Options

Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I think i've got a taste for it now only used 3 of my seven gels!
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Hello all!

WEll that was fab wasnt it?!

Superb organisation I thought...I realyl couldnt fault anything...with the exception of heaps of supporters making it rather difficult to get out of the finishing enclosure and collapse in a heap on the grass somewhere!

I managed to get a PB which was a bit of a surprise, but having had a good winters training it is kond of understandable...just 33 seconds outside 3h30m.... so about a minute quicker than Abingdon last year.

Thanks to CumbriAndy mainly as I ran with him for about 12 miles or so i think...and sort of felt 'ooh this feels quick...but its ok'..then at 13 my watch was 1.45 (i hadnt really been paying much attention) and I thought ooh blimey...lets see how it goes!

Fab day and a credit to all involved with organising it!
  • Options
    There were quite a few photographers around the course - anyone seen any piccies?
  • Options
    Hot and Sweaty - you were only just behind me then - I scraped in just under 5.20 with 5.19.16. Still like KMC though.

Thanks to CA? All I could think of going uphill was 'he must have some bliddy big highlighters on his desk' but I forogt to say that to him at the end.
  • Options
    Oh, and stairs at work, of which there are quite a few, are best done quickly. Up is much better than down.
  • Options
    Cheers Nick - good to see you too. You know that 'feels a bit quick' comment - In my case, it was really - I went fine to about eighteen miles, then started to struggle and blew up big time on that climb out of Bowness - still managed 3:47 overall which is only a couple of muinutes outside the target so I'm not complaining.

<Makes not to get at least one more long run, closer to the race day, in before the next one>

Glad to hear others enjoyed themselves - great to meet up with friends ,old&new, and feeling OK today.

SW - I'll try and remember to bring a highlighter to Garburn for you!
  • Options
    Oh, and another thought - did anybody else feel ridiculously smug sat in their car and realising that it took twice as long to drive from the finish to Waterhead than it had to run the opposite way during the race?

Or is it only me who's that sad?
  • Options
    really enjoyed the drive home, all i could think about as drove through waterhead was the blueberry scones that were on the special board outside, but did feel rather smug realising what we had all just achieved!

CA - Them highliters must not be the short stubby types, or have you a very small desk!!
  • Options
    What a day!! 1st marathon...wanted to beat 4hrs and made it in at 3.42..feeling very happy and very retired!! Can't see another marathon beating that..amazing scenery, which I did manage to enjoy, great support from everyone, superb to have my 2 daughters and girlfriend there to share the experience with, great organisation, met lot's of fellow runners and helped each other along. Only waste...buying that ipod....atmosphere just too good to miss, had it on for the first mile..switched it off for the next 18 and handed it over to kids at that start of that rotten climb out of Bowness!!
  • Options
    Does anybody know where a full list of results can be found? ie showing everyone who ran. Also were there t-shirts? I forgot about it as I didn`t see any.
    Also any cure for stiff legs...he, he!
    SM
  • Options
    Wonderful day - 1st Marathon , actually prefered this to last weeks flat half marathon . Was it a slow pace or a hard race with only 7 people coming in before 3 hours ? I think Langdale beckons ....
  • Options
    Cheers Kev Scone , Langdale it is then !Any other hilly ones coming up in the North ?
  • Options
    Cheers Kev Scone , Langdale it is then !Any other hilly ones coming up in the North ?
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    REsults are on Raceahead.net

As for tshirts - they were printed to order, so unless you specified one you wouldnt have been given one....i thought they looked a bit ghastly actually!

...and Floorman....Langdale makes this look pretty easy...especially if you go for the full!

Andy - yes i did think about how slow the drive was to get to the lights in Ambleside...although i dont know if i could have run it quicker by that stage! Still i kept myself busy by cheering the few people coming in...whcih made them smile
  • Options
    boing boing boing

What a great race!!!!
  • Options
    Great race eh, tougher than I expected in the 2nd half. Managed to run every hill which was a surpise right up until that last 200m to the finish. I was expecting to go in the same way we drove in.

Ouch!!!!

Thanks to the announcer for giving me a shout as i came over the line and saying that I hadn't done as well as the ladies from my club, course not they're all 8 stone lighter.

They did do well though, they got a 1st and 2nd ladies plus subject to an enquiry due to a mess up with the results came 2nd team overall.

Look forward to next year.

Thanks to all the organisers and supporters.

Stu

• Options
    Here's a link to some photos my better half took yesterday. Have a look you might be on them. http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
    Feel free to print any off.

What a fantastic day. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the course was brilliant. I'm chuffed to bits today, if a little bit sore.

Floorman; the langdale half is a very good race, friendly crowd and big hills. You have to be a bit masochistic to do the marathon though. Last year most people ran the half so there were few runners doing the marathon. I guess it could get a bit lonely on the second lap thats all.

http://42tops.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    How fab was that ! Hats off to Scott & Brathay fabulous organisation ! weather specially ordered for us as well......couldn't ask for more !

The crowd & commentator at the finish were incredible they made me feel like a winner, I don't know about anyone else.

Really sorry not to make the meet up at the start as I was trying to find my support crew (friend + baby) who had driven up yesterday morning to cheer me on !
    Lovely to chat to so many people around the course ......
    @ Invisible Man my finish time was also 4.22 - so we must have been within sight of each other, however as you're 'invisible' I guess thats why I didn't see you !( I had also hoped for a 4hr time but like you those last hills played havoc with my knees & hips).

Felt v.stiff this am on getting up but am now loosening up nicely. Managed to get up and downstairs carrying the full laundry basket without incident, ah the delights of the run fade as the duties left behind need attending to.
    PS lovely to get the text so quickly with the results as well.

Once again a great big thank you for a wonderful event and lets hope it can become a regular marathon to enter in future.
  • Options
    not wanting to go off topic on this thread but...just checked your blog, where in Cumbria are you and when are you planning your BG? This year or next?
  • Options
    That was to Iain Kelly btw!
  • Options
    Slowboy, i'm based in penrith. I'm planning the BG for june/july next year all being well. I'm keen to get out with as many folk having a go at it this year, to help with support, pacers etc.
  • Options
    Looks like photos will be on marathon-photos.com, although they are not there yet. You have to search on 'Brathay' not windermere.
  • Options
    Damn, can't send a PM on this forum... that's about as daft as not being able to edit posts.

Iain, I'll post a comment against your Blog.
  • Options
    Cheers Slowboy. Where in cumbria are you based?
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Iain...i would like to do BG too - i was reccying some of it a few weeks back...but being based in Glos the logisitics are a bit of a pain!

I walked it about 5 years ago with a friend and we camped etc over several days.

Actaully while I was up there a few weeks back there was a chap on an attempt which I think was successful...if it was the one i read on the fell running forums
  • Options
    Iain.....Torpenhow. Near Wigton. So, not too far from you. I'm kind of idly and quietly contemplating having a crack at it next year. I've supported on a couple of attempts, and have a few friends who have done it (and some more who are doing it this year, particularly an all female relay attempt). So, I'd be up for joining you for recces/training etc if you're ever stuck for a running partner.

And hopefully I can scare my self out of it.... ;)
  • Options
    Slowboy (or Stuart as your PB times are far from slow). Definitely keen to get out with you on training runs/recces. That'll be sound. I tend to do a lot of my runs up north lakes area so we could meet up half way or whatever is easy. If you need extra feet to help with the BG this year let me know. I think i need a bit of scaring too. Might be a week or so before i put the fell shoes on again though. You should be able to email me through my blog. 42tops
    Nick i saw your posts a while back. How's your training going? From what i read you had a stamina busting week in the lakes. Think i might have seen you around 24-25 miles yesterday. If you need a running/reccying partner up here just drop me a mail or comment on my blog.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    I just checked your blog iain and doubt you saw me as you came in 5 mins before me!

The weeks training was good and prob gave me the edge to get a PB yesterday...Have a few events planned of longer distance which will help...but it is the reccying that will be the key.

If i am up in the lakes again in the not too distant furure then I will give you a shout...as I dont plan to think about it until next year...along with possible comrades.....possible!