Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - 86 is another big week, you've had a solid few weeks.

LS - sounds busy, the lanes i mostly run are very quiet.....I'm usually out in the Fri at too, we had a few frosts this week.

Yday beat me up a bit as its been a few weeks since a long run, and I missed a couple with CV, so the long runs havnt been consistent. Add that beating to being a bit under the weather, so i took today off......I could do with a marathon in middle May, but not sure theres any. I don't suppose I'll smash it now so maybe just ticking one off keeps the marathon legs in order.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    TR - have a look here

http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathons-list.php

Looks like one in Exeter - no idea what it’s like. 

Or Worcester - might be worth a text to Ode for that one. I bet he’ll know/have even done it. 

Or a bit earlier, but MK is an option. It’s one of England Masters qualifying races (where you can get an England vest) so you’ll def have some company at sub-3 pace. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers. OO has run Exeter, don't think its ideal as its canal path......I already have  North Dorset number for 30th April (entered last year), so may as well use that if there's nothing more suitable. Would be a quiet run round the countryside, but like when a few of us did Yeovil.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy Easter, all.

Nicely done on the 10M, TT.

Ankle/foot is much improved and I've done a couple of 5 mile runs now (yesterday and today).  Keeping the pace steady just in case, plus I gave blood on Thursday, which always slows me down for a few weeks!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Happy Easter.

TT - That's another really strong week d&d. All looking good for London. 
    TR - Good comeback after last week's issues. Exeter is a decent course, a bit bewildering  and scene of a spectacular fail when attempting to pace a clubmate of Joolska to a sub3. In short, I lost sight of him until I saw him "leading" the race the others idea of the river. But it is flat and reasonably swift. I am also thinking of doing it.
    Wardi - No warm runs until Gran Canaria. You should consider it too.
    LS21 - Yes, exceptionally busy on my run route today, a cycle path, lots of everything. Your session sounds about right as you tread a tricky balance between recovering and training. 
    Joolska - That's good news. 

Ran a decent 10m @ 6.27 mm earlier and on the run decided to enter the Newport marathon next Sunday. Fortunately family logistics work out and they have a late entry option to pick up your number on the day, so just pressed the entry button with a target time of 2.49. This will  hopefully be 2 minutes swifter than when ran it in 2021. So this week is proper taper time. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Jools - thats come round quick, seems like the other week we discussed your last donation.

OO - one of you had gone the wrong way then......I love the last minute mara entry.

13m inc 15x3min in the pissing rain and wind today (always a good sign of being motivated), did it as an out and back, so the earlier reps were mostly into the wind and the later ones mostly wind assisted. Thought of tagging another mile or 2 on, but got pretty cold quickly when i cooled down a bit after the reps, due to the wind chill and being wet through. Was a bit light headed at times, hopefully just due to the lurgy, rather than more post CV issues.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    True grit TR, poor weather for spring!
    We didn't get the rain until noon so just got a light wetting in the last mile or so, 5.2m done.

OO.. once I'm healed and running normally again I'll start looking at autumn marathons.  York is tempting as a cheap day out but like you I do enjoy my foreign jaunts.  Good luck at  Newport, hopefully the windy stuff will ease down for you and the Manchester runners.

Jools.. 5m is about my recuperation limit ATM, good to see you can run again.

LS21.. re.the Trimpell lad, I've been invited to his 30th birthday do on Sunday, I guess I'll lift the average age up a bit!  A few of my clubmates who will be there are London first timers, I think they're relying on me for a pep talk and detailed logistics.  🤔 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Another 5 miles this morning, in rather dreich conditions compared to the lovely sunshine we had over the weekend!  TR: I only had to wait 12 weeks because I'd failed my iron levels last time.  Delighted to pass this time.  Well done on getting out for a run in what sounds like similar weather, but take it easy with the lurgy.  Being light-headed doesn't sound good.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi -  pre marathon piss up on the Sunday before?

Jools - 12 weeks already then. Agreed, sounds similar weather. Hopefully my head was due to lurgy/sinuses.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    LS21 - is your achilles sore as in normal sore, or sore as in friction from the inside of the VF?
    Well done on what sounds like a very solid long run, especially in a crowded location (you must have more patience than me as I get proper angsty when there are too many people around). 

Jools - glad to hear your foot/ankle are improving, and happy Easter to you too.

OO - nice last minute marathon entering! Good luck!

TR - nicely done; good to see the 3min reps back! My sinuses have been all over the place since covid and windy weather seems to make both them and my asthma worse (and occasional bouts of light headedness have come along with it too).

Last long today. Bit of a mental struggle to get out the door, but 20m as 4.5m easy, 1min pickup (4:55/m), 5min easy, 4min pickup (5:41), 5min easy, 1.25m (6:51 - 5:29/m), 3m very easy, 7m brisk (6:52/m), and 2m jog. Definitely a tick in the perseverance and stubbornness box. Wind was brutal.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning :)

TR - that's a belter of a session! Sounded like real hard work, so well done! Like you my usual routes are all very rural country lanes. I often see absolutely nobody/no cars etc - but there's nothing even vaguely flat for Mara-pace type work. Hence the Sunday route choice. It was fine for what it was.

jools - good to see you back to it! Sounds like a sensible return to action. Fingers crossed it's all ok now.

OO - that's a cracker of a 10 miler just casually knocked out as a training run! Good stuff on Newport too. I had a serious look at that for last Spring (I think?) - looks a decent course so hopefully you go well and run 2'4x there.

wardi - good to see you still at it. Hopefully things are continuing to improve.

TT - good work chap! I know you missed a big block, but looking at your last month or so I'm not sure you could have done any more/got yourself into any better shape. All the work is done now mate, so just taper well.
    Re my achilles - no it's more of a biomechanic/structural thing I think. I've had issues with it for 15 years+. Initially due to excessive overpronation (I think) - but it's more the whole area just gets tight now really. Not my calf muscles per se - more the bit between my calf and achilles. It gets tighter and tighter and tighter, and things just sort of seize up. Wearing race shoes prob exacerbates it, cos I tend to land much more forefoot wearing those. I initially bought the Alphas to try and help with this (they're supposed to be much more stable), but they seem to be the worse of the lot (for me). It's quite sore today, but I should be ok I think.

Rest day today here. I'm SOOOO tired. It's been absolutely nuts up here over the BH weekend. I've not really eaten or drank properly (just so busy), and feeling the after-effects of that a bit. So just trying to be sensible and listen to my body a bit. Will get back out tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done TT, you've given yourself a chance

LS - yep, I have to make an effort to find somewhere flat, or run a fair way out into the lanes. Good idea to take a day off running.

Yday beat me up more than id like, I'm not feeling as healthy or as fit as I'd like lately, but hopefully it'll come good......I'm off this week, so the plan for today was to go walking with the SPO in the dry this morning, leaving me to run in the rain later (guess who's plan that was?)......wasn't relishing another wet and windy run, but luckily the first 3m remained dry, and after that I was already out there. Hilly 11m trying to shelter from the worse of it.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Well done TR!

London email has arrived. I'm off Green this year. Never ran off green before. At least mile 3 will be downhill :)
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    LS21 - I'm very happy with where I am now compared to where I was not so long ago. Definitely gives me something to kick on from. 
    That sounds like it could be a soleus issue (underlying/middle part of the 3 calf muscles) - have you tried the soleus calf stretch? Sounds like you've certainly earned your rest day. I ran off Green in 2008. Nearly ran (literally) into the back of Jonathan Pearce (BBC commentator).

TR - I'm in a similar place (both with the feeling beaten up and the not feeling as healthy or fit as I'd like), but we can only work with what we've got. Lol with the SPO' plan. Good job on getting 11 in.

I've had a small shin niggle on my last two runs, so when I could still feel it today I turned around and came home. I figure one (hopefully) day off is better than taking a chance. I also have a sinus/ear infection (explains why my sinuses have been getting progressively more painful recently), but like with the niggle, better now than next week!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Must be nearly cotton wool time with all these niggles & pains!  Symapthies to all.

Well battled TR (crafty planning from the Mrs!), it was very pleasant & sunny here this morning but we now have wind & rain.  Stuck with it for the next 2 days apparently.

Similar TT, 20m in strong winds is character building stuff.  Wise decision on the shin, too close to D-day to take risks.

LS21.. that sounds like a hectic bank hol at the shop, hope you can get your proper nosh and some decent sleep now.

Managed 6.3m this morning without any discomfort, furthest I've run since the injury.  The pain when sitting down is all but gone now so I do seem to be slowly on the mend.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Well it seems like Green Pen 1 will be a bit of an old thread reunion. At the mo I know there’s me, Ode, CRAB, njord and Lord Dids all off there. We’ll have a bring a bottle party 😆

Fingers crosses re the shin, TT!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    LS21 - I can imagine the BH weekend must have been manic for you.  Green Pen 1 too, though 99.99% sure I wont be running, looks like its the old FGFA start. That gathering of people from all over makes the LM special.  
    TT - Wise call on the shin, pointless taking chances/risks now.
    Wardi - Great news on your progress.
    TR - Sounds another tough one.  Though if anyone needs a week rest/ taper, I think its you. Enjoy the week off.

4 miles very easy yesterday, same today, going for an easy taper as overdid last week 60m as wasn't planning to race this.  Weather looks benign for Sunday 12C and a touch cloudy, maybe drizzle so will happily take that.  Interesting the Newport marathon was taking late entries, but it is a week before London, same day as Manchester  and don't suppose they sold as many entries as they would have liked.  
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Manchester are still taking entries too OO
    Glad to hear you’re on the mend Wardi.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - do you have antibiotics for that?

Hopefully on the mend Wardi

LS - whilst I know I did the right thing to not run London with a chest infection in Oct, I'd love to be on that start line.

OO - lots of races are still struggling to fill.......I managed 11 days of a 14 day taper, but will need to ease off a bit one way or another soon.

"We" had the same plan as yday for today, so this afternoon's 10m had gales, hills, rain and even some hail. Copped it 3 days in a row........Would be cruel on the London folks if its a bit scorchio after this recent weather.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t I wouldn’t mind a *bit of sun. Whinlatter Pass (where I am am) is currently closest due to a blizzard!

So, gym and treadmill it is tonight then!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I did see that the long term forecast for London looks slightly toasty.  I don't mind 16-18 degrees personally, definitely prefer it to heavy rain and/or wind.

LS21.. so Whinlatter pass is impassable!  Good choice to stay indoors by the sound of it.  BTW  I'm hoping to get to the Red Lion post spectating duties, bumped into CRAB, Ode, TR last year.  Lord Dids is in good form, he co

TR.. ditto, I am feeling slightly melancholy about London now.  Sympathy for another weather battering, 10m well gritted out.

OO.. I'm so pleased the conditions look good for this weekend's marathoners, hope it stays that way.  I've been looking for UK/European marathons in September (if I still want a London GFA).  Warsaw, Wroclaw or Bedford Runfest look favourites assuming I can't get into Berlin.

TT.. I did notice pics of your bright pink shorts on FB.  If you decide to run London in them they will surely be the brightest piece of attire to grace the course since Mr Spraggins ran in his swimming trunks and goggles. :)

My first tentative double post injury.  6.4m this morning, dry & breezy. Out & back route into the wind first.  Very wet this afternoon so 5k on the treadmill done with no ill effects.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    The weather dramatically improved this afternoon. Still bitterly cold but I did a session on the road rather than indoors. 

(Possibly) interesting experiment no 2 - mile hard, 500m jog, half a mile hard, jog rest of loop back to shop. That x 3. 

Rep 1 (Nike Invincible):
    • 6’07, 3’10

Rep 2 (Adidas Adios):
    • 5’57, 3’04

Rep 3 (Vaporfly)
    • 5’49, 3’03

Same HR stats for last 2 (exactly same max abs avg!)

Food for thought there!

Good work on the double wardi!!
  • Options
    Jock ItchJock Itch ✭✭✭
    Hello all.  Just checking in to wish good luck to all doing London.  I've been lurking abit and reading all your exploits.  Sorry to those who are injured and wish you all the best in recovery.

After a 1.22 half in Farnborough in January I've had a few Fibro setbacks.  Constant cramps, muscle spasms etc.  I've done five 20 milers though and four 17 milers so I'm hoping for something reasonable at London.  Managed no real speed for ages though as it gives me calf cramps which then go solid for days.

In two minds as to the plan.  I think a Sub3 is possible but GFA is 3.15 for the V50 so may stick with that as I have no idea if the hips will stay as part of my body past 20 miles.  Lucky to get a London place as I won the clubs ballot.  Marathons don't agree with me so back to 10ks after this I think. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Jock - good to see you. If you ran 1.22 in January and have done  those long runs since then you should be well under sub3 shape, go for 1.29 at 1/2 Way and then ease off if required?

Went out early today for 5m inc strides (gadget says i sneaked under 6mm on 1 rep with the wind behind - woo hoo). Then went to Blenheim palace with the spo which is a 90min drive, glute was real sore from the driving......what's the piriformis/sciatica dodge for driving ? If i do the Dorset mara soon its a 60m drive, which needs to be more comfortable.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    JI.  must be a few years since you trod a marathon course.  I expect to hear of excessive showboating in the latter stages, hope you go well.

SJ.. Best of luck to you too.

TR.. when I had the PITA when sitting recently, tramadol was definitely the most effective drug.  Bizarrely I found hard seats less painful than soft seats.  I got the SPO to do a recent long distance drive so I could work out a comfy position.

7.5m today, managed to dodge the worst of the wind & rain.  Thankfully it all calms down tomorrow onwards.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - I sit on a cushion in the car (sometimes 2 cushions) to lift myself up a bit. I also have a hockey ball in the central console thing which I pop under my glute/take out for a bit, pop back under etc for long drives. It honestly helps me immensely.

Hello to Jock - we’ve spoken elsewhere mate, but it’ll be good to see you!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

There you go. Every journey is at least one of those cushions, and that hockey’s ball is now a permanent fixture 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s why the Vaporfly have proved so popular LS21.
    Were the Adios the Pro3? Presume the Vaporfly are the Next% 2 rather than the original 4%.
    Obviously you should repeat the experiment twice more, rotating the order of the shoes each time to negate any effects of initial stiffness or later fatigue. 
    Ball under the glute & break up the journey TR. Nice to see sub 6 pace again.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Jooligan - the Adios Pro 2, and the Vaporfly Next%. I did a similar experiment last week (2 mile reps that time) and included the Alphafly in that. 

The Vapors came out on top in that too (not by much, but a marked difference). I did the last of my reps that day in the Adios, and the time was a little down (not loads, but enough). Wasn’t sure if fatigue played a part? That’s why I did rep 2 in them y’day, and saved the Vapors til the end. 

All very unscientific etc, but interesting nonetheless. 

I do enjoy running in the Vapors. They just feel fast! I’m just not sure my achilles will hold out for the full 26 miles in them, cos they’re a bit unstable. Trying to weigh up the risk/reward really. In a sense I’ve got a free hit at London cos my Abo time has already got me in for 2024. But I’d obviously like to run well still. Will have a ponder. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips, I've a spiky ball, but didn't think to use it driving. Looks like there's a few of us affected.

Jools - it was only for some fraction of a wind asssisted 30sec stride, but hopefully its a good sign.