Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

HMP, 10 mile pace and 10k pace are all pretty close (20 seocnds or so) so running 8 at HMP is not much different to a raced 10k. 

image  My recent races paces:  4 weeks ago, 5k 6:54; 2 weeks ago, 10k 7:08; HM 6:58....

That's 4 minutes Poacher. Quite a lot!!!

• Options

Hi guys. Trouble is it's 3 and a half years since I ran a HM (1:32) and I've never managed to run a marathon! Last week I did 11 miles inc. 7 miles HMP effort which averaged 6:39m/m. Yesterday the same session averaged 6:51 m/m. Not having a HRM, the best indicators I have are my 5k and 10k PBs (19:01 and 20:30). Whatever I decide to do next week, I will be easing up a bit for the final 2 weeks.

• Options

Happy Birthday AR - I celebrated it with 7x1m reps on the bike squeezed into lunch.  Then I had cake.

Can't wait to go running - its been 8 days and another 20 to go.

• Options

For my money, we don't all convert the same. 8 miles faster than HMP is not a problem in my world (n.b I didn't say it was easy) In fact those using P&D version 2 have a session that includes 7M at threshold pace  - and that is in the midst of marathon training.  I can't see any of us having a true threshold pace as slow as HMP if we are running 1:2xs or 1:3x HMs, unlike some top elite runners.

Keep crossing the days off Bike It.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Gul- when I run those P&D lactic threshold runs 10,11,12 miles with 5,6,7 at LT pace, they recommend approx HM pace for these. I'm about 10 seconds a mile down on my actual HM pace, they are tough tough runs, especially on your own.

My heart rate indicates I'm giving the right amount of effort and actual perceived effort feels way too hard that I can't imagine I could keep that pace for 13.1 miles.

So if a few of your miles are dropping to 7min mile in these tests runs I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options

Of course, there are classic factors that nobody can deliver a perfect set of matching results at 5k, 10k, HM and M. One pops up a bit faster than predicted, and we think that makes the others look weak. There are usually many factors involved, but nobody says that you've over-achieved at your 10k by comparison, because you've just proved it physically possible.

Anyway
    6.6 miles done, at what I shall call a "good pace". I'd use the phrase tempo, but that has a specific definition. I shall call it Goal marathon pace. I even practiced a racing Paula stop, which only took 70 seconds out of the session. A record.

• Options

Nice session Blisters.
    11 miles with 2 x 3M efforts for me this morning. The target was a nominal tempo pace. 3M warm-up 8:59, 7:52, 7:38; 3M effort 6:55, 6:44, 6:22; 1M easy 8:14; 3M effort 6:23, 6:23, 6:15; 1M warm-down 8:13. By my reckoning those efforts ranged from HMP to 5kP so a bit undisciplined but at least they were heading up rather than down. On balance I think I will play it safe and keep the same schedule for next week.

• Options

Cracking run there Gul. I have to say your up and coming half is the most eagerly awaited event of the Autumn schedule. No pressure.....image

Still no running as I still feel like crap. Trying to get my 5 year old son ready for school this am almost finished me off. Another trip to the fizz today, looking forward to that!

Blisters - That's an impressive time there for your pit-stop!

Minni - Your recent peformance in the GNR makes a complete nonsense of the fact that you think you can't run fast. You can't just roll out of bed and run a 1:31 half, you are clearly in great shape. You going to go for the sub 90 then for your next one?

• Options

JD3 - Meant to say thanks for the suggestion re the grid foam roller, the massuese showed me an example of one of these things and it wouldn't look out of place in a "grown up shop". She said they are great but they hurt real bad.

Barry B - I got my marathon entry confirmation y'day (did a last minute transfer with a friend who is now not running) and if I turn up at the start on 7.10.13 not only would I be the freshest person there I would be the only one there as the race would have been run 24hrs previous!! How's the calf doing? Mine feel less like cement after my sports massage.

Random stat - someone told me that a chap from my local club was 3rd in his age group in the GNR, he was only bested by Haile Gebrselassie and some other bloke!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes GM she can definately do that on a better course/better day...

Stinking cold here image no running at the mo

• Options
    OO50 wrote (see)

Yes GM she can definately do that on a better course/better day...

Stinking cold here image no running at the mo

Same here OO - a visit from family early in the week brought me some birthday gifts in the form of a cold and aching bones.  I'm grounded and not happy image

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

Hi guys. Trouble is it's 3 and a half years since I ran a HM (1:32) and I've never managed to run a marathon! Last week I did 11 miles inc. 7 miles HMP effort which averaged 6:39m/m. Yesterday the same session averaged 6:51 m/m. Not having a HRM, the best indicators I have are my 5k and 10k PBs (19:01 and 20:30). Whatever I decide to do next week, I will be easing up a bit for the final 2 weeks.

Gul - your 5k and 10k PBs seem soft given that youve just run 6m in 39.02 in training finishing with a 3mile in 19.01 to match your 5k pb after a hard 7. SIgns are pretty good for you race. Cracking training run

Regarding matching results, my wava is highest at 5k and then steadily decreases through 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m, half and full. So depending if I use the 5k or marathon time in any predictor I am always under or over acheiving. Havent really figured out if its I am just better at shorter stuff or I become more conservative re pace as the distance increases.

• Options

Menn - Ditto. Going by some calculators my 5k pb suggets that I should do a 39:17 10k and a 3:04 marathon. Not confident I will ever achieve any of those targets anytime soon if ever.

We need to open a book for the low flying Gul!

Belated b-day wishes AR! Sorry to hear you are also crook.

• Options

Moof – 6x 1k is a tough session, how did they go? do you do them on a track, round and round a loop, or just as part of a normal run? Tough following them up with a 15, good work.

Ant – glad you found the elixir. That sounds like a good return to form, I’m sure they were suitable impressed! I find the most irritating when someone goes past in a football shirt when your 18miles into a run and look back at you thinking that’s top speed. Not that I’m competitive.

Happy birthday for yesterday AR. Nice reps. Sorry that you’ve been hit with the lurgy. Hopefully it’ll give your muscles a chance to take stock after all vastly impressive training you’ve done lately

Gul – these are some very impressive sessions that you are producing. I think that you may be capable of more than sub 90. I ran just under 88mins and don’t think I could do the 2x3 you just did. Does the HM have pacers?

Barry B – thanks ,will act quick on White Horse

Not much to report here, got a 15 planned this evening. My left knee has been a little tender lately, but nothing to worry about: think I need new shoes (My trainers have got nearly 1000 miles in) but yesterday I was doing an easy 6 when a tiny dog ran straight into my path, I slammed on the brakes and got quite a sheer force through the knee, hopefully it’ll be Ok later.

Not sure where I stand on the long fast sessions in training, I find a HM at MP a lot easier with a number on than without. I quite like doing them by HR, but HM HR doesn’t always correlate to HM speed in training. 

In other news for the south easterners, you may or may not know, and may or may not be interested but Sir Wiggo, Cavendish et al are doing 10 laps of central London on Sunday as the finale of the tour or Britain. They’re also in surrey on Saturday if that helps anyone. 

• Options

Am I the first person to write a post on this thread while travelling by hovercraft? On my way back from the Isle of Wight and it's pissing down.

4.5 miles through the woods this morning - should have taken a head torch though!

• Options

Hovercraft? Very impressive. IoW is nice too

I have full confidence that Gul is going to nail it. It will be like the legendary Terrence Malik coming back to film making after a long break

Still in bed image But got loads of work done and saves putting the heating on. Run later.

• Options

Poacher - in bed at 15:00hrs wtf is going on and how cold is it where you are?!

• Options

a) creating an absolutely enormous PowerPoint presentation on the laptop, very time consuming

b) North Northumberland, bit parky out there

7m along the fields and beach, feeling virtuous again image

As you were 

• Options

Poacher I thought maybe you were coming down with the lurgy as well,seems to have spread everywhere! North Northumberland, no idea where that is but it's gotta be cold what with two North's in the name! Nice 7 miler!!

Visit to the fizz yielded some positive results albeit if I am a bit stuck together. The right knee is still in dodgeville so she taped me up and I am good to go, well at least when I feel less rubbish tomorrow that is. I can now actually bend the blasted thing when I stand on the opposite leg without actually collapsing.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good news on the knee GM and yes Guls HM is the most anticipated event of the autumn. The tension and excitement is almost unbearable.

JD3- I find anything over 800m reps starts to get tough, but it's a great feeling when you see it through. No other choice really. No track for me just an out and back route and they are garmin measured.

The 15 next morning was tough as I'd left it a little late and had to get a move on or would have been late for work. I over did it a bit because a couple of old niggles started playing up but all seems ok today.

Both pairs of my plodding trainers have about 700 miles on them, so about time I changed them.

Hope the knee sorts itself out.

5.5 miles easy at lunch followed by three easy after work because my bike had a puncture and couldn't be arsed to fix it.

12 planned for the morning.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

De-lurks.

Too busy to post, but have skim read.

Re-lurks.

• Options

We are watching you Keir.

I'm already on my third run this week. I'm in danger of becoming a runner.

• Options

GM - hope the trip to the fizz goes well. Ah, I see it did!
    Mennania - racing rather than training seems to make very little difference to my performance for some reason. Also the 5k PB is a parkrun, which I suspect is slightly underdistance.
    JD3 - No pacers as far as I know. And personally I find 2 x 3M a lot easier than 13.1! Hope the knee was OK last night for the 15 miler.
    Lorenzo - head torches are for wimpsimage PS Hope you didn't twist an ankle.
    Poacher - Terrence Malik? I am so uncultured the only Malik I know is Art.
    5 slow miles d&d. Must dash!

• Options

Gul - Malik is a legend whose films are eagerly awaited as he used to wait so long between releases. That's the way we all feel about your next race.  image  Training suggests you are going to have a cracker.

• Options

Lorenzo – it’s nearly headtorch time again. I always feel daft heading out for a midweek MLR in bright sunlight with a headtorch, because it’ll be dark when I get back. Nice hoverposting.

Poacher – hope the power point is going well. I’m always envious of people who get to run along the beach.

GM – glad the knee is improving

Moof- 15 after reps is a good one-two of training I guess. That was my (P+Ds) plan this week, but I ran out of time for 15 on Weds so did it last night instead. I always do my reps round and round a residential street, or up and down the industrial estate.

Keir – hope alls well

Blisters – have you got a race planned, one with just running and no huge warm up,

Gul – I agree that 13.1 is tougher, but I think that 2x3 at those paces is tougher than 13.1 at my HMP. The second of the 3 miles you did was basically my 5k PB.

15 felt pretty good last night P+D style, very easy and relaxed. 1WU, 6@ 8.15, 8@ 7.45. (you may notice I lost count and started the MP+10% a mile too early.

The knee felt OK, certainly no worse than before I nearly stepped on a dog. But my left foot hurt. It started hurting on Wednesdays run, but yesterday started aching after about 10 miles and was quite sore at the end. Today it aches a little and creaks (crepitus?) if I flex my toes up. Google suggests ice and relacing my shoes, any other thoughts? If I run today it will just be 5miles easy as laps of the park to keep impact down.

• Options

JD3 - It's the opposite for me. Head torch needed when I leave the house but it gets bright enough by about 6am so take a pouch to stuff it in.

Another good cycling weekend for us folk down in Surrey. The race actually passes about 400m from our front door so in theory I could nip up to the butchers, watch Sir Brad and Cav fly past and then pick up some veg on the way back home. The only flaw in the plan is that I need to get younger Lorenzito down to a road relay race at the same time so I'll miss it! Bother.  

8.5 miles progressive run for me this morning. Am giving the Garmin the SJ treatment so just ran on feel. Felt pretty good though. 

• Options

GM - Glad the knee is bearing up!

JD3 - Sorry I cant help with your foot, I am sure someone else here can.

Lorenzo - nice early progreesive bagged there

Went out at ten to 7 last night looking like the green cross code man  (inc head torch)as It would be pitch black when I finished, Inspired by Gul I managed a 10 with 5 x 1m at 10k pace or 5.57mm off random recoveries. The intervals felt much better the further into them I got except the last one where my lack of cardio fitness was painfully evident.

• Options

Dragged my sorry sick a## out of bed at 6:15 am this morning and did 5 coughing, snorting, spluttering miles. Defo not firing on all cylinders and 7:40 pace felt closer to 7. Anyhow good to sweat the virus out and hopefully will have a productive w/end running wise. Planning an 8 miler tomorrow and 14 Sunday.

Re torches, no need here if I stay on the coast road during the dark seasons!

Lorenzo nice 8.5 miler! I'm confused, does your butcher sell veg?

JD3 - Remind me what you are training for again pls? Not sure about your foot but mine does that all the time as I have high arches and rigid ankles, so constantly creaking and cracking, does my head in esp when I am trying to sleep.

Moof - Solid training!!

Keir - I was wondering when we woudl hear from you. Hope your fitness is not suffering too much what with your increased workload etc.

Gul - Art and uncultured in the same sentence, very good!

• Options

Seven progessive miles with the club last night after a week off due to CBA Syndrome. Unfortunely they were progressively slower miles and I believe my calves would have GM's physio on danger money. It was fully 6 miles before I felt they stopped twanging each step and were warmed up and running freely. The club has a 10k club championship race on Sunday but I can't see much point when I'd barely be warmed up by the end. Apart from which I'm nowhere near in any shape to run even a slightly decent time, so I prefer not to do it because I just know I'd push myself too hard when I'm not ready. I've entered the Brighton 10k in November when the club goes down en-mass, so much work to do before then. If I can be bothered. I do need to go and visit my Mum in the next few weeks however, so a crack at the new Shrewsbury parkrun may be on the cards, but it'll be depressingly slow.

PMJ - will your foot be ready for Sunday?

• Options

BOTF - I hold the record for the slowest Parkrun here at 1:02:xx - beat that if you can

Nice reps Mennania

I'm getting to love kettlebells more now.  I've learnt a few more advanced excercises and am having a bit of fun with it.  So yesterdays session was 30minutes spinning followed by 50minutes kettlebells.  Today I've been out for 1:40 on the bike and had a fantastic stop to scoff blackberriesimage