Options

Witham Boxing Day 5

13»

Comments

• Options
    A great race. Great experience.

Included a 'Paula Radcliffe' moment. Could have gone behind some trees but, at about three miles, she 'went', virtually on the side of the road.

That's a first.

Two pukers as well.

That's Boxing Day, I guess.
  • Options
    Was one of the pukers just in the funnel at the end??? If so, I know her and that was through effort!!!!!!!! That didn't console her much, she is still mortified at being sick!!!

I've never seen anyone be sick or do a Paula on that route (or any route) before!
  • Options
    "Was one of the pukers just in the funnel at the end??? If so, I know her and that was through effort!!!!!!!! That didn't console her much, she is still mortified at being sick!!!"

Two people were sick just after finishing. The lady sent me an email in case we didn't get her number and I'm sure she's not still mortified. I suggested she lay off the mince pies before next year's race. (I'm always ready with helpful advice. ;-) )

Wearing my other hat:
    As you have probably gathered, I organise registration for the Boxing Day 5 and am a member of Witham Running Club's committee. As a separate enterprise, I run Smiles4Miles which was one of the sponsors of the race and in that role we took photos to sell to you. You can see them at www.smiles4miles.co.uk and buy them if you feel inclined.
  • Options
    Nice one Stet!!!

Thought of you guys while I was trugging round the Glynneath 5m on BD. Welsh Alex told me it was an 'easy' run - easy by Welsh standards perhaps but found it pretty tough! Still first race since August BH so ever so slightly race-rusty. Knew it'd be well off pb altho' had hoped for a sub-40. Did 40.29 in the end which I wasn't too upset about - esp. as I'd had a nasty wee cold and had hiked up Pen Y Fan (highest mountain in South Wales) on Xmas Eve so was somewhat tight in the calves.

Hope to see you all at forthcoming races!!! ;o)
  • Options
    The two I saw (bending over by the side of the road) were about half way round the course.

This was followed by the 'emergency bathroom stop' by a lady runner just 10 or more yards ahead of me. Wicked. Must have been deperate, as I mentioned, there was some reasonable cover a few more yards ahead.

I just kept stoically looking ahead especially after another shock, being passed by a damn 'walker'. He must have been travelling at eight minute miles.