Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

TE - congratulations on 2nd in category, - was the first much ahead of you? 

Red - you are neither aging nor ailing, - you have allergies. One can have allergies at any age.

Brother going back to the Sarf-East  tomorrow. He will take me with him and drop me off at some point convenient both to the M25 and to a railway line for Balham, where I shall be spending a few days with Elder Daughter, S-i-L and granddaughter. Hope to manage a run on Wandsworth Common. Then on Saturday I come home by train, or rather not home but to Ludlow where I have left my car being MOT-ed. Dependent on daughter's i-pad for emails, and don't like to hog it too much, so may not be contributing until after I get back.

• Options

Thanks Red and Columba. The first in my category was about 4 minutes ahead of me.

Red, I hope your new medication works.

• Options

JJ - a dog menu? Good grief! Probably not for my dogs - Nemo can only eat ostrich, horse, venison, or fish. Charly at the mo gets ground beef with fruit for brekky, beef and veg for dinner. Not carrots though - bad for his white fur!

• Options

Being my normal optimistic self, as well as the Kaiserslautern Olympic triathlon in June I've just entered the Vichy Half-Ironman, France (1 September).

• Options

JJ thanks. The runner who beat me runs for Salisbury Running Club, so I will look out for him in future races, assuming, of course, that the list of entrants is available before hand.

BIW, best of luck for the races you have entered.

• Options

TE, a belated well done from me as well.

For me there just is'nt enough hours in the day to get everything in, this working full time caper is going to have to go!

I've got both son and daughter buying new houses, so the pair of them want dads help and advice with things.

Running on the back burner today for footie tonight instead . 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Treddy run for me later - shortish intervals to wake up my leggies.

TE, I agree with JJ about the time difference.  You did a cracking time!

OT, you are going to be a very busy daddy with all that DIYing.  Good cross-training but tough after a day at work.  Mike and I always seem to buy places that need gutting so over the years I have been well used to taking off my work suit and donning old clothes as soon I walk through the door.  Mrs OT will enjoy the experience of helping them choose furnishings etc image

IW, good on you.  You've got the right attitude to set-backs image

Columba, hope you enjoy your visit.

• Options

OT and Red, thanks.

Another bright and sunny day, but very cold. Tonight is a speed session with the Club, which is scheduled for 3 sets of 5 x 30 secs.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

It's been a lovely day here apart from the wind which has been very strong.  A mid-length run for me tomorrow; off-road it it's fine or along the lanes if it's raining.

Hope your session is a good one TE.

I keep getting emails for races in 2013 (TWells 1/2 was one) so need to get my head in gear for my next project.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Oh my goodness, there's tumbleweed in the thread!  

Waiting for the rain to blow away before I head out for my plod.  After the torrential rain we had last night I shall be sticking to the lanes as the ground is absolutely saturated and we have waterfalls flowing down the fields image

• Options

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/10/15/ed-whitlock-runs-330-marathon-at-age-81/

Check this out if you are feeling abit tired today.....what an inspiration!!!
    Soaked coming in to work today, and now the sun is out!!

• Options

MCS, thanks for the link. What a fantastic achievement for an 81 year old!! 3.30 is a time many good senior club runners would be pleased to achieve.

Last nights speed session went well, but those of us who ran in the Solent Half, took things a bit easier.

Flash floods all over the south, but here in the New Forest, seem to have missed the worst of them. Will be going for a run in the forest later this morning, hoping it isn't too soggy.

I am now being asked if I want to race in the Gosport Half Marathon, which is on 18th November, and only 2 weeks after the Lordshill 10 mile. Both of these are in the Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL) I am not sure whether to enter or not, as that would mean 3 halfs and and a 10 miler all within a few weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Great link mcs and what an inspiration indeed!  A 3:30 marathon at 81 is brilliant.  Well, actually, 3:30 at any age is brilliant.

TE, go for it!

I had a really good hill run today so am a very happy laydee image

• Options

Red, thanks, I'm inclined to have a go at the Gosport Half as it is a league race, and every point counts. The club are hosting a CC6 race on 11th November and I am going to volunteer to be a Marshall. This will be a first for me, but I feel that the Club has given me so much, that I want to give something back. Great news that your hill run went so well. Things are looking upimage

Went for a 6.5 mile run in the forest this morning, and the rain must have been worse than I had thought. The Beaulieu River had over- flowed its banks into the surrounding fields, and there were deep pools everywhere.

• Options

Not too long before that marathon, Whitlock ran an age group world record 1:38 for a half marathon, he's put up many many world records, an inspiration to lots of people. In my 'prime' I ran a 3:48 marathon PB, would have been over the moon with 3:30, don't know how he does it. He trains by running laps around a cemetary!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Guess what the weather's doing today.......raining!  Now there's a surprise!  I've just done a treddy session, one of my favourites where I do 10 x 1 min hill reps @ marathon pace on an incline of 10 with 1 min recs.  It always seems so easy for there first few but then reality kicks in image

IW, it must be a big cemetery!

JJ, doodling and gardening will keep you fit.

• Options

Thanks for the background on Ed Whitlock, running round a cemetry must keep him going trying not to end up down there I guess......genes must come into it to. Though a good friend of mine who is in his mid 70s and always ran and swam has been struck down with Bowel Cancer and is now half the man he was such a shame. Life can be tough................
     Not raining here in Bakewell but cool and all the autumn colours on the hills look lovely but are really coming down this week after wind and rain the last couple of nights.  3 miles to work and 3 home again today should take me up to about 19 for the week.....ticking over at the moment as I plan for next year. Got a couple booked so far though no full marathon. Not allowed!!image Got a 21 miler hilly booked so that is probably the equivalent.

• Options

Bright and sunny at the moment, with possibility of heavy showers later. We have an hilly circuit session planned for this evening.

• Options

Back after a long absence - since retiring I have so little time!

Welcome to mcs.

JJ, my OH borrowed my headtorch to complete some conservatory preparation after the light went, and has managed to hide it really well, as neither of us can now find it. I'll have to send him a link to buy me a new one soon.

Red, great news about the dementia register.

Many congratulations on your 2nd in age category at the Solent Half, TE. Quite a few from our club also ran it. The only racing I have donme recently is as part of a relay team for the Clarendon Marathon. Our club had 7 teams entered, and my team came in first for the club. We were all presented with a bottle of wine at the next club evening image

I'm currently taking part in a 5 x 50 challenge, where you run, cycle or walk a munimum of 5k every day for 50 days. I have run every day, and completed 39 days so far. It felt tough early on, but I think I've got quite used to it now, although some days are harder than others.

• Options

Welcome back DD, i wondered where you had got to.  image

I've found time to run this afternoon, just a gentle little bimble of 5 miles in perfect conditions.

I'm off to Eastnor Castle this weekend for a challenging 7 miler, in some extreme muddy conditions, should be a great stress buster.

I hope everyone has a good weekend, whatever you are up to  !  image 

• Options

Welcome back to the thread DD and thanks for your congrats. Well done to you and your relay team and hope you enjoyed the wineimage I wish you luck in your 5 x 50 challenge!

OT, all the best for your muddy 7 miler at the weekend!

This evenings training session was 4 hilly circuits, with 2 minutes jog between each. The circuits were 0.42 miles and my splits were :- 3.27 3.10 3.14 3.06.

• Options

DianeD I have tried the odd running day after day think I got to about 40 but legs didn't like it after that. I ran 3 miles a day minimum........How Ron Hill has managed to do so many years! Happy weekend all.

• Options

I'm hoping the rain will ease off before the club run in the forest with head-torches! We are orgainising a race on Sunday - 9 miles off-road in the New Forest. It is scenic, but is going to be very muddy in places! I'm quite glad that I am in the admin tent, under cover.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Evening all,

No running today but will be out there tomorrow and Sunday - not far though as Beachy is beckoning me image

Hi Diana.  Your 50 is nearly over isn't it?  Well done.  I'm thinking about doing a streak all next year as I've run out of challenges to concoct.  Haven't quite decided yet.  Hope your race goes well on Sunday.

OT, enjoy your mud image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

LOL JJ!  Enjoy your new gd and hope your daughter recovers quickly.

Just back from a 4.5 plod and I didn't get wet image

• Options

DD, hope your forest race goes well on Sunday.The forest is very waterlogged in places in my area of Dibden, Fawley, Beaulieu,  etc. Take care whilst racing in the dark. Are you and other Club runners taking part in the Hardley CC6 on November 11th? I will be one of the Marshalls. As our Club are the hosts, we are unable to enter ourselves.

Red, it's dry here also at present, and the early morning fog is starting to clear.

I'm off for a 10 mile forest run later, and will be able to give an update on the underfoot conditions which may be useful to DD.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Got back this afternoon from 5 days in London. Managed to see all of my children who live in London (I also have one who lives in Bristol), renew acquaintance with 1-year-old grand-daughter and visit the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition. I had read a review of the exhibition which said you would need 3 hours to do it justice. I was there for four! managed a run (nearly 8 miles) on Wandsworth Common and Clapham Common, - I like running in London, much flatter than home.