Options

Thompson Brothers Stockport 10

Who will win next years Golden Goody bag ?

Will Harry the Harrier win the mascot race again ?

Will Stockport Council dig up every road on the course again ?

Will the Stockport 10 be in Runnerworlds top 50 races ?

Will GBM ever beat Eric again ?

Will the wind blow the finish balloon away again ?

Keep tuned in for answers to all these questions and lots more....

Comments

• Options
    After enjoying the 10k so much on Wednesday I signed up for this. Is it the same course? Does this mean i have to go up that hill 5 times?
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Paul- It doesn't involve that hill at all from what I remember, but we can make you do it 5 times if that will make you happy! There are actually 2 hills which are longer but less steep. The first one is quite tough if you don't get some hill practice in. The Stockport 10 is not park-based like the 10K is. Glad you enjoyed the 10K- I enjoyed marshalling and watching everyone suffer in Vernon Park!!!
  • Options
    Answers to questions in OP:

Me (or else)

Probably seeing as he is the only mascot.

Of course they will. It's what councils do best.

No, not until I have run it at least.

Only if it's windy and GBM holds onto the ballon blowing away (assuming the wind is going in the right direction.

See above.
  • Options
    EM--Was The Mansfield Half-Marathon (or as we call it-The poor mans Stockport 10) a success?
  • Options
    Apparently so GBM.

I thought that numbers would be down on previous years as they changed to course to a hillier route (and some daft pillock told everyone on here just how hilly) but Mansfield Harriers claim numbers were up.

Nowt to do with me anyway, other than being coerced into marshaling.
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Paul - Mort is a great marshal but rubbish at navigation. There are 3 hills. At the top of the first hill it flattens out and you go round the corner for about 50 yds then the next hill starts. New Zealand Rd is a doddle at the end. hmm
  • Options
    morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Kwaka- Well excuse me Mr Kwaka!!! I was counting your first 2 hiils as one. In my opinion there isn't sufficient recovery time on the 50 yds bit so it might as well be one hill!!!!!!

Other than this, I am indeed rubbish at navigation!
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    lol, promise not to give you the marshal point at the turn near the kennels this year.
  • Options

Hello Stockport Harrier-ites

A friend of mine has a place for the Great North Run but is unable to do it...

He would like £20 for it.

Please email me ASAP if you would like the place.

• Options

I might be able to add two more to that if anyone wants 3.

• Options

The GNR place my friend wants to get rid of is a deferal place - menaing you pick it up on the day and you can run in your own name. It is guarenteed entry for a runner.

If you are interested please email me, he wants £20 for it.

• Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

She-Ra - we've decamped to the Wanna Blista thread to leave this one for enquiries about the Stockport10. Try a post on there for your friends no.

Entries for this years world famous event are approaching 100 already so get your's in quickly as there is a good chance of reaching our 800 limit this year.

Discussions are well underway about the contents of this years 'Goody Bag' but as usual this will be a well kept secret until they are given out after the race.

Also this year we are looking at giving away a more useful momento.

Enquires for the race can be made to: anthony.ward50@ntlworld.com

See you on December the 9th.

• Options
    hi, i`v just entered the stockport 10 for the first time, just completed the great north run, any tips for a first timer? think my estimated time will be about 1 hr 35, i`v applied online- do i get stuff through the post? thanks very much! gemma  image
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

Gemma - We hope that entries this year will be confirmed via e-mail along with a race pack file to download. You will then pick your number up on the day from the track.

I've just picked up the 1st batch of postal entries from Sweatshop in Hyde and now have access to the on-line entries. You should see things starting to happen in the next week or so. (Im away this w/e in the Lakes racing)

This is quite a hilly 10 miler, with 2/3 testing climbs. Dont set off too quick and keep a little in reserve for the last hill at the 8 1/2 mile mark.

Looking forward to seeing you.

• Options
    thanks very much! sounds like a challenge, i live in gee cross so cant go very far without big hills, im looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Hi.  Would love to do this race but I am not a quick runner - ie it took me 2 and a half hours to complete the Great North Run on Sunday - are there any "slower" runners like me that run this 10 miler???
  • Options
      sharon, im not the fastest runner either but just do it for the experience and fitness, i did the great north run in 2 hrs 22 mins, so we`re probably doing the same pace, i can run with you if you like? dont worry about the time, just do it for the enjoyment. my biggest fear is being last! but i`v had a look on the stockport harriers website and their are a lot of slower runners than us, let me know if you need me to run along with you, to be honest i could do with the support also, Gemma
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

Sharon/Gemma - the last finisher in 2006 was 2:00hrs.

I followed the back markers for a couple of miles mid race and they were running slower than 2 1/2 hr, Half Mara pace so I wouldnt worry about being last.

• Options
    Sharon, I'm not quick either, have done this twice before in1.42 and 1.43. Was injured last year so had to scratch. The marshalls are very friendly, but the hills are killersimage
  • Options

Kwaka - just in case it's slipped your mind, I just noticed that Stockport 10 is not listed on John Schofield's ukresults.net site...

• Options
    Hi Gemma,  Thanks for that!  Would be great to have someone to run with - could do with motivation!  I will have a look at the harriers website too!
  • Options
     sharon, u can e-mail if u like if u want to arrange to meet up at the race its gemmafindlay24@hotmail.com . it would be nice not to feel like the slowest person there, but im sure we`ll be fine as kwaka has said, people finished at 2hrs last year. im hoping for 1hr 35 ish so we can egg each other on!
  • Options

Hi Gemma.

Thanks for your email address.  I have just emailed you - and yes I am up for the challenge too!!

• Options
    I am wanting to do this run too, think I will enter today image Just done GNR in 2hr 15 and have entered Bath half marathon so want to get some practice in. What is the route and are the hills really bad?
  • Options
    the route is on the stockport harriers website, not sure about the hills but i think they`re pretty big!
  • Options
    I live in a fairly hilly area in the peak district and so no run is complete without hills! I will check out the route and see if I dare.......................image
  • Options
    I dont think you`ve got anything tom worry about then!
  • Options
    Cheers Gemma. I have had a look at the route and may just try it out to see how I feel image
  • Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

Daz - thanks for the reminder. Ive just bee in touch with John from UKresults and Graham from Race Results but did forget to attach the entry form to the e-mail.

Will do so now.

Off to the Lakes tomorrrow for the Coniston Lakeland Trail race. Speak to you Sun/Mon.

• Options
    KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

Just to let everyone know who entered this, Im starting to collate the information and will be putting a race pack together.

I'll start to send out details via e-mail in the next couple of weeks and post it on the stockport harriers web site along with an entry list with your race number.

You can enter on line or using the entry form on the Stockport Harriers web site.