Options

strength training

hi all,

I am currently running 7 days a week approx 60 miles a week, and i want to incorporate some strength training, however i'm not sure when the best time to do it is. I don't mind training twice a day, but if i'm tired i don't know how much i will benefit from the stregth training and also i don't want to do it on easy days if it means its going to affect my training on hard days. My routine currently is one long run 16-20 mile, a medium run 11-15, 2 speed sessions, intervals or tempo and some easy running 3-8 miles.

Comments

• Options

This is too specific to put onto an internet forum. Add lots more detail or talk to someone in the real world. What are you training for at the moment? 

• Options
    doug davis 2 wrote (see)

hi all,

I am currently running 7 days a week approx 60 miles a week, and i want to incorporate some strength training, however i'm not sure when the best time to do it is. I don't mind training twice a day, but if i'm tired i don't know how much i will benefit from the stregth training and also i don't want to do it on easy days if it means its going to affect my training on hard days. My routine currently is one long run 16-20 mile, a medium run 11-15, 2 speed sessions, intervals or tempo and some easy running 3-8 miles.

I'm currently on a similar weekly mileage to you (60-70) and I do like to get one gym weights routine in every week. I have stopped doing leg weights (quad/hamstring extensions & squats) simply because they left me with as much grief in terms of discomfort as a fast track session......and I wasn't convinced that the session was adding much to my running performances.

I do still do core work and a full upper body weights routine incorporating between 10 and 30 reps per exercise, the value to running is probably mostly cosmetic. The day that I do this I often do an easy run before the workout (up to 3 miles) and the same after.

• Options
    Next week I'm being given a 13 weeks strength and conditioning program - my friend very very good in sports science and in final year - the study has shown (I'll be doing max vo2 tests) at least 5% improvement over 5-10km times by polishing efficiency and technique

I haven't done any core work before this and I'm excited to give it a go-

I would say you should only be running 6/7 days with a full rest day - now the rest day can be anything just not running - cross/cycle/gym

Im doing less miles but my schedule will be

Sunday - Long run

Monday - Steady + gym

Tuesday - Session

Wednesday - Steady + gym

Thursday - Session

Friday - Rest/cross train / recovery run + gym

Saturday session/ Steady

So 3 gym sessions in there

If you want to build miles (which my plan will be) I will do a steady/easy/recovery run on the day of the session - just usual progression

Id say establish miles + running consistency first - then add gym

You shouldn't be "tired going into hard days"

Ruins the quality of the session and the goal
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Sorry rumbled English - on my iPhone

12 week program -

And he is very very knowledgable - said I couldn't not include it in my running plans
  • Options
    Philomena how can you say it's too specific and ask for more detail?! Who should I ask in "the real world?" I thought a forum of runners would be the best people to

Seek advice from! Not really training for anything at the minute. I'm considering a spring marathon but nothing concrete. Thanks for advice scotch egg and Jamie
  • Options

Doug 

By end of next week I will be formulating a plan to incorporate 3 gym sessions into my running. I am away having lots of stuff done in Brighton Uni 

I am off due to illness (well recovering) at the moment so wont be high mileage but I will post the plan and I will post what stuff I will be doing over the 12 weeks. I will be doing the 3 gym sessions to start before running most likely

My plan will take me from effective 0 mileage ( 0 running for 5 weeks) upto 60+ miles at least per week eventually