Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Very busy in J household at the mo. so just a quick update to congratulate you guys on some brilliant racing. Last two weekends have been awesome!

2old, brilliant on the sub 3:10!!!

Minni, nice PB! and Cooks as well. Super times!

Freemers, nice way to go under 1:40 image

Daren, brilliant time as well!

Just had a good 12 miler over the Downs this afternoon, couldn't waste all that lovely sunshine. Not quite in the same league as you racers, but enjoyable all the same!

• Options

2old -   Massive congrats that is a great effort, you must be v happy, 4 weeks ago you were worried you might not run it then you get a PB.image Enjoy the thread PB for a few more weeks cause I predict a certain runner might go better at Valencia. Speaking of which.

Cooks -  That is quick on a difficult course, great running and congrats on the PB.image.

Daren -  Broke sub 1:30 by a big amount, well done and congrats on the PB, very impressive racing.image

Minni -  Well done on the PB, the thread just gets quicker and quicker.image

Freemers -  A comfortable 1:36 you are on for a very good time at TM especially with Minni pacing you.

O4S -  Did n't see you at Swindon, shouted hello Shirley at one runner who I thought was you but just got a strange look.

• Options
    Brilliant run Cooks! Another amazing time.

Well according to the official results I ran a PW of 1:59! Got my race number wrong by 1! Meanwhile Neil Flack, whoever he is, is revelling in a new half hour PB! Grrrrrrr. I have emailed them so hopefully they'll sort it soon. For the record my/Neil's chip time was 1:27:46 so I lost a second.

I'll do a report tomorrow but very pleased with how today went - apart from nearly regretting wearing racing flats when I had calf cramps for the last few miles, it felt like the most comfortable half I've raced yet, and even managed about a 25 sec negative split which is unheard of for me!

Was great to meet up with the gang too!
  • Options
    Daren - that is pretty funny image

They gave me an extra 2 seconds on my chip time - 1.36.02. Still happy image

Got home to find we have no wine in the house...not so happy about thatimage
  • Options
    Sorry, missed cooks' result there - brilliant image
  • Options
    I'm finding it less funny Freemers! That's the second time this year I've ran a milestone PB in a race and they've cocked up the result - is it just coincidence that both were council-run rather than organised by a running club? I'll get over it image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol Daren, I believe your time since you'd definitely finished well ahead of me. Talking of which, they've given me 15 bloody seconds! How does that work!
  • Options

image  First W60 by an Irish mile or two!  Guess it will be vouchers rather than bling, but I'm not complaining.  I'll do a report later - but the big news is that I had a Eureka moment today.  I realised that a) there is simply no point worrying about my times anymore b) I love competing even if my times are rubbish c) if you are enjoying yourself nothing else matters d) I should never let Mr O4S near my pasta saucepan, especially when he is mixing a solution for waterproofing the cycling jackets image [More of this later]

Congratulations one and all - sounds like a good day for the forum again.  2old - how do you do that [or are you really 2young?].

Minni - 2 seconds is 2 seconds and gives you a better chance of breaking it again!

Daren / Cooks - juvenile delinquents both of you!!

Freemers - great comeback, but what have you done with Spoons?

FYI:  Barry B really is a small yellow bird image

Laters.................

• Options

Wow, super Sunday indeed imageimageimage.

2Old, fantastic especially since your build up was far from problem free. You really might need to change your forum name.

Darren, you smashed that 1:30, briIlliant, and Cooks has given you a new target to chase image. Is that a new blue from Cooks? Fantastic as well image.

Forever, nice work getting a sub 1:30 for the girls.

Minni, how frustrating on the 15 secs, but really well done on the PB/near-PB.

Freemers, it's looking really good for TM for you.

O4S, first W60 suggests that even if your times are rubbish by your standards they are great by everyone elses. Congrats on the win!

• Options

Here I am! Just finished. Took a little bit longer than expected. Think I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. 1:39:53. Happy enough with that. Gives me something to build on....

2old / Cooks - awesome, fantastic times, well done

O4S - well done on the 1st W60

For the record, Daren is lying. He did 1:59. Neil ran a brilliant race though.

Great to meet up with the crew for my favourite things, beer, pizza & running talk image

• Options
    O4S - you are a superwoman. Glad you enjoyed today. And well done in your bling image

Cooks - amazing. Daren...something to aim for in Norwich now! Seriously, cooks you are well on track for Valencia now image

Daren - we need real proof now of your results haha!!

Minni - go on your time...obviously!

Did you guys kill off Spoons in Peterborough??? He's still rubbing hey?!
  • Options
    Xpost spoons. That's a bit shit but never mindimage
  • Options
    A.A. wrote (see)
     That's a bit shit but never mind

Er thanks AA....

• Options

Obviously I had to look in again to see what you were all saying image but ......must not become a forum addict again...image....so after today will pop in randomly to see how you are all doing...

Daren I would have been gutted if my result had been shown wrong. Hope they sort it pronto.

Just for the records Daren was chilling with a banana by the time I'd finished image

Minni Iooking forward to seeing how you get on at Town Moor. Fingers crossed the weather is kind.

Sometimes it pays not to stop your watch on the line as my official time is 1.28.28. which was a nice surprise, just over 8 minutes faster than my pb there last year. Still buzzing image

Wow Cooks very speedy! Good running!

O4S I agree running should be enjoyed in whatever way we please.

• Options

Some brilliant results today image

2old I'm so pleased everything came together for you today, you've done so well image

I knew I should have put a fiver on Daren running 1:27 image That's fantastic, over the moon for you.  Hard work has certainly paid off, really well done.  Neil Flack will be delighted when he checks the results image

Well done on your PB Minni, 1:32 is a damn hard time to run so to have done it again is brilliant.  That course record is going to get a battering in two weeks I'm sure.  15 seconds?!  I'd be furious! image

Nothing like smashing a goal eh Freemers? That should be a massive confidence boost before TM.

Spoons we all know if you'd have stuck to the course instead of getting lost halfway round you've have left Daren for dust.  It was probably him who moved all those cones to send you the wrong way. Well done, happy that you're happy image

Cooks - good work making sure you held onto that blue!

O4S - you needed a Eureka moment, you've been so harsh on yourself for too long.  And your times are NOT rubbish, I can't imagine you actually pay for much running gear what with all the vouchers you win!  We've told you before, you're an inspiration and your WAVA scores blow us all out of the water.

Forever - image How fast?! 

Well I ran a whole six miles today at a blistering 8:35mm pace, it had been sunny all morning so headed out and it started absolutely tonking down after a mile.  I was soaked to the skin.  Typical.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

O4S - you are a legend. image

Carrot - I'm getting a bit sick of running that time now though!  However, I'm still always chuffed each time I do.

Forever - I'm not going to lure you back into the dark world of forums but seriously I'd love to know more about your training.  You really are awesome and it was lovely to see you so happy with your performance today.  I want to be you!

2old - can't wait to hear all the details of your marathon.

Anyone heard from Brolish today?  I think she was drinking yesterday.  Lying in a gutter somewhere I expect! image

I've had a great weekend both on and off the forum.  I image my running friends!

• Options

I had a fab day too Minni image

• Options

Do you know Brass Monkey entries open 7am on Saturday 20th Minni? A chance to set off in the dark in the middle of the night to travel halfway down the country from where you are to obliterate that 1:32 image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Mini Team...

/members/images/46278/Gallery/GER.jpg

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes Carrot - I'll be entering.  You too?

• Options

Thanks BecsA and Carrot. I was pretty sure I could run sub 1.30 but didn't expect to be quite as fast, which is always nice.

Have you seen the RunPix stats for today? Always interesting.

Minni my training is simple. Train during the week depending on how I feel and race every weekend but take most of the results with a pinch of salt. Have a few key races along the way to target.

I did spend a whole year base building (around 3000 slow/easy miles) when I first started back running and saw very little reward at the time but feel that really is the backbone of what is happening now.

Keep up the good work all and look forward to hearing about the Town Moor adventure!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Right, so I need to run 3000 miles in November then race every weekend!

• Options

x-post I was wearing shorts honest!

• Options

You've probably already got a huge base Minni because you've been running for so long. Just the races then.....image

• Options

Hmmm, Daren did all those slow easy miles when he was HADD-ing.  Maybe there's something in it!  3000 a year must have been a high weekly mileage. 

Yes will be there again Minni, the last two years we've taken Parsnip's parents and gone out for dinner afterwards.  His Mam seems to like all the men in shorts (and tights)

• Options

Nice pink trainers Forever! Those race tshirts are always like tents image

• Options
    I'm not sure what i think about slow easy miles now. I've averaged about 20-25 miles a week since May! I do know it was boring as hell and I much prefer how I'm training at the moment.
  • Options

So - short race report before I keel over from the wine!  Glad to hear the team [minus Daren] were having a warm up for the TM.

Woke this morning to sore throat, headache, tickly cough and bunged nose, which is an occupational hazard at the start of a new Uni term - the dreaded Freshers Flu.  We both also had dodgy stomachs due [at least in my opinion] to the unorthodox use of the pasta saucepan by Mr O4S, which he strangely forgot to mention to me until this morning image

Swindon is a toughish course, when it is not undulating it is hilly and when it stops being hilly it is mountainous!  I usually reckon 2-3 minutes slower than Bristol, so having done a crap time at Bristol [1.49] I wanted to equal it at Swindon, which would be an improvement.  Given how I felt this morning I amended this to sub 2 hours and not having to walk image

I wore the garmin but decided not to look at it but try to run at constant perceived effort, so that I wouldn't panic when the uphills were slow and the downhills fast.  This worked remarkably well and I was soon in a rhythm that felt equal paced all the way, but in fact varied from 6.59mm to 8.45mm depending on the gradients.  For the first time in ages the miles flew past and I was able to look around and admire the fantastic views from the top of the highest hill [we got a mile or so flatish before it went back down.  Even the horrid uphill drag from 11.5 - 12.5 didn't seem too bad and I actually had something left in the tank.

My garmin squeaked 13 miles at the sign saying 400m to go and we plunged downhill [the hill we had had to come up from the start] where I was passed by a few macho blokes who had been huffing and puffing up the hills, but had plenty of body mass to propel them downhill image

Finished in 1.47.xx - about 2 minutes faster than Bristol, average pace 8.10mm and felt great - we even walked for 2 hours in a country park on the way home.  Mr O4S got his come-uppance for the waterproofing incident by having to stop at 11 miles at the last en route loo - the time he allegedly lost there has been getting longer all afternoon!!

I was pleased to win the W60 but having looked at the results I realise I could have stopped for a 3 course lunch at one of the pubs and still have won.  However I would have been 3rd W50 and 7th W40 had I not been so old image

Before my eureka moment I was seriously considering ducking out of the forum for a while so I didn't get even more depressed by all the fantastic times people are posting - but in the end thought I should continue to prove what is possible with minimal training, a frontal lobotomy and a Government pension.

Footnote:  our only soup spoon has just been discovered in the garage where apparently it was being used for something involving engine oil image

• Options

Morning

Cooks / Darren / Forever fantastic runs and PB's, you guys are seriously speedy these days

Minni Does the 15 seconds mean you don't have a 2 second PB? Confused.

Spoons: Solid run, would have been considered speedy when this thread started.

Freemers: Even better solid run, and finishing in front of spoons as usualimage

2Old: The performance of the day, that is an amazing time says one old git to anotherimage Gives me hope that there may be one more Marathon PB left in this old carcass.

O4S: Don't you dare ever stop posting here, sounds as if you need to but some new kitchen utensils. Nice run.

I had a nice ride across the desert before dawn, the weather is getting seriously NICEimage, May run tonight but left calf tight, will see how it feels.