Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options

Many Congratulations to PQ and Pammie!!  imageimage

Pammie - awesomely good splits there - I'm so jealous! image

I did some hill training yesterday - what basically amounted to a DIY fell-race-route - 8M/1600ft ascent:

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/dc476da437a444e48a71bc72583b741a

The views from Dale Top (nr 1.5M) and Black Hill (nr 4.5M) were AWESOME image - will deffo have to take my camera with me next time...

• Options

sounds like a nice run there daz

i just did 9k easy (but hilly) yesterday.  today is 5k race day.  no surprises that the wind is completely battering the house this morning.   its supposed to carry on getting worse till lunchtime (47kph) then drop back to 43kph for the start of the race.  oh well.  no pbs today.

• Options

Good running Daz & M.

M. - Good luck for the race, will keep my fingers crossed for the wind to drop.

I did a hilly 12 miles today and got battered in the gales and rain image

• Options

I'm with Sharkie, everyone is too good on here. I hope when I am well I might be able to improve.
    Splits from TT:
    = 24.06
    Just followed someone around in the vain hope that they might know how to pace themself. She didn't. Still really I suppose it was OK as I was/am still vertigoed and stomach-wronged to the max.
    Sunday was worst run ever (discounting LFOTM) about 5 miles in usual place, I found it too hard, calves and achilles dead, felt ill, had to keep walking. Think it may have been because I did extra 6 miles cycling on Saturday. Too much exercise, too ill.

Oh yes Sharkie, comedy course is OK but contains too much game playing and that kind of crap but I knew it would. I'll enjoy it more when I can concentrate (though will never enjoy group games). Don't mean to keep going on but have been so ill I haven't been able to concentrate or appreciate the lessons so far.

• Options

Ostrich - My 3 & 4 kms always seem to be the slowest too, but at least you picked it back up for the last lap.

Can anyone recommend some speed reps to target a 10k ? I've got the 5k ones sorted but was wondering are there any specific ones that would help over the longer distance? I was doing 1600m reps when training for Dublin m******* so would they be the best to do?

• Options

copied from daily training i'm afraid - i'm so tired i absolutely have to go to sleep.

5k for me - wasn't expecting much as it was so windy - over 45kph.  still it went suprisingly well and i was only 4 seconds off a pb (22.33).  other regulars were over 30 seconds down on normal times so i think that bodes well for when we get a better day. 

worst part: the 200m before the 5k tunraround getting completely soaked every couple of seconds as the sea crashed into the sea wall and the wind blew the spray straight over us. 
    best part: starting to catch people in the last km as we hit the worst of the headwind.

• Options
    Well done M. that's an excellent result in those conditions ! image
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Flippin'  'eck, you are a speedy lot! The "beyond" part of this thread's title is well represented.

Well done to M. on what sounded like a very dramatic race. If you can do that into a headwind and soaked in sea spray, your pb is up for a thorough beating soon.

Congratulations to PQ on a huge pb just 3 weeks after the previous one. You are obviously nowhere near your potential.

And well done to Pammie on your sub-2 half (for the third time, but it bears repeating). Sub-25 for you soon, though I think you've been there before, haven't you?

Ostrich
    Hope you feel better soon. This is probably not the time to overdo things, exercise or anything else.
    I did a "clown weekend" once... I felt as though I was being quite amusing, but was told that I didn't "get it". Never did find out what "it" was, or understand what the more successful participants were doing right.

Well, from this side of the sub-25 fence, such times still seem like a long way off... l would appear to have increased my easy running pace by about 30 secs/km after a winter of aerobic-base-building half training, but have forgotten what 5k pace feels like. Must do some shorter intervals. I'm thinking of entering a 15k on 30 March, which will be interesting as I haven't raced that distance before.

• Options

Choutte - Thanks you are too kind. Would like to think you are right re potential, time will tell I guess !

15k sounds good, a guaranteed pb if nothing else image

• Options

PQ - re 10k - 1600m reps will be good, I usually do Mile reps (same thing!), or to make the maths easier 5x2k reps is supposed to be a good session.

just bringing forward the list:

Current Targets For Training

Daz general 5k PB readiness; Croxteth Park 10k on Apr.27th; Fairfield Horseshoe FR on May.17th

Ostrich Improve 5k Time-Trial PB; 10k race on Mar.24th; 6M race on Mar.16th

M HM's on May 4th and June 1st, 5ks on Mar 25th and a target one on Apr 8th, upcoming harrier racing season (starts April 19th)

Pammie "That Distance that can't be named" April 13th, then after that nothing specific but back to short races 5k and under

Chouette Lots of 5ks through the summer, with a view to breaking 25:30 on the way to sub-25. First attempt: 20 April.

Red Ed Welcome to the world 5k on March 30th in Edinburgh

Tracey G Paddock Wood half on 30 March - Want to beat my pb from 2006; sub 27 min 5k pb some time this year

sharkie June Vets league: 15.9 seconds 100m (81.18 age graded)
    34.9 200m - (77.02 age graded)
    15.5 for 100m by end of season (83.27)

PQ Weekly speed reps targeting 5k distance with next pb attempt in mid March. Also planning a sub 50 10k attempt whenever I can find a suitable course. Half marathon in May.

• Options
    5 x 2K reps.... *faints* image
  • Options

5 x 2K reps - I did say "supposed" to be a good session (meaning I've never actually done it!)

probably best to try 3 or 4x2k first and build up to it image

I'm going to do 5x1-Mile on Saturday, with Half-Mile jog-recoveries - this is my standard 10k sesh and should give me a good idea of where I'm "at" 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Ostrich - Still a good time. Well done. The trouble with following someone hoping they'll be a good pacer is unless you know how they run and what times they do then you ar taking a chance.

A lot of people struggle in the 3rd and 4th km of a 5k i think its the same for most other distances IMHO. That once you are 75% through the race concentration can start to go, you get tired and you really have to concentrate on working harder to retain form and pace

M - Well done again not  bad at all considering the winds and that many others were a lot slower than normal.

Chouette - Thanks yes i've been there before  thats why  i really want to get there again

PQ - Agree with Daz 5 x 2000m is a good session though i've never done them either. Only thing i'd suggest is to build up to it as you've done 1600s before maybe start with that to ease back into it and then gradually move into 5 x 2ks

Just 5km for me today  easily done 62% WHR but felt harder legs grumbling a bit. Probably still reacting to sundays race apart from that race distance ie. twice what i did on Sunday i've not raced further than 5 miles in a few years ( i discount the 10ks i did as one  i dnf, the other was just a training run)

• Options

thanks all

PQ - 5 x 2k is an excellent session - as is 6 x 1.6k (what i was doing for my last 10k race).  remember you can vary how hard the session is quite a lot by increasing or decreasing the rests.  i took mine down from 3mins to 1 min over the space of a few weeks but maintained the same pace for the intervals.

just worked out my age grading is *exactly* the same as for my PB despite being 4 seconds slower (66.11%).  thats what happens when you get a year older! 

• Options

Thanks all re reps. I think I will definitely need more than 1 min recovery to start off with anyway. I remember the 1600s were quite tough and I will have to up the speed now too so I can't say I'm looking forward to them ! image 

I was thinking of doing them at around 12.4/12.5 kph. Does this sound fast enough if I'm aiming for a 48 min (roughly) 10k time? My current pb from Nov is 50:08 btw.

• Options

hi PQ

from your 5k time mcmillan predicts 48.05 so you are in the right ballpark in aiming for 48mins.  i ran 48.12 a few weeks back and was doing 1600m reps at 4.40 pace or a bit quicker (12.8-12.9kph) for that.  12.4 is definitely too slow as it is slower than your predicted race pace.  12.5 is dead on race pace but i really think for reps you need to be going faster.

• Options
    Cheers M., I will maybe try 12.6 to start with then and see how I get on. Well done on the 48:12 btw, hope I can get there soon too ! image
  • Options

Chouette - I bet you were the best clown and it was them that didn't "get it".

Ran like the goddamn wind (but against the actual wind) at running club yesterday. No cycling (as off work) and just sitting eating pizza chips etc to attempt to settle stomach meant I was strong and zipped up Snakey Hill with relative ease (rather than the usual wheeze). Then dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooown my favourite looooooooooooooooooooong road hill. It's about a mile long I reckon (at least 1k) and starts off steep and just keeps going and going. I love it. If only I could run like that always but now I'm back cycling to and from work it will nevr be as good again. Must go and buy sausages now. Laters.

• Options

Ostrich - you sound a bit perkier, must be all those calories! image

just dredged up another 10k sesh from my training log: 3x2M !! image - not quite sure what possessed me to try it (I have a note saying how tough it was, and I haven't done it since!), but I did knock a few seconds off my 10k PB at a race a week after doing it, so it can't've been a completely bad idea... 
    might try it again on Saturday (or stick to my 5x1M) <hmmmmmm>

• Options

Morning all!  I know I’ve been told I shouldn’t really post on here lol.

Just wanted to say I tip my hat to you all who do these intervals/reps.

Managed to get to Gym last night with PQ, and she suggested some 600m reps as suggested I think by M(?).  As my latest 5K time puts my 1K pace at about 3m56s, she stated I should aim for about 20secs/K faster.

Set treadie to 16Kph as a trial, so 3:45 pace.  That 3:45 pace would give me an 18:45 5K, perhaps a step too far.  Feck, was tough, seemed soooo much faster than running outside.  Intended to do 8 reps with 1 min recovery.  First 4 reps I managed that, however last 4 I was taking slightly longer recovery periods, up to 2 mins.  Did the 8 reps though so was quite happy!!!!!!

As my first ever go at reps like that I found it very hard.  However, may try some more in future if it will improve my PB. 

• Options

You did really well Daz especially as it was your first go at 'proper' speedwork ! image

I've been doing the 8 X 600s for a while now but last night I upped the speed and did 13.6 kph with 1 min recoveries. It was tough but managed the full 8 reps.

• Options

Morning!

Ow my feet hurt. Especially right heel and left ball of foot under little toe. That's what happens when you run properly. Or perhaps that's what happens when I run properly what with being a heavy heel striker. Those who saw me run at LFOTM did you notice my major heel striking propensity? Everything aches.

I hope Sharkie does come back. Not only is she the only sprinter on here thus being the best by default she is also the best in real life and thread life. Please come back!!!! Who else can I nod sagely with when talking about track related stuff? Come back!!!!!!!!! Please.

DazTheSlug you certainly do do some hardcore stuff. I really stop moaning about my lack of progress whan I don't actually do anything specifically aimed at 5k.

Daz1927 (what are the chances that the only two men on here are called Daz - high obviously) you are too goddamn fast - shoo! image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sharkie - You will get lots of pb's once the track season starts. So get back here right now.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

I don't think sharkie said she was leaving the thread, did she?

She's probably just busy with training, life and stuff...

Of course it would be lovely if she had time to drop in!

Long reps are definitely a Good Thing but I've never managed more than 5x1k myself. Moving up to 2k reps would doubtless help my 5k time.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Yes i am sure Sharkie is just busy with life and training she will be back.

If anyone has a book called running tough (Michael Sandrock)there are heaps of training ideas all split into sessions, base, hills, intervals etc although really taking sessions elite athletes do, but with ideas how you can modify them for us mere mortals

Went to the club tonight in my new shoes which are absolute brill, so light and comfy. 7.2 miles group leader was good telling us ahead of them whether to turn left or right etc for those not totally familiar with route. One uphill section which gets steeper halfway and goes on forever but wasn't that bad we had to pump our arms near the top but i enjoyed it. Perfect weather tonight, it was raining a bit. But i remembered the interview Paula gave after her win the Europeans in Munich a few years back. Means there is more oxygen in the air

Run took 73 minutes 67%WHR (max 79%) could have pushed it a bit more but it was well good.

• Options

Sounds like a good run there Pammie - I like the rain too, I always picture Paula splashing around the track, cranking out that 30min 10k image (is that the same Munich run?)

gonna stick to my 5x1M this weekend, hoping to do them at 7:50 pace <eek!>
    just come on with a sore throat, hope it doesn't develop into anything worse...image

• Options

Nice run Pammie, a bit of rain seems nothing now after all the gales we've had doesn't it.

Daz - good luck with the reps, hope the sore throat goes away !

I did a 7 mile tempo run this morning which went quite well. It means I won't be tempted to head off to the time trial again tomorrow as I wont race unless I have fresh legs (my rule is 2 clear days of no training before a race). Will probably attempt it again after Easter.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Daz - Yep that is the munich run, she was absolutely brill there Did a short, meant to be easy 4 miler today, planning on my last mega long run this weekend so don't want to wreck my legs

It was a weird run, glorious sunshine back in my shorts but legs felt frisky had to keep slowing myself down. avg 68%whr

Split time Avg. HR
    9:55 138 (65%)
    9:36 144 (69%)
    9:50 145 (69%)
    9:48 147 (71%) oops
    0:46 147 (71%)

I believe this is my first sub 10 min mile avg at under 70% - Well almost. Though it looks promising

• Options

PQ - I envy you for being so sensible. I find it almost impossible not to go to time trial every week. I ran well on Tuesday evening because I didn't do anything on Monday or Tuesday (no cycling to work, no other excercise). But usually I do 5 a side football on Monday (in goal so doesn't really count as exercise), Tuesday abs class and running club. Wednesday as class and stretching class, Thursday pilates (used to be 6 mile run and pilates), Friday nothing, Saturday time trial, Sunday 6 mile trail run. 6 mile cycle everyday except Sunday, more if I need to get to races. I think I do too much and possibly don't eat enough or rest enough the I wonder why I'm usually not as good as I feel I could be in races. Will this stop me doing so much though? No of course not. Je suis un buffon. For example tomorrow I am doing the time trial. I must as it is in reverse and thus much more suitable for my style of running. A short steep uphill follwed by a long downhill rather than the usual way. 6 mile Sport Relief race on Sunday. Will cycle to both events and comedy course as well.

Hmmmm, lack of paragraphs......

Sport Relief number is an A4 piece of cardboard to be worn landscape across the front. How the heck is that going to work unless one is the size of a large thing?

• Options

Daz - Have been reading up about your time trial image and see that you have to beware of Canada geese. I'm glad that I only have to contend with dogs and children at mine as I am rather scared of birds. Roll on 19th April I can't wait to see pictures of runners and geese in action!

Home time in 15 minutes. Yeha!