Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm not posh, I'm just from the south-east.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

So is SG, isn't he?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Stop undermining me, Pete. I am from a bit of the south east with a very neutral accent that might, by the uninitiated, be mistaken for a posh accent but actually isn't. So there.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah, same area, and no one has ever called me posh.

Compared to Lit I sound like one of the roughest speaking geezers ever.

Not quite as rough as PubPhil's accent, but close image

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

I thought I was defending you image.

• Options
    Good luck all racers (come on Bob!), parkrunneurs and parkrunneuses, posh or geezerish. Personally I will be rocking that trail thing at Worcester parkrun and hoping for a new course PB (19.33 to beat). Actually got my son to agree to do it too.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Good luck all.

I always need to stop for a wee on long runs.

Pete, in my experience clever does mainly equate to people thinking you're posh. Especially via written media.

Lit, I was wondering about telling everyone about the increased poo during period thing, but felt it was too much eww for one sentence image

I will never forget DT eating a banana in a portaloo...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I don't have periods on that basis alone!

That was an oasis of calm in a tense moment.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    I visited another parkrun this morning, Newark. It's a silly course (very twisty, lots of slippy grass and some steps) and was bloody windy, finished in 20:17, which I'm reasonably happy with, although I had hoped to be closer to 20.

Good luck racers.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I got called posh at school as my Northern accent wasn't quite as pronounced as everyone elses.  Then when I went to university and encountered privately educated people for the first time in my life I was deemed Northern and not posh.  After years in the South Mids I speak very neutrally and am deemed posh again when we go back oop North.  image

Was that the disabled portaloo that you set up camp in, DT?

Nice parkrunning on a tricky course, Tommy.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Tommy.

MCF, the banana camp was at vmlm.

I lose lose with poshness. On a routine basis my welsh accent gets mocked but when I visit the valleys I get abused for being posh and sounding 'English'!
  • Options
    Splendid 20 miler Mace. I am concerned about the beach hut owners reaction on discovering your little gift.

I have never been called posh. Sometimes when I go back to Hull I get the occasional " 'ark at you av yer swollered a dictionary?". That's mums for you.

A mildly difficult morning has been navigated. A leak sprung in the bathroom and now there is a bit of the ceiling below missing but the offending joint has been located and sealed up. Need a plasterer in now.

6 miles of recovery running, strides and hill drills before all that on an otherwise splendid day.

Good work on the parkrun Tommy image
  • Options
    Good one Tommy.

I got 19.28 at Worcester parkrun. It was hard but I have now achieved my devious plan of getting 10 course PBs on the trot. I don't care if it's for 13.1 miles - I'm looking forward to HM pace.
  • Options
    Well done Charlie - as the ground firms up and you get better trained I fancy you will keep that going.
  • Options
    Nice times Charlie and Tommy.

Must have been gorgeous running Coniston today Madbee - so lucky to get such a glorious day for it - the year I entered it was called off on the Friday due to two feet of snow.

Good luck tomorrow McFlooze and Bob - surely no weather excuses this time - smash it!
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Well done Charlie and Tommy!

Bloody fabulous day at Coniston image  Put in a solid run, a little bit quicker than planned (I wanted to try MP on for size, but got carried away!).  Finished in 1:41:23, 19th lady and 9th in my age cat - can't complain as I didn't exactly smash myself.  Enjoyed breaking my Lenten fast afterwards too... Cracking pubs in Coniston!

• Options
    Well done Madbee - there is a massive HM PB hiding somewhere in those 13.875 lumpy miles!

One of my daughters spent a summer working in The Crown in Coniston - I'd be surprised I that wasn't one of the pubs you visited.
  • Options
    Nice work Madbee, Charlie & Tommy.

Successful outing here too running within myself to play it safe after Rushcliffe. More later... image
  • Options

Great Bob and well done Madbee. You both deserve a image and perhaps a party hat.image

A tired 15.8 miles for me this morning. Gangs of geese out in force on the canal paths. That brings me to 59.3 miles for the week. About time I cut back I think.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Solid parkrunning from Tommy and Charlie (yet again!) 

Madbee, that was a great time for a training run!  I was in Coniston for the race weekend last year but only for mountain walking.  Stayed at The Crown, which is indeed a cracking pub.

Couldn't resist a quick stalk, Bob.  I'll save my comments until after your, no doubt epic, race report!

Muddy, I can empathise with your tired run.  I did 18k in the sunshine this afternoon to reach a total of 67k for the week.  My longest single run and biggest week since last August.  Feeling it now and am off for a soak in the bath image.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Not quite a PB.  1.37.26.  But only a minute away and the course was really rather undulating compared to pancake flat Tissington (where I set the PB).  I felt like I set off on quite tired legs from last weekend as well.  So all told a good day at the office and I feel in a good place for London.  Only one more race now (and maybe a cheeky parkrun) until the big one.  

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

That's a great time, McF!  Probably best not to smash out a HM pb on a toughish course, only a week after setting a 10k pb and so close to VMLM - you don't want to peak too soon image.  What's your other race?

• Options
    Well done on the increasing kilometrage Pete. I hope you had a good soak.

That's a top effort McFlooze. Amazing how quickly you've regained your prior level.
  • Options
    Great running Pete and that's big miles Muddy - more than I've ever done in a week.

McF - well done - I think at the start if this campaign you were looking for the campaign to get you back in the shape you were in pre pregnancy and sounds like you have achieved that so you should be well pleased.

I had a good run today after a day off fell walking while I got over my jet lag.

Plan said 17 but I should have raced yesterday so decided to aim for something a bit tougher with 2m WU then 5m at MP+30, 5m MP+15 and final 5miles at MP.

Came out at 7:10 av, 6:55 av and 6:41 av with av for whole 15 6:55 which makes the run sound a bit harder than I had intended - realised halfway through final 5 that next time I do a long run at MP will be the marathon itself - eek!!

Wonder what time Bob will be publishing his book - I managed 3 posts last week for my race report so am in no position to poke fun. I presume it must have a PB at the end if it so advance party hat. Well done.
  • Options

Great stuff, McF! Good running Skinny & Pete, proper catch up with everyone else tomorrow.

Lincoln report coming up...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've refused to commit to anything viewing wise in anticipation of the race report. Sat back with some prosecco, patiently waiting.

Well done, MCF. I'd do a party hat if my phone gave me option.

Good mileage, Muddy. My max is 57 and at time it felt fine.

Good session there as well skinny.

Well done Madbee also.

Anyone I've missed?

Hilly 12 miles today took me to 40 for week. Still hurts to breathe though following last weeks fall.

Has anyone not stalked Bobs result out of interest?
  • Options

Lincoln 10k

Conflicting emotions going into this one. Training has gone well all winter, racing a bit less so. The morning dawned bright, chilly and calm - ideal really, and although I felt a bit rough, and a calf decided to grumble, I put this down to pre-race hypochondria and put both out of my mind. A big gathering for this one with my wife, sister-in-law, nephew and his girlfriend all running as well, and thus lots of support from the rest of that side of the family.

Interminable queues for the loos delayed the warm up, but I was happy enough with what I got in, the legs felt lively, the morning malaise had passed, and entering the pens, seeing a couple of familiar faces, we waited to get on with it...and waited...and waited...and waited. A 999 call on the course it seems. Grrr.

10 minutes later, finally we're off, and I'm probably a bit far forward. The plan to go off within myself at around 6:15s is immediately out of the window, and I'm sucked into a 5:58 first mile. Ooops. I feel fine, but wary of what happened at Rushcliffe, I let the average pace I'm tracking myself by slowly drift back towards 6:05, and then settle into a rhythm - this is nice. Beep - too nice...6:22 for Mile 2 says the Garmin. Oops again. Right, wake up FFS.

Settling into a rhythm again, but this time keeping a closer eye on pace, there's a nice little group forming round me, and despite a bit of an incline as we head towards the 5k mark, the pace is rock steady at 6:10. A former 'rival' of Lit as one of the leading local ladies down here who seems to currently be on the comeback trail after some time out, comes past. She's likely to be a far smarter runner than me, I'll use her as a pacer rather than constantly referring to the GPS.

6:12 for Mile 3, and through 5k in 19:15 feeling fine - this'll do nicely. Apart from the climb to the cathedral at the end, we're probably at the highest point of the course here, and the next 2 miles are gently downhill, I begin to push on. 6:10 for Mile 4 feeling ruddy marvellous and full of running. Thanks to Nat Teece for the pacing, but she's one of several I ease past in Mile 5 - 6:04, and 30:45 at 5 Miles. Since Mile 2 the average pace has never wavered outside of a tight range of 6:09 to 6:11, and it currently reads 6:09. Time for the final climb, and I remember how much this hurt last year - do I want to hurt myself like that again...?

I barely ran in anger for 6 weeks afterwards, I'm happy with the time I'm heading for, so decide I'll just try to keep my rhythm and rather than pick up pace, will wait until average pace drops below 6:10/mile then abandon reference to the Garmin, and just push on without ragging myself from there. At this point last year we were into the teeth of a strong southerly, and as folk were blowing up spectacularly all round me, the cacophony of the crowds combined with the effort I was pouring on had made me giddy. Today I'm able to lap up the atmosphere, and whilst I'm working hard, am enjoying what has been a cruise from first mile to last.

There's the finish line, a final pick up of pace, across the line and stop the watch. Right, let's have a look...38:25...almost a minute off the PB - later revised down to 38:24 on the chip - again, that will do nicely.

A winter's training finally sees some tangible reward, and although it will have to wait for another day, I'm confident there's plenty more in the tank. image

A 5 minute PB for Mrs BBB who is now well down into 53:xx territory, and good debuts for the other 3 too. Massive roast in the pub afterwards...today was a good day.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/726536627<

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Pete - It's the Massey Ferguson Easter 5.  Which I think will be a thread smackdown with DT.  And anyone else?   Another short, sharp race - meant to do a 17 the day after but feeling a little light on 20's so will make that one a 20.  

Muddy - I guess I've been training again for 6 months.  But I've always been a bit shit at consistency so 6 month blocks, followed by periods of idleness/pregnancy, have been my norm.  I'm thinking after London we hit summer racing season (and certainly not planning any more pregnancies) so will be interesting to see where I can get to.  

Pete - your training and recovery sounds like it's going really well and you're getting back to it.  Any racing plans?  

Skinny - that sounds like a great run, hopefully it will give you confidence as well.  Only 4 weeks to go for you now!  

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Oooh, cross- post with Bob.  image  Sounds like a nice jaunt out you had.  My race was one of grimacing and digging in and building ones character.  Yours was all lalalalalaa and skipping up the bloody hill, hand in hand with Lit's nemesis.  Well done to Mrs Bob though.  Hope she tried a bit harder than you image

Good reward for all the hard work (and long runs) you put in over the winter.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Bob. There's a touch of Muddy in there somewhere. Well done to your wife also. I've been encouraging mine to enter our local 10k. She went out for her first run since November a few weeks ago. She was complaining her knee hurt. She then told me she'd run for an hour in racing flats! I obviously stepped in at that point.

MCF, muddy will also be there.