Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - I’m 99% sure my hammy going bang was caused by sciatica from my circa 3 hour drive to York (for the Brass Monkey). 

A week or two after the injury I took my daughter to the water park at Blackpool (2 hour drive). It was excruciating. I had to stop twice. Just pull off the M6 and just get out of the car. It was the same coming back. 

Since I’ve started using the cushions and ball it’s been a game-changer. I’m actually taking that ball with me to London (for the train journey). Hopefully it works for you too. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Cheers. I'm not used to driving much lately as i run and bike commute nowadays. I probably drive for less than an hour total most weeks, some weeks quite a lot less than an hour.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Great to see a 5:XX something.  I didn't realise you had tapered that much recently.  Some gritty runs this week. 
    LS21 - You've given yourself a dilemma there.  My choice is between VF2 (155 miles) or a brand new pair, remembering the first VF2 gave me heel blisters in their first 2 marathons.  Going to go with the VF2 with 150+m on. Nice set-up with the car - I have something to learn there.
    Jock - I would say your in with a very good shout of sub3 too.
    Wardi - I am tempted by Warsaw too.  I have a thing on where I want to run marathons in Europes 10 largest countries by population 5 done (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal) so far. 

Another 4m easy today, legs feel pretty heavy so that will be it until Sunday as want to run  fresh.   Feeling a little bit meh, partly as carbo-loading (yay) is accompanied by no caffeine (boo) and also as my son is unwell and been in bed since Tuesday with a temperature :/  So preventatively overdosing on vits.  
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    OO - good luck avoiding the lurgy. No idea if it actually helps, but I always hit the Vicks First Defence during marathon week. I think Charlie W put me onto it. It does seem to help me I think (perhaps that’s psychological?) I always go for the Vicks though - had the Lemsip version once and didn’t feel it was as good. 

And a bit late to be messing about now, but I had some initial issues with the VFs in terms of heel slippage. Easily remedied (for me) by using a runner’s knot - that locked my heel down much better. 

Good luck anyway chap! If you’re feeling rubbish then you’re tapering well!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Jock.

Good luck on Sunday, OO!  I hope the weather improves a bit by then.  It's miserable here today.

TR: Mr. Jools swears by his fancy cushion (a sort of firm foam wedge) for longer driving. 

5 miles here this morning.  Glad to report it's still comfortable to run, so I might go mad and do 6 miles tomorrow.  I could even hit double figures next month, which would be nice.  I'm stuck with the same old routes at the moment on low mileage!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Thanks Joolska go bonkers and do 6 tonight.  Lovely day here, so a long walk with the doggy for later.   Light rain and wind for Newport for Sunday (normal weather there I'd imagine) so will take that. Around 9C at the start and 12C at the finish.

LS21 - Ha ha, cheers, think I've got a touch but its leaving. I am on the daily lemsip, will seek out Vicks for next time, though a Vicks inhaler is my raceday secret weapon.  

Race bag packed!  150m Nike VF2 packed and rather out of keeping, weatherwise, Gran Canaria marathon running vest.  Nutrition sorted - 3 gels- 1 caff and 2 SIS Beta, 500 ml of Monster, Bevita soft bakes race breakfast.  Staying over in Taunton tomorrow and 80 minute drive to the race early doors Sunday morning.   Pace plan is 6.25-6.30 mm, ideally 84 mins H/W,   2.09 @ 20 miles and hopefully enough in the tank for a 40 minute 10k.  Will take a cushion. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Cheers Jools, looks like I need a cushion to go with the ball then.

OO - got everything covered there. A vest ? Might be a bit chilly for that? My VF2 have 170ish on them, I don't plan on breaking out the new ones yet. But probably for the next mara after 200m, then keep the old ones for shorter races.

Absolute drenching again today, so only did the minimum 5m inc strides, I'd have gone further if dry, but I'm pissed off with the wind and rain, a couple of easy days won't hurt. Forecast is for better tomorrow and id like to do something decent.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Hopefully things have returned to normality after your hectic bank-holiday weekend LS21. Loving all the shoe experimentation btw. Top tips for long journeys' in the car. Nice setup with the cushions. 

The beatings from the weather are enough to try anyone's patience TR. Any room for a treadie? I know they are not for everyone and I try to use mine as a last resort but it does come in handy for a bit of a break from the soakings. Good to see a little speed back in your running, a bit of wind assistance always welcome. 

In fine shape OO despite usual taper heavy legs and good to see you once again getting the most out of your training with a late Newport entry. A very solid looking race plan which I am sure you will smash. Go well.

Great to see you feeling more upbeat Joolska and slowly but surely adding some volume. Great to have that feeling of running pain free again. 

That 20 miler recently with all the mixed paces sounded a real arithmetic-testing run TT. I would have had to write all that down on the back of my hand. As others noted, looking strong for a good race a week on Sunday. Hope the shin niggle has settled down? 

Excellent news Wardi in feeling a little better and hopefully off the bench. Thanks for the best wishes.

Maybe see you Sunday Jooligan. I'm off Red A and I think you are Red B if the entry list is correct? I usually get to the cricket ground nice and early to avoid queues for the toilets and generally more comfortable all round on the tram etc. I sit on the picnic benches the otherside of the baggage drop tents until the last moment to go through the start gate. Have a good one mate if I don't catch up with you. 

I've been dipping in and out here because work has been punishing me again. The taper has largely come and gone without me noticing it too much. I've taken the odd extra days rest due to tiredness, more mental than physical, so hopefully reasonably fresh for the race on Sunday.  

I have a reasonable idea of current form and fitness so lets see what the running gods bestow upon me. The biggest thing this campaign was adding more tempo pace volume so it will be interesting to see if I've recruited any more speed endurance off the back of that. Other than that I've ticked the boxes and will see where that takes me. Nice and steady through halfway. Try not to get too giddy at 16 miles when it (mostly) (usually) (hopefully) feels pretty good and then see if I can hold pace to the finish. 

#1119 race number but the app they use is supposed to be a bit crap.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The weather gods are with you SJ, go well.  Yes the Manchester tracker hasn't been the best in the last couple of years.

Ditto OO, hope you stay clear of the lurgy and have a good run.

Yes do the 6m Jools, I felt mildly elated after my first 6 miler post injury

TR.. I was luckier than you it seems.  Ran a few dry miles this morning and it started raining just as I got home.  Looks like a wet walk to the pub tonight though.. Might pop down to Parkrun tomorrow to see if I can beat last week's bimble.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Morning All, 1st time posting on here for a while (again!), prompted by a message back & forth with @Wardi after he spied me in the parkrun results up in Yorkshire last weekend. Happy to see a nice selection of the usual crowd are on here still regularly :) Hope those who have been having injury issues get off the bench quickly!

I will be at Manchester tomorrow (no. 1009). Not entirely sure how it is going to go, main target is to improve on last October's Abingdon low 2:40 into a sub 2:40 and back into London Champs for next year. My training has been reasonable, decent mileage but not a lot of racing. Southampton Half 2 weeks ago came out at about 77:30ish (adjusted for long course) at around marathon HR, which I'll take as a good sign as it's not a very flat one. I'm also in for the England masters champs qualification, but this is a bit of lottery depending on which V40s turn up and are registered to qualify....

Now off to hop in the car for a 4.5hr drive north.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Al, tasty target and aim.  4.5 hours in the car ouch. Hope you took a cushion. 
    Hope you had sunshine for you run TR. Glorious day. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    SJ - your build up races bode well, remember what moose would tell you.

Al - good to see you. Go well. 4.5hrs might need a cushion and a ball.

OO - just been out in the sun with the doggy. Wasn't sunny when i ran, but didn't rain, woo  hoo. 20m done inc efforts, was on fumes by the end, tough run due to the wind.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    20m nicely done TR, barely any breeze up here but I guess it's always more likely near the coast.

Hope you crack the sub 2.40 Al P, should be a few runners around you at that pace.

Lovely conditions at Parkrun again today with light winds.  Nearly 700 there this morning.  118th in 23.42.  Still a way to go but it was 46 secs quicker than last week so progress made.  About 3 deep puddles to negotiate too after yesterday's rain!  7m done with add ons.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    OO & TR - I had a memory foam wedge cushion to sit on in the car, I find it keeps glute/hammy discomfort down on long drives, would recommend one!

TR - Your commitment to knocking out the proper long runs never fails to impress! I should do more but family & work time limits my ability to fit them in on a regular basis.

Wardi - Good to hear you are improving at parkrun  :) Knavesmire is a popular run...

In hotel, carbed up and ready to go, first big city marathon in 4 years!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Green vest/white stripe, #1203 & Red B it is SJ. I’m hoping to do a LR with company so may demote myself. I’ll keep my eyes peeled. 
    That’s positive progress Wardi.
    Good luck to all racers. Conditions in Manchester certainly look favourable 😀 Massive relief after the weather this week.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Will read back properly during the week (work has been a pig - extra responsibilities), but good luck to all racers tomorrow! I look forward to the reports. 

Shin niggle has taken out this week, but being sensible and it's improving (managed 9m on Friday which exacerbated it so opted for 2 days off with intensive rehab and revisit on Monday). 

I'll be ok to race next Sunday but obviously a lost week+ is not helpful. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Just popping in to wish the racers all the best for tomorrow really. Kick it hard and don't be shit etc. Hoping to see a few 'reasonables' come tomorrow afternoon. Good luck chaps!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Go well folks

Wardi - good progress

Al - I don't have any Saturday morning kids activities any more, so get my run done 9am saturday (or it won't get done).

TT - arse, not ideal.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    SJ and Al_P are both going well. Come on lads, keep it going!
  • Options
    2.55.12. Kept it even all the way until 20 then gave it some as felt good. Last 1-2km needed concentration To get the job done. Sprint finish obviously once the finish line came into view, Charlie Spedding is right, 25% physical, 75% mental.

I'll catch up later as I think I might have a nap after a soak in the bath.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Well done SJ, good you were able to speed up at the end. Job done. Another sub 3 bagged. 

2.49.24 for me very reasonable. I will write more later. But pretty pleased how it went. 3 hour drive home, how I needed a foam cushion. 
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Superb chaps!! Fantastic stuff!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Excellent OO, keeping your high standards up in twilight years is very impressive.  Hope you can enjoy a beer or two later. 🍻

Great stuff SJ, encouraging that you could speed up in the latter stages.  I think you were sandwiched in between a couple of my clubmates who both clocked 2.55.  Enjoy the snooze.

Very pleased to see Al P did what it said on the tin.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Top work OO, another sub 250, especially impressive seeing that you only entered last week.

SJ - very strong run, got to be proud of that one. Well executed.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Been treating a lad up here in clinic who’s doing London for the first time and it reminded me of my own London marathons and days posting on here. Thought I’d pop in say good luck to everyone running next Sunday and indeed other spring marathons. I’ve picked up the lurgy of some sort a week before my main spring fell race next sat 🤦‍♂️😂 Hopefully enough time to recover still, feeling marginally better today so ‘progress’

Enjoy the day folks and hope you all get your pbs👍 (hope any niggles settle too)
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Steller run OO and must have been very well executed as you got the result you wanted exactly. With the drive to do afterwards too. Top stuff. 

Great result for you too Al_P, esecpaily after that lengthy drive too up from the NF. Well done. 

Sorry to read the shin niggle has not settled as yet TT. Fingers crossed the extra couple of days as helped it. 

Nice pr progress Wardi. Heading in the right direction. 

Good luck for next weekend RS78.

Very nicely done on the dry 20 TR. No wonder you were on fumes at the end with the faster running and the wind. Hopefully you recovered appropriately with a few cold ones?  
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations SJ. Your measured approach & methodical training got the rewards they deserved. Missed you at the start by arriving at bag drop for 8:30 😆
    Well done indeed OO & Al_P.
    As planned I demoted myself a wave & went off with Pink A starting a few rows back from the 3:30 pacer. I hung back a bit from the group but by about 5K I’d caught ‘em up. I was feeling OK apart from occasional hot flushes 😆: I poured most of the first water bottle over my head! It was pretty crowded running behind the pace group & every so often we’d catch a relay runner going significantly slower which interrupted my rhythm & pissed me off so at some point (about 10K?) I went past them on a downhill & stayed a bit ahead. I was lapping manually fortunately as despite running an even pace the splits were all over the shop. I only had HR (sub 150) & current lap pace on display & until we turned in Altrincham my splits & the display were never the same. From the markings 5M was 40:22, 10M was 1:19:32, 15M was 1:58:56 & 20M was 2:39:50. (I’d lost a few seconds on the hill in Altrincham) Just as we passed the 20M marker the 3:30 pace group passed me & I briefly tagged on the back before my legs refused to obey my will. From then on each mile got slower & slower. At 24M I walked for a minute, gave myself a talking to & began running again - getting the lap pace down to 10:17 in spite of the walking. It was therefore demoralising to see the 25th mile split come in at 10:48! Apparently my watch measured it as 1.05M🤬 Mile 25 was reached at 3:27:57. I upped my effort slightly & kept the pace sub 10 for the final 1.22M to the finish crossing the line & stopping the watch on 3:39:55.
    I’m ok with the time but disappointed my legs began collapsing from 19M again.
    Given I’ve only ran 10x10-13, 4x14, 3x15, an 18, a 20, a 22 & a 24 in the 14 week build-up I guess that’s to be expected. Especially as all bar two of the MLRs have been simply plodding at 8:24-11:24.

I felt sick & wobbly once I’d crossed the line so pretty sure I didn’t leave anything out on the course - apart from a glove 😂 Even managed to hold my guts together til I’d got my bag & was back in warm dry clothes.
    Recovery is the order of the day now ahead of Sunday’s trip to the capital.
  • Options
    Thanks folks, 

TL;DR:
    Yes super happy and proud of that run today. Although a smidge outside my PB I think today was the best I have ever run the distance. I think there is still some tweaking I can do and always things to take away from the experience. That experience is starting to really help with executing the plan as today proved I think. 

Manchester Marathon Race Report

I got the first tram at 7:20am from the bottom of my road and was at the cricket ground for just after 8am. Which meant I had about 10 mins to get sorted, drop my bag, and make my way out to the start holding area. So, not much time to look around for anybody. 

There was a slight delay getting going, an issue with the wheelchair competitors I think, so a bit of waiting which was ok but I had discarded my fleece so got a little cold. Weather felt perfect, grey skies, with only the slightest bit of a gust now and again which it turned out didn't affect me at all. The drizzle late on my annoying though as a bespeckled runner I had to keep wiping the lenses. A distraction only really. 

Finally sent on our way and its the usual mass start with runners flying off in all directions, some jumping up onto kerbs - which always makes me shudder, others changing direction right in front of other runners. its a fast start downhill so I guess to be expected. It settles down reasonably quickly.

I decided I would set off at 4:10/km (6:40/mile) pace and hold that if it felt comfy. That would put me around 2:55 high so would hopefully give me room to pick the pace up if it was a good day at the office.

The first few km are a bit twisty and the roads quite congested. So many more folks are running quickly these days. I feel like the last 5 years has seen a big leap forward in terms of folks running really well - which of course is to be admired and commended. 

Into and out of the city centre as the route snakes it's way back up past Old Trafford. Official results say 10k in 41:51 (4:11/km) so far so good. A smidge outside my initial target pace but that's not a bad thing in a marathon as we all know.

Leaving Old Trafford behind and heading toward familiar territory and the first time through Sale - my clubs home turf. Support here is always great and even more so if you're a local runner. Feeling good still and running alongside some like-minded runners which keeps things ticking along. Taking on a few sips of water at each station. 

My watch keeps bleeping every 4:xx low as each km flies by. The occasional 4:07 or 4:11 but it all felt very even. Through Sale and on towards Altrincham. As halfway approaches I mess up briefly in pausing my run on my watch, luckily only a few seconds pass before I realised! 

13 miles and then the halfway mat reached in 1.27.19 officially (4:08/km). I'm reasoning that running on home turf gave me a few seconds per km. No harm done as I still felt good. In retrospect possibly a few seconds too fast for the first half? 

In and out of Altrincham high st, great support once again but for Altrincham AC mainly - so many local clubs in close proximity. Then the long drag up Brooklands rd which feels like it goes on forever back to Sale, more fantastic support. 

I reach 30k in 2.05:03 (4:12/km). A slight decrease in pace but I didn't know that at the time as the splits on my watch stayed consistent. It was hardly a significant drop in pace and I don't feel it was much of a factor in my race. 

I go through 20 miles in 2.12.58 (sorry for mixing miles and km, I get confused myself) which is from my watch splits. I've taken my 4 gels at this point, 1 every 30 mins and take a block of SiS beta jelly. I change screens on my watch from viewing current lap stats to overall stats. It's now all about time. I start to count down from 40 mins of running left, 35, 30, 25 etc. 

I now start to let my legs go a little more. 4:01/km, 4:00, 3:53, 4:00 for 33-37k. This feels flippin' great. I'm passing tons of people. My left quad on the inside aches a little but calves seem fine. I'm working now and can hear my breathing deepening. I tried to flow and relax. 

4:00/km, 4:07, 4:06 for 38-40k. Still going great, passing more and more. Legs starting to creak but I'm close now. Stop looking at my watch. I catch and pass a team mate. Words of encouragement exchanged. Its carnage everywhere as bodies start to fall apart. Its getting tough now. Dig in.  

Then, just like that, I suddenly felt quite tired. My legs started to creak even more. The odd twinge as things start to fail. It all got quite hard for the first time in the race. 41st km 4:11, and then the toughest km 42 in 4:18. As the finish line comes into view, my team mate takes me back and I manage to pick up the pace in annoyance I guess and surge for the line 3:56/km pace. 

A fist pump as I cross the line and then straight into a hammy cramp. Pretty sure that happened in 2019 too :smile: 2.55.12 officially and just 27 secs off my PB from York also from 2019. I went from 1188 place after 10k to 684 at the end. 

As I said, delighted at the way I executed the run. I think I ran it smart and maximised my training. Having said all that there is always things to learn as I alluded to at the top of this lengthy post. Maybe I went through halfway slightly too fast. Maybe I let the legs go too early. In hindsight I probably could of kept a lid on it until 22-3 miles. Things to think about for the next one. 
  • Options
    x-post Jooligan

Snooped you result and figured it was a tough last few miles. Glad you stuck with it and hopefully you have a better day next week. That hill in Alti is a bit of a nuisance. 

Recover well ! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play Jools, that was a tough day after a tangle with CV recently. You went into it under prepared, hope you get back to 100% soon.

SJ - very well executed run, not sure you could have waited any later to push on, you need to leave it all out there. Whilst even paced, isnt even effort i really like it as it feels good to push on, and puts the emphasis on the quads rather than hammies. Excellent return on investment. You could PB next time.

Marathon day is a great day, I'm pissed off to be missing out, but there's satisfaction to be had from the success of others on here.