Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Flynn.

Thanks for your reply re the drink stations. Probably the most comprehensive reply I have ever had to any post.

Much appreciated. Better make sure I am there nice and early.

Andy
  • Options
    Ran (mostly!) Bungay in 4:21 on Sunday. Feeling good now, so I hope I have done my Halstead cause some good.

Easy week this week, then a couple more long runs and a two week taper. I would love to beat my 4:16 from last year . . .
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm booked in to run the Stratford marathon on the 29th, which would be my first after three halfs. Training was going well (last long run was 16 miles) until last weekend, when I managed to strain a muscle in my back pretty badly. Had physio and been out for nine days, quietly going stir crazy, and reckon I've got at least a couple more before I'm back out there. Obviously it's a big blow this close to the race, so I'm considering giving up on Stratford and entering this one instead, giving myself a couple more weeks to prepare. Seems like people prefer this one anyway. Is it looking like filling up any time soon, and does anyone have any advice for coming back fairly quickly from injury, and for whether I should change anything in terms of tapering? I'm realistic enough to know that I might not be ready even for this run, but would appreciate comments from anyone who has gone through anything similar. Cheers.

PS. Sorry Flynn - total technical incompetence seem to have made me create
    a separate thread. Will get on to the moderator to get rid of it!
  • Options
    Spectators and stuff.

My young boys and wife (and father in law) and probably a whole gaggle of other family members want to come and cheer me on during my first full marathon. Problem is how do you keep a 2.5 year old (or a 6 year old for that matter) ammused for 3 odd hours until I round some bend? Any ideas or plans for entertainment for spectators during the race? Is there someplace close they can go to and still walk back to a good vantage point?

Obviously this one goes out to people who know the route and area well.

Jon
  • Options
    I've been training for this marathon for the last ten weeks, and this morning I realised I had forgotten to do possibly the most important task - register! Very glad to see I haven't missed the race packs being sent out. See you all next month!
  • Options
    Mutton Kart, the quickest way back is not to come back too soon. Get your back fixed first. As someone who has been on the bench for 5 months because he ran with an injury for 3, I feel qualified to comment.

Jon McKellar, one of the disadvantages of having such a quiet country course is that there is very little to do except the pub.

However there is a sports centre with swimming pool next door to the race HQ. Once the gun has gone the family could indulge there, and then go out onto the course, possibly to Starstile Corner to watch dad coming in with a mile to go when he needs a big lift. They could then walk or drive back to the finish.

Alternatively they could go to Levit's corner between mile 23 and 24, watch dad go by and then drive back to the HQ in time to cheer dad home. Preferably not driving over the course, and parking back in the race car park. Please.
  • Options
    Flynn,

Thanks for clarifying, didn't think I had had it but just wanted to makes sure!
  • Options
    Ran a 15 mile lsr as part of my Lochaber taper today. As there's only 3 weeks between the two races, hopefully I will have time to recover and maintain a necessary level of fitness.
    The other good news is that West Ham won again yesterday, so a glass or two of red wine will be in order this evening.
  • Options
    Flynn,
    Had entered the White Peak marathon,local to me.
    But due to a possible change in my work rota, might need to look at another race, and your comes recomended.
    Entries still open, how close are you to reaching your limit?

• Options
    sorry to say im out got compartment syndrome havnt run anything over 7 miles for the last 2 months also awaiting mri scan on left knee
  • Options
    lemsip:

Plenty of places left. Look forward to getting your entry.

johnny heres:

Bad luck mate. Very good idea to get the injury sorted though before getting back into running marathons.
  • Options
    Hands up who wants the race to be as warm as today? Not me for sure. Ran 18.5 miles on Saturday in cool wind and loved every second of it - ran 4.5 today at 09:30 and felt every meter - almost certainly down to the heat (although legs a little sore from Saturdays effort). Please let it be raining on the day.......
  • Options
    Flynn,
    Thanks for you response.
    Might have a FLM place due to a injured friend, a decision over the weekend, if he is healthy, then will enter you outstanding sounding race!

Reading the info on bringing your own feeds, how many drinks stations will you have along the route?
  • Options
    lemsip:

Why not run both? :) That's what I'm doing.

"Five water stations serve the runners ten times. Similarly two sponge stations serve the runners four times. We allow runners to take their own drinks to water stations; the drinks should be clearly labelled with the Runners surname and running number. Any runner, who wishes to have personal drinks taken out to a Water Station, must place their labelled drinks bottles in the appropriately numbered boxes near the information desk by 8.45am."
  • Options
    Hi I'll try again messed up last time and started a new thread sorry.
    This is my first marathon done 1/2 in March upto 18 miles now, just need alot off help and advice for the last few miles i have been informed about the hills help! help!. Am i mad for my first marathon might be full by the time my application is received.
  • Options
    Me again ;-)

What tme did you do for your 1/2 and 18 miles. Your training looks spot on so far.

• Options
    Relax Deana! You can't really train for the last few miles and, as it's your first one, you can't know what to expect or know how to deal with it.

The way I prepare for the last few miles is 1) get plenty of rest in the few days before the marathon 2) take the first half easy 3) take in as much energy (gels, sweets, whatever you are happy with) during the marathon as you can manage.

And those hills aren't too bad - it's just that they get harder the more miles you do, so towards the end you do feel them a bit.
  • Options
    Tired Legs
    1hr 49min & just over 2hrs 35ish but found hard, how far should i train if i feel i can do anymore?

Slowbutfar
    Thanks for the advice 1)shall i add some hills in a short run or in a longer run 2)i'm not really into the gels/sweets will the energy drinks and water be enough to get me around.

• Options
    Trouble with energy drinks is you can't carry enough to give you the energy you need, so you'll need to place your own drinks at drink stations using the facility the organizers provide.
  • Options
    Well, were to start?
    My run has just been dealt a hammer blow. Not sure why I am on here sayingthis, but perhaps its easier to message you guys, who are all running for your own reasons than it is to talk to mates.

As some of you know, I am running to raise money for a friend who lost his leg to cancer in February. He is 22 and having been diagnosed the doctors took his leg away after only 2 weeks, but he was cancerfree.

I've just spoken with his mother and the cancer has returned. Both lungs and multiple sites. It is terminal and he is not having treatment. Extremely quick and aggressive.

This run, if it wasnt already, will now be the hardest thing I will ever emotionally do as well as physically.

I'm not even sure I know how I can do it. What was such a symbol for a future for him now seems so pointless.

I will definitely be there on the 13th, but my marathon has now just drastically changed.
  • Options
    Flynn

Have you run both Halstead & FLM in previous years. I am running FLM for the first time (& my first Marathon) & am seriously considering Halstead as well. Am I kidding myself?

What sort of mileage do you do between the two races. Most plans advise taking a week off after a marathon which would leave two weeks - a normal taper. Should I just rely on my current fitness?

Advice please - non biased of course!!

Tryffydog
  • Options
    Flynn

I am running at Lochaber next Sunday and then Halstead three weeks later. I'd too would be interested in hearing what sort of mileage should be run between the two races.

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks flynn,
    You should really write a book with your advice/experiances!
    One final question, will the race be of the correct standard to use for qualifying for next years FLM?
    fGoodluck to you guys doing two marathons.
    Did Robin Hood last year, after being called to work at 4am, 3h12,and then did the Cardiff marathon 4 weeks later, 3-02.
    Was only traning 45miles a week then, and ut back to 30 afte r10days off.
    This year have binned the batchelor lifestyle, 70mp/week. aim sub 2-50.
  • Options
    Deana Loveridge:

SlowButFar is absolutely right. You cannot train for those last few miles. You have to have faith in your training and trust the fact that you will be able to complete the distance.

You shouldn't be trying our gels/sweet/sports drinks at this stage. They should be used throughout your training to allow your body to adapt to them. (And to make sure that they agree with you) If you havn't trained with these then on the day you'll have to just hope that water and some sports drink will be enough.

Richard Campbell:

That's extremely sad news and my heart goes out to your friend and his family.

If there is anything I can do to help then please just let me know. We're there to help so anything we can do just ask.

Tryffydog/Kevin Hanney:

I ran Bungay and then Halstead last year and they were about 6 weeks or so apart. I've never run two marathons 3 weeks apart but it's not unknown. From the training guides I go by I'm planning on doing just one 2 hour run on the Wednesday of week two. (It'll be about 14 miles I guess) I'll be taking 2 days off after the FLM then I'll ease myself in gently over the next 7 days leading up to that long run. From that long run it'll be basic maintainance until I start another taper in the week before Halstead.

Most people tend to think of running multiple marathons as a pretty special thing and with good reason. There are people though for whom doing this is normal. I had an entry through this week from a guy for whom Halstead 2007 will be his 396th marathon and he's only 43! Within Halstead Road Runners we have a member called Andy Wilmot. If he runs Halstead this year it will be his 390th marathon. These guys run marathons every weekend. Amazing stuff.

lemsip:

Any book I would write would be based on common sense and repeating what is in far more informed peoples books. I like Hal Higdon's marathon training stuff and would advise anyone interested to read his stuff.

One final question, will the race be of the correct standard to use for qualifying for next years FLM? - Yes. Absolutely. The Halstead & Essex Marathon is a SEAA and UK Athletics accredited race.

Good luck with running sub 2-50. You can get the kettle on and make me a brew for when I finish. :)
  • Options
    flynn,
    thanks again.
    entered online this evening.
    just recovered from my long run 23.5miles.
  • Options
    That does change things, RC. Hope you are dealing with it as well as you can.

On a trivial note, my shin splints are back caused, no doubt, by too much running too quickly after Bungay. Bugger.
  • Options
    RC, what can one say? Your friendship remains most important in the face of such tragedy. Strength to you all.

I was going to say something about multiple marathons (I am doing one every 4 weeks this spring, the second was yesterday, Halstead will be my third). But I think I will pause and reflect a little now.
  • Options
    Flynn

Thanks for your advice. I'll aim for what you said but may have to tweak according to how knackered I am after Lochaber. My recovery rate is normally reasonably quick but this will be a first for me.

Richard.

Your sad news puts many other things into perspective. I wish you the strength you need and I know that the guys posting on this thread will support you, both during the race and either side of it.
  • Options
    My dad and I are thinking of running this marathon after an appalling marathon in Rotterdam at the weekend... The organisers abandoned it after 3 and a half hours because the hospitals couldn't cope with the amount of people collpasing due to the heat. Not nice!

Do you know if Boston marathon recognises this marathon?

Thanks!
  • Options
    sarah parker 6:

That sounds like a nightmare in Rotterdam. I'd heard that was a really good race to go for a PB on because it's so flat.

I don't know for sure if Boston recognised our marathon but I would imagine so. We are a UK Athletics registered event and our course is of a certified length.

I'll send an email to the Boston organisers and find out exactly what the entry requirements are.