Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

RicF, let me get this right - I understand the mitochondria/cappilaries bit but... you are bulking up by doing lots of slow running?

• Options

That's all you need Marrows a period of uncertainty - when is next instalment?

How did it show itself to you again - just pain in your foot? On the top or beneath?

Pete - we'll have to have an arm wrestle one day! Mr Overdone It Puniverse image.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    Pete - we'll have to have an arm wrestle one day! Mr Overdone It Puniverse image.

I shall look forward to it, Skinny image

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Oh no, Marrows image.  Hope it's not cracked.  Will they do an MRI to confirm?  What have they said about running?  And how did your aqua running go?  

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Ric - Yes I agree with the importance of laying down an aerobic base phase and its probably true that most runners don't focus on this area enough.  However during your aerobic phase you are missing out by ignoring marathon paced running. Running at maximum aerobic intensity (without going anerobic) will stimulate your aerobic development more than simply running all runs at a steady pace. 

You also mention periods of speed work but say the particular form is irrelevant. Not sure what you actually mean by this? I'm assuming you mean VO2 max work but maybe you mean basic speed work. Either way you are missing out lactate threshold work. Which seems strange since its one of the most important factors in determining  10k to half marathon race pace.

Marrows - Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Skinny - Please can we set up a thread arm wrestling competition? We can have a gold cell and everything.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mr V, 

Not to worry, all energy systems are covered in turn. 

In a protracted way, I'm suggesting it would do a lot of runners a lot of long term good to go easy for weeks on end before bringing in tougher training.

Most runners are trying to do everything at once. There's at least one I know of who appears to be base building, strengthening, sharpening, tapering, racing, recovering, recovering from injury, and all in the same week.

🙂

• Options

According to one of those stupid BBC interative tests the place in the UK that would provide me with the best life satisfaction (86%) is 

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_210.PNG

That must be near some of you? Fortunately Carlisle gives me 81% so its not really worth moving to improve my life satisfaction by 5%.

What a load of shite!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Ric, yep i agree , most of my mileage build was at 70% max HR so all very easy - when i started running more seriously i followed the HADD thread and i'm a believer in going easy at 70% HRmax or MP and quicker. I try and avoid doing anything at all in the 'dead zone' between - can't see the point in working harder then necessary.

The guy at my club seems to be better at shorter distances which perhaps suggests that it's overall mileage that builds endurance rather than one weekly long run.

Skinny - i've never even heard of the place

Bob - your 10k brief summary is less brief than my race reports image

Lovely morning for a BAC session - 3 mins easy after and before MP, 2mins easy between T reps

20mins MP

5 x 4mins Threshold

20mins MP

14ish miles inc w/u and c/d

Quite a tough session but flew by !!

EDIT - this replaced the 5 x 600 which i was supposed to do yesterday but because of my slightly sore calf at the weekend ( after Friday's 20 with 14@MP ) i gave it an extra day to make sure it was ok. That's me being sensible, see !! image

• Options

BAC?

Sounds like a good session and no reaction I presume?

I binned my VO2 session this morning after half a mile of the warm up as my left achilles/bottom of calf felt a bit odd so jogged home - by time I got home it seemed to have loosened up but to be super safe I left it at that. Rest day tomorrow so can either try again at lunch or in the morning - looking at forecast lunchtime today is definitely when I should be going. 

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Skinny:  I have some friends who live in Gedling.  It's a pretty good place to live but I think you're better where you are near the Lakes!  I got rural Lincolnshire imageimage.  Clearly I'm not the man I thought I was!

mace/Ric:  I'm also a Hadder but can't really run at 70% for any distance at this stage in my recovery so trying to keep below 75% for most runs with a subLT run at 80-83% once a week. I think this is supposed to be just below MP effort and Hadd claims you are "pushing up the lactate threshold from below".  I certainly found them beneficial when I was seriously Hadding during winter 2013/2014 and they are not hard (in my opinion, your honour).

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Mace – Sounds like a toughie! Glad to see you being sensible image

Skinny – Take care, sounds like you are also being sensible. You are pretty much at cotton wool time now anyway.

I somehow managed to lose my training group last night so ended up having to do the session on my own! Didn’t really fancy it but at least it was an easy one (5x30, 5x90, 5x30). There was too much fiddling with my watch to get very accurate paces but it was a nice leg turnover session in prep for Sunday. Early forecast looking ridiculously windy but I guess there’s plenty of time for that to change.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I got Ashby-de-la-Zouch, which oddly is a place name i've always liked. That gave me 78%. Though if i were to take it seriously, i could just move 20 miles to central warwickshire for 77%. Not sure what happens there (other than lots of good races) that is not available on my own patch.

• Options

Sounds like my personality type is simply more satisfied with life than yours DT?

86 max v 78 max. 

What was your max Pete?

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Haha - 46%.  Grumpy old git!

• Options

image - what was it really?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    You are obviously a glass half full kind of guy, Skinny. Pete is clearly a 'there's barely anything in there, you're wasting my time even discussing it' kind of guy.
  • Options

I'll bet when Lit does it she gets 98% and St Andrews!

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

It really was 46% when I did it first thing today.  Just did it again and got 71%.  So "grumpy old git who even argues with himself".  It depends what's in the glass, DT.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hahahaha. The worst place for me is Carlisle with 31%.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mace, at last, someone who really understands. You are a genius and I'm not being sarcastic. 

The Dead Zone. I know it and so do you.

To the uninitiated, the Dead Zone is that area where the training (running) is too fast for building or recovery but not fast enough to trigger an adaptive response.

It exists. And most runners train there.

🙂

• Options

Max of 66% in West Lindsey; 62% in Leamington; rising slightly to 64% in Stratford.

Worst location is Anglesey - though at 55% I would not be massively less happy.

Tommy - inspired by your query last week.  I Did a TRX session with the running club on Saturday morning.  Really enjoyed doing it, but suffered severe doms in quads and glutes on sunday and monday.  I'm going to try and do a bit more now the weather is a bit better.

• Options

Interesting fact about West Lindsey -  The north-south route is the A15, officially the straightest road in the UK.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Reminds me of the end of Pale Rider

her voice echoing through the mountains Preacher? Preacher? We all love you Preacher... I love you!... Thank you! Good-bye!

Reminds me of what Jon Voight said at the end of the film 'Deliverance'.

Live with it.

🙂

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

RicF:  Good to have you contributing on here.  Just to be clear, are you saying there is no value at all in Hadd's subLT running?

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

West Lindsey, wherever that is at 71%.  But where I live is 69% so I'll stay here.  

Got the VLM final instructions today.  Do you not find out what pen you are in until the expo?  Or can anything be gleaned from your number? I'm on the blue start.   

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Ah, same as my husband. Odd.  Or not I suppose.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Lou, your interesting fact is boring and crap. Yrs grumpily
  • Options

Marrows - I was looking for reasons that I might be happier there.  That was all I could find.

McF - A match made in north east lincolnshire. image