Options

Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Dont know why that reposted, apologies

• Options
    Busy week at work so only 2 runs (1x5 miles, 1x4.5 miles with 10x1min reps) since Sunday's half. 3 hour run tomorrow which will be my longest ever training run. Will not be pushing for pace but want to spend time on my feet.
  • Options

That has been my theory and hope it rings true.  3 hours on the feet, 20 miles in training building up to 3:15 on the feet 22 miles is hopefully good training for 3:30 on the feet 26.2 miles on the day so only 15 miles of no mans land which seems more preferable to 3.5 miles of no mans land.

• Options
    3 hour run completed. Certainly not enjoyable as it was cold, wet and windy plus there were some seriously dangerous drivers out; one nearly clipped me on a quiet road (I was facing oncoming traffic) as he didn't budge one bit over to the right so left me with about a foot to squeeze through. Then shortly after another nearly clipped me who was going in the same direction as me so was clearly well over the right hand side of the road. Anyway, it's by far my longest duration training run and made sure I kept it at a slower pace than the 20 miler a few weeks ago. Managed just over 23 miles at 7:46 mm.

I hope everyone else has had better weather for their runs. Not too long to go now!
  • Options

Great running Lombster!! 23 miles is a serious effort, fair play.

Had a 10 mile race this morning which went pretty well but i went off far too slowly so gave myself too much to do but happy to finish strong with a couple of sub 6 minute miles for miles 9 and 10. Downside was that i got lapped!!

• Options
    Cheers J Swizzle. Better to have a strong finish with more in the tank than blow up from going out too quick. I assume the laps were only a short distance? One of my 1 min reps yesterday was at 4:41 pace which for me was going some. Really puts things into perspective when elite marathoners can do that kind of pace for just over two hours and I can't manage two minutes!
  • Options

Doing 18 mile run tomorrow image Not looking forward to it.

• Options

Lombster you are right about pacing but almost felt a little guilty finishing with so much left. Legs thanked me, although they don't know that i may be doing a 20 mile run in the morning with the wife as we have childcare.

Laps were pretty short just over a 1.5 miles and winner was only one to pass me and he finished in 51:40.

4:41 is flying!! elite's are something else keeping that kind of pace for 2 hours blows my mind.

Tracey, good luck in the morning. Bet the worst part will be thinking about the run once you get going sure you will enjoy it.

• Options

Afternoon all

well Bath H/M for me to day did it in 1:46:09 which is about 4 minutes slower than last year and over 5 minutes outside my PB i have to admit I've been playing with the training for Brighton this year just can't seem to find the enthusiasm I've had in previous years

Well it showed today as i started off at 7:25m/m with ever mile getting gradually slow by the 13th mile it was down to 8:33m/m

so i think it's going to be just get around this year at Brighton will sign up for next year but I'm going to have to see how i feel when December comes as to whether i can be bothered to train for another one

but this year I’m going to go back to the approach i adopted after Brighton 2013 and only run the training distances  i need for the race I’m training for and not keep up the heavy mileage i did this year

• Options

Sorry to hear that Al

• Options
    20 miles for me today my first run ever at that distance 2hr 41 felt ok all the way round but my calves where on fire once I'd finished spent the rest of the day on the sofa watching all three games
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ran 18 miles yesterday image

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

As BM is only next month now image I'll check in here now and then and let you know if I hear any useful news and can answer questions about local knowledge - I live in Brighton and volunteer for BM every year.

If you're making a weekend of it, parkrun will still be going ahead in Preston Park (and Hove Park) on the Saturday, including going under the marathon start line if you want a leg loosener or your  support team want a run and this is followed by the kids MiniMile races in the park, so it's a busy day as a warm up for your run and my 4.30am start on Sunday image.

• Options

20 miles on Saturday and feeling good 2hrs56mins (could a sub 4 may be in reach for brighton who knows Im still aiming for the finish line first and foremost!) - this was my longest ever run and whilst I felt pretty achy at 17 miles but 1 mile later i had a bizarre rush/ high and felt invincible for the last couple of miles and the last mile was the fastest- i was not expecting that!

Hope everyone else had a good weekend

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Great long runs people!!

Giles Sub 4 is well on, with a little fresher legs and a few more 20 milers under your belt you may really surprize yourself with your time.

Great work Marshy, first 20m in 2:41 is very impressive! hope the calves feel good today.

Toby, sorry to hear it is not all going to plan hope the miles in the bank can come through for you on race day. 1 bad race is not the end of the world.

33 total miles for me for the weekend including a lovely 20miler with the wife along the river. A bit slower than normal for the 20m but may allow me to recover enough to run another 20 on Thursday before a cut  back week.

• Options

Toby I know how you feel. Same for me, I have no enthusiasm this year and think it might be my last, all my times this year have been slower than for last 3 years as i really cant be bothered anymore.

As with you toby, I might sign up for it and see how it goes around december time.

managed 20 miles in the wind and rain on saturday morning - oh what fun!

• Options

1.43 for the half yesterday Rob? Pleased with that? 

• Options

Steyning Stinger yesterday, a VERY muddy 26 miles on the South Downs. Absolutely love this race image

• Options

Lombster if you can do training runs of 23 miles in 3 hrs thats seriously good and must be close to sub 3 territory!

which half was that Phil / Rob?

• Options

Eastbourne, as stated by Rob last week.

• Options

Did get my bum out the door today 10 miles never bothered about the time i think i need to go back to basics and just run for fun

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭
    1:42:40 for Eastbourne some killer hills meant I averaged over 8:30 for first four miles but then 7:30 last nine would do 1:38 on a flat course
  • Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭
    Still a PB by ten full minutes
  • Options

Hi All - Some great training runs going on - great efforts.

I'm pleased to be maintaining my 3 x per week (an increase on prev years).  Long runs up to 20 so far (2 laps of 10 miles both run at the same time).

Feeling lethargic this week but planning a 21 miler on Sunday.

• Options

Great stuff Rob

• Options
    Hi all. As per usual entered this forum late!

Same as toby done all 5 BM so far.

Was gonna give this a miss once I realised the

Hotels caught on early and hiked there prices

For this weekend. Managed to get in at gatwick

Travel lodge for ??31 and train ticket for ??12 so

Decided to do it. Scuppered my training a bit as was

planning MK a month later. Back on track now

And looking to do a good race at Finchley 20 on Sunday

In 14 degree sun!!!!!

Toby3 here we go again. I felt the same as you after last years

Race so I took a few months off and done lots of different training.

Didn't run a mile. Came back rejuvenated and smashed my half PB and looking to pb at brighton. Just a thought ????
  • Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭
    Great running Rob!! Confidence must be building nicely now.

Having a mental debate with myself weather or not to run the scheduled 20m on Thursday given I did a 20m on Sunday (all be it at a slower than normal pace).

Got a cut back with after Thursday and really felt benefit of the long runs during the race on Saturday but injuries scare me with not that much time left.

Any thoughts???
  • Options

My thoughts are that long runs are done on a Sunday. Protect that Sunday morning long run. I would not and have not EVER done my long run on a Thursday. Every Sunday now is a rehearsal for the marathon.

• Options

sunday / thursday? does it matter what day? or am i missing something ?

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Phil sometimes life gets in the way so only option for a long run was Sunday last week while i normally do my long runs on a Thursday, was not sure about them being 4 days apart.

2 kids and 2 people training for a marthon means schedules are not always ideal.