Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    CF - What happened in last years FLM? Too hot, too fast, what time were you aiming for what did you get. The post race prevailing view at the time was most of us were 3-5 minutes down on the times we thought we were going to get.
  • Options

OO – was aiming for close to 2.50, went through half at 1.23 got massive stitch at 19 miles (was falling-off target time by then), which I could not get rid of (tried all the tricks) and ended up walking the last 6 miles to record a miserable 3.30.

RB – no news on the trainers yet

Right, off to the pub.

• Options

1:16:30 at Reading last year got me 2:47:30 at FLM (HM split was 1:22:20). 3200M later and I'm now hoping 1:13:xx will get me 2:36/7, but so much depends upon the conditions on the day.

Have you all got your Reading numbers? I see they have introduced colour coding this year, with yellow = Elite. I can't remember my estimated time (74 min?) but it has got me a yellow number. 

• Options

"Wish I could convert my marathon time (2.44) into a equivalent half time."

RB: In this context, most would be delighted with the 2:44 and not so fussed about the half.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Coro, I have my yellow number for Reading off a 76 (I think) predicted time. Although I also have a mate with a yellow number who thinks he put down 90 as a predicted time, so it could be a bit of a free for all at the start!
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

TT, CF looks like we could all be aiming for 2.44.xx at FLM. Think I heard Gobi shout your forum name near the start of Wokingham on Sunday.  Hoping to get a good months training in and be ready for Fleet half mid-March and maybe a low 76 or 75.xx. That should indicate that 2.44 or thereabouts is definitely on.   6.15's for 26miles does seem quite daunting at the mo. 

GOBI also read the article from RF, pretty good piece and a fair bit of coverage.

• Options
    JH1 - that's right, I was actually in the group jogging around for a cooldown at the end, but you were up front chatting to MtR, and I was chatting to Gobi a bit further back, and then got sidetracked when we stopped, so never got to say hello.

JAP - yellow numbers = < 1:25 for Reading.

RB - I'd have thought a 78/2:44 is not a bad match-up.

Well done Olly.

Looks like I'm in a minority in thinking that 5:50 HM pace is a fair estimate of 6:06(ish) MP... heh ho. I'll worry about it when I get the 5:50HM pace.

Massage done. One fully operational ankle image Seems the pain was caused by some blood clotting from a (very slight) tear just above the ankle, so once the clot was broken down, the pain instantly disappeared. Never ceases to amaze me how the human body works!

Good luck at Draycote Gobi. Anybody else running this weekend?
  • Options

Evening folks,

Difficult to keep up with you lot, especially since the IT  Police at work have blocked all forums (bar stewards). From reading back it looks like this is now a Sub 2:45 Thread. Some cracking long runs and tempo stuff. Well done folks.

Interesting HM to Mara conversions, i think HMx2 + 6-10mins looks a good  guide. Seems to be in line with a number of predictors. McMillan and Running for Fitness calculators seem to agree - not that they're right of course?

Agree this thread can be a dangerous place to hang out. There is a tendancy to read all the great reports, mileage and training times and push for the same. When coming back from injury (like a few of us on here) it is sometimes difficult to hold back and be sensible.

Talking of which, planning a 15-16m long run tomorrow (If knee holds up?) Starting to worry that FLM is very close and i'm still not 100% fit, training needs a serious step up!!

Good luck to those racing at the weekend ... Gobi, +??

• Options

OO I've just put a block on all targets. I'd purposly not given myself any targets from when I started back just before Xmas, purely just to get myself fit. Then I did that 30 minutes (actually 29:52 offical) for 5 mile 2 weeks ago and thought, hey, maybe I can go sub 3 again at London... then this happens... so kinda sick of setting targets, that I never meet (bet you lot never thought you'd hear me say that hey lol)....

I've had a good think and it's one of those things... gutting as is your injury OO, but it happens... and that's life. Just been watching Sly on Jonathan Ross, he's a bit of a hero of mine, always has been... and he's in terrific shape for a 61 year old... I mean, 61 and legging around forrests killing bad guys, fantastic.

All is not lost, yeah London if I can be bothered running, will just plod around as training probably 3:30 or something or might pace a mate to sub 4 who's running... I've completly written off anything now until the summer months.

Going to go out on the bike tomorrow morning... it'll be 48 hours since physio and he said he'd wait then go on the bike, no hills though, so I'll have to find a nice flat route... where I don't know, but I'll find one somewhere I suppose. If I can get out for 2 hours tomorrow and 2 hours Sunday then job done.

As for beers, well, to be honest, I don't/never drink in the house, it's not a habit I'd liek to make, and rarely drink out now so... my habit is chocolate image 

Pug image

• Options

Hail Hail

Nice habit Pug.  Not too sure about your hero worship though!   Good to see a sensible attitude over your recent setback.  Good luck with your rehabiliatation.

TR - sorry to let you down.  Will try to make up for it tomorrow (and a football including 2x7/8M today). 

Good luck all racers esp Gobi at Draycote.  Quick results please.  In all ways.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Pug, glad to hear you are sounding more positive about overcoming this setback. And pacing a mate to a sub 4 sounds like a good, sensible and rewarding target for the minute.

Good luck Gobi and anyone else racing this weekend.

Hope the sun stays out and it warms uo a bit, am off out for my long one in an hour. Hopefully knock out about 22 today.

• Options

CF - I think I remember you running a *very* strong finish at Amsterdam (anything approaching a +ve split in a marathon is a strong finish IMHO), so anyone on your FLM train is in a good place (nae pressure likes).

Coro - Having a serious moment (sorry!) I've now got 6 marathons under my belt, i.e. no expert, but done a bit...   What I've noticed is that my HM to M conversion is improving with each one, i.e., getting closer and closer to Macmillan calc, which you'd expect is a result of experience/conditioning for marathons - and I'd guess this is equivalent to my MP getting closer and closer to my LT pace.  Anyway I've got a hunch that you'll be getting "more MP" for your HMP than you did last year - just a thought.

• Options

Gobi - Good luck at Draycote - I'm expecting good things!!

Gatorade - I hope you are right. Last FLM was done with ~2000M in the previous 12 months, little speedwork and only 1 x 10k, 1 x 10M and 1HM races under my belt. This year I will have ~3200M + a lot more quality sessions. Hopefully the HM/M conversion will improve. 

Just been out for a hilly offroad 10M (~63 min). I spent the first two miles trying to catch a runner about 400m ahead - he was going much faster than I first thought. When I finally got to him I was doing 6:00m/m! I started having a chat with him. He is from Belgium and had just moved to WGC the week before with his wife. He mentioned that he was running FLM, so I asked what sort of time his was looking for, "oh around 2:27, but I'm not really a marathon runner". That explained why it was so damn difficult to catch him. We talked a bit more, and it turns out he is an ultra runner, with a 100k PB of 7:27 but is looking to get close to 7:00 - I know very little about ultra running but I guessing I should be impressed (Gobi/DanA - how impressed should I be?). Anyway I've arranged to go for a 20M run with him tomorrow - maybe painful.

• Options
    Morning Sub3ers,

Coro,

Sounds like you're in for a tough session tomoro. But could be a good train'ing partner.

I am well pleased this morning.

16.2m at 7:12's bagged and knee was nee bother, couldn't even feel it. Last few were even at Sub3 pace.:~) It was a great morning for running but bl00dy freezing.

Happy plodding folks.
  • Options
    a quick Google of 100k times has shown me that I will clearly be out of my depth tomorrow!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    20 today - and foot feels ok in new scoobies, and after a bit of self massage for a few days.

9M out in 7:30 pace - absolute dawdle too - it then dawned on me that i'd done 5.5 miles South and 3.5 West , and then had a North Easterly for the return trip. And then 2 more to make up the 20.

Anyway 10 in 75, followed by 10 in 71 (there were a couple of 8 min miles in that 71 too). Most of the 71 was into the wind too.

Read my new Total Immersion book from cover to cover last night, I'm a "Popov-esque Clipper-Ship of a Skating swimmer" in waiting.

Beer - Yum. I never diet or abstain from anything - just keep the food intake clean most of the time, but then I am a lean mean machine of a calorie burner.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Coro - I wikipedia´d 100km times and yeah, 7.00 is rather quite fast!

Just resting today.  May loosen up later in prep for an 8km race tomo in a very tiny town.

Gobi - Good luck, I read the Draycote thread earlier and it all seems very involved!

• Options
    21 done at 7:06 av pace which with the undulations was fine. V chilly though.

Good luck Gobi at Draycote and anyone else racing this weekend.
  • Options

Gorgeous weather for running today.  Second track session of the week for me (I've decided it's time to up the speed work).  Just 6x1km with 60s jog recoveries: 3:30, 3:31, 3:31, 3:31, 3:34, 3:34.  Felt quite comfortable, just got a bit lazy on the last couple.

I last did this session three months ago, when the average rep time was 3:35 for av. hr of 183.  This time 3:31 for av. hr of 173.  Definite progress then! 

22 miles planned for tomorrow.  Hope the weather stays nice.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Aye, I can agree that it was lovely out running this morning. Touch chilly at 9:45 as I headed out but quickly warmed up to a lovely temp. Did 22.9 @ 7.03 ave with the last 4 at or quicker than PMP, which was pleasing. Yesterdays rest day made a huge difference, my legs felt bouncy again and didn't ache!
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Done the L(V)SR - the group I was with ran 20M at 8:50s. I did a fair bit of doubling back, so probably about 21M at 8:30s (ish). That made nearly 3 hours, which is the longest time I've run for in one go for a couple of years.

Hoping legs are in a reasonable state tomorrow for the final league XC race.

Good luck Gobi!

• Options

Padams - you'll be flying tomorrow after that "active" rest!

EdB - see your a lot more sensible wrt speedwork than my Nov/Dec approach - doing the reps well within yourself instead of killing yourself and wondering why you're training's suffering.   A heads-up on the Asic DST13s, I noticed the toe area is much tigher than the 11s - almost felt like 0.5 size smaller but they're definately the same size.  Just be wary of that if you do decide to go for them.

Got my 10k road race tomorrow, with 102 miles in the last 7 days I'm not exactly going to be fresh as a daisy...  but no excuses I'm still demanding a good PB from meself as my current 10k time is relatively weak.

• Options

Gatorade – thanks for the comment, but afraid you have confused me.  I though a positive split is when you run the second half slower than the first (with negative splits being the opposite).  At Amsterdam I negative split (albeit only by 15 seconds).  However I think I will be pushing myself a lot more at Reading, so it could get messy.

RB – trainers have arrived…thanks very much.

Can echo the comments on it being great running weather today…so no problem with motivation, 21 miles @ 7.10 mm completed (and Richmond Park was a very nice place to be)

• Options
    gatorade - good luck with tomorrow's 10k
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Go Gator, nice to see another man with the miles in his legs going for it.

Coro, HE IS GOOD :¬)

Cold ok but still there, legs niggly and guts rotten, IE. PERFECT for a solid run tomorrow :¬)
  • Options

gatorade - I like to run rep sessions with a specific purpose in mind, not just to run them flat out.  Today the aim was to run a few kms at around 'target' 10km pace (i.e. around a minute or so quicker than current 10km pace), and keep the recoveries short to make the overall session just above lactate threshold.

On Tuesday the club session is 10x400 + 10x200 so that will be more of a 3km pace / VO2max sort of thing.

Thanks for the info on the DST.  I'm pretty pleased with the NZE4 so will probably be sticking with them.  Good luck with the 10km, let us know how you get on.

• Options

23.49 mile today on the bike quickly beore sun set... 18.49mph average, pretty chuffed with that, worked decent most fothe time, then got on a perfect nice flat bit of road and did a 2:32 mile image

Good luck everyone for tomorrow, I wanna hear some awesome stories and hear awesome times image

Pug image

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Knocked out just over 20 (ran 17m with JAP) this morning in 2.22 (1st 10 in 73 and last in 69) and is was a nice crisp day for it.  Normally do my long run on Sundays so it made a change.  Think I'll go for an hour 2moro morning. 

• Options

JH1 Nice run that, nice and brisk without being too brisk that you can't run the next day... nice one... especially the 2nd half which is showing some good stamina. What you going for, you doing FLM?

Official weigh in today as well...

Date        Kilos
    01/01/08 87
    19/01/08 85.6
    20/01/08 85
    31/01/08 82
    01/02/08 81.8
    02/02/08 81.5
    03/02/08 81.1
    04/02/08 80.5
    05/02/08 80.2
    09/02/08 80.2
    16/02/08 79.2

Pug image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice weight loss and pedalling Pug,

Keep that chin up - and no racing until you're properly fit - I'm still on 2 races in 15 months !