Options

Danger

I know I am going to be blasted for this, but over the last year or so with the advent of the mp3/ipod many runners have now invested in these.Running in the gym fine.Running on the road suicidal.
Also I have noticed many wearing these in races.It is hardly in the sprit of the sport.You don't see batsmen wearing them in cricket,rowers,cyclists any other sport so why road racing.

Comments

• Options
    Yes wearing them on a road does seem a bit foolish - although I suppose if you are running towards the traffic as we are generally supposed to it probably doesn't make much difference in most instances. I haven't got a problem with people wearing them in races or training on pavements, tracks etc which is what most runners do round here - though living in an urban area means you've no need to run on the road itself much.
  • Options
    Understand what you're saying guys but having just run 14 miles I could not have done it without my music, especially that last mile, it really keeps me going,
    I always try and run where are people around, vary my times when I run and never have my music too loud so I am aware of the environment around me.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I listen to books and have it at such a volume that I can hear everything else perfectly well, including birdsong - but I agree with you that having loud music in your ears and not being aware of your surroundings is a bit daft.
  • Options
    Quite apart from the obvious safety implications for the person wearing an iPod, these devices also seem to remove the ability to walk/run/cycle in a straight line ... thus posing a hazard to everyone else.

Everyone I know who admits to wearing one (and not popping off at anyone in particular here, honest!) swears blind that they are aware of their surroundings, that their music isn't too loud, etc. But every one I actually see doing it is blissfully unaware of their surroundings.

They should be banned at races on public safety grounds IMHO.
  • Options
    I agree that listening to music can increase the risk of accident but I still feel it needs to be put into perspective.

Road running in general, especially in built-up urban areas is an activity fraught with danger.

For example, how many of us, especially in the latter stages of a long run when legs are tired and vision/judgement is impaired have lurched across a road junction only to see someone in a car bearing down on us?

All I would say is .. lets be careful out there ....

• Options
    I think their use should be obligatory, just like mobile phones are for car drivers ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone just enjoy the running? Why do we have to have so many things going on at anyone time?
    Anyway I'd feel silly playing air guitar at the roadside.
  • Options
    You've obviously all seen specific examples of road safety issues or people being a nuisance which you attribute to head phones. I hope you haven't witnessed personal safety issues?

I wear them all the time if I run on my own and never if I run with company.

Personal safety - it's my choice. I dislike the view that women should restrict their activities based on criminal intent of others, however I do recognise others concern (my husband is with you on this) But it is MY choice.

Road safety - I am fully observant of all traffic ahead and beside me. I don't think hearing traffic behind me would enable me to decide whether it was about to hit me. I keep to pavements or tracks off road

Nuisance weaving - I am more aware of people I run past (walking no headphones) than they seem to be of my imminent overtaking.

I am rarely overtaken (can't remember the last time) and I run in quiet areas with not many people around so I don't believe I am causing a nusiance to anyone. I hardly meet anyone on foot, on my run.

I do take your points and I expect in different circumstances I might not wear them but in MY circumstances it's fine.
  • Options
    I wear mine all the time training or racing, if cycled I'd do the same.

My mp3 is also my mobile phone and in the FLM I use that to keep in touch with my large fan club who like to know where I am on the course, so they can make sure they see ME!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    If anyone knows where I can get a waterproof Ipod for my swimming training please tell me:-)
  • Options
    I posted a question about the rights and wrongs of wearing mine in tomorrow's race and got a right slating for suggesting it.

Someone (can't remember who) even suggested that I wasn't a proper runner if I needed the crutch of music while I ran.

I think if it works for you and doesn't interfere with everyone else then why not do what it takes to get round. I don't complain about people overtaking me then slowing down right in front, or spitting at me when they've not noticed I'm at their side. So it's not just MP3 wearers who aren't aware of their surroundings.

I train with my MP3 on, always look twice before crossing roads and like Mrs G-P (happy New year BTW) rarely take anyone by surprise while running.

I acknowledge I won't necessarily experience the "atmosphere" at tomorrow's race, but then on a cold February, I'm not expecting it to look like GNR or FLM. They won't be lining the streets 3 deep to cheer us on.

I do enjoy running, but find the beat I run to really helps when it's a struggle. It does on training runs so why would a race be different? When I'm feeling good, I barely hear it (only use 1 earphone anyway as my left one keeps falling out), but it's good to be able to focus on counting the beats when I would otherwise be focussing on the ache in my calf or stitch or how far up the hill I still have to go.

• Options
    I agree with Mrs Golden pig. I run with my dog (on a lead) and if anyone should be silly enough to try attack me they'd get more than they bargined for, Why can't I run without fear of being attacked. Its my choice to wear them. I don't play my music loud. I check at roads before I cross as the dog automatically slows and trys to sit. I wear them in races as I run on my own and the music spurs me on. I don't have it on load and I can take in the mood etc of the race. Its courses for horses here. HAve only been overtaken twice in 10 years and that is by the miserable git who never speaks or acknowledges my smiles waves or hello's. It semi drowns out the smart comments of if I had an a**e like that I'd run faster etc. So I continue to wear them I see more people running with MP's etc than without. Plus it is the only time I get to listen to MY music. Very rare event now since I had the baby to be able to listen to what I want.
  • Options
    here here Kwilter!!!
  • Options
    Hello, my name is TriesHard and I use an MP3 player (looks round nervously and sits as the other MP3 Anoymous group applaud).

But, I do only use one ear, and am very alert with the other ear to things that are going on around me, ie cars, people etc. I do use it at races, and always check behind before overtaking someone or stopping for a walk, so as not to get in anyone else's way. Now, my husband who sometimes runs with me just wanders around regardless!! I raced with him once and had to tell him to watch out for other people!! Whilst I was listening to my music!!

I'm not blasting you mangel, but don't put us all in the same bracket.
  • Options
    I run with one when i am out on my own.....but not with a group. If i am doing a hard session, it helps to keep me pushing hard, and if i am doing a long run, then the beat keeps my pace and stops me from getting bored. I went out ad did 15 miles with a small group last sunday. I was faster than them on the whole, so when i broke away and did an effort i would stick it on to keep my legs turning, then when i looped back for the others i took it off and chatted with them.....
    I run mostly on pavements, paths and trails, and often find pedestrians or stupid cyclists using the pavements much more of a hazard than my ipod makes me.....
    Mine has the nike+ attachment, and i like to hear my progress too......

I wear mine on my bike, but never when i am playing ice hockey!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly capable of running in a straight line when I'm wearing my i-pod.

Like Jj, I have it on a very low volume and can hear everything else going on around me. Sometimes I listen to talkikng podcasts rather than music.

I wore one in a recent half mara and the music beat really helped me to keep going. I was fully aware of what the marshalls were saying, unlike a group of 4 walking and gossiping women, not wearing mp3s, yet didn't take any notice of people asking them to move.

I'll continue to wear mine.
  • Options
    I always wear mine, makes the run feel so much easier especially the last few miles. As long as you are aware of your surroundings, I cant see why listening to music while running is a problem.
  • Options
    It's everyone's choice as to what they wear when running.

However, it's also everyone's responsibility to make sure they pose no danger to other road users. If you're listening to music in such a way that you end up getting run over then obviously: a) you're bloody stupid and b) you are not blameless.

I do remember someone being killed whilst cycling in West london not too long ago while listening to an ipod.

Additionally, it compromises your personal safety. Whilst no-one asks to be attacked, you wouldn't play golf in a thunderstorm and blame the weather when you got electrocuted.

But if you need music to help exercise, and it doesn't compromise your safety and you use it responsibly, I don't see a problem.
  • Options
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/
    ipod-blamed-for-aussie-death/2006/02/14/
    1139679557464.html
  • Options
    The article says that the fact that she was listening to an ipod was not a contributory factor in the accident.
  • Options
    The comment stated above by Kwilter39 that they were slated for suggesting it and 2 people suggested you were not a real runner is ridiculous, don't pay any attention.

I'm shocked that they would even say that considering we're all runners, its a very childish comment.

I use an Ipod when running and find it an invaluable component is my running. I even upload my runs to nikeplus.com so I can track and analyse.

I guess i'm not a real runner either then. :-)
  • Options
    "The article says that the fact that she was listening to an ipod was not a contributory factor in the accident."

No, it doesn't, there was no firm evidence either way.
  • Options
    Apologies, you are quite right. The article says that there is no statement by the police that she was wearing her ipod at the time of the accident and the police opinion (subject to investigation) is that she couldn't be seen by the truck driver's side mirrors and he might not have been aware of her presence when he was turning left.
  • Options
    I've a feeling I've read that in urban areas or possibly just in London being crushed by a large vehicle turning left is the most common cause of death for cyclists in collision with vehicles. When you consider that cycle lanes route cyclists up the inside of traffic at lights you'd think this might be more of a concern than whether she was wearing an ipod or not.

As for whether ipods are dangerous whilst cycling - probably as dangerous as listening to the radio in your car - they make you slightly less aware of sounds around you.
  • Options
    GD - search for the Swimp3
    ...you'll find it on advancedmp3players.co.uk
  • Options
    Hi Folks!
    quite new here,but i have to say, what happened to 'each to their own?' I am a relative newcomer to running and found that my ipod kept me going to start with! I have noticed an odd kind of snobbery on the matter of ipod use.I try to avoid using mine now on shorter runs. I would like to say that i'm too good to need something to take my mind off the boredom on long runs, but it just wouldn't be true!I stopped using it for a while, but found myself bored senseless doing some of my longer runs(training for my first marathon)and using music helps me stay focused. it probably stops me wandering into the road through sheer doziness. As a musician i also find choosing music at a suitable tempo helps me keep check on my pace/strides, helping me to avoid going off too fast to start with. I also appreciate the safety issue, and as a musician am especially concerned about hearing loss. most ipod wearing runners that i come across are not unaware of their surroundings. as a female runner in a built up area i'm highly aware of my surroundings at all times, and think most ipod users are grown up enough to decide what volume is safe.those that want to put their safety and hearing at risk are unlikely to listen to what anyone has to say to them anyway. another note on the safety issue...the only time i've ever been threatened was on an ipod free run with my club(mostly guys). a local gang of yobs decided, stupidly and obviously unsuccessfully, to run after us. so much for safety in numbers. I don't worry abput being a muggers target - there are so many other local runners with fancy watches and sat nav etc, i'm barely worth the bother, plus, they'd have to catch me!
    I'm ipod ambivalent and wouldn't stop running if i had to stop using it, but i really don't see the need to preach at other (hopefully mature and sensible) adults about the rights and wrongs of it. most people think through the implications before they head out.
  • Options
    "The 17-year-old had been listening to her Walkman while walking home when she was attacked."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,915137,00.html
  • Options
    Oy!

BEM Are you on a mission to terrify women!

Stop it.

Besides there are others listed as attacked including (gosh) men who weren't listening to their ipods/mp3.