Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Ah, sorry, missed the europe bit!

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

AL P -  Start fitness up here have these new Adios at £87 in most sizes and there's a 10% discount on top of that this weekend if you put in the code "SALE10"

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=4070,4071&CAT_ID=4075&P_ID=54325

• Options

I'm not having the 4 hours from the finish line to Surrey either.

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

RS - Thanks, that's awesome. I own you a beer! One pair of Adios Boosts ordered for a squeak under £80, free delivery too image Last year's model/colours, but doubt that will make naff all difference (using TR's shoe buying philosophy here)

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

AL P - no worries mate, I'm always in the shop and checking their site to see what's whatimage 

• Options

From the GNR finish, collect bag and jog to the metro.  Metro to the airport, quick shower at rellies in Ponteland, back to the airport for a flight to gatwick.  20 minutes home from there.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

AL_P - my shoe buying philosophy likes to get them for more like £50 to 60. I'm trying to get my next pair in, in readiness. But the cheapest at the mo is £80 too. I guess that this time of year means prices are high. 

• Options

bufo -- I'm going to be nowhere _near_ you this year in the Cam HM...

Al_P -- hope the treatment pays off.

TT -- seems all is going well for you. Nice speed.

Good proper long run CD. I know what you mean about the applause -- I bet we've all had the congrats from strangers on the Tube as we've been amongst the first VLM finishers they've seen (well, depending on just how long you stay embedded at the Red Lion).

It must be fate -- my legs were a bit decrepid this evening, strong headwind too, and that's after a cutback week (but 21M yesterday). Bit of a niggle on the left tibialis a. too. But I got back to find TWO race numbers waiting for me --  time to pull my finger out.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

TR/Portsmouth natives... I regulary visit Adidas/Nike outlets hoping to get a bargain.  Got 3 pairs for £100 last year.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Toro - bit extreme that ! actually going shopping ! not sure I can face that for a pair of scoobies.

CW - I'm very careful to never mention how fast (or not) I hope to run (on expo day), or how fast I did run on the trains afterwards on race day. Dont want to spoil any ~4hrs peeps glow.

oh yes, 60min of steady turbo, will try for 90min tomorrow and then a "long" run Sunday (which I'm hoping will be 10 to 12M).

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

TR - Dont want to spoil any ~4hrs peeps glow.

This!  That awkward moment when someone in the office says they run, you get excited thinking you have a training partner and they reel off 50min 10k, pleased to break 2hrs at a half and hoping for sub 4:30 marathon.  Oh. Well. Done.  Smile and end of convo.   

• Options

My stomach was terrible earlier on & I had to abort my 8 mile run just over half way through, I knew I should have stopped when I had the opportunity & dropped my guts in McDonalds.

Half an hour walk home where the obligatory pebble dash + Mr Whippy job on the toilet took place *

* Apologies to those who have not had their dinner yet, but we've all been there & feel a lot better when we have got it off our chest so to speak.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Steve, did you make it to the bathroom in McDonalds, or was it like an anti-globalisation dirty protest at the counter?

• Options

With the GNR, we tend to stick about for a fair while afterwards; charity tent then beer tent (take our own tinnies), then stop at every boozer between the finish area and the metro. By the time we're done the metro ques have gone down and we just stroll on. Always stay in Newcastle that night too so there's certainly no rush on our behalf.

Been away a few days this week, was in Leicester for a funeral but have still managed to hit my weekly mileage of 80m which I'm pleased about, always nice to have a trot around somewhere different too.

Some good running, as always, going on here, keep it up boys and girls!

Amusingly, I've been asked to take an assembly at school (I'm a teaching assistant) with the topic of Marathon running in the week before we fly out to Milan. I'll have about 20 minutes to fill with kids aging from 5 to 11.

Was thinking of doing some bits talking about;

* My previous races (Edinburgh, Barcelona and Paris) and tying in some geography too. I'll have the use of Power point so was going to have pics and have the kids guess where they are. The Nou Camp will be popular with the year six lads!

* Maybe getting them involved by wearing the medals & finishes t-shirts from those races.

* Explaining a general days training; a lot of them moan about it drizzling/being cold at lunchtime so was going to tell them of the 20 mile runs at 4.30am in the depths of winter!

* Go through the nutritional side of things to push the healthy eating side (the Head will like that).

* Explain the qualifying times for London/Boston and what I'm hoping for in Milan.

* Getting out the foam roller and having one of the kids have a go (though this will probably need risk-assessing?!), then scaring the sh*t out of them with the Rumble Roller!

Has anyone any other idea's? Obviously needs to be age-appropriate but thought here would be a good place to fish for ideas.....

• Options

It would have cleared the restaurant whether I made it to the toilet or not.

• Options

Bedders. My kids are that age, and I think your list is a good one. My kids have regularly run kids races (typically 1K) and one thing I would say is that they just can't comprehend the marathon distance. One thought could be to build up a story in increments from Usain Bolt et al onwards, or make references to distances in car journeys from the school.  May also be interesting to compare yourself vs Olympic champions, typical 5k fun runners etc in terms of times and training miles.  Also consider the history- the greek bloke dropping dead, the early london marathon with the finish line collapse etc. And they might like to hear about Paula as our british hero.  

• Options

I finished the GNR just 7 seconds behind the Jimbob and was in Start Fitness in Newcastle buying shorts less than half an hour later. 

Can't believe I missed a whole shoe conversation. Damn. Can't you people save the interesting stuff for the weekends? Some of us have to actually do work when we're at work.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Bedders - tell them about Jonesy and why he was so good............and Immodium (that sort of stuff makes kids laugh)...............my youngest had to do a review of his favourite book once at school, at the time his favourite book was the Guiness Book of records........he listed his favourite 10 facts, fastest, highest etc.........and that Maxi Mounds had the biggest breasts in the world !

• Options

Haha fun read-back. As Padams said, there must be a marathon coming. Best vibes to the beniggled.

Have had an exhausting work week so some of my runs haven't really come together quite as I'd hoped in terms of type and intensity. Hoping to make amends this weekend and should still clock 80mpw.

Oh on weight, my best performance to date both empirically and in terms of feel was at 12st 4lbs which for 6'2 is well over the Stillman scale. Every performance under that weight has been poorer by comparison. Just saying. I'm about 1lb above that now.

That link to the Adios Boost is tempting … sadly they don't have 12's in stock so anyone know what they're like for size in the toe box? 11.5 might be okay depending. Edit - ok looks like they are larger in all areas anyway http://gearselected.com/adidas-adizero-adios-boost-review-vs-adios-2/ so that's actually tempting. I loved the Mark I Adizeros. Sigh.

• Options

TR -- I'd never prick a 4hr-runner's balloon, of course -- I just mean wandering round London post-VLM, being among the early batch, I guess we're still a novelty, and I find I get a lot of comments on the Tube etc heading off to rendez-vous with the family. Have had a general round of applause from the restaurant twice where I've caught them up for a friend's birthday lunch bash -- presumably before they've smelt me...

Did a 6M plod today and felt like I was on a mountain ridge at times, getting bodily blown about, and having that problem where you sometimes clip one leg with the opposite foot when the wind gets it. A shocking 8:41/M, but hopefully I can do something more sporty in my long run tomorrow. In general my legs seem more malaised by training now, whereas early in the campaign they seemed to remain quite sprightly -- I'd still love to know physiologically what aspect(s) it is that change so much between 'bouncy' and 'wooden' days, leg-wise.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

HR in 'I'm exhausted' claim while posting on here at 4:16am. Who'd have thought it?

• Options

Yeah not sleeping well at the moment LS21. Long story.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear mate. Same here too actually - you can count on the fingers of one finger how many hours sleep I got last night. Feel shattered today, and the weather isn't helping much either

• Options

Sorry to hear about sleep probs. I rarely suffer this- almost exclusively the other problem.  

Why is our "achievement" any better than that of a four hour marathoner?  I know a fair few who knock out loads of miles and train consistently but don't have physiology allowing them to get any where near the pointy end. And I know many (including most here) who are much better than me. I admire anyone who goes out and gets it done. 

• Options

I've had a health issue exacerbated by running, but it's also to do with teaching. I have to get up at 5am to make the right train to get my morning run in. I've been so knackered from knocking out these 85-90 mile weeks that at weekends I've been going to bed earlier and earlier (6.30pm, 8pm last two nights) that I just end up waking in the wee hours, with that adjective selected for a reason.

To be honest, despite all the lovely comments about pot hunting as a V50 I've had it with marathon training. I'm sick to the back teeth with it especially in this hideous weather. Think this will be my last one and I'll bin Frankfurt. I want to run for fun and fitness and switch the vista e.g. some fells and maybe ultras. The relentless 21+ milers (I'm on 9 already for this VLM campaign after tomorrow) have left me jaded.

Sorry. Moan mostly over. At least on here. Blame teaching too. Anyone who says it's an easy profession, grrrr ...

• Options

HR - I think this weather is getting to most of us. I'm certainly not enjoying getting battered by wind and rain every time I need to train. I'm sure it will all be worth it come the 13th of April. - Maybe a bit of a cut back week is in order?

Did some hill sprints this morning, 9 miles in total with 16 x 200m hills. Not a particularly steep hill so still managed to get a good bit of pace going - quickest one was at 4.30m/m pace.

22 planned for tomorrow with last 9 at MP, then will probably cut the mileage a little next week as starting to feel a little jaded and flat myself.

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Spring term is always extremely stressful. I find running keeps teaching/working in a school in perspective. All the best HR ... make the most of the half term holiday!image

• Options

Yes good points all round. Next week will be a bit of cut back too as my young lad is due to stay with me second half so will even have a rest day and the last one of those was on January 6th.

Nice hill sprints btw A.W.

• Options

HR - You seemed to thrive on the crazy temperatures and travelling, perhaps you should go back to that? 

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

HR - I've been doing this marathon lark for 14 years and increasingly have those sentiments about it. This is probably my last serious stab at it tbh. Trail & ultra probably be the main aim (sort of is already), but hope to keep in sub 3 shape for a while yet. 

26 miles today in a right old mix of conditions (3h15). Last couple very hard. But that's 120+ miles in the past week. Each of the next few weeks will see a reduction.  Not unhappy about that.