Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    That's right Gobi. It reads to me like PP is probably in a similar-ish place to me, so I can't imagine 2s/m being a problem for him tbh. I had guesstimated that's roughly were I would be, and Wokingham off tired legs seems to back that up..... Only thing is, if I manage Reading at 5:50 pace, should I be thinking about a slightly quicker mara pace? Decisions, decisions...... Given your pacing ability I'd have money on you hitting tergat at Draycote, cold or no cold.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT, I hope so I need a good race here.

calculation for you 2 x half marathon PB + 6-10 mins for your london target.

I'm hoping that I can run 2.3X something at London but will NOT be fully rested.
  • Options
    Cheers all for the encouragement!  TT - you're forgetting I'm running Paris, not London.  So if I'm on that train it's a week late!  image I'll be popping my head out of the front door (literally) to cheer you all on though.  And what's 2 secs between friends?  My pace for the first 11 miles last night (slight net downhill, mainly flat/pavements) was 6:14, and then slowed down a bit after I had to run up the side of Greenwich Park and across a lumpy heath.
  • Options

TT –I am looking at 6.15 mm pace for London (i.e. with the ultimate aim of sub 2.45).  However like you I will see how I go at Reading and the Cranleigh 21 miler.

Although, after last year were the heat scupered a lot of peoples targets, I am not getting to hung up on it.  So if I turn up on the day and it is 25C then I might just aim for sub 3.00 and enjoy the race.

• Options

Perhaps we need a train list for FLM:

2:09 - Marders

2.33 - DFC (this train reserves the reet to get seriously delayed and may even terminate at London Bridge)

2.44 - TT, CF

• Options

Rest day today (21 day rule) - I'm finding it very hard work, the OCD has really taken hold. Finding it hard to rationalise the benefits of a rest day with the strong desire to go for a run - does anyone else feel like this on their rest days?

CF/PP/TT - looks like you guys will be challenging (and bettering) my PBs soon.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Coro - yes! I think it helps in the long run though, physically and mentally (you'll really want to go running tomorrow!)

Run was fine, could still feel it pulling slightly on the occasional stride but it didn't get any worse. 6M at about 6:40s on the way out, 6:20s back, felt pretty easy. Will try another one tonight, probably 7M a bit quicker, then LVSR tomorrow morning and the last XC league race on Sunday (the big one, if I win I've won the league!).

• Options
    I'll have a look at what my HR was last time brian and have a go from there. TT faster than marathon pace, I don't feel as bad having read that it does tend to be the hardest runs, just the darn heart rate. The bit padams put about running on your own is comforting as well

Hour and a halfs run tonight, I think how the first few miles feel will determine if its a P&D increasing or a steady one

• Options

Know exactly what you mean Coro, but I usually manage to convince myself the rest days benefit me, and have at least one every week. Good motivation turnaround for you though, you were really struggling a few weeks back. I guess thats what the marathon training is all about, big peaks and troughs in motivation 'n that.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

I find rest days very hard. Used to plan my rest day for a Friday so that after a hard week I could take it early on Thursday if needed. Now I've been resting on most Mondays, but as that's the start of the running week it feels wrong to start the week off with a fat round zero. Had two rest days last week with my mini-taper for Wokingham (no run the day before) so no rest day this week.

I know it makes sense to rest, but I always seem to feel worse after a rest day than after a hard day, niggles seem to appear out of nowhere.

Can't run right now, poorly 9 year old in the living room and I'm working from home. By 4pm the older kids will be home and I'll pop out for a few miles then.

• Options
    MtR I'm the same, always feel worse after a day off.  So my 'rest' days involve running about 4 miles at a very very slow pace (~9 min/mile).  Very rarely have a day off completely unless life outside of running forces me to.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Good news Padams

interesting one on the 21 day rule and rest days in general. I have found that while "illISH" I am running each day out of habit rather than have a total day off to recover. My 21 days is not until next week.
  • Options

PP - Top run there, 'specially on your own. Well done.

TippTop - I have made the same decision as you regarding massages and now book another one straight after having one done, otherwise I leave it too long and varied parts of me get tight. I get my physio to do them now too rather than a sports massage therapist, he is much better. Last time I went he advised me that no matter how well you stretch, there is only so much stretching can do for a person. Seeing as I am carp at stretching in the first place I now have no trouble justifying the cost!

Some of my pb's have been set untapered and I have a couple of nightmare races when supposedly rested, not sure it make huge differences to performance other than for the marathon but that's just my unscientific and personal view.

All my runs this week have been a tad shorter than I would have wished due to half term although I have managed to complete all my sessions and will get to a tad under 60. Same frustration as having a rest day when you know it makes sense but you want to run anyway! Keep telling myself one or two miles less on each run will make no difference and it's consistency that counts overall but the OCD side of my personality is telling me I will bomb in the marathon because of it!

Track today after two days of steady 8 milers, supposed to be 15x400's off 100 recs at 10k pace but again I only had an hour including the drive there and back so did 2 miles w/u and 12x400's. Much better pacing than last week (all reps between 90-93 secs'), bit cheesed off with the speed.

Off to the athletics at Birmingham in the morning but will be up early for another 8 miles then 21 on Sunday with Mrs DFC.

Oh - and it's my wedding anniversary today, 9 years! I shall raise a glass of Moet (anniversary treat!) to wish a speedy recovery to Pug, DFC and Jools

Happy running folks.

• Options
    Gobi - you'll be fine. Experience counts for a lot in these situations. Re: your calculation, my thinking is if I hit tergat at Reading (5:50), the 16s rule says 6:06 (i.e. 2:40). Your calculation give a range of 2:38:50 - 2:42:50, so not unreasonable. I guess it's just the idea of a potential 2:40 when I hadn't expected to be anywhere near there has taken me a little by surprise. Mind you, I've got to get Reading first before it's even a possibility, so.....

PP - Doh! Apologies! Aside from Wokingham, I haven't run any kind of distance at any kind of pace yet, and until I start doing some runs like you've just done, I'm going to keep having the worry that I'm going to be nowhere near tergat.... Hopefully tomorrow morning will go to plan and I'll feel a lot more confident. It's ironic really, as last year I done loads of longer runs at (my then) PMP, but feel quicker this time around.

cf - if we hit 5:50 at Reading you, like me, should probably be thinking about quicker at London.

wtgy - if you've done 10.5 30s per mile quicker than MP then that's a bloody good session. 30s per mile quicker than MP is actually there or thereabouts at 10k pace in theory.......

coro - possibly, but you're only going to keep improving them anyway, so it's a moving target really image

Padams - good news. Re: rest days, I do most of my running pre-breakfast, so if I'm having a rest day I just wake up later and that's it sorted image

Congrats SueC! My masseur is actually a mate, it's just events have conspired over the last few months and I keep forgetting in between.
  • Options
    I wish TT 30s overall! ie just inder 3 secs per mile
  • Options
    wtgy - oops, I'm mis-reading all-round today. Still, similar to PP's session then, either way a good one.....

Gobi - just clicked, this one is linked to the CG, isn't it?
  • Options
    Sorry, Commonwealth Games. You mentioned ultra running as a demonstration sport a while back for next year's games if I remember rightly.
  • Options

Interesting debate on the HM to Mara conversion. I approach it from the other side of the (train) tracks.... I will be pretty unhappy if I don't go any faster than 5.50s at Reading, yet I would be far from confident of doing a sub 2.45 at London (if I was running it seriously) let alone a sub 2.40. Certainly a HM + 6min would be wayyyy to optimistic for me (that would be 2.36 ffs! The marathon just seems to have that odd way of rearing up and biting people on the backside in the last few miles that never happens in quite the same way in a half...... but maybe that's just me (and Dan A....)

Anyway - 4m slow (7.30s) and 9 m quick-ish (6.45s?) today. Should rack up 80 miles again for the week and starting to feel quite fit again.   

• Options

SC - congratulations!  I always like to check what crazy material you're supposed to buy on these lesser known anniversaries... and google tells me pottery is traditional, or leather as a modern alternative.  Hmmm... depends how kinky you're feeling I suppose.

Rest days - well it's a Friday, so that's me doing b*gger all running today as usual, and popping down the pub for a few snifters after work.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, long term picture

NtS, i guess I see it the other way because I come from races longer than marathon.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

I am with NtS on the half to mara conversion. Have a 76 from Wokingham now, but primary target for London is still 2:44:xx. If I am feeling great at 20, I may try picking up a few more secs here and there, but setting off for a sub 2:40 just ain't going to happen.

I have a slight alternative approach to rest days. Take Friday as a rest day every week and just make sure you work hard enough the previous 6 days that your legs are begging you for a rest day on the thurs evening session.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Wow that´s my longest yet (18.35mile in 2hr 15min).  Quite an experience... looking forward to the main event now and I can appreciate the efforts from the super quick or the super long (or both)!

Rest day wise I have as friday in the programme but that´ll change to tomo to rest before the 8km race on Sun. 

There are some very impressive times going up and some great progress.  I´d be very with 2.59.59.9 to be honest... no wasted effort!

• Options

Hail Hail

Congratulations Sue.  I assume that the church was booked for the previous day?  Enjoy your night.

PP - great run.  I reckon that you're slightly ahead of where I was at this time last year, so I'd be happy putting money on you going sub  2.45.

Wish I could convert my marathon time (2.44) into a equivalent half time. My PB is only 1.18.  Mind you, I race so infrequently, that I dont think I do that well over shorter stuff.

17M this morning.  First 10 were nice and easy @ 6.40-6.50 pace, but then struggled after 13.  Know I should have done the extra 3M, but I had absolutely NO energy (no carbs the previous night, and minimal breakfast) left.  Will try to do another 20M on Sunday.  Maybe.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dissapointing RB, I was hoping for 17 at 6:40 from you.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PP
    I stil applaud you on your life change - from 18st of lard to 2:45 (hopeful) in 2 years. Top banana.
  • Options
    Only a PB half of 1:18 - how disappointing..............

<goes off wishing he was anywhere near that>
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I guess with a 2.44 half 78 is ok RB
  • Options
    TT you said “ if we hit 5:50 at Reading you, like me, should probably be thinking about quicker at London.”.  Afraid I am in the NTS camp. A 1.16.XX at Reading would make me confident of going for 2.44.XX at FLM and no more.  Having blown up badly in last years FLM, if I get anywhere close to 2.44.xx I will be V happy…as it would be approx. 5 minute PB from Amsterdam (and on a supposedly slower course).

I always take one day-off a week (Sunday), I find it helps me keep the motivation. 

Is anyone racing this weekend?

And best wishes to the bench….have few beers and the future will be rosy (and fast)

• Options
    RB - Me too, HM PB of 77:40 and 3 weeks later a FLM 07 of 2:52!! Apart from the one-offs like temperature and a sleepless night, I tend to run too conservatively in marathons whereas in HM I am pushing it all of the time. Also after 20m in, unless your on a roll so easy to lose 30-45 ses a mile.

Pug - Not the best news. Some great advice from EdB and NtS. Will be mulling this over myself over the next 3 weeks on the bench before starting training in early March for NtS FLM Madman WR challenge. Pick yourself an Autumn marathon - Berlin? - and build up slowly to it. I am looking at Abingdon maybe Amsterdam for this years sub 250 (prob too slow for this thread now!)