Options

Jeremy Clarkson is sacked!

If it is true that he verbally abused the producer for over 20 mins and hit him he deserves to be sacked. Whether Top Gear is a brilliant programme or not is not the issue. It seems that Clarkson thinks he above everyone else. 

Comments

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The full report will be published in due course, but the current brief outline suggests a 20 minute continued verbal assault which was followed by 30 seconds of violence and the victim ending up in a&e.

Even without the finer details it is obvious that he had to be sacked. If the newspaper reports of racist comments are backed up in the report then he will hopefully have nowhere to go for employment, with the exception of being the UKIP MP for his part of Oxford. David Cameron must be shitting himself.

Those who want him reinstated probably share his views on foreigners too so they might see him as a hero.

The show will go on. It might even benefit from some new faces.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

There was no other decision to be taken. People are entitled to not be shouted at and abused, let alone punched, at work. Regardless of how long and stressful a day it has been. And regardless of how much money might be lost due to the departure of "talent".

I wonder if Clarkson will now be shunned by other broadcasters, having said so many offensive things in the past, or whether he will be the subject of a bidding war.

Top Gear's best is years ago but it's still a pity that it's ended this way. Clarkson was funny for a time but he's had his head firmly planted in his arse for a number of years now. I hope he will go the way of Chris Evans and return as a nicer bloke after a period of reflection.

• Options

I liked watching top gear, it made me laugh and it's a shame for the programme.  That said, you cannot go round punching people because you cannot have a steak!!  It's just ridiculous.  The Beeb has done the right thing because ultimately, like any other corporation, they have a duty of care to their staff and being assaulted at work is not acceptable.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The saddest thing about Clarkson being dropped is that it leaves nobody to articulate the opinions of privately-educated wealthy middle-aged white men.

• Options
    And some bloke has left some band.....
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Absolute legend. Classic banter. Another victory for the PC brigade. And other such shit...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the amount of warnings he'd had was getting silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was his  idea with that Falklands number plate either.

Oh wait, that was purely accidental

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I stopped watching Top Gear several years ago. But I might be tempted to return if they hire Suzy Perry to present it. Wearing her motorcycle leathers.

Ding dong!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Her from the gadget show? UKIP would never sanction that.
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Top Gear best was years ago. I remember an episode 5 or 6 years ago where they made motorhomes and Clarkson's was a white Citroen 3 storey thing and thinking yeah they're scraping the barrel here. The odd episode since then has been good but it as tired and too forced.

I'm maybe being very cynical but in my opinion I'm not wholly sure contract renewal time and this aren't totally unrelated, nothing would surprise me.
  • Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I am not really interested in cars. image But have watched Top Gear a few times and have been amused. Clarkson seemed a very good presenter. I thought that if the Beeb sacked him, the other channels would snap him up.

But if it is true that the producer ended up in A&E, maybe not!

I agree that Clarkson acts a lot as if he was god's gift and irreplaceable. Which is like someone else, who is not to be mentioned.

• Options

When you get to the stage and your punching people in anger and not because they have actually threatened your body or those you care for or even those you don't something isn't right.

All the other stuff was just leading up to this maybe. Either way the violence is an indication of some underlying problem.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    If hst had been delivered by any other comedian it would be funny. But Mr Lee is as boring as fook.
  • Options
    I've seen this video posted several times on FB by people who seem to think it represents comedy talent. This guy is an arse.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    It's going to be wierd seeing Richard May and the other one pretending to be some new presenter's hangers on chums
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've had the feeling that the program has been running on empty for sometime. The format and antics have become tired and almost predictable. The presenters are also getting tired and predictable.

Clarkson has a lot on his plate (not steak obviously) and it appears that its 30 hours of filming (min) for each hour shown to viewers. He was tired, fed up, knackered. Take your pick. Sadly the fatigue has boiled over into this incident; and he has previous on thumping people (Piers Morgan).

There's a limit to what can be condoned. He had to go.

🙂

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know he punched Piers (me meme) Morgan. That must almost make up for calling someone 'a lazy Irish... Insert expletive here' (and repeat for 30 minutes).
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Thumping Piers Morgan should definitely be regarded as mitigation.

• Options

He's found alternative employment as a DJ:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8761531374903d9b291ccd2cebf93de0/tumblr_msb3lhwVDE1qmkzlko1_500.gif

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I don't think the beeb had any choice.
    Personally I find Clarkson amusing , ditto the programme. 
    I'll be interested to see the outcome of the full investigation (possible police charges, assault etc.) It must've been a seriously bad split lip to warrant A&E treatment, no wonder hospitals are over stretched. 

• Options

Here's the current front runners at Betfair:

/members/images/855487/Gallery/jezzerreplacement.jpg

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Tiff should be top of that list. At least he isa great driver.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Quite disappointed not to see Julian clary in that list
  • Options
    image I'd maybe think about carrying on watching if it was Julian Clary.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Suppose it depends if they are dropping a new presenter into the current team or having a completely new show with different presenters.   I think it'd gone a bit stale anyway but it still had a following so I don't know what they'll do.   

I can't see Jodie Kidd or Suzi Perri fitting in with the laddish humour really.   One idea might be the team that did the F1 on TV a year or two back - Eddie Jordan, Coulthard and the youngish presenter guy - they had a good chemistry - I'm not into F1 but they put on an entertaining show.

• Options

Reckon I'll jump on the Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge bandwagon.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Sky football did just fine when it moved on from Andy Gray gray and Richard keys. I'd be surprised if the bbc can't refresh top gear somehow. Let's face it it was becoming less aboutotoring and more about one mans ego / hatred of cyclists