Options

Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

No problem JPenno - I will be heading to downtown Disney tomorrow then to the airport so I will let you know tomorrow or Wednesday morning if I get one.

Fingers crossed 

• Options

cant see the link at the mo C33 as Im at work but well done on 44th place in the Goofy ! thats AMAZING !  Dare I ask how you worked it out? 

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I don't want to know ow he worked it out, as compulsive me will then feel compelled to work mine out and I'd be depressed the rest of the day.

Actually, ran the full marathon part with a friend returning to running after a 6 year hiatus, so we ran at her pace - doing the Galloway walk run - so it was very slow but being with her on her first marathon since overcoming her back injury was way better than any time I would have achieved.
  • Options

Thanks Marathon Minnie.  In a piece of mindless curiosity I sat down with my new mate Minnie and we screened down the goofy challenge results and anybody that ran less than 3:50 for the marathon we added their half time to to see if they got in before 4:51 combined.  Lots of people either ran one race or one a lot harder than the other that had times quicker than me in the marathon and only 43 people sneaked in ahead of me if you add the times together.  I did regret starting it once I got to about half way but once I'd got that far it would have been an even more futile waste of time to stop!!!! image 

Good luck with working out your place if you are 4000th with a combined time of 6-7 hours lol imageimage

• Options

Alas that is exactly where I am in the rankings - I wont bother working it out this year.. Will leave it for next year when (of course) I will be lightening fast and in the top 100  IN MY DREAMS LOL   image

• Options
    Disney is the place where dreams come true minnieimage

Just need to wish upon a star and all that image
  • Options

image I must be really sad. I have downloaded the Goofy results on an Excel spreadsheet, added the times for the half and full together and sorted them in order. Then analysed male and female separately - to conclude that I was in the top 20% of female Goofy finishers! Didn't take that long - honest!image

Duffs - no idea where you found the medal vinylmations - we did try in Downtown Disney but no-one knew about the medals - only the normal runDisney. We must be rubbish shoppers.image

After the brilliant time we had this year, I have to accept that we cannot do 2014 due to kids school term dates.image

• Options
    Well done goofy top 20% is great. image I wish I'd waited for a copy of that spreadsheet it would have saved me the best part of an hour. Glad you found it in an form you could get on excel as I think once you are in the main pack that you would have to enlist the help of rachael riley and carol vorderman for the weekend to work it out using my method image

Easy way to get round the 'kids situatuon' don't take themimage

Trying to work out my next big trip for next year. Still got Tokyo now its the 6th major, Chicago which was going to be the last major to do and Marine Corps in Washington on the 'must do' list and Boston for a 2nd time if I ever managed to fluke a qualifying time. Only two problems......choice.....and the big one.....money. Probably a good job I'm back at work tomorrow :-/
  • Options

JPenno - got you a vinylmation runner - will let you know when I am back in the UK (should be Wesdnesday morning) and we can arrange to get it to you. 

• Options
    Duffs wrote (see)

JPenno - got you a vinylmation runner - will let you know when I am back in the UK (should be Wesdnesday morning) and we can arrange to get it to you. 

Thankyou - have a good flight and be warned its a bit colder over here!!

• Options

Ooooh.......Chicago or Tokyo.......what a decision, C33.image

Let us know which you decide and ultimately how you do.

As for going to Disney without the kids....they would never forgive me and I can't live with that guilt.imageimage

• Options

Go to Disney without the Kids - who do you think you are kidding unless you fear for your life. My 2 are 21 and 23 and still go with us everytime. We just bought into the DVC on basis it means potential for Disney based holidays for us, kids and eventually their kids for next 45 years!!

• Options

GG is there any chance you would be able to email me a copy of your excel work of wonder ? Or could you explain how you took the info from the PDF and copied it into excell as I tried and failed.

• Options

MM - yes, no probs. Does anyone know how to attach Excel files to these messages? I think you can only attach images/videos/links?

Failing that, if you message me your private e-mail address I will send the file there.

• Options

Hi GG - thanks for coming back to me - however.... Roll on the drums..... I manged to follow some instructions from google and conveted the pdf myself last night. (puffs chest up in pride).  It dosent make me any quicker but now at least I can be a total anorak and analys my results against women in my age group..

• Options
    Caniggia33 wrote (see)
    Trying to work out my next big trip for next year. Still got Tokyo now its the 6th major, Chicago which was going to be the last major to do and Marine Corps in Washington on the 'must do' list and Boston for a 2nd time if I ever managed to fluke a qualifying time. Only two problems......choice.....and the big one.....money. Probably a good job I'm back at work tomorrow :-/

Tokyo is a fantastic race. I'll be doing my 4th consecutive Tokyo Marathon next month. I cannot find fault with it. The Expo is superb, the organisation is first class, the course is quick, the crowds are massive, and most importantly, Tokyo is an awesome city!

Hotels are never really a problem in Tokyo, you can always find a reasonably priced hotel quite close to the action. The only thing that would be expensive is the air fare. Unless you can find a very good deal or use a bunch of air miles, you wont get much change out of £600. Still highly recommended though.

Back to the topic, when does registration usually open for the WDW Goofy Challenge? The 2014 event is the next box which requires ticking on my endurance running bucketlist...! image

• Options

Hey JPenno - back in the UK and missing the sunshine - I have the vinylmation figure - I am currently in Kilmarnock (freezing)  visiting Ma and Pa Duffs and will be driving back to Wrexham on Saturday then back to work in Bootle on Monday - if I am passing by where you are or (I see the liverpool badge) if you are in Liverpool I could drop it by on Monday afternoon/evening - let me know which or if you want it posted. . .

Duffs

• Options

Entry for 2014 opens on 9 April image

• Options

HaHaa looks like we've all been busy with the analysing!! image

Just finishing a Goofy table myself, pretty complicated!

Here's my stats, I reckon 9224 Goofy numbers were used to finish a race, 526 recorded HM times but either failed to enter or complete the full, and more strangely 102 recorded a full marathon time, but either failed to enter or complete the half?? (I guess they entered the Goofy when the Full filled up - very expensive way to do it image)

Soooo there were 8596 recorded finishers in the Goofy (but I did see some people trying to sell/give away parts of Goofy's they didn't want to do - so I suspect there may have been a couple of "relay" finishers amongst the finishers?)

Fastest Goofy, was 4:06:10 and slowest was 11:54:19 imageimage

• Options

Don't forget anyone who finishes in over 10 and a half hours isn't classed as a Goofy finisher as they have passed the time limit 

• Options

OMG Slowfoot, that sounds a bit harsh!!! It was baking hot.

I never realised there was a 10 1/2 hour time limit. I thought that as long as they completed each race without getting booted for being too slow, they would be ok, lol!

In that case there may have been only 8238 Goofy's image

• Options
    Wow never worked out who was fastest. I was only 45 minutes behind the winner. How can that be right he he he

Gazza that is good to hear that tokyo is THAT good. Just out of interest how have you managed to enter it and book your own hotel. I was under the impression it was so rediculously oversubscribed that you had to book through a tour firm. Sports tours was extortionate and the cheapest option I could find was to book through an aussie tour firm for half the price and pretend I live with my big sister in sydney. Devious I know but I need to look after the yen as I've heard that japan is a bit pricey when you get there!!!
  • Options

Yeah you did good C33 image

I got you at 4:51:32, 202 HM, 227 FM and 56th Goofy (4th Goofy Brit - well done - fastest Goofy Brit was 4:36, so only 15 mins off fastest Brit!)

• Options
    Duffs wrote (see)

Hey JPenno - back in the UK and missing the sunshine - I have the vinylmation figure - I am currently in Kilmarnock (freezing)  visiting Ma and Pa Duffs and will be driving back to Wrexham on Saturday then back to work in Bootle on Monday - if I am passing by where you are or (I see the liverpool badge) if you are in Liverpool I could drop it by on Monday afternoon/evening - let me know which or if you want it posted. . .

Duffs

Duffs - I will be in work all day monday - unfortunately thats in mancland!! and I live in sunny Widnes so not really on a Wrexham to bootle route, If you pm me your address and how much it is I will sort out the funds or you and postage costs

• Options

C33

Having spent some time in Japan isn't pricey its fu**ing pricey I remeber paying just on a tenner for 2 slices of melon.

Cant say i enjoyed my time there just a bit too strange for my liking 

• Options

Caniggia33 - I've never used sports tour operators. I find they're usually expensive and can tie you into activities and excursions you may not necessarily want to go on. I have always taken my chances going directly through their ballot process. They have around 300,000 applicants and only 30,000 places, but I was told by the organisers in 2010 that they essentially fast-track a lot of overseas applicants to bring tourist money into Tokyo. While residents of Tokyo have a 10% chance of success, its more like 80% for foreigners (I've got in 4 times out of 4!). There are always hotel deals to be had in Tokyo (I use sites like Agoda, Asiarooms, etc) so that is never really a problem. Like most big cities, if you fall into the tourist trap, it can become an expensive place. With the current strong yen, alcohol is quite expensive but its actually not hard to find reasonably cheap restaurants if you avoid the tourist hot-spots and wander slightly off the beaten track. Transport is also exceptionally cheap. A tube ticket that would cost you £3-4 in London costs £1 in Tokyo (and it runs on time!).

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    With respect to people running the full and not he half - Although stupid, I can see how people might do that just for the additional medal. There was no verification that you completed the half. As you finished the full, they simply gave you the Goofy medal if you had the Goofy Challenge number on. They should mark your number when you complete the half.
  • Options

if people were just after the medals they could pop along to Downtown Disney on the Monday and buy a marathon presentation case with the medal in it.  That also feels wrong to me -  so does having your finishing photot  doctored to show a quicker time !   I guess some people will always just want the glory without the pain

• Options

Yes Dannirr a bit stupid, I suppose some may have had injury worries and didn't want to risk both races?? Like you say I would have thought they would have marked your number after the half or scanned your number after the marathon to check that you'd done both and earned that Goofy medal. Something for RunDisney to look into for the future I guess.

MM, I saw those presentation cases myself, I'm sure I looked at them in the expo, so you could have bought them before the races even started if you wished, lol!

I wouldn't have the unearned medal myself, I won't even wear the t-shirts before I've earned them, I wore a marathon 2012 shirt on HM morning and my half 2013 shirt on marathon morning image As for doctoring the times on the photo?? what's that all about? image some folk are strange!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    JPAtko - I agree. When I withdrew from the Marine Corp Marathon they sent me the shirt - I cannot wear it as it is not earned, so I gave it away with some other clothes to a charity place.

If doctoring the photo only means they put in your actual chip time, instead of clock time, I'm ok with that.