Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the colds are clearing.

I catch myself "bricking it" every now and then ! I ache all over and am seizing up with the lack of exercise - my body is getting ready for one hell of a beasting.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Sadly I fear that my bug is not clearing - if anything it's getting worse. Cold symptoms have pretty much gone, I just feel carp and have no energy.  If the marathon was today, I couldn't walk it, let alone run it. Right now I'd give myself a less than 25% chance of even making the start line tomorrow.

I'm really quite depressed about the whole thing.

Here's hoping for a miracle -24 hours to go!

• Options

MTR

Feel for you mate.

• Options

Gutted for ya MtR.

I'm having a rest day at work today.  With Mrs M inviting some people around she wants me to move all my crap and tidy up.  I felt I would get more of a rest by working and sitting on my @rse all day.  Might stop off at WR HQ on the way home and play with the speed settings, I think they are all saving themselves for tomorrowimage

• Options

MTR - 24hrs is a long time in terms of bugs.

My training is complete with a killer 15min session which included 4 bursts at close to, or even exceeding MP.  Looking forward to my first day off from running since Jan 2007.

• Options

Are you sure you want to introduce something new BEJ? Sounds a little risky...

Anyone know why I've had a calf cramp the last 2 mornings? Nothing too serious and goes away pretty quick but it's just if I shorten (ie toes pointing down) the calf it can trigger it. Maybe due to doing less exercise so muscles are a bit tighter? Just worried it might turn into something ugly tomorrow.  Maybe salt will help, other suggestions (Dull the cramp king)?

Prep is underway. Most of my kit ready, still need to stream line the head, haven't done the toe nails yet (Thursday was the day for that I recall), wide mouth bottle ready, and I would love to know how to time a 6.30am magoo for tomorrow (that would be a great start to the day - too much detail but hey, 1 more day of madness). All these carbs are getting to me and I feel too energetic, have to keep a lid on it though...

• Options
    I've also come down with a cold.  I've had a bit of a sore throat all week but it looked like it wasn't going to develop into anything.  Started feeling a bit rough yesterday and feel worse today, despite 12 hours sleep.  Also hoping for a miracle.
  • Options
    MtR - sorry to hear that mate. Certainly does not sound too good, but if your cold has gone maybe there's some hope. Good luck on the miracle cure arriving in time.

I called my hotel last night to confirm my online booking and guess what - no booking!! It's sorted now, the cost is an extra 20 quid and a very restless nights sleep.

I see the WR crew are giving that mill some stick.

• Options

Marders - I got calf cramp on Wednesday night.  Put it down to lack of exercise - had me worried as it was tight on Thurday but seems ok now.

Just for the nerves, stepped outside my flat to see the blue line people have been busy...

http://s3.tinypic.com/2u4oao5.jpg

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

OK - stupid head on now. There is no way I can sit at home and miss this one. So I will make it to the start line. If I feel better then I'll run at 7mm pace for a bit and then gradually crank it up for a 2:59:xx finish. And if I feel really rough then I'll jog round really slowly.

I am feeling better than I did 2 hours ago, but then I am lying down on the sofa.

• Options
    hope you feel better soon MTR could always join me at stratford in a few weeks, but fingers crossed you'll be alright for tomorrow

Mariokart seems very good marigold, you may have to venture to electrical shop and get a cheap tv! My eldest keeps saying NICE a lot which either means he's been reading this thread or Gobi is down with the kids

TR I never thought you'd be nervous, do the training justice tomorrow
  • Options

mmm, blue line(s). I got me some blue line action this morning at Canary Wharf, at least we won't get lost this time...

Good for you MtR. Take it easy until tomorrow and I'm sure you'll do the sensible thing tomorrow given that you have one of them HRM thingees that tells you when to ease off.  Hope yoours doesn't progress either EdB.

Bit worried that my watch can only handle 1 split, which one should I take?

Someone was talking about recording the finish from BBC interactive, I'd be keen to get hold of a copy if possible (and of the normal coverage also) so if anyone out there has one of these bleeding edge boxes that does all that recording and can burn or somehow get me a copy, I'd be a very happy chappy. Have been looking at getting a HD recorder this week but it's all too hard an didn't have enough time...

• Options

Wishing everyone a good run tomorrowimageimage

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    marders - I have one of those 'bleeding edge boxes', but I can't find which BBC interactive channel (301, 302 or 303) will be used for the finish line. Anyone know? Assuming I can record the correct channel, I can send you a DVD.
  • Options
    Anybody still around who is seeking a little inspiration... something for you.
  • Options

marders - Take the split at mile 26, then you can work out how fast your sprint finish was.  You get 5km splits from the chip timing.

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Coronium: Not much help, but last year, I recorded 301 which I found out later was used for coverage of the women's race.  I've guessed that it'll be the same this year, and that 302 will be the men's race.  So I'm recording 303 hoping that will be the finish line footage.  I don't think the BBC publish specific interactive channel schedules - the deceit is that these are 'interactive' rather than 3 additional part-time channels.
  • Options
    Coro/Njord - so there are only 3 possibilities - we just need 3 people to record 1 channel each.  I will talk to NtS later if I see him about organising a sub 3 fred attempt at recording 3 BBC channels in the hope that one of them has DFC cartwheeling over the finish line.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Almost put my foot through the TV this morning following the "sports" news.  How embarrassing is the BBC.  World class distance race featuring many of the world's finest endurance athletes, and the only mention of the marathon is some 101 year-old-bloke (Dull's brother???) and some stupid bint doing it on stilts. 

No wonder GB struggles at the top end when there is no interest in the competitive side.

Right, rant over.  Channel that energy etc etc...

Got a bit of a sore throat, but not going to complain when others are feeling worse.  Hope it all goes well for all of you. COME ON!!!

28901 - on green, dressed like  this

• Options

EdB - there's no 26M marker though - I presume to disguise the fact that the significant SCCF is added from 25 to the end..

Marders - I'll try to record on HD recorder (recording the main race coverage) but not sure on how to get it to DVD or similar.  As for splits, I'd advise you take the fastest one.

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

ok, the Coro household will record BBC1 09:00 to 12:00 and then 303 from 12:00 to 16:00.

• Options

weather has improved since this morning, although it had declined from yesterday so it's about where it was (maybe 1mph stronger but who's counting)...

sounds like we should be able to get all coverage bases covered, excellent.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    MtR - sorry to hear that. It sounds like you're how I was yesterday morning, however that's not too bad, as today I feel much much better. I think the nature of this cold is that once I'm up a few hours I feel even better again (as you remarked), so keep the faith and keep the lemsip and grapefruit coming, you'll be flying come tomorrow morning image I have the same logic though. I'll be there come hell or high water.

EdB - As above, lemsip and grapefruits and fingers crossed. I've had this one for quite a while and it took 4-5 days before it got really bad, so you should be ok still for tomorrow.

DanA - fingers crossed it doesn't develop.

As per above, I'm feeling much better than yesterday. Still not 100%, but should be ok to give it a good welly tomorrow. The acid test remains how I feel when I run, so off now for a little jogette to test the waters. Plan remains the same either way though, set off at 6:15m/m and see how it goes. I'm not about to lie down for a piddling cold! Shit or bust!

Where's the bloody cloud cover gone for tomorrow, I just shaved my head last night. Typical.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT/MTR/EdB - keep the grapefruits coming.

Hope you all feel ok and can do the training justice. I think head colds will clear as you get a sweat up - but if you've gotthe shivers then you'll have to see how it goes.

WTGYNervous...me ? At times yes. In my calmer moments I remember 20M at MMH20 at 6:30 per and then realise that the Tergat is now 6:40 per tapered and then I calm down.
    I guess I get nervous cos this is my first one - and I don't know how it will affect me.

I've also got the slight worry about getting to London and finding the start in time - but if thats going wrong then I'm bailing out of the car and letting my wife sort that out.

I get cramp at times too - real bad swimming sometimes. I'll have some salty crisps later - and have had some marmite on toast.

Sports drinks are good idea too - I've just drank the powerade - but I'm saving the (wider- necked bottle for the pen.
  • Options
    TT - great to hear you are feeling a little better.

It seems that loads of folks have sore throats and bad heeds!! Hope that all disappear tomorrow.

Well picked my number up (pen1) and experience the expo - wow typical exhibition.

Vomero3 looked pretty good, but I'll wait a while to get them.
    Garmin 405 too, but can't justify one of those!!!

Weather looking ok for tomorrow :~)
  • Options
    Just popping on to wish all the runners tomorrow the very best for the race. I hope all your expectations are realised.

Special mention to Blisters, as I ran Dartmoor Vale and Gloucester with him.

Sounds like you could possibly do it this year. If you and Wardi both manage the sub 3 then I think I'm the only one on here, who has tried for so long and never managed it.

A bit embarrassing really!

If it happens I'll be pulling out all the stops for Abingdon. See you there?

Dull
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yup, a quick good luck to everyone racing tomorrow from me as well. 

Watching a treadmill world record attempt was ... interesting but it was nice to put some more names to faces.  I'm knackered and I just had to get there for 3am and do very little so big respect to the guys (and gal, although I won't meet Rach until the final stint tomorrow morning).

Dull: Legs permitting I'm up for a sub-3 at Abingdon!

• Options
    just got word from Mrs M that there is a big 16 mile marker being erected outside our place... trouble is, every single map I have seen of the course has our place smack in the middle of 16 and 17... I might take 3 mins off my predicted time if we are half a mile short!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PS: plan to be watching at about mile 13 (tower bridge) and mile 24/25 on Embankment, but may not get to TB early enough to see the super-speedy types go through.  I've got to fit my own run in after I get back from Lillywhite's!
  • Options

Hi chaps.  Anyone still around I hope you get out what you've put in tomorrow.

It's your chance to tell your grandkids that you beat 9World Record Holders in one race.

As you were.