Options

The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Ultra 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi Charlotte, sorry, cross posting there... good on you doing all three days - I did fancy it, but the expense of other races got in the way, so one day will have to suffice this year!

• Options

This 3 dayer seems to be better value than the 3 day Atlantic and Jurrassic Coast Challenge series run by Votvo (I think). They charge £150 to run, but you still have to pay for your accomodation on top of that.

• Options

Hi Charlotte - done Ridgeway 40 x5 times.  Lovely event!  All the best for Druids!

• Options

I have heard that snoring can be an issue at overnight events? Besides a double JD or inserting a mattress into ones ear, does anyone have any tried & tested solutions. "Bring a baseball bat" is not a satifactory answer image

• Options

For the record.... I have never heard myself snore

• Options

julian , i am doing day 1 only therefore hopefully will NOT hear your snoring as i will be 25miles away in my own bed;)

• Options

hopefully everyone staying overnight during druids will be too shattered from running to hear any snores

• Options
  • Options
    Earplugs, I use them for camping all the time... Use the soft squishy foam ones as they're more comfy
  • Options

Bear, I enjoyed the Ridgeway 40 this year and will probably do it again next year as part of my 40th birthday celebrations!

snoring - apparently I only snore when I get really tired, so night number two someone may need to give me a kick!

• Options

anyone done any Ridgeway training to date?

• Options

Have been doing quite a bit of hill training in and am also doing the Vanguard Way then Beachy Head so that is my training for Druids - don't worry I'll still be the Bear behind you image.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Just lurking.  I do like the Ridgeway but I've only done the TRA full-length ultra which I've managed to complete three times but only 83/85 of it this year image.  So I know the course but I've no idea how much harder it must be doing it faster stages, and recovering ready for the next day. Good luck with it, and I'll read the reports!

• Options
    T Rex - will be picking your brains next year then as the TRA one is our target for 2013!
  • Options

I want to do this too, but haven't entered yet as Ive got a persistent bout of plantar fasciitis – bloody annoying, but hoping it’ll clear up enough so I have a good month to train towards this.  I live locally and it’s a nice trail.  So who’s in for it? Training going well?

• Options

hi James, which day are you doing ? or all 3? im doing day 1..training run on saturday looking to be a good oneimage you?

• Options

Hey Loulabell, I'm hoping to do all 3, but who knows...may end up doing 2.  Are you local?  I live near where the third day finishes and don't know the first half well at all - are you doing a few recce's over the next few weeks? 

• Options

im going to North downs Saturday to do 25-30miles..but have done the pirnces Ris to grims ditch section and few weeks back did Wantage to Avebury bit , is that where you are near? that was wuite a flat section i thought. i havnt done the Ivinghoe forst section which is daft because thats the day im doing !! haha..its the hillier part i think.

• Options

Oh nice - I did the NDW100 this year and hadn't recce'd much of the course.  It's a lovely trail though before and after the section within the M25.  Hoping i can squeeze in the NDW50 next year, or the SDW50.

Yes, I live about 5 miles from Avebury so it's easy to get onto the Ridgeway.  You're right, I'd only class it as "undulating" rather than hilly. Most of the hills you can run up without blowing up, but yeah I've heard the other end is much hillier.  I'm hoping to get up to the Ivinghoe section in the next month or so (as long as the plantar fasciitis clears up quick!), if you want to recce a section on morning / afternoon.

Still haven't entered yet as I'm giving it a couple more days to make sure the foot heals first.  I'm doing lots of cross training and, with the glorious weather we're having, I can't say I'm utterly devastated not to be running outside!!

• Options

James I hope the plantar fascitis clears up quickly and you will be able to do this one. I will be doing all 3 days. I too have only run this end of the Ridgeway ( live in Newbury) not sure if I will be able to get out on to the Ridgeway to train again before the event, though most of my running is done off road. My last long run will be the Abingdon marathon on the 21st.

Loulabell - have a good run on Saturday!

• Options

James I hope the plantar fascitis clears up quickly and you will be able to do this one. I will be doing all 3 days. I too have only run this end of the Ridgeway ( live in Newbury) not sure if I will be able to get out on to the Ridgeway to train again before the event, though most of my running is done off road. My last long run will be the Abingdon marathon on the 21st.

Hi Charlotte, thanks I hope so too!  It looks like a cracking race and I’d love to be there to do all 3.  Hopefully I’ll be able to recce some of the first day over the next month but if not c’est la vie!  I’ll let you know if / when I do head up there and you can always join but sounds like you’re all sorted and well planned already.  Good luck at Abingdon – have you a time you’re chasing?!

Enjoy Saturday Loula!

• Options

james, i did NDW50 this year and loved it! thats why im going back Saturday as i plan to run quite a bit there over winter. am entering NDW50 again for May, would like to do SDW50 in April too and will do NDW100 in 2014. want to do Ridge85 next Aug as a build up to NDW100.......oh and see you at Abingdon-im No2image

• Options

yes i would like to recce the Ivinghoe section

• Options

oh and see you as well  at Abingdon Charlotte!! what are your race numbers and i will look out for you both image

• Options
    Charlotte - see you at Abingdon image

Lou - I think we're running out of time to recce Ivinghoe lol!!
  • Options

ultrarocker - nah plenty of time to recce yet!

loulabell - i think i've been a bit special and accidentally copied Charlotte's post into mine!  ha.  i'm not doing abingdon, but Charlotte is apparently.  will let you know if i plan on heading up ivinghoe way over the next few weeks.

the NDW is awesome, love that trail.  would like to get to the 50 next year....i do everything backwards - 100 down to 50....i'll aim for a marathon in 2014!

• Options

Hi all,

My Abingdon number is 469. My marathon p.b is 3.39, so I would like to break this, but we will see on the day! I have Cricklade half this weekend to look forward to.

• Options

james, that was clever!! haha! and as usual i didnt read it all properly and just read it as that you were doing Abingdon -oops!

erm, yes there is still a bit of time to recce Ivinghoe i guess..either last weekend of Oct or first weekend of Nov

• Options
    So you want to recce it 5 days before we race it??
  • Options

erm..could do????