Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options

Morning all!

Been lurking around this forum for a while now, enjoying all the jokes, especially the emoticons.

Best of luck to those of you doing the Great Langdale in a couple of weeks' time - any hints on recovery strategies most welcome as I'm doing the Clarendon Way on the 30th. Headcase!

Luna: I have the opposite problem: living in the Worcestershire alps, I have a shortage of flats to do tempo runs etc., so I find training at pace e.g. for a 10k, difficult! As I see it there are two answers. The wimp's answer is add 10% to the flat route. Makes you feel as if you're doing smthg without going too far out of your comfort zone. The tough answer is that if the race includes hills, then you need to practice hills. The fun bit is that running downhill is just as important as puffing your way uphill. Take lots of water with you though...  

Hope that it's a tolerably image day for all, and not too sore or image from long runs/long shifts over the weekend

• Options

Wharfedale plodder & CD: 
    The Black Mountains are in S. Wales, a really stunning area by Abergavenny, just before the Brecon Beacons. I've only ever walked there, but on the last walk just noticed how good the paths were, and how flat up top - there are about five ridges, each at least 5 miles long. If it's sunny it'll be a killer, and if it rains, the peat will suck me in. As an out-and-out flat country townie, I'm beginning to think this weekend training run is going to be a much tougher challenge than the actual marathon image

Ru:
    Downhills - I should enjoy them, but I used to get bad quads just walking downhill in the Black Mountains, so I've been working on them by cycling hard! I don't mind going uphill at all really, but am always overtaken in races going downhill. Bizarre. 

• Options
    I Managed another 18 miler this weekend in just under 3 hours which isn't going to break any records but at least it's another long run over. I have one question to ask someone in the know please don't think me really stupid but what are kenyan hills and should I have got to this stage in my running career and not know?
  • Options
    NG - find a hill and run up and down it for say 15 or 20 minutes at the same speed.  i think collie dave does either 20 seconds up or 200 meters up ... i've got a honking great hill outside my door which is about 1.5k so i do this, although only manage three ... it really tests my endurance but does make hills easier.  i do one session a week at least.
  • Options
    Thanks b-oing I'm sorry I asked now
  • Options

ng - that running you did is good, nothing to be sniffed at

i first encountered kh's on a runners world marathon camp. as b-oing said its about running hills in a steady state - holding your heart rate around 80-85%. so the length of the hill will be dependent on that and as your heart rate goes higher than that start to shorten your hill. if you don't have a hrm as a rule of thumb your effort level should allow you to say just a couple of words and no more, like 'sod this' for example. your downhill should be 'pacy' not just a jog.

we tend to do them off road and start with ups that last up to 1min 45secs (the downs tend to be quicker as your maintaining the effort but going downhill) but then shorten slightly as we tire. try doing a 10min session in total to start and build up to say 20-25mins if you can.

they're hard work but as with all running it's worth it

and they don't do the kenyans any harm do they?!

hope this helps.

• Options

Thanks CD I will try them because I do like a new challenge and as you say it doesnt do the Kenyans any harm.

• Options
    maybe because we just don't hear from the ones it DOES harm ? image
  • Options
    why not try them out on your black mountain trip luna! go on you know you want to. image
  • Options
    i'll let you know how i get on (if the hospital has internet access image).
  • Options
    Nurse G - I'd be over the moon with 18 miles in under 3 hours! Well we're not going to be seeing you at the back! image
  • Options

afternoon all.

managed a hilly and sandy 21 miles yesterday, of which about 14 was on sand or dunes. Finished it in 1 piece, although had lots of stings from nettles, and one hell of a chaff mark where i'd been too conservative with the bodyglide!  however, that has taken away the pain of aching legs!

gave me a lot of confidence, and now in a lot better frame of mind for snowdon. i have no time target as such, but would think about 4-30 should be do-able. did my 21 in 3-15.

keep up the good [and not so good] jokes - always raises a smile on this threadimage

• Options
    that's good going too mr phil - think sand dunes must be the hardest (and softest) surface to run on
  • Options

Sounds like everyone is going further than me!! Only managed 16 miles yesterday, however as I did 16 mile on Tuesday as well I'm not too worried........

Also, starting a 16 mile run at 8pm and running in the dark for a couple of hours is quite good mental preparation for being totally bored out of your mind!! 

Hopefully an hour and a half of 5-aside football tonight should help loosen my legs?!

• Options
    Davemac my programme only said 16-18 but I thought sinc I'd missed a couple of weeks on holiday I would go for the higher milage. Well done Mr Phil on your weekend run good time for such a tough surface. Toomuch I,m sure you will see me at the back I like to start slow and then go even slower towards the end. I'm sure I'll see you there. I am waiting for you to make an executive decision about what we are going to wear so that we can identify each other.I eagerly await your next mail
  • Options

My recent training: http://www.ianandrewdoyle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/plan.html

I've done a fair bit of hilly running routes lately, so hopefully should be good for Langdale and Snowdonia!

GULP!

• Options
    Sinatra I dont know how you can contemplate 2 tough marathons so close together I'm doing the half at gt Langdale and after what Collie dave said I'm frightened about that. I guess if you do the training there's nothing to fear. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck anyway. 
  • Options

NG ... we should all wear yellow ribbons in our hair!

• Options

but i've no hair to attach a ribbon to image 

• Options
    CD   Maybe  we could think of somewhere you could attach the ribbon too image!!!!  Mr p that must have been a tough run,well done ,i did 20 and  added a few  extra hills in and actually felt great when i got home but these hills im talking about are probably a breeze in the park compared to some of what you folks do!!I really think im going to struggle  with this one image!!Only 8 weeks to go!!!!!
  • Options

Executive decision?  Ooo yikes - now there's a responsibility!  Erm erm I'll probably be in a "beating bowel cancer" red vest and some tights!  After that I'm a bit stuffed.. image   I guess we could do the yellow ribbon thing with a safety pin on your top - I'm expecting not to have much hair by then either, as if I ever get hold my hairdresser about 2 foot of it is coming off!

Talking of clothing.. what's the best option - is a jacket too much?  I quite like mine when its peeing down and there is always lots of pocket room. 

• Options

Just found the smileys image  - wondered where everyone was getting them from.  How dumb am I not to notice.... image

Found the courage to weigh myself after hols - put four hard earned lost pounds back on, oh dear.... image back on the special K bar for brekky, apple for lunch and 9 miles for tea...

• Options

Just found the smileys image  - wondered where everyone was getting them from.  How dumb am I not to notice.... image

Found the courage to weigh myself after hols - put four hard earned lost pounds back on, oh dear.... image back on the special K bar for brekky, apple for lunch and 9 miles for tea...

• Options
    I guess I should have waited instead of hitting the submit button again.... image
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Toomuch, I reckon tht a jacket would be toomuch (see what I did there?) image Always a t-shift for me, I just get too sweaty!

God, Im only away for a day and the postings go up by 30 with everyone's fantastic long run stats! I feel ashamed now image

I vote that we all chip in and buy dave a toupee, Im sure he'd look dapper!

I myself will prpbably be going for the swanky new shorts that Ive just brought and a white or blue adidas climalite t-shirt.

So how many are staying for the sociable beverages after? Am i going to be stood up and left propping the bar up by myself?

• Options

Ah, Paul, the crucial question: where to "rehydrate"?

Can anyone with local knowledge recommend a good hostelry... preferably one that is suitable for SS (Short Stuff) as well as SO to hide in while it rains?

• Options

image PaulF..  to jacket or not to jacket!  I can always tie it around my waist.. 5 hours is a long time out on the hills without some sort of protection from the weather. 

I know though if I slow down at some point and its windy I'll get chilled which isn't nice.. image

On that note - I'm off to bed. Night y'all.

• Options
    i'll be up for the beer - i think i'll have earnt several, and last mara i did [in magaluff] i did 26.2 pints until finally staggering to bed about 4-30am - so i have history!!!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sounds like everyone's training seems to be going OK.  Just back from a bit of crosstraining -  backpacking on the the SW Coast Path.  Was surprised to find that the 50 miles or so from Minehead to Woolacombe involved 15 000' of ascent.  Must try running it some time.  Breathtakingly scenic.

Anyone else on here doing High Peak Challenge on 15 Sep?

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Did you say 26.2 pints Phil? My god Id be in intensive care after just 15! You are officially a beer monster!!! image

There is the 'social' that is being put on at the electric mountain, but im not sure how good that will be. There must be loads of little pubs in the centre of llanberis that we could take over?

T-Rex, i did a some running along the very same trails a few weeks ago. Fantastic area. There is actually a 3 day race that used the coastal path which I believe is in in June. sounds very pleasant.

Right off to work now, but driving in today as I felt utterly crap on the run in yesterday morning! Isnt it strange how just some days you're not up for it?

Just before I leave...

An older, white haired man walked into a jewelery store one Friday evening with a beautiful young gal at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend.

The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a £5,000 ring and showed it to him. The old man said, "I don't think you understand, I want something very special."

At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another ring over. "Here's a stunning ring at only £40,000," the jeweler said.
    The young lady's eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. The old man seeing this said, "We'll take it."

The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the old man stated, by cheque. "I know you need to make sure my cheque is good, so I'll write it now and you can call the bank Monday to verify the funds and I'll pick the ring up Monday afternoon," he said.

Monday morning, a very pissed-off jeweler phoned the old man. "There's no money in that account."

"I know", said the old man, "but can you imagine the weekend I had?"