Options

Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Options

Mad-Glad you run went well - the 14 went okay as did this mornings run. I hope the rain holds off we have a party this afternoon.

• Options

Well that was pants. Planned 10 became 5 but what can you expect after a days drinking...

• Options
    I'm new to this page, although not new to running, used to run for my county etc many years ago. ( far more than I care to remember). I'm just coming back from 2 years of no exercise due to my Achilles and plantarus tendon partially rupturing, and continuously tearing, was told at this point I would never be able to run again, gutted!! Eventually my surgeon decided to operate and remove the plantarus tendon whilst doing a small repair & lengthening of the Achilles in the hope this would leave me pain free, with the chance of running again.

Thankfully I now have the all clear to run again, all be it at a slow pace now.

My aim for this year is to get fit again, and to run in a 10k event by Xmas (without undoing the fantastic work if my surgeon). Currently under the guidance/coaching of a good friend that is ex-military, and putting things in my training such as sessions on the rowing machine ( hate these sessions, but, such a sense of achievement once I've finished). I knew I would be unfit following such a long time off, but absolutely determined to get that 10k in the bag
  • Options
    Mykey Mykey tut tut - tis three and a half years since I had that sensation affecting my runningimage (I know - annoying smug g!t) well done on getting out again MWW, hope the weekend was lively for you & family.

Hi Dee, you sound pretty darned determined image you'll fit in well here, look forward to sharing your progress, week done you.

I managed a mobster bike ride - 70 miles over the moors and a small run yesterday but seem to have been relentlessly fatigued since the marathon (April 29) hoping to just snap out of it - still I must be pretty fit once my quads forgive me.

Anyway, at work (until 11) so better crack on. Then 6 DAYS OFF imageimageimage
  • Options

Hi Dee Welcome to Inspire. You sound like you have been through the wars a bit but you have plenty of time to get ready for that 10k. It sounds like you have a good coach.Let us know how you get on with your training

Rest day for me image

• Options
    I will do thanks for the welcome.

Just taking things nice a slowly at the moment to build up to 30 mins running none stop at about 12 min mile pace very slow for me, but do not want to go backwards, speed will come on its own
  • Options
    Sounds like a wise head Dee.

Enjoy the 'rest' Mykey

Cycling abandoned but want to get out and run even though the weather is shocking
  • Options

Hello all

Dee - welcome..sounds like you are taking the sensible approach..well doneimage

Mykey - rest? You will be needing itimage

SF - hope you get out for a run!

I have abandoned ideas of a lunchtime run!

• Options
    Got no other choice really, if I can only ever jog along at 12 minute mile pace so be it, that's 100% more than I was expecting even as short as 6 months ago, just glad to be back in the gym doing something. Only running on a treadmill for the time being, don't want to risk rougher ground till I have some more strength in the calf and tendons. Have to say the rowing machine sessions are having a huge effect on my CV fitness in only 2 weeks!
  • Options

I reckon we should all cross-train Dee but us runners are a single-minded bunch. Having a coach committed to guiding you must be great for making sure you make good but safe progress without the temptation to do too much. Does he get you doing any conditioning work to build the calf/achilles and core work? All stuff we should all do (but in most cases don't!) Anyway, hopefully be cheering your progress image

Will you run tonight, oh Mad one, or is it rest day for you too now?

After a small domestic 'situation' I managed to extricate myself and set off in the pouring rain and howling winds around the coast towards Torquay, managed to get all the way to the harbour then battle the head winds all the way back for a smidge over 10 miles imageimage

I'm pacing my Brother in the Torbay HAlf Marathon in a couple of weeks so was pleased to run  our 'race' pace in those conditions.

Off to Stockport tomorrow to stay with said Brother as we're seeing Coldplay in Manchester on Sunday, hope to run Sat/Sun up there

• Options
    He is brilliant plus a good friend, he is planning to do the 10k with me, although he nearly chocked on his tea when I said I thought 12 minute miling was slow, he seemed to think that's quick! I suggested he upped his training to keep up with me. In fairness to him though he isn't a runner, he is an ex-gymnast/tumbler who just really knows his stuff on health and fitness it's his passion.

Sounds a busy few weeks for you smoke free
  • Options

Good evening folks

Sf-shame about missing the cycle but the run sounds like "fun"

Mad-I hope the weather has improved.

Dee-I normally do a bit of cross training but have signed up for a marathon in Sept so totally focused on running at the mo. Once its over I will return to mixing the training up a bit.

I was expecting to have to run in torrential conditions tonight but it cleared up nicely. Very tired now with a headache (possibly caffeine withdrawal induced) and I can't face food. Still have to stretch but just want to go to sleep. Can somebody tell me why am I doing this?

• Options

great for him to be able to push himself to keep up with you Dee!

I felt like that all week, Mykey, I think my run actually shook it out of me a bit. We do lead busy lives though mate..... and we're not getting any younger image

RIGHT bed for me, long drive on the morrow

• Options

Hello all

Sf - well done on getting out thereimage

Mykey - well done to you as well...take care..hope you ate something after your run!

Dee - many of my runs are 12mm!

I didn't run yesterday and no chance today. Hope to take advantage of a better forecast in the morning!

• Options
    Sorry mad didn't mean 12mm is slow, I meant its slow for me, before my injury I could comfortably run 5k in about 20 - 22 mins, have many years of competitive training under my belt

So far this week 3 sessions of 30 minutes walking 2 minutes running 2minutes with 2 sessions of rowing machine 2 minute warm up at 50% followed by 1 min 80% with 1 min recovery at 60% x 8 sets getting easier, next week will cut the recovery down by 10 seconds that should challenge the CV a bit. Going to have the whole weekend off training
  • Options

Dee-you were faster than I'l ever be. I started at 12mm but have got stronger and faster but still not fast by any stretch of the imagination. Well done on your sessions this week.

Mad-Good luck with the run in the morning.

SF-a bit late but have a good week off

My legs are not too bad after yesterdays run. I think the compression tights I wore all night helped...

• Options

I'm back. Had a great time but no running and too much, **cough** lemonade. Err, Mykey, overdoing it a tad are we (or perhaps I'm underdoing it)? 15 weeks to go. I hope you don't peak too early. Are you getting sport massage to help drain the lactic acid and to iron out any knots?

I'm off for a run, not planned a distance, I'll see how I feel today but lots of miles on this week's schedule and some cross-training  (as well as skool on wedneday) but the week will end with at least a half mara distance on Friday according to my plan.

Welcome Dee, you'll get some good advice on here.

More later, off to put my shorts on, just started to drizzle here so perfect conditions.

• Options

It ws 9.4 yesterday and 6.4 this morning and the girls found a new route for us whilst I was away. It is smashing. Best get back to work. Lots of catching up to do image

• Options

Hi everyone I am back, had a lovely week off and managed a few days in Weymouth and OH got out windsurfing everyday image didn't run till got home Sat so back on it this week image

*waves* to everyone, I am so busy at work image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry I've not been around much lately. We got back from our Thames Path walk on Sat 2nd and I was in a bit of a daze for a few days. Then have been playing catch-up ever since at work and at home.

Not had time to do any sort of catch-up on here so will try and pick things up as I go along. 

Have managed to get out a couple of times for 3mls around town - trying to teach my legs to remember how to run! image

• Options

Welcome back Mel. Did you enjoy your little stroll?

Booey-we loved our recent weekend in Weymouth so going back at Easter.

TL-Well done on the run. Don't you just hate those first few days back after a holiday...

AS for tonights run - I may as well have gone for a swim in the Thames; I would have come back drier. My legs were nice and fresh after a rest since the long run on Thursday so I felt nice and bouncy. I had to hold myself back a bit at times so image My Garmin is currently sat in a bowl of rice to dry out. My good deed for the day - rescuing a football from an ankle deep puddle, failing to kick it over the fence and then having to resort to throwing it over instead. I didn't mind the puddle too badly as I was already soaked.

• Options

Hello all

Mel - welcome back..well done on the walk!

Tl - a couple of decent routes there!

Booey - hope you get back to it this week!

Mykey - well done on the run/swim, and good deed! Hope the Garmin recovers!

I got out there at the weekend, did 7.5ish on Saturday and a very hilly 5 on Sunday. No chance to run yesterday or tdao as OH is away, but will try tomorrow!

• Options

Managed to get out and do 5.08 miles last night and very pleasant it was too image

• Options

Some fab running. I did 6 miles before breakfast then a cxworx and balance class at lunchtime followed by running school. Now, I need someone to answer two  questions.

I paid a man today to make me run on a treadmill at a 15% incline at 13 km/h and I let him shout at me. Does this make me a candidate for the men in white coats?

That was running skool and here endeth the third lesson (if I can drag myself upstairs to bed). My legs are screaming at me.

Are compression socks in bed really a good idea? I can't believe I am actually contemplating it.

• Options

Hi folks.

Well done on last nights run Booey

Mad-Did you run today?

I had a brilliant run today. Conditions were perfect.image

Rest day tomorrow and I have a couple of socials to go to so may not be up to posting...again.image

• Options
    Tired this morning but really need to drag my butt into the gym for the dreaded rowing machine session before work. Did a power plate session yesterday to help strengthen the leg that's recovering from surgery, had a body analysis done so know what I need to do to strengthen it. But on the plus side overall I haven't lost the much muscle mass in my 2 year forced break
  • Options

Hello all

Mykey - great when a run goes wellimage 

Dee - well doen on the powerplate..and rowing session (asuming you got there)!

I ran yestedray, did 5 miles tried to include a couple of intervals! Went for a swim this morning...thinking about 30 day shred druing the sumer hols..any advice?

• Options

My treddie has been fixed so I can do my running skool homework with the telly on image. It'll have to wait until Saturday cos I have a 13 miler to do tomorrow and an 8 on Sunday.

My treddie was very poorly, so poorly in fact that it went bang and blew all the fuses. Apparently when I loaned it to the running club late last year for the club's "open day" they used a generator with very iffy voltage. THere were other issues - the drive belt was full of grass (!) and there was mud stuck to the underside of the running belt. All that caused the motor to wonder what the hell it was doing and it sent a message to the MCB to say "sod this for a game of soldiers, I'm going to blow up". Which it did. I really want to ask the running club to meet me halfway on the cost of the repairs. Hmm, wonder what sort of reaction I'll get.

But it is now fixed, has a new motor, deck, running belt, drive belt and MCB in fact it is all brand new except for the frame so I am happy.

• Options
    'brilliant' run Mykey, don't you just love it when that happens image and good running MWW and Booey. Glad the dreadie is fixed TL, just grabbing the white coat..... Well done on your workouts Dee and well done on keeping sane during rehab - I'm I would just eat eat eat and lose all condition.

Had cracking weekend upthenorth ran 5 on Sat then 11 with brother on Sunday. I'm 'pacing' him when he comes down for the Torbay half in 2 weeks hoping to hip under 1.44 for a pb for him. He'll cruise it I reckon. Coldplay at Man City were absolutely rocking Sunday night so all in all a good few days. Foot hurting again so took Mon/Tue off then cycling 30m yesterday and 50 over the moors today. Phew.

Anyway, what else have I missed image