Options

Wed 19th July 2006

Comments

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Tom and Lizzy - Very funny!

SVT - Maybe her name is Nina and the guy was suffering form a severe hangover (shaking)

Holly - No,Irma won't be going to Comrades,she prefers 10K and half marathons.
  • Options
    Actually, when I was in Portland on Sunday we saw a man who had his kids' names and their dates of birth in large Celtic script on his back. No worry about forgetting their birthdays then, as long as you had a mirror. Tempted to get MrB's DOB and our wedding anniversary tatooed somewhere - I have trouble remembering the year we got married and the day in March of MrB's birthday ...
  • Options
    Morning

Still to bloody hot!!!

What: 6M
    Why: General aerobic
    Last hard: Yestaday
    Last rest: sunday

Good luck hilly in the 5k

Train well
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    lol, all of this talk about tatoos & piercing is really lifting my spirits - thanks! Reminds me of Vivian from the Young Ones.

At Uni my mate decided to draw the indian symbol "Om" onto his upper arm to impress the Girlz. Problem was that he used a permanent black marker and a mirror hence the symbol was drawn in reverse...! I think he now has a job in PR/advertising....typical! ;-)
  • Options
    Too hot? I'd give anything to be able to run at the moment.

What: buying a car
    Why: my car is in the same state as my left leg:-)
  • Options
    hang on in there Julz, BR and david

ive managed 4 miles
    my legs are fine
    just generally tired

Either Im getting fitter or i didnt try hard enough on sunday
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Just catching up with the thread from the past few days.

Seems like everyone is coping well with this heat, im pretty glad im not RUNNING at the moment in this but looking forward to training again soon.

My clearing of the house is going better than I expected, should have cleared most of the heavy stuff by the end of the week, which means I should be back running again on Monday next week, my HR has also dropped so far this week by 8-10bpm in the mornings, so my body is enjoying the break.

HILLY:
    Good luck with the 5K tonight, wonder if your get close to mine and Big Tims times from Rye? ;p

STELLINA:
    I bet im more of a wimp than you anyday! lol

• Options
    Afternoon

Busy morning, but will be out for a run tonight and then hopefully a gentle swim. Not to sure how far but will be something. Going down the trusty TPT.

Enjoy
  • Options
    this is so going to sound big headed, like I'm blowing my own trumpet n all that but I've never been described like this since before. In fact it doesn't sound like me at all.

I was looking for a result of a race I did the other week as I needed to submit my times to the Weslh AAand found this report. It makes me sound a lot better than I am!.................

CHICKENS ARE COUNTED BEFORE THEY'RE HATCHED

Ilford's STEVE ALLEN had a tough battle on his hands at Copthall Stadium in North London on a balmy Monday evening when contesting a Southern Veterans' Track & Field League Over 40s 2,000 metres' walking race; for lining-up as favourite was the Welsh No.2 walker PHIL WILLIAMS of Enfield & Harringey AC. From the 'off' Allen didn't give anything away and was always in contention until the mid-point when the Welshman suddenly ground to a halt and bent down to tie a flapping shoelace - allowing the Ilford man to get away and open up a gap. The Ilford supporters on the sideline were convinced that Allen's good fortune, and Williams misfortune, would ensure an Ilford victory in the event. But they didn't count on Williams' emphatic response to his setback, as he clawed back the deficit and surged ahead inside the final lap to break the tape in 10 minutes and 7 seconds with Allen taking 2nd spot just 3 seconds in arrears.

I am just going to enjoy my 10 seconds of golry
    :-)
  • Options
    (does quick maths... that's just over 8 minute miles! Walking!)

Great report Pizza Man, and a great race.
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    good grief Pizza Man, that's fab!

I have just been out onto Tottenham Court Road. By golly it's a bit warm out there! I know air con is bad for the environment but it's a godsend here.
  • Options
    PM-Well done, enjoy the fame.
  • Options
    If you can't bask in the sun today, PM, when can you?
    Fab!
  • Options
    i heard the gritters are out to stop the road going gooey.
    and british gas are telling people to put the heating on. one way of getting some revenue going

good luck IMers - hope you all have a great time and get the results you deserve

and good luck hilly and SVT tonight

i feel really left out - crap at ironing, have no tattoos and don't know what M-dot means?

nice report PM,

hope minks stops being sick

what - rest today
    why - think it sensible having run 6 days on dodgy achilles so just doing the exercises, stretches and some core stability today

bought CC a paddling pool which he's so far barked at and drank out of
  • Options
    Morning all,

Yeh PM well done!

Hipps - you are getting fitter for sure!

Ms IM ers - go girls go!

LizzyB - LOL. Reminds me of when one of my daughters had a chinese symbol tatoo I asked her what it meant, she said "Peace", I asked if she was certain. She went quiet and next day went for a second opinion, fortunately it was true!

What: 10 miles inc hill reps
    Why: Mid week longer run.
    Last Hard: Weekend

Have a great day
  • Options
    Afternoon folks.

Another hot one out there!

What: lunchtime - 7.25 miles done in 50mins, pm - 1 mile relay leg at the club plus a few easy miles before/after.
    Why: aerobic mileage and taking it a wee bit easier before tomorrow night's 5k.

The 4 x 1 mile relay at the club mentioned above is for Sport Relief, with everyone's fees tonight going to the charity...should be good fun, mixing all the different training groups. Won't be running my leg too hard though...

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Pizza Man - I like it :)

Hilly - Everyone judges by appearances. No matter whether they mean to or not. We can't help it. The first few seconds are crucial. Some people are more tolerant of people with appearances outside the box, yes. But they still judge, for better or for worse.

Tattoos - I wouldn't say yuck. I just can't help feeling that they represent an assault on the body, albeit self-chosen. That's my only objection. I think they often actually look quite cute on girls. On men the big ones tend to look like the non-violent equivalents of pit bull terriers or rottweilers. I.e. if you've got one it means you're lacking something else somewhere.

Just back from toughest 10 miler I have ever done. And it was only 28 degrees in the shade. I chose the open road as opposed to the woods to see what it would be like. Now I know. I took a litre of water but even so I now know what dizziness and nausea are too!
    Mad dogs and Englishmen ... I passed a school janitor and his headmaster at one village school and they asked if i wanted them to call an ambulance!
  • Options
    more water snaps, keep drinking it
    thanks SVT - all becomes clear!
    enjoy the relay scobos
  • Options
    Afternoon All,

Debbo: Best of luck at the IM. Go and be awesome too.

nrg-b: Stay cool!

imski: Good news about the injury - fingers crosed for you.

Wabo: Hope things are OK.

Julz: I think running is all about upping your training, finding a debilitating problem, fixing it, upping your training....

Pizza Man: Well done. You ought to get that race report tatooed somewhere.

Tatoos, piercings, etc. I have non and feel it's up to the individual what they do to their body so long as I don't have to pay for the consequences. The problem with tatoos is they're in fashion at the moment, but when there not in fashion you can't hide them at the back of the wardrobe or donate them to a charity shop!

What: 13m mid-week, medium-long, excrutiatingly hot, very slow run. I made the concession of setting off at 11:30 to avaid the heat. The heat made no concessions.
    Why: Mad Dogs, Englishmen, AF
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 85 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Snappy darlin-they meant an ambulance to the nearest loony bin

are you MAD running at this time of day;)
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Hilly

Yes I do have strong views on tattooo's but they are my views no one elses.

I had thought this was an open forum where one can express ones own views obviously I was wrong!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    So, serious (and non-tattoo-related) question:

What's the best way to prepare for the heat tonight prior to the race - find a nice shady spot outside and acclimatise, or sit in an air-conditioned car and keep cool?
  • Options
    I would acclimatise
    but in the sahde, as you said
  • Options
    I'd definitely go for the air-conditioned bar. I'd also not worry too much about the effect on your performance - as long as it's cooled down a bit then it should be ideal racing weather!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    WP, why do you say that?

There are as many people posting against tattoos as are in favour - it would be very dull if we all agreed all of the time.

What about pony tails on men - especially grey haired/balding middle aged men. If you want to see that sort of thing in abundance, try the Cambridge Folk festival.

Also have you noticed how many muddle aged shaven headed men are actually balding - ha ha!

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    muddle = middle, no I'll stick to muddle!
  • Options
    Balding with shaved head is fine. Ponytail on greying/balding man says "I wish I was a rock star", but they're clearly not, because no 50-ish rock star looks like that.

Sounds like I'd need to take a pair of scissors with me if visiting the Cambridge folk festival.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Why do you feel that way WP, I only asked a question?