Options

Funny training

My brother and a good mate have both entered a half marathon in March. Neither have ever run before. Saw them both today and talked about how the training was going. My brother is doing one 5 mile run a week, whilst my mate is going out 6 times a week and running 2 miles each time. Both are in their 30s - brother 31, mate 35. Both smoke although brother only 5 a day. Mate is tall and thin but does no other exercise, brother about 6 foot and quite strong goes to the gym.

Apart from the fact that they are both going to suffer - who do you think will win ?

Comments

• Options
    collapse, collapse, collapse, collapse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    your mate
    he has more to prove
  • Options
    ur bro may have the stamina to stick it for longer
  • Options
    What if none of them finish,who gets the nod
  • Options
    the one who stuck it out longest!
  • Options
    Your mate (based on the weight discrepancy, and his training frequency - it's definitely better to run 2 miles 6 times a week, than 5, or even 12 for that matter, once a week)
  • Options
    March this year ?
  • Options

I'll go for your brother. Having said that they 'll both be cursing the day they entered the event after the finish (if they ever they get there, as someone said) !!
  • Options
    They'll feel crap at the end, but they could well both finish...and even in a respectable time. I did my first 1/2 marathon after 7 weeks of running for 50mins once a week. In my case it was because injury prevented me from training anymore, but I was determined not to drop out even if I walked it...I finished (to my amazement!!) in 1:58 but felt like nothing on Earth for the next few days!!!!
  • Options
    They've entered the Wilmslow - I talked them into in at Xmas - never thought they'd go for it but they have. Mate is running in a pair of £10 mock old school adidas trainers, think they are called Ador?, brother bought a pair of Pegasus at the weekend because he "liked the colour"!

My brother says he is doing his 5 miles in about 40 minutes and I can see him going off at that pace and having to walk most of the last 3 miles.
  • Options
    Oh and my mate is looking for a club in Nottm to join if anyone can recommend one. He doesn't drive and lives above the Polish diner (Nottm is soooo sophisticated) on Maid Marian Way so anywhere accessible from there.
  • Options
    Eek!!!! Tell them to buy proper running shoes! The Pegs are quite an unstable shoe, even for the most efficient runner, so will enhance any natural pronation of the foot. Your brother should get his feet checked out, and if neutral should have something more like the Adidas Supernova Cushion, or the Asics Nimbus, as they're more stable road running shoes. Your mate DEFINITELY needs new shoes too!!!! Their run will be 10 times more successful and do-able in the right cloggs!
  • Options
    You talked them into it? Guess who'll get the blame when they suffer?
    My bet's on your brother as well - are you sure he's telling you the truth about his training? Sibling rivalry being what it is, he's probably hammering out track sessions like there's no tomorrow so he can do the race in style, then pretend all your training's a waste of time.
  • Options
    Still think your mate will do it faster
  • Options
    HMMM.. I'll have to think about this one- what are their names we will need to verify the results if bets are placed and no swapping numbers.This is an interesting question and much more fun than the ones we used to get in maths, I wonder if RW would adopt the idea for a puzzle corner.
    On the one hand your brother at least has a brand of trainers we've heard of, but your mate is considering a running club- I think I will go for your brother on the basis of Lauras reckoning that sibling rivalry will cross the pain threshold!
  • Options
    Pity I'm not doing Wilmslow I'd love to see the finish.
  • Options
  • Options
    I did warn him about buying a cushioned shoe and recommended Air Span Triax (??) or something like that or else some less cushioned racer trainers given his mileage is low - but he "liked the colour". I don't think sibling rivalry will be a factor because he isn't that competitive and he's not really close enough to my time either - I'd be more concerned if my other brothers had entered as they might present more of a challenge - especially the one up from me as he was always the sporty one.

My mate is on about getting some shoes but reckons there are "loads in the sports shops round Notts" - what can you do if people wont listen eh? Mind you he hasn't got any yet - he's had these crappy Ador things for years.

He's also got a pair of trainers he might run in that he inherited off his mum's boyfriend when he died the other week! I know it's in bad taste but I had to laugh - mind you not as bad taste as the shoes - grey suede with velcro fastenings. The worst bit though is that this guy also had hundreds of liquid meals in cartons on prescription because he couldn't take solids - my mate now has these stacked up in his flat and is taking one a day as part of his training regime. Actually they are not bad after a night out but I digress.

I've also got another mate and my partner running in this - I wont say owt about my partner though as she does read these forums at work - she just lurks though.

• Options
    Popsider - the Spans are great if you're fairly light on your feet, but have minimal support and ain't all that cushioned. They're suitable for the 13M, but a new runner may want something a little more protective. The Asics Kayano are a gteat shoe, as they are reeeeaaaally well cusioned and provide great support, though only if your foot pronates onto the anti-roll bar; if not, they allow the foot to remain naturally neutral, so they're suitable for a really wide range of runners. They also feel super comfy and are good for heavier runners because of their cushioning. Your mate's unlikely to get blisters from these. If he's neutral, the Nike Max Moto will probably be a better shoe than the Pegs, as these have better cushioning and are a bit more stable. Hope that helps a bit;)
  • Options
    Freakette - you really seem to know your stuff re shoes! I've been trying to break in a pair of Asics GT2080s for FLM but get huge blisters if I run for more than 1 hr 15. I've decided to put them away for shorter races for now and am off to try new shoes this lunchtime. I have hight arches, run fairly neutrally, 5'9" 61kg female. I thought I'd check out cushioned shoes after the blister agony of Saturday's long run, but don't really know what to go for. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Sorry to hijack your thread Popsider - I'm going with your mate on the half but think they're both mad!

Rach
  • Options
    I still think your brother will win, your friend is worryingly wierd- velcro fastenings? I would love to know what the rest of his kit is like!
  • Options
    Haven't laughed so much for ages! Maybe bad taste Popsy but the thought of your running in a coffin dwellers trainers, surrounded by a job lot of liquid meals made me nearly choke on my toast and lemon curd!!!

Please give us their numbers. I'm not running Wilmslow but I'm local and will be down there cheering on my mates and would love to give your bro and mate a special Cheshire welcome!
  • Options
    Rach - the 2080s are a great shoe once broken in properly. I think they take a while though because Asics use a firm cushioning style in this series, unlike in the Asics Kayano (same support level as 2080, but softer, thicker cushioning). That could be causing the blisters. I think you're right to reserve them for shorter runs for a while, and gradually build up the distance in them. Theys say that the average distance for wearing in a pair of shoes is about 50M, though I guess it depends on the shoe and your own running.

Have you had your gait looked at? If you're completely neutral, the 2080s may be a little too rigid for you...where are your blisters, and are there any obvious points of discomfort in the shoe? If you do need the same support level and still find you don't get on with the 2080s, the Nike Structure Triax is also a medial support shoe but with a softer feel to the cushioning. The Adidas Supernova Control also does the same job but has a more snug/feminine fit than the Asics, though they are a little shorter, so you'd need maybe half a size bigger.

Hope this helps a bit;)

Freakette (also Rach!!).
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Freakette. I'll try out the shoes you mentioned. I bought the 2080s from Runners Need where they checked out my running style so I was rather disappointed to have had so may probs. I got the shoes late December so have easily done the 50 miles in them. My blisters are where the arch meets ball of foot, where there is a rigid support pad inside the shoe - apparently I'm not the only person to have experienced this. Anyway, I'm certainly well equiped with advice for todays shopping spree! I'm also going to splash out on some spring/summer kit now that the sun's shining here - it's going to be one hell of a retail therapy sess. today!!!!

Thanks again,
    Rach
  • Options
    thanks popsider for this thread, have been giggling away to myself and getting funny looks.

Id vote for your brother as at least hes got lace up trainers, velcro I ask you !!

Why do so many blokes not listen to advice ! you obviously know your stuff and yet your brother and mate are heading for a horrible experience !
  • Options
    Sounds like a case of nature (genetics) v nurture (training 6 times a week)..

I'll go with the former - your brother to win because his brother's a runner (he should be v.grateful !)
  • Options
    I have found this one of the funniest threads I have read, come on Popsider- enlighten us about the rest of your mates kit- could it be surgical stockings and a crimplene dress inherited from the old lady next door? And what is he planning to drink for re-hydration?- embalming fluid?
  • Options
    Boinging this one up because I want regular updates on the guys training/ race preparation.