Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

WTGY, Good effort on the 11 miler. Don't worry about the pace, it was 4 weeks before I could run "fast" again.

Yes, the 10miler was novel. The first time I have raced to beat people instead of racing against the watch. First half 33 mins. Started to go thru the gears at about 4 miles, did the 2nd half in 31:30, with some big hills!
    Beat the 2 guys who were in front of me in the series fairly comfortably.
    They had beat me in the first race (10k) when I was still recovering from the mara.

Just been out at Gobi o'clock, done 16 at 7:25 pace (HRav 136 - 73%). Middle 7 at about 6:50 pace.

Some coaching this morning, then watch the 1st team this aft. Hope the weather holds, it's a bit gloomy at the mo. 

• Options
    Morning all,

Brian - sounds like you are in good shape.

A similar effort for me this morn. Just got back home before the rain.

15m at 7:30's just kept it steady all the way (75%maxHR). I've had a sore throat for a couple of days, so didn't feel 100%.

Off out with kids now and may watch footie later today.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all and thank you, nice running Marmite and Brian.

I have a spot of club coaching this morning and then off to Wales

Will I be online ?? Probably

Laters everyone.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Marigold
    A few seconds are nothing to fret about.

Brian
    Nice running - hope the weather holds.

Just done 10M, 5 out in 33:53 (av 6:47), 5 back in 32:01 (av 6:24 - although the last 3 were lots quicker than miles 6 + 7).

HArdest I've pushed since FLM, still got a tight hamstring though. I've trained hard this week, but only done 3 runs. Next week I have cricket matches on 3 evenings too.

Right, the SPO is off to London for the moonwalk in a mo, so I'm letting the kids pick a first goal-scorer and a correct score to keep their interest up.
    POmpey 1-0 has been right in most rounds so far. Diarra to be MoM, and I hope than Mendes or Davis plays instead of one of the enforcers.

Just seen a right old convoy of blue and whit heading north out of town.

I'm off to make a boat for the Infant School sailing regatta - out of a milk container, some garden canes, and a plastic bag sail.

• Options

TR - just to settle a house argument, would the 1st `a' in regatta be a long or short vowel? (In the south obviously).

Marigold and Brian - well done on your times.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

BR,

As a Berkshire lass born and bred (!) I would say it's short.

5 miles on treddie last night.  Outside of leg/tendon still a bit sore from the sprain, so taking today as a rest day unless I get out of work early enough for an easy gym session.  Looks like I'll probably skip Monday's 10k, although I'll try another run on Sunday with some strides to test it before taking a final decision.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    In my house its regg-at-ter, we also have a barth instead of a b-at-h and would catch a b-u-ss instead ot a b-oo-s.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    BTW I know this isn't want the fella was asking for, but its been cracking me up for days
  • Options

Hail Hail

Good luck to all the racers today.  And a special good luck to TR.  Hopefully will be watching as Mrs RB does a power of baking.

Binned the planned plod (was only going to be done out of OCD and weight control anyway) cos we've got the wee mans First Communion tomorrow, and with about 60 coming back to the house after, I've got a LOT of cucumber sandwiches to make!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    RB
    get that kitchen knife moving then.

Both nippers have backed Pomey to win 1-0, they've also picked Kanu and Krancjar to be the first (and hopefully for them, the only) goalscorer.
  • Options

Have your nippers got a hot-line to Dan A or something TR? Bet they're nervous now...

15m progressive long run for me today. First 5m at 7.25s, 2nd at 7.05s and third at 6.40s. Felt very good which is surprising as I've felt a bit flat on some runs this week.

Best of luck to Gobi, TR and anyone else racing tmrw.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    NtS
    They're in the money now (my little lad picked the winner in the National too).

Best team won. Playing Mendes freed up Diarra, and the physiques can hang on to 1-0 all day.
    Every time Pompey have taken the lead this season they have won (usually 1-0).
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Congrats TR. Didn't watch the game but saw the end - the commentators had a bit of a laugh when Kanu got the MoM award! From what I saw someone in the defence should have got it.

Bushey Park 5k this morning. Completely surprised myself with a 15:31 (30s PB). Took the lead after about half a mile and was on my own from then on. Had a fair bit left in the tank as well - I think if I'd had someone to race I could have done the last k at least 10s quicker. Really am very shocked as I haven't done much speedwork since treadmill/FLM weekend and the pace didn't feel too hard - probably couldn't have maintained it for 10k but maybe to 8k. It was perfect running conditions this morning, although the course is half on grass and half on dirt trails, so that's got to be worth a bit on the Pugometer.

Gobi - good luck tomorrow. You can give me the full report next weekend!

• Options
    Stunning PB Padams, congratulations.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Congratulations TR and TR nipper, overall the better team did win. Love seeing Kanu pay, just so nimble. We looked a bit blunt up front. Still did enjoy it and thought Katherine Jenkins definetly won the lesser spotted competition. Natue watch: buzzard and maybe a sparrowhawk no bluebirds.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    GR - You'll nail it alright....with good conditions I think you'll smash that 250 barrier.

TT - Think I was a bit optimistic about how long it would take to heal. Jonah8 experiences have proven spot on, it can take a long time to heal, average 6 months for this injury. So hopefully only 2 more months and then slowly get back into it and target FLM09 for next marathon - jeez that seems a long time away.
  • Options
    Magic Padams. The 48 hours on the dreadmill seems to have benefitted all who took part. Should give you the confidence to shoot for a sub 2.25 at Edinburgh. Wouldn't be surprised if you get closer to 2.20. I think NeilK will be well behind you by the end.

I'm just bagging the miles at the moment 95 for this week disrupted by having to race a 1500m on Monday. Then again who cares what I'm doing, the rate of improvement from almost all on here (except me) is truly remarkable.

Might use the age excuse.

Dull
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO
    Katherine Jenkins is defo a better lesser spotted then Lesley Garrett, but Lesley Garrett had a better place for keeping her pencils.

Cardiff had a good go, and better teams than them have failed to score against the physiques this season.

Dull
    You skipping yet ? No stone un-turned and all that.
  • Options
    Well done Padams - excellent time.
  • Options

My favourite lesser spotted is sat right next to meimage

So who cares if I couldn't manage 8 x 400 @ 75 secs off 40 secs jog rec this morning?

Actually serious question - does anyone notice a difference in pace between doing reps on a tartan track and on grass.  We went to a decent grass track this morning but I was wondering if I should have taken account of the surface.

• Options

Hail Hail

Lend us a fiver TR Jnr?

Fantastic stuff Padams.  Got to be thinking sub 2.22 as a minimum.  Just think - you're Team Tergat 222 all by yourself!!

Our house has never looked so spik 'n' span.  Wallet over £200 lighter thanks to Mr Asda, and thats NOT including the booze!  Got wine delivered off t'internet for a VERY good price.  Just got to butter the bread now.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Congrats TR. I hope you've got that little fella of yours to go pick out the lotto numbers with a record like that! Liked that link btw. Made me giggle.

OO - sounds frustrating, but definitely not one to rush back from, so fair play for keeping focused! Ye gave a good account of yourselves today, but Pompey are hard to break down.

Padams - impressive as always. Well done.

A very bad asthma affected day this end put paid to a planned double, so I settled for 3m recovery late afternoon when it started to ease a bit. On the plus side it should mean my legs are a little fresher for tomorrow's 10k if the lungs clear up ok...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams
    More proof that speedwork is over-rated. (Ode take note - you ran on the same treadmill as Padams, and its working for him).

Good work RB - at least that's the kids lunches for the next 3 weeks sorted.

TT
    Hope your lungs recover in time for the 10k. I said to my little lad that perhaps we'll bet on the ManU vs Chelsea match (and I'll copy his bet myself).

The SPO is moonwalking in London, my oldest nipper has a Cricket match at 10am, and then we're going to see Arry parade the cup round southsea.
    So. no chance of any sports until tomorrow evening, when the 2 nippers and the SPO are tucked up in their pits.

BR
    My favourite lesser spotted is sat right next to me - Good for you.
  • Options

Damn - spotted Padams' time too late!  Nice run, and a second quicker than Marders', if I'm not mistaken.

Ran a cruisy-woosey 5000 in 15:34, just 'jogging' / sitting in behind the leader in an attempt to take the easy win to save myself for later exploits.   Respectable 'mile' splits of 5:00, 10:00 and 15:00 with a 34s 'kick', winning the race by about 5s.  In recent weeks when the training and results haven't been happening, I've kept reminding myself that this time last year I still hadn't run within 10 seconds of what I would later split in a 10km race.  Starting to feel like the same is possible - the 10,000m race I ran last year is scheduled for 28/09, but ideally I'd like to find an earlier one - already starting to feel very fit / fast.

I was trying to save something for an ~8M Greenbelt relay leg a couple of hours later.  Navigational issues, head wind and supper-slippy mud (made 10 times worse by my choice of 1000 mile old racers with no grip left) leveled the playing field meaning another guy could keep up with me  - and he spotted the finish first - our sprints were step for step but he was already a couple of m ahead and won by a second or so - both in 44:06-ish.  30s slower than the course record, but the mud had us close to 7 minute miles in places.  It did mean that I got a blue t-shirt rather than a pink (stage winners) one, but my team captain seemed chuffed that I'd pulled 5 mins on the team who were just ahead.

Still a 1 and 2 on the same day ain't bad - and tomorrow morning is the real tester - a 9-10M leg, hopefully on run-able surfaces.

Anyway, haven't eaten since breakfast so best try to create something.

• Options

And there I was thinking my massive PB of 15:43 for my 5k track today would be big news, pop in here and I've been beaten by two other race reports. Well done Padams and BEJ, quality races
    Still well chuffed as I was only hoping for 15:59 at best and the track was slippery and I don't own spikes. It did however only get me 3rd in the "A" string with the two guys in front (along with one "B" string) sticking in a 63 for the last lap - cheeky buggers. Most of my laps were 74's and 75's with a couple of 77's at the end.

I also ran the 3000SC in flats in the rain which was a bit scary. First time I have ever tried to jump a SC hurdle was after the BANG so I took it quite easy with a 10:20. They even had to remove the water jump due to the conditions. Still managed 3rd place for the team and we ended up winning the meet so all turned out nice in the end.Think I might have to buy some spikes.

So not being up on PB etiquette, when asked what my 5k PB is, do I still say 16:34 for my last road race or does a 5000m track count as my 5k PB?

Good luck to all those racing tomorrow,

• Options
    BR - I was discussing the same question on club night when we were doing 400's on grass. General opinion was it was worth at least a second or 2 per lap.
  • Options

Marigold - top 5000m result.  From my experience one can take 20 - 30 seconds off the first time as the season progresses.  What's with the conditions affecting the 3000m hurdles?  Were they worried you'd get too wet or was there a technical problem (if the later, hope they don't fix it by the time I race there!)?  Looks like I made the right choice heading to Norwich - drove through the worst of the weather on the way there.  It was clear, cool but quite pretty for both race(s).

BR - I wouldn't even try to match 'track speed' on a grass circuit and would work by effort instead.  The exact time it's 'worth' probably depends on the type of runner (technique, footstrike, regular training surfaces etc) - there are some I could think of who could probably run the same (or maybe even faster) on grass - the type who always do well in XC.  There's an old cinder track in a local park with the cinder removed.  Whenever I run on it I seem to run 80s per lap, regardless of effort.

About to set off to sunny Dartford for the weekend's next exciting installment...  The slow, muddy surfaces of last night's leg seem to have done me a favour, saving my legs from getting trashed.  Looks like today's route one is about 75% road, 15% tow path and the rest crossing fields / meadows...  Navigational issues are likely to be my amongst main issues, but it looks hard to go wrong from 6.8M to the finish.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Good racing Marigold. Respect for having a go at SC, not sure I ever want to try that! I think your 5k PB is 16:34 but your 5000 PB is 15:43, at least that's how athleticsdata records them.

BEJ - sorry for not informing you of my time earlier, I imagine you would have run 4 secs quicker if you'd known! Well done in the Green Belt after that, even if you did run the 5k easy it would have taken a bit out of you.

Right, time for the last "long" run - 11-12M easy, maybe with a couple of slightly faster miles at the end.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice work folks, take it easy Padams don't spoil that cake. I'm expecting great things from you next Sunday.

I'm off to Southsea for an U11's cricket match. The SPO sent me a text saying that she froze her t*ts off at the moonwalk - I thought that had already happened.
  • Options

Looks like a 15.xx 5k is the new standard on here.  Well done BEJ and Marigold.  Re. grass, yes I think I could have managed them had I given myself a 2 sec leeway.

Next week's dilemma is to either run a local flat 10k which I won 2 years ago (7pm) or attend the historic football match at Wembley (3pm) on Saturday.