Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

the regular miles are really paying off eh! image 

• Options

Nice running Matt

AG well done on your soon to be 1000 great achievement

B2B bat out of hell approach seems to be working...........lets see what happens on Saturdayimage

I did a nice bit of hill training with B2B last night, was lovely out cold and crisp and all the fireworks made it extra nice, was very pleased to be able to run further up the hills than I could manage last night, so think the training is paying off.

Going out for a bit of a family outing this Saturday B2B, my daughter and myself are going off to do our first parkrun image should prove interesting, sibling rivalry and all that, not that anyone in our family is competitive image

• Options

1009 miles so far this year. 49 for November.

Last night's 10 mile slog home was hard work. Was a slow plod but every step felt like it was uphill. Legs felt heavy, stiff and tired. Perhaps the recent increase in mileage is catching up with me.

Having a rest today. If I feel ok tomorrow morning I'll go along and have a crack at a parkrun with my mate.

Enjoy your first parkrun MS. Which one are you going to do?

• Options

Well done AG and good to have a rest today..........think our parkrun will be St.Albans but if the weather is really wet might have to do Barnet instead as St.A gets a bit flooded - Good luck at your parkrun

• Options

Finally! Seems an age ago that I ran but got out after work today with Mrs JR along the canal. Muddy puddles, a decent downpour and 5 miles done, that's more like it. image

November 5.14

2014 - 834.15

• Options

Had a good 6.7m with the running club last night including a nice steep ascent and a 3.3m slow run home to keep warm as much as anything else. After a bit of forum reading and consideration I've decided to take a few days off-rest is an important part of training evidently despite how strange it seems to me. Having looked at my app I see I've done 60+ miles in 12 days since the Great South Run so I'm pushing a bit too hard in all likelihood. I do enjoy running so much and too often I go out for a short run but end up going much further as I feel good and don't really want to stop!

Anyway, I'll just have to go cold turkey until the Parkrun next Saturday!

• Options

Managed 3 runs during the week (1 hour, 1 hour 15 minutes, 1 hour). Parkrun today. Strong wind so no chance of PB. In the end pleased to be only 16 seconds off last weeks time.

Planning some longish runs tomorrow and monday. Then see how it goes before race next Sunday morning (10 miles).

Must say it's difficult to get out sometimes when the weather is so wet and windy, and dark too. Well done to everyone who is.image

• Options

What race you doing Slinger? 

For anyone who doesn't own one already..... 

alpkit Viper head torch £12.50

alpkit Gamma head torch £15.00

Both are FREE delivery and although out of stock due in this month. I have the Gamma, as do a few on here and can recommend.

9 miles this morning. Took it easy and enjoyed the blue skies above on a chilly morning. Perfect running conditions.

November 14.14

2014 - 843.15

• Options

JR: Wimborne 10 - flattish 10 miler

• Options
    Hey folks sorry I hadn't been around much, my lady is finally moving in!!! image I've got the week off to turn the house upside down and somehow get all our crap in it ha ha ha

First ever Park run on Saturday and had a blast! Not used to this quicker stuff so was very surprised to be passing folks at a steady rate and only missing my pb that I set on the treadmill by 14 seconds!!! 24:09 in the end and felt like I could have gone alot quicker!!! Never ever thought I would be anywhere near that, I would have been happy with about 28!! Not bad for a sandal wearing ultra tortoise eh!?image
  • Options

B2B: Brilliant !!!

• Options

nice one B2B. Good luck with the domestic bliss image

I had a crack at a parkrun on Saturday. I rested Friday, to see if it helped my legs not feel so heavy. Was 10s off my PB, despite feeling as though i'd beat it. Never mind. I think the higher mileage (for me, it's all relative) recently has left me a bit sluggish. I fell asleep on the couch on Saturday afternoon for an hour, then slept for 11 hours on Saturday night. Feeling pretty run down at the moment. Rested again Sunday. Might need to dial it back slightly, give my body time to catch up with me.

• Options

Looks a good, fast race Slinger, good luck.

B2B, great time.....sub 24 looks a cert now you know the course too. I think parkrun is one of the best sporting events on the planet. image Good luck with the move-in.

Good running AG, Sounds like a rest is/was needed. There's a lot to be said for having an easy week in every four in my opinion. Your body needs to rest to improve.

Nice easy run tonight as Mrs JR nabbed last nights run slot. It absolutely hammered down! Great fun though image 3.7 miles, run club tomorrow.

November 17.82

2014 - 846.83

• Options

Evening all thought I would stop by and say hello,not running at the moment due to a 6.30 start of a 1.5 hour commute to work, that's 3 hours a day out of my life and I am resenting it big time, hate it in fact

Am missing the running and stupid things like putting my miles in to RW V Fetch forum, filling in my running log etc but most of all miss you guys, Got day of tomorrow so should get out sometime I hope although 4 miles every now and then is not really worth it.

Gotta sort this out - signed up for Great Scottish run next year though.

Yours frustrated and a tad angry reporting Scotland

• Options
    Hi 330, good to hear from you. That's a bummer about the commute. You don't fancy a 5am run then aka Grendel? It's tough when you're not running but stick at it, things change.
  • Options

330- gutted, I also resent commuting. It's dead time. Do you have any options to do a "part commute"? e.g. get off a train a stop or two early, and run the remainder to work, or similar on the way home? Or is it a drive-only commmute?

Does your work situation lend itself to getting out for a short run at lunch?

I went to the track last night (third time ever, and first time in over a year) and did 5x3mins @ 5k pace, with 3min recovery jogs in an effort to encourage a bit of speed into my legs.

I have a quesiton about doing "speed work" since i'm not that experienced with it. Some sources on t'interweb suggest doing the reps at 5k pace, some suggest quicker. I averaged 7:22 per 3min rep, which is bang on my 5k PB pace.

If i understand correctly, the speed work is intended to provoke physiological changes that make running faster possible, rather than pick an arbitrary "faster" pace and try to run it. Is that the jist?

• Options

AG, good idea re part commute. We have showers at work I may take advantage of one day.

As far as the speedwork goes I use

mcmillanrunning.com

My 5k time is 23:29, so about 7:30 pace. If I was doing 400m reps I would be aiming at 6:54 to 7:00 pace. 800m reps would be 6:56-7:14. There's loads of stuff online but I have found this site very useful and it takes the guesswork away. It gives you your pace for 400,800,1200,1600m reps. Paces for easy, long and recovery runs. Steady runs, Tempo runs, sprint paces, the lot. You simply enter a recent race/run time over a specified distance from 5k to a marathon and it works out your run pace. As you improve you simply recalculate. 

• Options

Fartlet session tonight with the running club. Great session and amazing how much faster my sprints were running with the group. Went in three groups tonight and I was in the second group. Most of the people in our group run 20-22 minute 5k's so you can imagine what the fast group was like image. Tried not to get carried away on the first circuit knowing we were going round three times. Second time round it was clear a few had gone off too quick on their sprints and suffered from then on. I was up at the front second time around and third time too. We were asked by the guy who took the session if we wanted a fourth lap and I was first to head back to the start. We only did the first three sprints though and to be honest I was well up for going the whole loop but a good session. There was one super quick guy in our group who's not long back from injury but I actually beat him on the last sprint giving it everything. 4.67 miles in total.

Handicap week next week and lots of the clubs members are running the Drogo 10 this Sunday. At the moment I cannot go due to my daughters football but there's a good chance it will be cancelled so may get to enter on the day. Mrs JR doesn't fancy it, it's mainly off road with a killer hill at mile 8. Sounds good to me. 

November 22.49

2014 - 851.50

• Options

a couple of ploddy jogs home wed and thur evenings, making 11 runs so far for Nov. Just shy of 80 miles for Nov, and 1040 for the year.

Legs felt a little heavier than normal, since Tuesday's run. I guess that's my legs' response to the "speed" work. Hopefully that means it's doing the job (building muscle / encouraging the physiological changes needed to make me race faster).

I noticed the same last week, i.e. following the tuesday "speed" session, the runs on wed and thurs were sluggish and my legs felt heavy, stiff and tired. Hopefully as I get used to the weekly speed session I will adapt.

• Options

3.38 miles today after work. Didn't have time to go further due to an appointment. Ran with Mrs JR  on fairly tired legs which seemed to free up the further we went. 

November 25.87

2014 - 854.88

• Options

Well all I have had some good news - I am now in the Glasgow Office. York Street to be precise and there are some great routes for running along the Clyde where the are proper paved boardwalk areas,Ssecondly there is a shower no more than 10 yards from my desk - so lunchtime running maybe on the cards !!!!

Woo hoooooooo !!!!!!!

• Options

Got back into it today but after 9 days of no exercise it was more difficult than I expected-not so much during the run but afterwards. Nevertheless I achieved my target time with a few seconds to spare, hopefully I won't ache so much after Tuesday's club run! A minor head cold and a lack of sleep last night didn't help I'm sure.

• Options

Sorry been missing, things got a bit hectic at work and home

AG you are still putting in a lot of miles

JR great running as always Mr & Mrs JR

330 great news on the job front, wish I had a shower at work life would be soooo much easier image

Matt well done for getting out hope the head cold get better soon.

First time out for me today since parkrun last Saturday, managed 6 miles, but my left ankle was playing up a bit from about 2 miles and my left glute wasn't playing the game, think I will have to work harder this week, then it's off to the Running show on Saturday with B2B really looking forward to that.

Happy running all

• Options

330, that's great, we need a like button on here! image

MS, what's the running show? (intrigued)

• Options

So pleased as at last I can get out at Lunchtimes - only draw back is I need to stay at work longer to justify it and wont be home till 6.30

However, this will only be in the winter as its to dark to run when I get home as there are not many paved areas where I live and cant chance just running on the roads as its pitch black with no street lights

• Options

Thanks JR !!

But the road around here are very country like and although traffic is very light still would want to be on those roads in the dark. But looking forward to getting out at lunch along the banks of the Clyde. Saw lots of runners heading out so thought I would go and see where they were heading and its perfect - off the roads which is good

Feeling a bit down really as the beginning of the year saw a 100 mile January, I was full of enthusiasm and looking at marathons etc in the future. Be good to get back at it but need a push, as I say signed up for Great Scottish run next Septemeber so that's one goal, also hopefully our local Half will be back next year as well

One day maybe The Loch Ness Marathon - my ultimate goal

• Options

Shame 330, I am surrounded by country lanes here but lucky to have a very quiet loop including some tow path and one fairly well lit stretch. It's only 1.3 miles long but when it's really dark or miserable a safe option as the pitch black bits are almost exclusively off road. No point reaching all our targets I suppose, you'd have nothing left to aim for. image

Couldn't make the Drogo 10 today so stuck to the schedule and ran an easy 10k instead. Easy run tomorrow and then club handicap 5k Wednesday evening.

November 32.14

2014 - 861.15

• Options

+1 for lunchtime running, 330. Means running in daylight in the winter, which is always a bonus, esp with my propensity for twisting my ankle on some loose paving stone in the dark.

I'm going to go out for a jog at lunchtime myself. I've not run since Thursday night, first time i've had 3 days complete rest for a while, and I think it's helped me feel a bit more recharged.

Part of the reason that I've not run since Thurs night, is because i've been busy excitedly working on another project. My missus and I went for a 12 week scan on Friday, and so far as they're able to tell at this stage, everything looks very good, which means I'll become a father at the end of next May. Woohoo! I'm VERY, VERY excited.

This does mean that the Manchester marathon in April will probably be my last for a little while, as I adjust to 2 hours sleep per night, so I intend to dig in over the winter and make the best possible effort next April for a PB. I'm not going to set any kind of time goal, at least not until much nearer the race, when i know how training has gone, i'm just going to train hard (and i'll also have to train smart, so I leave enough time for all my other responsibilities in the next few months) this winter and see where the chips fall.

• Options

Congratulations AG image I did giggle when you said you'd been 'busy excitedly working on another project'.....image 

Nice easy 3.25 miles tonight around the block. Did a few strides at the end to loosen up. 

November 35.39

2014 - 864.40