Options

Danger

124»

Comments

• Options
    I listened to rage against the machine once when I cycled home and nearly gave myself internal bleeding - got a bit 'into it'...

• Options
    Wear an Ipod if you want to wear an Ipod - Huge "Doesn't anyone just enjoy the running" if I was only going out to run 21-30 miles per week over six days I guess I wouldnt need an ipod either. E woks mate - if hundreds of cyclists wear and ipod the law of averags says one will be killed at some point also i guess someone will also have a heart attack too is ipod responsible for that? I always wear ipod on my bike 3000miles per year. (car drivers have stereos) and when alone on a run I wear one also. You can hear whats going on around you and just because your listining to music it doesnt make you stupid and unaware or your surroundings. i always look when I'm crossing a junction. never been knocked down wearing Ipod.
  • Options
    The way people go on about their right to wear iPods in races drives me nuts. What did they do before iPods existed? It's only relatively recently that these things have got light enough to use for running.

For what it's worth, I think iPods are great, and I often use one for training runs -- particularly longer ones. But in races? No.

I've stated my opinion on this issue several times here, and I won't repeat all the arguments. But I will say that I'm getting fed up with the point people make along the lines of "someone bumped into me in a race once and he wasn't wearing an iPod, so what difference does it make?" That's a bit like the people who used to argue that because they knew of a non-smoker who had lung cancer, then 'obviously' smoking didn't cause cancer.

iPods on training = your decision.
    iPods in races = selfish, and should be banned.

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    I've just got back from a (trainng) walk in the woods and fields across bridleways and footpaths. I wore headphones (not earpieces) and listened to music, as I often do nowadays. I can also hear birdsong, and aircraft, the nearby motorway and horses hooves on the bridleways. My music has a strong beat, and th epleasure of listening does lift my spirits, which makes the exercise more fun, and it is helpful for pace myself. I do slip the headphones off if I meet someone and have a quick chat.

I'm not sure I would use one in a race though - too much else to think about and pay attention to.
  • Options
    RunningCommentary - the Sony Walkman was invented in 1979, so it's not that recent.

I've been running and racing since 1983, and I've been listening to music while training and racing for quite a lot of that time. You say "I've stated my opinion on this issue several times here" but I can only find one message from you on this thread, so I don't know what all your arguments are. Why you think racing with a personal music system (for your information an iPod is just a brand of MP3 player - I use a Sony MP3 player) is selfish I simply can't understand? Is it because you think we should all be able to hear you huffing and puffing as we pass you, rather than listening to Muse? Obviously any behaviour which adversely affects other people is reprehensible, but I can't think of a single possible result of using a music system that might adversely affect me as a runner. What gets my goat are people lining up in front of me who are obviously minutes a mile slower than me, around whom I have to weave. Now that's selfish.
  • Options
    MedalsMedals ✭✭✭
    Ho hum, why are people so judgemental? The world ain't going to stop turning just because some people like listening to music or whatever, when they're running. Races or not. Yeah, ok, if a race specifically bans Ipods then rules is rules. Otherwise, live and let live. I'm 43, quite old enough to decide by myself if I want to listen to the radio when I'm running, thank you.
  • Options
    "it's my choice. I dislike the view that women should restrict their activities based on criminal intent of others, however I do recognise others concern (my husband is with you on this) But it is MY choice."

Totally agree. Saying that women in particular shouldn't wear headphones sounds like another version of "she was asking for it" to me.

I listen to the radio or music 90% of the time when I train as it helps to relax and motivate me and I train alone. Like everyone else on here who uses a walkman/mp3 player, I do exercise some common sense about this. I ran my first 10-miler sans-phones because the route was on a country road without pavement and I realised that it wouldn't be safe. It felt harder than it otherwise might have done, but I'm guessing it would have felt hard anyway..

As a relative newbie to running (I've been training a while on my ownsome and am neither fast nor experienced) and occasional contributor to this forum, what really gets to me is the judgemental and exclusionary attitude of a minority of runners.

Most people here seem to be positive and encouraging but there always seems to be someone looking for a reason to "slam" someone for "not being a proper runner." It's a shame and doesn't say much for the mentality of runners.

For the record, I make the effort to nod and smile to other runners if I feel safe to do so, regardless of whether I've got my bins on. Does this accrue me any "proper runner" points?
  • Options
    Edward - I know that Walkmans have been around for a long time but it's only since these devices became so small and light and cheap (3 years?) that they've had mass appeal. I've noticed a massive increase in their use in the last couple of years among runners.

This subject has been discussed a lot in different threads, and I've posted on the subject several times.

More generally, I can't believe many people care what others do in training. If you want to listen to music (as I do), then it's up to the individual to make that decision.

But I do have an opinion about people using iPods (etc) in races because I get pissed off with them veering in front of me, totally unaware that I'm there. Yes, there are other sorts of selfishness in races (like running across others to reach a water station, and starting too near the front if you're relatively slow) and these need to be addressed too, but because they exist, it doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to another problem.

Trouble is, ipod racers agree that some users are careless, but never concede that they are the problem. It's always other people.

OJO - I'm not quite sure who you're responding to. Without re-reading the whole thread, I don't think anyone has talked about "real runners", whatever that means.

iPods are great -- I couldn't do without mine -- but in races they're a bad idea because they reduce awareness and cause collisions. Simple as that.
  • Options
    RunningCommentary - fair point, but I'm not here all the time so I must have missed your earlier posts on this matter.

I don't know how many races you run a year, or what type of race you tend to go for, or what part of the race you normally end up in (sharp end, midfield, back-a-da-pack) but my experience is that I've never had any problems at all with people in headphones - at least none that I could attribute to them wearing headphones. I guess I race about every two weeks, and have done for the last 25 years, so I'm not a complete newbie. But, as they say, YMMV.
  • Options
    Is this a comedy thread?

I'm not sure it's an issue worth getting so heated about.
  • Options
    I've just been reading the "what's hot on the forum this week" and one topic is hecklers. Here's what an ipod/MP3 player is good for:

I often run in the countryside, but when I work shifts I usually run in one of two public parks in my city. Both parks are full of runners. They are also full of hecklers, and they are really starting to wind me up. I am sick of being told to 'run f***ing faster' and other extremly rude things by pesky chavva teenagers, and to stop myself from hitting them, I crank my ipod up loud enough not to hear them. I sometimes run with the ipod on roads with a lot of traffic, but then I make sure I can hear background noises, and I am very aware of what's going on around me. The point is the Ipod has been a godsend for me - it cuts out the hecklers, so I can run whilst being totally ignorant of anything they say. Bliss!
  • Options
    I agree with Kitt, i used to run past an industrial estate and a building site in the mornings, and i never took my Mp3 player because I was running on country lanes with no pavements... so I had to put up with wolf-whistles and comments about do i give myself black eyes because of my chest blah blah blah... So whilst I can give as good as I get I like to be original (unlike these guys), so I succumbed to wearing my mp3 player. I always run towards oncoming traffic and it isn't so loud that I can't hear cars coming.. but I have the advantage of being able to crank up the volume to blot these unoriginal and really quite boring comments out!

Never worn mp3 player in a race though, I prefer to absorb the race atmosphere.. but each to their own!
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Edward, I occasionally marshal races and I've nearly had a runner get hit by a car because she couldn't hear my instructions. Train with headphones if you want but if you are going to wear them in a race please keep the volume low so you can hear the marshals, for your own safety.
  • Options
    Mister W - I completely take your point, but I also think that there's far too much "nannying" in society today. No-one seems willing to take responsibility for themselves; we've been infantilised by the media and the welfare state to such a degree that we're even having this discussion! I take the view that as adults we should be responsible for our own safety. I occasionally race in headphones, but only when I think it's safe (for example, at FLM, or other races where the roads are closed, or off-road, or quiet country routes). I don't "weave about", I'm aware of others around me, I don't line up way ahead of my ability at the start, I don't cut across to drink stations without first a) looking behind and b) indicating my change of direction by putting my arm out. I recently wore them at the Gloucester 20 (I hadn't read the race instructions - naughty me - where it said that iPods were banned. Of course, I don't have an iPod, I've got a Sony MP3 Walkman ;¬} so it didn't apply to me) and a marshall got right stroppy with me for wearing them. I was still able to hear him, though, and other instructions such as "keep to the left/right/whatever", and frankly at the age of 50 I'll damn well do as I please, if it doesn't directly affect anyone else. Not selfish, just fed up with being bossed around by my intellectual inferiors (not referring to anyone here, of course, I mean those bozos in Westminster).
  • Options
    Running Commentary - I thought I had seen that sentiment expressed on this thread, I've certainly seen it on this board. I don't particularly fancy trawling back either...
  • Options
    "I'll damn well do as I please, if it doesn't directly affect anyone else"

and there's the rub, Edward.

I agree with you.

I don't see much, if any, call for stopping people training with an MP3-type device, despite which, nearly all the posters are arguing in favour of using one for training. No problem. That's really not an issue. Up to the individual runner to gauge safety etc.

It's races that's the problem. This is where I've seen other people "directly affected" by iPod users, and this is what I've heard race organisers frequently complain about. It affects other people.

But a bit like bad drivers, we complain about them and agree that 'something should be done' but none of us ever admits to being one him/herself.

• Options
    OJO - if you have, it's rare. I'm a dedicated plodder, and with very few exceptions, find faster runners supportive and unpatronising. It's one of the things I like about running. I can take part in the same race as Paula Radcliffe, as I have several times. I was even overtaken by Haile Gebreselassie in a race once (as he lapped me).

Unless you p1ss people off, by starting too near the front of a race for instance, you shouldn't have any worries. Better to be doing some exercise than festering on the couch. GOod luck.
  • Options
    I like the idea of being overtaken by Haile Gebreselassie, it's about as close as I'd get to him too.

Perhaps I've just had the misfortune to lurk on some of the less well tempered threads on this board. In my limited real-life contact with faster runners they've always been fine.

Back on topic, I can see why wearing headphones might cause problems in a race - but if you alwaystrain with them, it's difficult to do without. The music becomes part of what you do when you run.
  • Options
    I have always run without music but have recently started training with the nike+ chip connected to my i-pod. As a lone runner l find it really boosts my motivation; counting off the km and telling me my pace per km along the way. I keep the music low so that l can still hear all around me - and wait with excited anticipation to see how far/fast l've managed. Really gives you a boost when you're feeling tired and there's a short-cut to home on the horizon!
  • Options
    Ive only been running for 2 months and cannot personally imagine running without my IPOD on ( although in the GB 10k my first race Im planning on running without it ) never really thought about my enviroment and I hate to admit but I have it up full volume and cannot hear a bleedin thing ! something I may give some thought to , all mine is pavement running but i do double check at roads etc

• Options
    Can we differentiate between training with an iPod, and racing with an iPod?

Perhaps someone earlier in the thread objected to people trianing with an iPod, sorry if I missed that message. But I think very very few people care if people train with an iPod or not. I use an iPod in training, and enjoy it.

The big issue is using iPods in races. I did the Oxford 10K today, and I can't tell you how many iPod zombies there were in this race. must have been hundreds. A total of 3-4,000 prople running round urban, often narrow streets. Using an iPod in this situation is madness. I saw several things today that just confirmed what I've said so far on this thread. It's just not acceptable.

Here's a message I received on my website today from an Australian friend:

Actually, your warning about running with an ipod was almost bizarrely rammed home today, with one guy nearly run over by of all things, an ambulance. Unfortunately for him, he stopped for a walk right in the middle of the road, blissfully unaware of the ambulance right on his heels and the rest of the crowd peeling away to let it pass. Just as well the ambo driver had spotted the earpieces and hit the brakes.

(Ref:)
    http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=11738&postcount=29

• Options
    Having started this thread(I often play devils advocate).Having read some intelligent debates on this subject,especially from Edward and Running commentary,I have mellowed with my views.But I still think that mp3's should be discouraged from races.
  • Options
    We've made up now.... and you've gone and spoiled it!
  • Options
    Sure we will agree to disagree on further threads.
  • Options
    I've only recently acquired an MP3 player to use on my long runs which are solo. (had got up to 14 miles without one). It definitely helped on last weeks 18 miles but I'm not using it for general runs and no waywould I use it in a race. I've never understood why people feel the need to do this, there's plenty to focus on without music.
  • Options
    Hi folks this is my first thread and boy oh boy is this hot debate, let me just start with the fact that ive not been running long no more than three weeks but ive been coming on leaps and bounds but let me make this clear it would not have been as interesting or intensive without the use of my + equipment, you know what i mean, and observing races yes there are many "IPOD ZOMBIES" out there but the MAJORITY of us know that maintaining a sensible volume is as critical as maintaining your own personal rythm, for many of us the beat of the music keeps us going for as long as it is there and to me that is key to build upon as my mind is'nt strong enough to take me the distance yet but the music is, so please don't write off the ipod users yet just promote SENSIBLE USE WHETHER IN RACE OR TRAINING CONDITIONS!!
  • Options
    Not bothered in training - up to the individual.

In races, I'd ban them though. You aren't allowed them in Ironman marathons and people seem to make it through those, so why the hell do you 'need' it for a 10k ?

It's like a comforter and because there are stupid people out there who dont realise what a sensible level is, I'd happily ban them for races.
  • Options
    I used an Ipod for a training run yesterday and two things occurred to me during it:

1 When I was running across the fields I was blanking out the sound of mother nature, which didn't seem right

2 When I got to the street section of the run I felt more nervous about being hit by something, and was much more wary.

For instance, running across people's drives I was very watchful as I knew I couldn't hear cars pulling out as well as I normally would.

Ipod trainers who don't admit this are either truly oblivious to the impact of running with music on (not good) or are being a teensy disingenuous.

However I cannot deny that wearing my Ipod made the run pass by more pleasantly, so it seems to me it is all down to balancing the risks - we are all adults.

In races, should they be banned - well no.

But I would never wear one in a race. You frequently see people lined up at the start of a race with headphones in and they seem quite detached from the chatter and fun going on.

The headphones also rather seem to say "Listening to music, don't bother me". Runners - you may not think it means that at all but it does!

As we are all sociable animals I think this is also one of the reasons why non-Ipod wearers get antsy about runners wearing them in races.

Just my tuppence on the argument. This is a recurring argument on the RW forum and people have entrenched positions on this issue like no other (except possibly cars vs cyclists - see last nights thread).

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I vary the use of my ipod - because i am wary of the threats that are around when i run in the city (cars/ traffic etc). But when it comes to the heckling i find it more motivating to have my music on loud that listen to "fat arse - keep moving" or "keep on running" being sung to me.

I realise the dangers and normally wont wear headphones but i know the benefit and especially if i'm running alone - i want to have something to keep me company.
  • Options
    Just to add in defence of the nike+ users, it is possible to select "no music" whilst using the ipod to record your distance/pace etc.

I often wear one earpiece with no music, so that l can hear the electronic voice counting off the km on a long run. You get the benefits of motivation without the potential distraction of the music.

I agree that in race conditions, there should be enough going on around you to keep you on track without having to rely on pumping music.