Options

Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Options
    My hips are slowly beginning to work properly again but I was glad I wasn't working today. Had to go back to bed this afternoon after sleeping very badly last night. Whenever I moved, something hurt and I found it hard to switch off and not keep thinking about the day.

Does anyone else have that problem and is there a non-alcoholic cure? I couldn't have faced a pint despite the Jennings beer tent.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    IM - no you are not alone!

SOre thighs kept me tossing and turning!

I would ahve loved a pint but think that it might have sent me to sleep on the M6 wwhich isnt a great idea...plus that drink driving thing!

I just take a couple of ibuprofen too...as it is a muscle relaxant - painkillers and booze...great combination! Kind of like alcohol and night swimming!
  • Options
    Huge congratulations to all of you and so glad we got the weather to order! I was on the finish line helping the announcer, sorry if we didn't get everybody's names but when runners finished in clusters we didn't have the time. It was absolutely brilliant watching the finishers and the general atmosphere was great for those of us who weren't running...

It seemed virtually everybody had a good race and with the spectators enjoying the weather I'm told the beer tent ran out of beer and the kitchen out of food before everybody went home.

We hope to have more photos & race report on the Brathay website tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well done to the organisers for a great race. not too stiff managed work ok only sore bit was my upper arm for some reason. Was more hilly than i thought it would be but still managed a pb so not complaining
  • Options
    And one last word.
    The band were brilliant...well done guys it really fired me up!
    SM
    signing off ...see you all on the next one
    :0)
  • Options
    Well, I didn't enjoy that much, but that's not the race's fault. Great course, great scenery, well organised. Not sure what went wrong, but it was too much for me. Maybe I need more than a 3 week gap between marathons? Ended up walking from about 19 miles, did 4:45 (my slowest marathon by an hour and a quarter). Still, the post-mortem will go on, and it was still a good day. Absolutely no more marathons til October!

I have no idea how those of you who did the double managed it, you are all supermen and wonder-women!
  • Options
    Fully agree MP my thought's exactly the DDers must be super fit !

the 10 in 10'rs are ultra fit (or mad)record breakers !!! Fantastic achievements by all !!!

Like you my next marathon will be in the Autumn just not sure which.....more than likely a 'flat' one this time.......
  • Options
    A 46 minute 7 second pb :)

Thanks to the Trailwalker team for letting me join them at the start. I lost them at 8 miles. But since they were going at sub 10K pace for me it wasn't really surprising. My knees couldn't cope with their pace on the downhills and it was taking too much of the uphills to catch back up again.

Can't really walk today today, and anything with a gradient is definately out.

Well done to the organisers.
  • Options
    What a wonderful race :o)

Beautiful scenery, fantastic organisation, everything as smooth as can be, even the weather obliged. A remarkable amount of support round the course too, even for us back-markers.

As a run/walk marathon, it was far better than White Peak because the undulations kept it interesting. We did 5.05.02 comfortably and it's definitely on my come-back-and-race-it-properly-sometime list.

If the History of Brathay book had had a little stamped message inside saying that it was a marathon memento, the ones that came into the Cavern might not have left in the recycling bag.
  • Options
    Well I went and picked this as my first marathon!!!
    If that was undulating, can anyone tell me what a HILLY marathon is?? So I make sure I avoid it!!
    Great fun tho, well organised with a great atmosphere. Would def do again, despite the HILLS (sorry undulations)!!
    Managed 3.53, would of liked a free t shirt instead of slate momento tho.
    Hope it does get run again next year!
  • Options
    Superb race, loved every minute of it :-)

I *so* hope they do it again, the course was lovely, the organisation impressive, and the atmosphere and support great.

I just dipped under 3:55, so less than 2 minutes slower than the day before at White Peak, and on a harder course too. I was on for another 3:53 until that hill right at the very end up the drive, how cruel was that LOL!

2 sub 4s in 2 days. Super fit? Nah, just super mad :-)
  • Options
    boing boing boing weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    Race Report is now on the website with links to the results and photos
  • Options
    Wow, that was fab!!! Thank you loads to the brilliant organisers and marshals!! Was my first marathon and came in just under 6 hrs, v pleased with that! Those hills really just kept coming at you! Hello to the lady who had come up from Devon who I was chatting to at the start, hope you had a good run! Was brilliant to have so many people cheering, what a difference it makes, all those 'come on pet' really helped with hills! A massive thank you to those who were queing in their cars towards Waterside and who cheered me on, it really helped, and what a great finish, couldn't believe people were still there and cheering, felt like I had won, what an incredible feeling!!!! Was just coming around the corner at Brathay Hall and someone mentioned if I got a move on I would make it under 6 hours, and I did! Suspect this won't be my last, at least I have a pb to work at now. Couldn't believe how good the weather was too, that bit of hail got me worried the day before! Well done to all those people with mad fast times, you northerners must be made of rock or something!
  • Options
    Hello spanner, lady (thanks for that!) from Devon here, I too had the most fantastic time - still on a high and its Tuesday now! I also came in just under 6 hrs and am sooooo chuffed, in fact DaveA summs it up just perfect! The organisation, support and crowds were just awesome, felt like a champion, even though was down to a slow shuffle by the end! Definitely doing it again! Well done to all, so proud to be a part of this and of you all! Going all mushy now...
  • Options
    Hello Marathon Maiden!
    Glad you had a good race, wasn't it just brilliant!! Enjoyed it so much more than I possibly thought I could enjoy running (ish!) that distance!
  • Options
    Hi all,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet more of you. Great event, did better than I expected (5-15) as I 'don't do hills'! Would like to have seen a bit more of the lake but I was slow enough to be able to turn round and see some of the great views.

Didn't my 4 chums in the 10 in 10 do well. We had a great time with them sitting in the sunshine drinking the beer tent dry afterwards.

Well done to Scott & co for putting on such a splendid event.
  • Options
    photos don't seem to be up yet :( and if i remember rightly they are quite expensive on their!
  • Options
    just back from an enjoyable race and 2 fab days in the lakes. Have been spoilt with the weather from start to finish!!

yes - didn't expect that to be as hilly as it turned out to be. I had been advised that there were just 2 steep hills otherwise undulating. However....

despite hitting the wall at 9 miles!!! I really enjoyed my first marathon and so did the family.
  • Options
    KatieS - 2 in 2 days? Amazing. I'm wondering whether to do the Yorkshireman Off-road and Snowdownia which are 7 weeks apart.
  • Options
    Do the Yorkshireman half!!!!
  • Options
    Hi all - as I half expected I didn't finish this one. Pulled out around mile 15. Tried to ease back and walk the hills but in the end the knee just didn't want to do another hill. That said I'm still so glad I did this as the atmosphere, course and organisation were top notch. Thanks to all who offered help and support along the way especially those who actually stopped to offer painkillers etc. Well done everyone.
  • Options
    Hi all. It was good to meet some of you at the start.
    Got round in 4 hours 28mins. which I'm extremely pleased with. It was my first marathon, and if you'd seen me at all in the second half of the race you'd have heard my saying my "Last" marathon as well... although... wouldn't mind having a go at a flat one....

I thought it was very well organised. Only slight critism for the over zealous supporters who were blocking up the path after the finish line... had a bit of a slalom round people to get to the drinks table.

Also thought it was mightily cruel of them to finish it with the uphill bit into the grounds of Brathay :-)

• Options
    It's all gone very quiet, time to move on to another forum?, next serious race is the Cumbrian half in October so I'm off to that one.

Well done everyone and lets hope Scott gives us some good news and organises the Windermere again next year! to give us something to smile about through the winter...
  • Options
    "lets hope Scott gives us some good news and organises the Windermere again next year! to give us something to smile about through the winter..."....here here h&s !!

Might see you there at the GCR , had to drop out of that 5 days before the race last year because of torn achilles so I really want to do it this year !

@ HopAlong........for sure a 'flat' marathon is next on my marathon agenda come Aug/Sept !....if I can find one that is ??
  • Options
    H & S see you there! I've a lot of races between now and then but will be gunning for a PB at that one too!
  • Options
    "lets hope Scott gives us some good news and organises the Windermere again next year! to give us something to smile about through the winter..."

Couldn't agree more but am mildly concerned about the line in Scott's post race email to us all about reviewing the local impact as part of the process. There are a range of active pressure groups and self interested lobbies up here that seem to object on principle to everything that involves anybody enjoying the Lake District by doing something that isn't 'right'. I worry that the traffic impact and litter discarded at the sides of the lanes and into fields will be held up as evidence against us - there was a moan in last week's Westmorland Gazette about litter dropped during the long established Keswick to Barrow charity walk.

I'm going to watch the papers this week closely for feedback but I reckon that it would do no harm if a few people from outside the area made their positive thoughts known. A couple of letters praising the organistion, enthusiastic support and quality of the route and showing how much the local economy benefited (hotel rooms booked, meals eaten, plans to come back with friends in future etc) would help us significantly.

Local paper is the Westmorland Gazette
  • Options
    Apologies - I can't do the link thing but the photos are finally up

www.marathon-photos.com
  • Options
    Boo, not even one of me!!!!
  • Options
    I do hope they run it again.
    Any excuse to go back to the lakes!

Will try and email...