Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Steve,

I experienced 24 hours of the nightmare that you have been going through for the last few weeks, sadly without the same dignity.  I thought I had ITB, the symptoms corresponded but fortunately it's only tense muscles and not inflamed tissue.

I echo everything that has been said above and I echo everything that will be said below, as others on the thread find approriate words to say.

I hope you keep the thread going, or a joint one with the others, especailly as the famous 5 will return in the Autumn.

All the best

• Wow, another day and another barrage of amazing messages! It really is a pleasure to load up this forum every day, even if the subject matter isn’t exactly what I had planned at the start of this journey!!

Following my chat with physio Sarah at the weekend (who was kind enough to call me even though she was on holiday) we both spoke to Kat from Runner’s World this morning and, what with the thoughts of Sam, Sarah and everybody else, we reluctantly came to the conclusion that I should not run the marathon.

Sam and Sarah will, I am sure, post their own thoughts on why the decision was made but, from my point of view, it was the right decision to make.

Far from improving my knee seems to actually have deteriorated and, given that I have been resting it as much as possible and icing regularly, I know for a fact that there is something really quite wrong with it. Whether that is the cartilage or something completely different, I don’t know yet but it almost isn’t worth speculating and we’ll just see what the MRI comes back with.

I am in daily discomfort with it at the very least and it is regularly painful, with something as simple as walking round the town for a while being enough to cause it to flare up. As I said previously, I’m not one to shy away from things that will be uncomfortable or painful (I am/was training for a marathon after all!) but the thought of attempting to run or walk (for ‘walk’ read ‘hobble’) for 26.2 miles with how it feels right now is incredibly daunting.

I know that I would not be able to run 26.2 miles on it. That’s just a matter of fact. I think the absolute best case scenario would be that I would manage to run/jog for possibly an hour at the absolute most and then be walking/hobbling my way round for the rest of it, if I was even able to make it to the finish... which I’m not sure I would.

That would be incredibly painful and, if I did make it to the end, I’m not sure exactly what sense of achievement I would be left feeling anyway! I was fit enough to be capable before I started this journey of walking 26.2 miles (and could have done it pain-free!) so it is not like I would be doing something out of the ordinary for me or breaking new ground in my running.

So there doesn’t seem to be a justification for punishing myself and for taking the very real risk of doing even more damage to the knee and possibly other parts as well. For example, the three runs I have done since the injury started have all resulted in me pulling my calf muscle, and they were very short runs. I dread to think what I would do over the course of a few hours on it!

I have to admit to feeling absolutely and completely gutted. I can’t describe how much I wish I had not slipped over on that bridge, how much I wish I had run a different way that evening or how much I wish I would be on that start line in Paris.

I am still going to go to Paris, to cheer on the other four runners, see them all smash their targets (as I’m sure they will, given how their training has been going – they should all feel very proud of themselves) and generally drink in the atmosphere of the weekend. But it is going to be a curious experience and a hopefully not too unpleasant mixture of emotions. If you look up the word “bittersweet” in the dictionary after the weekend, there will probably be a picture of me standing at the finish line in Paris...

But I have learned so, so much about my running and about myself from going on this journey and, as strongly as I wish that I hadn’t slipped over on that run, I am equally as strongly delighted that I filled in the application form to enter this competition, that I went to bootcamp and that I was picked to train for Paris.

I have had a fantastic experience from start to finish and I am just amazed at what I have got out of it – so much more than I ever thought I would. I have made friends, memories and huge leaps in my running and realised how much more I could get out of what was a simple hobby I indulged in as a bit of stress relief from time to time, a way to keep in shape or to raise a bit of money for charity now and again.

This journey may be nearly over for all five of us and sadly for me it has not ended in the way I wanted it to but that doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t look back on it as a success. To have realised what potential I have if I apply myself, to have connected with so many fantastic people whether at training days, on this forum or at race days and to have realised that running needn’t be all about heading out the door on my own for half an hour but can be something much more than that, can only be a success and I’m so thankful for the experience, no matter the final outcome.

I know that, as soon as Dr Kin Kong has fixed me up and I’ve been given the all clear, the first thing I am going to do is pull on my Asics shoes and head out the door for a blessed, pain-free run that is going to put a huge smile on my face.

That is why I have always run – and I feel like I have only just begun on that journey.

• Sam has made a really good point and as PC91 indicates the support will be with you whether you run or do what would appear to be the sensible option at this stage.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    well said Steve. I'll drink a large glass of merlot to you!
  • Hi Steve, a tough decision but I am sure you have made the right one. As you point out you have developed so much as a runner throughout the past few months and no one can take that experience and gain away from you now. There are hundreds of marathons every year in the UK alone but you only have two knees. Are you able to defer your Paris place for next year? Have fun being the official bag carrier, we expect a minute by minute commentary from you!

Best wishes

H your lurker, one of a few I imagine....
  • Steve,

A tough decision and you should be proud that you have been in a position to do this in 'the spotlight' so to speak, and done it so eloquently.

I won't try to imagine how you feel but definitely been a winner in everyone's eyes.

Offer still stands for October marathon in Germany!
  • Steve,

I know this was a difficult decision for you and you have done everything you can to settle the knee to see if you can run but it was always going to be difficult from the last Bootcamp day.

It was obvious then that there was a problem within the joint, probably a tear in the meniscus but as it's been so reactive there may well be a bone bruise there too, the scan will tell the whole picture.

Running the marathon or trying to would a, have been a very painful unpleasant experience and b, would probably have caused some secondary problems that can take as long so settle if not longer than having surgery on the knee.

The good news is if it's a simple meniscal tear and you need an arthroscopy you can be running several weeks later. You will need to do some strengthening work but the rehab is fairly straight forward and you'll get back to running in no time.

Your body was telling you no and I'm sure you're very relieved though disapointed that the decision has been made.

You have been on a amazing journey and have proven to yourself that you can do and you will do, set yourself another goal and take all the knowledge from the experts to your next challenge that I know you will rise to. 

Make sure you carry on telling us all about it as we all want to follow your recovery to bigger and better things.

Still enjoy the weekend as you have put so much work into it you can still enjoy the experience and atmosphere without the nerves!!! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Steve, I'm really, really sorry to hear that you have made that decision but it was the only one to make............well done!

You will return stronger and fulfill your potential.

I have to say I feel flat on hearing this news and can't imagine how you must feel. It is definitely right to go to Paris. You'll have a great time even if tinged with sadness but the others will appreciate your support and I'm sure it'll give them one more reason to do well.

I hope to catch up with you at a race or two once you are recovered.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I know it has been a very tough decision for you, but I feel sure it is the right decision that you should never regret.  Long term health and fitness is what gets most of us into running in the first place, and it is easy to lose sight of that when we chase a personal goal.  You will bounce back strong and complete your marathon when you are ready.

It has been a pleasure following your (outstanding) progress and I'm sorry it hasn't turned out how you have hoped.  Don't disappear from the forums, because there is still a lot that you can learn and a lot that you can give with the benefit of experience.

• "Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made."

I know it may feel like it's not the end you hoped for when you set out but I suspect that your journey won't end at the finish line in Paris image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi Bacon Boy,

The MRI scan will at least set you up, you'll know what the problem is and can start fixing it, probably got a piece of bacon suck in your knee. Berlin sounds great. Paris 2014? Bring your son over.

As Tenjiso asked, don't disappear.... Hang on fellas why are we following Steve? Did you see Sarah's photo last week, or Mel's beautiful smile? Bye Steve...

Hope to bump into this weekend, I'm easily spotted, I run like your diagram.
  • RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Sam has made a really good point and as PC91 indicates the support will be with you whether you run or do what would appear to be the sensible option at this stage.

Hi Ruth,

Think we may have cross posted! Thankfully I have chosen what you refer to as the 'sensible option' - I've been told off enough by you and Sam over the last few weeksimage

Regarding nutrition, just so you know, as Mel has had a bit of a stomach bug over the last few days I have heroically stepped into the breach and offered to carb load on her behalf. It seemed like the least I could do...

Can I also just take the opportunity now to say thank you for all your amazing advice throughout this competition - my diet has changed beyond all recognition and I make healthy choices now without really thinking about it. I have the remains of a bag of chips in the freezer that has been in there for weeks and weeks... this is pretty much unheard of. I don't eat perfectly but I'm always looking to improve image

• jenf wrote (see)
    well said Steve. I'll drink a large glass of merlot to you!

Thanks Jen, mind if I join you??

• h vavoom wrote (see)
    Hi Steve, a tough decision but I am sure you have made the right one. As you point out you have developed so much as a runner throughout the past few months and no one can take that experience and gain away from you now. There are hundreds of marathons every year in the UK alone but you only have two knees. Are you able to defer your Paris place for next year? Have fun being the official bag carrier, we expect a minute by minute commentary from you!
    Best wishes
    H your lurker, one of a few I imagine....

Hi H,

Thanks, it definitely feels like the right decision, despite how rubbish it feels... so that says a lot! You've hit the nail right on the head there - there are so many races ahead and it'd be a crime to throw all that away for the sake of one.

And yes, I shall be the famous four's paparazzi nightmare for the dayimage

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)
    Steve,

A tough decision and you should be proud that you have been in a position to do this in 'the spotlight' so to speak, and done it so eloquently.

I won't try to imagine how you feel but definitely been a winner in everyone's eyes.

Offer still stands for October marathon in Germany!

Clive,

Thanks mate, you've been a pretty much constant source of support from start to finish and that has been very much appreciated image

As for being eloquent, I just did that in the hope that Runners World offer me a regular column in the mag haha

It's been a rough few days, I won't lie, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and no regrets - can't ask for much more than that!

As for Germany in October, let me see what the MRI says but sounds like a great idea! Good excuse to dust off my schoolboy German lessons...

• sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Steve,

I know this was a difficult decision for you and you have done everything you can to settle the knee to see if you can run but it was always going to be difficult from the last Bootcamp day.

It was obvious then that there was a problem within the joint, probably a tear in the meniscus but as it's been so reactive there may well be a bone bruise there too, the scan will tell the whole picture.

Running the marathon or trying to would a, have been a very painful unpleasant experience and b, would probably have caused some secondary problems that can take as long so settle if not longer than having surgery on the knee.

The good news is if it's a simple meniscal tear and you need an arthroscopy you can be running several weeks later. You will need to do some strengthening work but the rehab is fairly straight forward and you'll get back to running in no time.

Your body was telling you no and I'm sure you're very relieved though disapointed that the decision has been made.

You have been on a amazing journey and have proven to yourself that you can do and you will do, set yourself another goal and take all the knowledge from the experts to your next challenge that I know you will rise to. 

Make sure you carry on telling us all about it as we all want to follow your recovery to bigger and better things.

Still enjoy the weekend as you have put so much work into it you can still enjoy the experience and atmosphere without the nerves!!! 

Hi Sarah,

Yes, strangely relieving to have made the decision... even if it is not the decision that I wanted to make!

Thanks for putting up with my continual texts and calls since the knee first flared up! Above and beyond the call of duty, I think image

• DS2 wrote (see)
    Hi Steve, I'm really, really sorry to hear that you have made that decision but it was the only one to make............well done!

You will return stronger and fulfill your potential.

I have to say I feel flat on hearing this news and can't imagine how you must feel. It is definitely right to go to Paris. You'll have a great time even if tinged with sadness but the others will appreciate your support and I'm sure it'll give them one more reason to do well.

I hope to catch up with you at a race or two once you are recovered.

Hi DS2,

Yes, it was the only sensible thing to do. Head versus heart can be quite a tough call sometimes... but, looking forward, there are so many races out there that to risk it all for one would be foolish at best!

I'd love to meet up for a race or two once I'm back on track

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

I know it has been a very tough decision for you, but I feel sure it is the right decision that you should never regret.  Long term health and fitness is what gets most of us into running in the first place, and it is easy to lose sight of that when we chase a personal goal.  You will bounce back strong and complete your marathon when you are ready.

It has been a pleasure following your (outstanding) progress and I'm sorry it hasn't turned out how you have hoped.  Don't disappear from the forums, because there is still a lot that you can learn and a lot that you can give with the benefit of experience.

Thanks Ten, and yes, it is definitely the right decision and I certainly don't have any regrets... I've come such a long way in such a short space of time.

It may not have turned out how I hoped this time but I've achieved more with my running in sixteen weeks than I had in the previous five years... ten years... so the future looks bright.

No regrets at all and it's been a pleasure to share it with everyone on here. I'd love to stick around on the forums and I'm also looking forward to actually venturing outside this thread, which has been rather time-consuming and enormous fun to keep on top of!image

• Kandinsky wrote (see)

"Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made."

I know it may feel like it's not the end you hoped for when you set out but I suspect that your journey won't end at the finish line in Paris image

Love it image

Well the tough decision has been made and, if nothing else, it feels like a weight has been lifted!

Definitely not the end of the journey and, once I'm fixed, I'll see you at the start line of the Chelmsford parkrunimage

• PC91 wrote (see)
    Hi Bacon Boy,

The MRI scan will at least set you up, you'll know what the problem is and can start fixing it, probably got a piece of bacon suck in your knee. Berlin sounds great. Paris 2014? Bring your son over.

As Tenjiso asked, don't disappear.... Hang on fellas why are we following Steve? Did you see Sarah's photo last week, or Mel's beautiful smile? Bye Steve...

Hope to bump into this weekend, I'm easily spotted, I run like your diagram.

Hi PC91,

Bacon in the knee... Let's see you fix that one, Kin Kong! I'm waiting to hear back on whether I can defer Paris - I can't see any reason why not so hopefully 2014 is on the cards!

Look forward to seeing you over there - whilst I've been to pretty much every country in Europe, I have never actually visited Paris!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve,

Like everyone else I'm truly gutted for you. Even now you're still managing to smile through it which just goes to show what a top bloke you are.

I'm really glad you're going to go to Paris regardless. You're right, it will probably be tough at points knowing that you aren't running but I'm sure there will be more than enough great moments to keep the disappointment at bay.

Best of luck with Kin Kong and the repair and recovery process. Do keep us posted on how everything goes!

• Hi Steve,

I echo everyone else, I'm really so gutted for you. You have made the right choice though, getting round the marathon in pain all the way would not be good and not what this whole journey we've been on was all about. And the risk that you might do longer term damage is not a risk worth taking.

I'm so glad you'll still be coming with us all to Paris, we started this experience together and its fantastic we'll all finish it together, even if its not in the circumstances we would have liked. You've progressed a long way with your running and when the knees fixed I'm sure you'll progress even more and achieve all your running goals.

See you on Friday.

• Hey Steve,

Well done on making the right decision. You always know that you've made the right choice when the moment you make it, you feel a weight has been lifted. I think part of the reason is that you can stop focusing all your energy on the 'shall I, shan't I?' question and channel it into the important matter of getting back in your trainers, setting new goals and so on. It sort of 'closes a door' but also allows you to move on to open some new ones. (Hmmm, not sure that is my most eloquent - better watch out or RW will be giving you my columnimage)

I'm doing a talk tonight about last-minute marathon prep, and one of the things I'm going to point out is that the runners WILL go through a bad patch in the marathon, at some point. It's not a given, but it's almost certain and I've found that accepting this at the outset really helps. When it arrives, you can just 'greet it' 'oh right, here's that bad patch...' - do what you can to help it pass (head up, relax, check you are fuelled up, check pace) and then be confident that it will. And I was thinking that the same holds true for you coming to Paris. There will be difficult moments for you but that is only natural and it won't detract from, or spoil, the whole experience.

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you Steve - to see you progress in great leaps and bounds and feel your enthusiasm grow and grow. I am convinced you will be back running not long from now (by the way, one of my Rye Runners who is coming to run Paris this year had an arthroscopy last august and is now fitter than ever. He's 62!) Keep us posted of how it all goes once this project is over, won't you? Anyway, see you at St Pancras on Friday!image

• Steve - sleep easy now for a few days.

Then "Terminator-esque" - you'll be back!

Have a blast in Paris and then good luck with the knee repair when you get back......

• Hi Steve,

What can I say that others haven't.  You've made the right decision, which is key.  I'm not sure if I would have been brave enough to make the decision if I'd been in your shoes.  LAst year whilst training for NYC marathon I pulled my calf, but didn't realise thats what it was,- just thought it was tightness, so ran more and more on it, and made it really bad- by which point, I needed to take a month off, which was the high mileage month.  I was still determined to do the race, even though my longest run had been 14 miles in July (for a November race).  Divine intervention stepped in, and it was the first NYC marathon to be cancelled, so I didn't do it, which has meant I've been able to get some decent training in this Spring, - I still notice the after effects of that calf tear now, so had I run, it would probably be even longer before I would be able to train like I am now, so what I'm saying is that you've made a really smart decision, and I have to say, watching a marathon is really fun too!!!  So you're gonna have a great time.

We'd be very happy to have you volunteering in the Colchester park run- the first one is this Saturday, so I guess you're busy, - I'll be run director on 27 April.  To become a volunteer, go to this page, and it gives you all the info:  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/colchestercastle/volunteer/

Look forward to seeing you there! and well done for being such an inspiration! image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Mr Bacon,

I'm linked directly to the 'Followed Threads' so sometimes I forget that RW have attached their site to our forum !  By the way who's SamMurphyRuns ? One of your groupies who you've been sharing your valueable advice with.  62 years old ! You've got a couple of years ahead of you.  I get confused with everything I read but I think there was a 74 year old who did a sub 3h30 recently (could have been quicker ?).

Very considerate of you to help Mel with the carb loading, perhaps you could eat a few Creme Eggs for Sarah and drink a couple of beers for Shady.  They are going to love you at the restaurant as you tuck into your pizza followed by profiteroles, all these sacrifices you do for your friends.

I went to the physio dreading the worse, it's not wonderful but they are not going to shoot me, although he would have liked to after seeing the state I have let myself get into.  I'll see him again tomorrow, then several sessions after the marathon.  I don't know what will happen on Sunday.

There are over 900 strides in a kilometre, I've done 800km since November. My body has taken a pounding, any defauts in technic or posture will take their toll, and I am far from perfect.  My muscles have tighten up, in the case of my thigh, too much which caused my leg to block up.

After Sunday I'm going back to square 1.  I will (try to) learn how to run, concerntrating on short distances, attempting to improve my technic.  Warming up and cooling down properly !  Stretches, often neglected as I was eager to get out of the door or exhausted after the long runs.  I aim gradually to build up my runs so there is less of a shock to the system. I intend to read back through the threads, find out more on aceleration strides and recovery runs.

Your experience has given you a stronger base to build on, I don't know if you get bored of hearing this but thanks for sharing it with us.  Cheers.

• Malcs wrote (see)

Steve,

Like everyone else I'm truly gutted for you. Even now you're still managing to smile through it which just goes to show what a top bloke you are.

I'm really glad you're going to go to Paris regardless. You're right, it will probably be tough at points knowing that you aren't running but I'm sure there will be more than enough great moments to keep the disappointment at bay.

Best of luck with Kin Kong and the repair and recovery process. Do keep us posted on how everything goes!

Thanks for the kind words Malcs.

Yes, it has been incredibly frustrating and gutting to realise that I was not going to be able to start the race in Paris (let alone finish!) but the support has been out of this world so that has made it so much easier to smile about it and realise just how many positives I can take from this.

As you say, there are going to be plenty of great moments over the weekend, to add to the multitude of great moments I have experienced for the last sixteen weeks...

Thanks for keeping me smiling image

• A.W wrote (see)

Hi Steve,

I echo everyone else, I'm really so gutted for you. You have made the right choice though, getting round the marathon in pain all the way would not be good and not what this whole journey we've been on was all about. And the risk that you might do longer term damage is not a risk worth taking.

I'm so glad you'll still be coming with us all to Paris, we started this experience together and its fantastic we'll all finish it together, even if its not in the circumstances we would have liked. You've progressed a long way with your running and when the knees fixed I'm sure you'll progress even more and achieve all your running goals.

See you on Friday.

Thanks Alex,

You're right, it's definitely not what it was all about and there really isn't much of a benefit to half killing myself just to say I managed to complete the course. It's much more sensible, and the sense of achievement will be so much greater, to bow gracefully (sort of!) out of this one and do the next one within my target time...

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday and watching you all run - it's gonig to be a great weekend.

Hopefully I'll have you looking over your shoulder in the future!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hey Steve,

Well done on making the right decision. You always know that you've made the right choice when the moment you make it, you feel a weight has been lifted. I think part of the reason is that you can stop focusing all your energy on the 'shall I, shan't I?' question and channel it into the important matter of getting back in your trainers, setting new goals and so on. It sort of 'closes a door' but also allows you to move on to open some new ones. (Hmmm, not sure that is my most eloquent - better watch out or RW will be giving you my columnimage)

I'm doing a talk tonight about last-minute marathon prep, and one of the things I'm going to point out is that the runners WILL go through a bad patch in the marathon, at some point. It's not a given, but it's almost certain and I've found that accepting this at the outset really helps. When it arrives, you can just 'greet it' 'oh right, here's that bad patch...' - do what you can to help it pass (head up, relax, check you are fuelled up, check pace) and then be confident that it will. And I was thinking that the same holds true for you coming to Paris. There will be difficult moments for you but that is only natural and it won't detract from, or spoil, the whole experience.

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you Steve - to see you progress in great leaps and bounds and feel your enthusiasm grow and grow. I am convinced you will be back running not long from now (by the way, one of my Rye Runners who is coming to run Paris this year had an arthroscopy last august and is now fitter than ever. He's 62!) Keep us posted of how it all goes once this project is over, won't you? Anyway, see you at St Pancras on Friday!image

Thank you Sam,

A weight has definitely been lifted, despite the disappointment, so it's not all bad image

This competition has opened so many doors for me and I've loved every second of it.

Haha but if they give me your column, I won't be able to read yours every month! I'll have Tonks' column instead image

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you too, Sam, and I've gained more from it than you probably realise so, even though I've probably said it a hundred times in sixteen weeks, thanks so much for all your advice and support!

See you Friday!