengthy woes Jooligan. We're truly blessed when everything is going well but most of us take it for granted. Best wishes you see improvements soon.

Glad to read some improving news from you too Wardi. Hopefully that continues. 

Fingers crossed your niggle settles OO and you get to London feeling good. I must admit to thinking more and more about preserving longevity in the sport as I move up age categories next year. 

Also great to read news of decent progress being made by TT. Hills are something I regularly run on but not in a session specific way.

I'm stringing the weeks together after a bad cold knocked me about at the end of Jan. Back in the groove now. Although the hard yards weeks have coincided with a major project landing for us at work. It's one of the biggest we've ever had so good news but super busy. 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Jooligan - Thats a decent day of racing, 2 very solid runs and good times. No more racing till marathon day, sounds a good strategy.
    SJ - Eventful! Hope you continue to find the time to finish the cake and toppings. 
    Wardi - That sounds an improvement. 

Inspired by some runners exploits in Tokyo, replicated TRs approach of yesterday, paracetamol/ ibuprofen combo, intended to do 10 miles ended up running 18m @ 7.45. 69m for the week. So cutting back the miles next week and seeking 2 rest days to address the niggles. 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Agree OO, need to keep things going and finish the job. Solid effort today considering running with niggles. Hope the rest days do the job. 

20 today in 2:32 for me. Felt good especially after yesterdays 45 min tempo which came out at 6:18/mi pace. My other session was 4 x 10 mins on the track which I ran as 4 x 2600m and they all came in around 9:55. All other runs super easy including a couple of treadmill runs. 

60 for the week.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Tidy week SJ.
    Well done OO
    Taken the day off as my legs hurting after XC & then dancing til 3am. I’m pretty tired too 😆
  • Options
    You're made of strong stuff Jooligan. Dancing until 3a.m. sounds like training in itself. 

A well earned rest day for sure. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - top work on the XC and dancing double

SJ - good to hear you're ok, good weekend there, that tempo was a decent pace too.

OO - well done on the 18, 10 plus 8 bonus, but like me yday as you say.

Went walking with the SPO and doggy this morning, so didn't get out til 1pm to run, legs weren't too bad and I had a bit of time so i ended up doing 15m, which is good strength building after ydays 20m. Was running on fumes by the end (but that's not a bad thing once in a while).
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. you must be feeling better if you can churn out a 15m effort after 20m the day before, great effort!

Jooligan. very impressed with the Saturday night fever endeavors.  A decent weekend of racing too.

SJ.. that's a very solid 20m particularly after the tempo effort.  BTW my treadie room is due for decorating next week so I need to empty it and fold the treadie up.

OO.  I've just bought some pain killers which claim to combine ibuprofen and paracetamol, hopefully they will see me through to my appointment on Friday.  Well done on the 18m.

I did manage to run Sat & twice Sunday, decided on a 10k walk today.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Blimey. I pop off for a few days away and come back to find unplanned long runs have been taking place. It has been a long while since I went out to do something and just kept adding bits on. Maybe that's what I should have been doing to get myself back in the long run groove all along.

OO
    - that (hills being speedwork in disguise) tends to be the Lydiard phrase I think of when I'm doing anything on a hill; lol. c25k is couch to 5km. My wife is trying to get back to running after a prolonged absence through high hamstring tendinopathy/itis and long covid (still ongoing).
    Hopefully the OP clears up/has cleared up for you.

TR - you've had a run of rotten luck. Well done on the 20m/15m back to back. Does that change your feelings on Brighton?

Jools - good to see you are back to running from run/walk!

sj - good training as always. I tend to be the same with hills, but like to do something focused occasionally. I probably overdone it with the 8mins of exercises last week (basically plyometric exercises on hills) as I used a short hill, which shortened the recovery. I'll probably introduce weekly hillsprints and just do a couple of reps of each exercise as well.

Jooligan - sounds like some progress from you! 

Wardi - it certainly sounds like the appointment is a necessity unfortunately.

Been away for a few days in Gloucester for a little break so deliberately didn't run much. Had a 4/7 double Thursday, easy 6 Friday am before leaving, and rounded out my week with 8m Sunday as 5.5m brisk, 2m @ 85%, and then easy to finish. Also had several long, and hilly hikes over the weekend, as well as several hours around Cotswold Wildlife on Friday (where they now allow dogs on leads into large parts of it).

Ended up with 77m for the week, to add to the 78m for the previous week. I'm hoping to be in that ballpark for the next few months, and will revisit things after that.

Started this week with 10m yesterday as 6m brisk, 4m @ 80%. Will get out for something later today that will be dependent on both weather and the result of an unplanned vets visit.

Regarding the %-ages, I'm using the terminology of my coach during base training. 80% tends to be cMP + 30-40s, 85% is + 15-25s, and 90% is +0-10s. Just helps to focus my mind on the basic work I need to do.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
     SJ - A very decent weekends training, good numbers on the long run, impressive pace for the 45 minute tempo,  a tough session but does make MP feel so comfortable on raceday. That 10 min track sess looks interesting.
    TR - And a 15m as well - chapeau, Brighton must be back on now?
    Jools - Good progress
    Jooligan - Most impressive dancing until 3 am, breaking the 3 barrier.   :D
    Wardi - hopefully the advice from the appointment will do the trick.  Good plan to keep actively ticking over.
    TT - Sounds a great few active days away, a good weekly mileage total again.  Interesting those %'s, of late, I've gone 80% MP + 60-80 secs.  Primarily to keep the injuries away. 

Rest day yesterday and 6m today with 2m slow, 4m tempo (Av. 6.25) and OP very slight, so hopefully its on the way out.  No second run today as off to see Plymouth Argyle with my son, coldest night of the year!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hopefully that will sort you out, with 6 wks til london next weekend?

TT -  weekend away sounded good, nice one. Your 80% is what i call +10% (or steady).

OO - good news on the OP front, enjoy the footy. Should be a good game.

If i can run a decent 22ish Saturday then i should be good to give Brighton a bash.

Minimal 5m commute yday as legs were tired. 10m (inc some steady) and 5m today. Rain and snow this morning. Groin and hip played up a bit but i was surprised that didnt seize again when i was stopped with CV.......going to be a few wet runs in the next week, Spring cant be far away though.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    TR.. a very decent double today, hope your hip/groin issues disappear.  Fingers crossed you can get the Saturday long run done, both a confidence and endurance booster.  Weather looks damp here too from Thursday onwards.

OO.. good news on the OP niggle,  enjoy the footie!

TT.. those are good mileage weeks considering time away.  You must be pleased to be getting some consistency after so many setbacks.  Sorry to hear about the vet visit.

Chilly up here though a beautiful sunny day which took the edge off the cold.  Got out for 6.3m, the stronger drug (Nuromol) did seem to work, I could still feel the niggle but much less bothersome.
    Saw a rabbit chasing a stoat today, not something I've seen before.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - Barry (Magee) used to refer to %-ages of effort relative to MP (for base, or relative to the distance run for later periods - e.g. a 10km TT is about 90% of 10km effort, or about HM pace in my case). It's similar to Lydiard using fractions. Good to see your pain dissipating.

TR - yep, we've touched on that effort before. I tend to use steady interchangeably with 80% to describe it. Fingers crossed for your 22m!

Wardi - good to hear you've found something that helps. I've not heard of Nuromol, but presume it's nurofen/codeine (similar to Paramol being paracetamol/codeine)?
    Thank you re: the vet visit. As you may have seen it didn't have a happy ending.

Unfortunately yesterday morning our dog started showing worrying signs, so my wife took her to her work where they found a large mass on her heart (it grew rapidly as she was having occasional scans, the last being 6 weeks ago, to monitor a valve issue and there was nothing at all there then).
    It was so big that she wouldn't have survived surgery, and even if she had it would have put her through a lot of pain just to get an extra couple of months with her (most of which she would have spent in recovery), which wouldn't have been fair to her, so we had to take the decision to put her to sleep. 

On the plus side, we had a great break over the weekend with her, so we have some happy memories to keep us going, but that makes it seem so surreal as she was so full of life and rushing around like a lunatic, right up until she wasn't. I can only presume that the mass finally got that little bit too big that her craziness and lust for life and mayhem couldn't overcome it. Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now tbh.

I've not run since, and won't until I trust myself not to thrash myself. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Much sympathy TT, particularly as that sounds like a swift and unexpected demise.  A few of my close friends are dog owners and see them as part of the family.  We did inherit my parents old cat for the last few years of it's life when the old folks passed away.  It didn't like being moved for a few weeks but became a lovely pet when it finally settled in.  It did stubbornly manage to live to 20 years and I still miss him now!

A bit of light snow this morning but it didn't settle, managed to run 10m without too much discomfort.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Awful news TT, sorry to hear that.

Wardi- id expect the stoat to be chasing the rabbit

5 and 5 today. I've run through lots of -5 and -7 temps early mornings this winter. But todays mix of freezing rain and northerly wind chill made it one of the worse days. Lots of snow a few miles away. Just rain on the return home.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    TT - Thanks for the explanation. Really sorry to hear that news, all too sudden. I would be devastated to lose my dog.
    Good news Wardi. 
    Sounds grim TR. 

8m here Inc 5.5 @ 6.40 mm in the sun and got a touch warm. A rare weather window in todays otherwise lashing it down rain. Looking after my SIL/ BIL dog whilst they had intended to fly for a week to Greece, unfortunately their flight was cancelled due to the snow. So they puck him back up tomorrow. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers all.
    The only consolation has been looking back at photos and videos and seeing how far she came from when we rescued her (under 15kg, timid and scared of everything, and very poorly from a botched spay and 5-6 years of (probably mostly) being a stray), to the complete batsh!t crazy healthy (English pointers should be 22-23kg) dog we ended up with. Rescuing such a poorly animal and being responsible for giving her the love and life she had for the last 3.5 years is helping, but it's still, as you've said OO, devastating.

Wardi - funnily enough, after asking what nuromol was there was an ad for it on TV last night!

TR
    - like you I'm ready for the cold weather to do one. The crap weather here yesterday made my mind up not to force myself out in it.

OO - tough break for the IL with the flight cancellation. You'd rather be cancelled from the other end and get to enjoy some extra sunshine when the weather is like this!

Will get out to do something today. Won't know what until I get going, but hopefully at least my usual Thursday (1hr moderate plus a jog). If I just tick off my standard runs I'll end up at least in mid-50s for the week, but hopefully, with 2 days off in my legs I'll get a few more miles in towards the upper end of my structured ranges and make it closer to the 70s again.
    Probably no long run this week though as my weekend is already busy, and I've got Barry's constant comment of 'we don't chase to make up what we've missed' in my head as a restraining factor.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the dog, TippTop.  Pets leave large holes in our lives and our hearts when they go.  I always remember my mum describing how, after her first cat was run over, she went to cook bacon and cut off the rind to give to the cat, turned around, remembered, and burst into tears.

Not much to report here.  We had a 3 or 4 cm of soft snow yesterday, so limited myself to 3 miles in trail shoes as it was enough to make it rather hard work.  No run today - I seem to have slept a bit funny and have a very achy shoulder and neck.
  • Options
    As others, very sad news TT. Much sympathy to you and yours. You gave her a great second chance and she took it by sounds of it.

Cats and dogs do become part of the family no doubt. Our golden retriever is 12 in May and suffering with hip degeneration requiring monthly injections.

Good news Wardi on the lack of discomfort 10.

I'd expect nothing less than getting out there and getting it done TR even in terrible weather.

Hope the shoulder/neck settles Joolska.

That's annoying with the cancelled flights OO. Thwarted whilst trying to escape gah!

I've been benched since Tuesday with a lower back that is in spasm and painful. Saw the fizz yesterday who did some work but its sitting at my desk which is the culprit. The last few weeks have meant long hours so I know it's not so much the running.

However, I'm a probable dns at Trimpell 20 on sunday which was one of my key tune-up races. Annoying but I'm doing all the dynamic stretches to get some hip and back movement I was prescribed. Just have to see how it settles.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    TT -defo a sad time.

SJ - i feel for you on the back issue, and the DNS, I seem to love a DNS lately. If i make the start line in 3 weeks, my last race before that would be GW in December, and IoW HM before that in August.

5 and 5 again today, had planned on a decent length mlr either yday or today, but life got in the way a bit, probably no bad thing. It'll be time to stop chasing miles soon.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    SJ.. grim news with your back and the possible DNS.  Nothing more frustrating for a runner than a non-running injury! 

Jools.. hope you enjoyed the run in the snow.  FWIW I wrenched my neck in my sleep many years ago.  I had a very immobile neck and spasms down my shoulders & back for several weeks.

TR.. still a decent enough double with 3 weeks go.  Last long run this weekend?

5m easy this afternoon.  The early snow had turned to rain/sleet so a slightly unpleasant wet, cold & breezy run.  Still no snow covering here. 
    Clinic appointment tomorrow so hopefully I'll find out what the problem is.