Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Well that's another week down, one more long run to do then we are on easy street! I was absolutely dreading today's run as my legs have been really lacking in energy whilst I try to shift a couple of lbs before race day, it's never pleasant but LSRs on a restricted diet can be a real pain (I'm used to it as I dropped 3 stone 18 months ago whilst training for my 2nd marathon). Anyway, I had breakfast and got out there! Had intended to do 21 miles but left the route planning to my husband who clearly cocked it right up as it ended up being 23.5! We normally do our long runs together but I told him that we'd start together but do our own pace as I wasn't confident I'd get round, plus we had some silly pacing antics planned for later in the run so he'd out pace me there anyway. He was lucky to be so far ahead of me, and even luckier that I actually ended up having a really pleasant, really pleasing run otherwise I would've absolutely killed him for making me do that far!

Alas, I'm all in one piece and with just 1 more LSR to do I can see the end of the tunnel. Cumulative fatigue can flipping do one though, I'm shattered! And yes, you can get both mentally and physically fatigued, sometimes your brain really does just say enough is enough!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

HIAHS - congratulations on your restraint. That is some run. Is he planning next week's routeimage

I've got a, badly scheduled, half next week - so today was my last very long run and the most miles I've ever done in a week. However, to put that into perspective, Dannirr and Running Rodent have gone further in a single race image

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some great running went on today. And a few niggles too. Fingers crossed for those. Things are looking a bit better in our house. No running from Stuchbury, but managed 2 swims and definitely walking better.

I ran MK Half today as a pacer. Got in just under 2:10 and paced with a top bloke who's been pacing for runners world for years. He's pacing 4:45 in London. I completely understand why people pace. It's just so much fun.

Met with Christopher Field and had a good chat. He's one to watch people. 20 miler in 2:52 and never run a marathon. Great running mate! Looking forward to seeing you again in Paris.

Only bad thing to report is I only managed to run 2.5 miles before I started so 1.5 miles short of the 17 I planned. Never mind. Will run something long on the weekend which will tell me how I'm doing. I really have no idea. I've not done loads of long runs but have enjoyed my training (most of the time). What will be will be in Paris. Thinking it will be my last for a while though. With 2 of us training for Marsthons for nearly a year I think it's time to spend more of the weekend with the kids.
  • Options

Thames Riverside 20 today was tough. About 16 of the 20 miles must have been on very uneven trails - mud, puddles, rocks, boat slipways and cobbles. My poor blistered tootsies!!!

I was not very organised due to the very early start and never got the GPS going on my watch.  Still waiting for an official time but I think it was about 2 hours 52ish so just under 8:40 pace which wasn't too bad considering the tough nature of the course and I was battling with re-fueling due to my Diabetes and having a sketchy rushed breakfast. I really don't like running that early in the day (8am Start).

It was a very friendly well run event by Clapham Chasers and the challenging nature of the course seemed to make it seem more like 21 to 22 miles which was good training and gives me an indication of where I am currently at since the injury.

Also chatting to others when having cake and goodies in Bishops Park after the race there were a large number of runners at the event today who are going to be running Paris in 4 weeks too, just none that contribute on here I don't think.

Now hoping that these blisters I have picked up from the tricky surfaces today heal quickly and am looking forwards to the North London Half in two weeks time.

I would've posted a few pictures up but rather foolishly dropped my phone coming out of the pub post race this afternoon so am unable to.

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Is it just me that feels like death warmed up the day after a long run? I only ran 15.5 miles!
  • Options

Me too Kenno! I ran a good 19 miler yesterday, playing with pace and hitting just below MP as per my coach's instructions...but the cumulative fatigue is strong today and I'm going to have to hide under my desk I think image

• Options

I thought I was dying yesterday afternoon after my LSR, had time for a quick shower and had to sit down to a full roast lunch, which was gorgeous but I couldn't eat it all, and by the time I got into bed my body from the waist down was in agony, just couldn't wait to go to sleep! I've woken up in good form though, but not silly enough to try and go for a jog!

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Glad its not just me UrbaneFoxLondon. I don't  think I'm at the same mileage as you though and many others.  Since end of December I've done 48m, 34m, 26m, 40m, 38m, 22m, 26m, 35m, 30m, 32m, 33m.  Getting my mileage up towards 40m was just too much for my body.  Starting to have doubts if I've done enough to run as well as I did in Amsterdam, let alone get under 4 hours.  As much as I enjoy the buzz of a race, I'm struggling to see why I'm putting myself through all of this.

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Just made some graphs of my training for Amsterdam and Paris.  Actually looks like I'm doing more for Paris, maybe I've just got to suck it all up and get on with it.  The big dip on the Amsterdam mileage was where I took 4 weeks out with shin splints, but did a lot of cycling instead.  Looks like I'm doing better with the long runs as well.  Last one next week and 3 week taper?  I did 17 2 weeks before Amsterdam as a confidence builder.

• Options

You do have to just suck it up Kenno, there's nothing you can do about it now, just buckle up and enjoy the ride!

• Options

I crashed out of a big session last Thursday and shouted profanities on the track - My mind and body just said "STOP". As I trudged back home, I seriously thought to myself, why am I doing this?!?!? But, a good run the next day and a better than expected run yesterday has cheered me up. The buzz before a race is what keeps me going - standing in the calm with the other runners, nervously waiting for the gun to go...I love those moments image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Standing with other runners, the great smell of Deep Heat. Gets the adrenaline going every time image

I don't run with music but what are you currently listening to that fires you up? Do you listen to the classics or bangin' tunes? Queen/Survivor or Rudimental/Jesse Glynne?

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Theme tune to casualty might be appropriate at the momentimage
  • Options
    So reassuring that you fab runners also have moments when you get tired physically and mentally. Last long run coming up this week and I am looking forward to meeting you in the pub!

I run to music but a mix of old and new-ish! Am adding the eye of the tiger this week but also run by Riggs da author.... Teenage son thinks there is hope for me!!!!
  • Options

Hiii everyone. Sounds like a great weekend of running for lots of you this week.

I hit a mental and physical wall a few weeks ago but somehow off the back of what felt like my worst half at Wokingham something clicked and I'm firing on all cylinders again, hit every run scheduled this week including my 20 lsr, with final 6 miles Aug 10 seconds off race pace.... Which included a mile 18 and 19 at 10 seconds faster than R/P. 

I have never felt so good after a 20 mile run, finished, stretched and then cooked full roast for mum without even a twinge in the legs.... Even more surprised as dinner night before was 3 course meal with cheese board wine and port... 

Sorry to hear about the injury and niggles, most of the hard work has been done now guys just get those annoying aches and pains rested!! 

Orbutt, I did my 20 with 0 music for the first time ever this weekend and it felt great but normally they are powered by a mixture of Queen, Kings of Leon, Grime and hip hop and podcasts... Basically any thing to distract from the normal burning muscle pains. 

P. S who ever mentioned Marathon Talk podcast I'm so greatfull, I'm a podcast addict and this somehow slipped by me... It so good and informative as well as fun! 

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello - quick Monday list posting from me as I've got to dash off to catch a train in a sec... Will have to come back for a proper catch up later!

Mar 9: Book Day Challenge - Run Claire.
    Mar 13: Bath Half - Christopher Field. Larmer Tree Marathon - Nodster. Liverpool Half – Orbutt. Silverstone Half – Andy-W, Your pace or mine. Gloucester 20 - Tired Legs. Surrey Half - Sunnysider Phil.
    Mar 17-20: Quad @ Enigma Week – Thisisnatty.
    Mar 20 Brentwood Half - Last out of the Water. Stafford Half - Christopher Field. North London Half – Smudgerncfc, Your pace or mine. Fleet Half - iantcox.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Mar 26: Two Oceans - Danni.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday. PARIS MARATHON 2016.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday. Manchester Marathon - Agent Penguin, Your pace or mine.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 16-17: Star Wars Darkside Challenge - Danni.
    Apr 17: Brighton Marathon – Meadower, Thisisnatty. Brighton Marathon 10k - Your pace or mine. Birmingham Zebra 10k - Christopher Field.
    Apr 18: Boston – Sunnysider Phil.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday. London Marathon - Jimbob, Stuchbury, Heroine in a half-shell, Pistol101, Your pace or mine, Thebigone, Magna Carter.
    Apr 30: Nashville Rock & Roll Marathon - Nodster.
    May 1: Birmingham 10k - Christopher Field, AspirantRunner. Brecon to Cardiff Ultra - Running Rodent.
    May 8: Leeds Half - Andy W. Run Hackney - Tired Old Legs, KeyserSuze, Nells, Your pace or mine, UrbaneFoxLondon. Bromsgrove 10k - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Arun River Marathon - Nodster.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday. Chester Half - Christopher Field.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: The Dark and Light Ox - KeyserSuze.
    May 21: Half Ox: KeyserSuze. Ironman Lanzarote - Magna Carter.
    May 22: Richmond Park Marathon - Nodster. Worcester Half Marathon - Christopher Field. Great Manchester Run - UrbaneFoxLondon. Copenhagen Marathon - Eggyh73. Ox Ultra - Heroine in a half-shell.
    May 28: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster. Liverpool Rock & Roll 5k - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Comrades Marathon - Danni. Liverpool Rock 'n’ Roll Marathon – Andy-W, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock 'n’ Roll Half Marathon – Christopher Field. Mont St Michel Marathon - Miss Laure. Edinburgh Marathon - Mistletoe Mike.
    May 30: Bupa London 10k - Nodster, Nells, LloydR.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 4: Harvel H5 - baldstan.
    Jun 5: Stour Valley Marathon - Lloyd R.
    Jun 11: Worcester Go Dad 10k - Christopher Field.
    Jun 12: Two Castles 10k - Christopher Field.
    Jun 18: Tromso Midnight Sun Marathon - Heather S, Nodster, Meadower, Running Rodent, Eggyh73, Heroine in a half-shell.
    Jun 23 : Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday. Giant's Head Marathon - Heroine in a half-shell.
    Jun 26: Olympic tri - Tallington - Magna Carter.
    Jul 2: Black Country Half Marathon - Christopher Field.
    Jul 3: Bewl 15 - baldstan.
    Jul 10: Leeds 10k - Andy W. Coventry Northbrook 10k - Christopher Field. Sprint tri Spalding - Magna Carter.
    Jul 16: Race to the Stones: Heroine in a Half-Shell, Running Rodent.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 23: Iron distance tri - Outlaw Nottingham - Magna Carter.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: Phoenix Summer Marathon - Nodster.
    Aug 7: York 10k - Andy W.
    Aug 13: Roseland August Trail (Black RAT - 32 miles) - Christophe D.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 27: Enigma Marathon - Nodster.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday. Maidenhead Half - iantcox.
    Sep 10: Half Ironman - The Vitruvian - Magna Carter.
    Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, N

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, Nells, Nodster.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Sept 25: Berlin Marathon - Mister Mike. Ealing Half - iantcox. Robin Hood Marathon - Nodster. Cheltenham Half - Christopher Field.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 2: Chester Marathon - Andy W, Meadower.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 9: Yorkshire Marathon - Karen Bowman 2, iantcox. Great Eastern Run Half - Magna Carter.
    Oct 16: Amsterdam Marathon - Christopher Field. Cabbage Patch 10 - Nells.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Lots of long runs getting banked. Did my 4th 20 miler of this campaign yesterday in the Essex 20 Road Race Championship which includes an Inter County Match.

I finished a somewhat average sounding 237th place out of 393. But finished in 2:50 which is only 3 mins off my PB for the undulating course. Got my target 8:30 pace spot-on, although not perfect execution as I started out a bit quick and finished slightly slower. Good for the confidence though but wondering what will happen when I have to find another 6.2 miles image

It is a 3 lap course and I was lapped halfway round the 2nd lap by the leaders. The first two both finished within seconds of each other in a mind-boggling 1:47.

Overall winner was a local Essex man and the team win went to Essex. First lady was in the Bedfordshire team in case that makes anyone happy.

Legs are surprisingly good today although they went a bit wobbly when I saw what HIAHS had done for a training run.

• Options

a bizarre mix of Bruce Springsteen and Erasure seems to work for me at the moment...something about being "Born to Run" and giving "A Little Respect"...no shame. 

• Options

PARIS 2016 list

Preferential pen (speed of light):
    510 – The Jimbob
    522 – Steve Duffy 2
    864 - UrbaneFoxLondon

Red pen (3hr):
    3575 – Sunnysider Phil
    3628 – Christophe D
    4465 – Heroine in a Half Shell
    4513 – Mr HIAHS
    4824 – Banksy7
    4889 – Shane329
    5946 – KennyM
    6424 - Nodster

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9290 – Andy-W
    11845 - Boquito
    12471 – Your Pace or Mine

Blue Pen (3:30):
    18080 – Kenno
    18256 – LloydR
    21484 – Carl D
    24214 – Bandito27
    ??????? - Stuchbury

Purple pen (3:45):
    29410 – Orbutt
    29546 – ThisIsNatty
    29611 – E mmy
    29639 – PC
    29707 – Onetit
    30515 – Mattleydon
    30667 – Pistol101
    30776 – Whiskybob
    31769 – Gunner Runner
    31858 – KeyserSuze
    33204 – Quinn the Eskimo
    37357 – Richard Barrett
    37374 – Christopher Field
    37589 – Smudgerncfc
    43575 – NGUG

Green pen (4hr):
    44484 - AspirantRunner
    45575 – Magna Carter
    46168 - AmanJ
    46765 - Baldstan
    48297 – Reflekting
    48449 – Chris Cato
    52579 – Amalik
    53208 – Ed Ridley
    53705 – Loulou
    53706 – Karen Bowman 2

Grey pen (4:15):
    57428 – Nells
    57140 - HeatherS
    58736 – Mr KeyserSuze
    59954 – Goinglong
    60211 - Iantcox
    61327 – Last out of the water
    62326 – RobH4
    62364 – Mister Mike
    62650 – EHN
    62896 – VictorMeldrew

Pink pen (4:30+):
    65227 – Penny71
    65499 – LeggyMountbatten
    65540 – Betzza
    66763 - Alilee
    67176 – Loubella
    67210 – Ali 38
    67356 – Ness2
    67445 – ClaireH85
    68001 -  Wendy Dibble
    68656 – Julie-Marie
    69152 – Hayley Bennett2
    69321 – Littlelau1
    65211RunClaire
    65445 – Thebigone
    67360 – Radford70
    68836 - Amandalou
    71622 - Moominrun
    71870 – Tired Legs

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

My fav playlist at the moment is below.  Some unashamedly cheesy tracks in there.  Nothing like a bit of Black Lace to keep you going.

Hey Dude - Kula Shaker

Don't Be So Hard On Yourself - Jess Glynne

The Race - Yello

Cuddly Toy - Roachford

Shine - Take That

The Life Of Riley - The Lightning Seeds

Superman - Black Lace

Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor

Cuddly Toy - Roachford

Thousand Mile Stare - Chicane

Adventure of a Lifetime - Coldplay

Fireflies - Owl City

Best Song Ever - One Direction

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Uptown Funk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder

My Sharona - The Knack

Rather - Clean Bandit

Love Me Again - John Newman

Hold My Hand - Jess Glynne

• Options

Hi kenno, just wondering what software you used to generate those graphs. Would like to do same to compare mytraining last year. Could do with a mental boost right now!

• Options
    Ran the 1st Wrexham 20 miler yesterday chip time 3.24.31 which I was happy with, would like to do Paris in 4.30 but who knows what that extra 6 miles will bring!

It was good to do a proper event to practice fuel/ water/kit etc for the big day.

Hales I hope your injury is getting sorted

Thank you everyone for sharing their experience and tips especially with us marathon 1st timers. It is all very daunting ...
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Hi Shane329 - I didn't use anything fancy, just Excel.  I put my weekly miles from Strava into a spreadsheet and pulled out the long run from each of those weeks. I was convinced I'd not put the miles in that I did for Amsterdam, but how wrong was I??

When should I taper though?  Would there be any benefit to doing 15-16 2 weeks before?  I did that before Amsterdam and ran well and 13 the week before (which was a half).  Or would I have ran better if I didn't do that?

• Options

Had my worst run of all time on Saturday. Poorly tummy, had to stop twice for loo breaks and eventually stopped at mile 12 (I was scheduled 14 miles). To add insult to injury I was sick when I got home. I felt totally demoralised. 

Any way, picked myself up and went to my yoga class this morning. 90 minutes of hell-think the yoga teacher must have had a bad weekend image! Then decided to go for a run to see how I got on, straight from class. Tomorrow's 5 miles in the bag- a whole minute per mile quicker than last week!!!! Feeling happier now!

• Options

That's the million dollar question Kenno! I think recovery time will depend on how fit you are and how tired you already are. 15 miles two weeks out would not particularly be a problem, but if you're absolutely shattered from training up until that point then you're not just asking your body to recover from the 15 miles but also from all the training before that. It will also depend on the percentage of weekly miles that the 15 miles would represent, eg if you're used to running 50 mile weeks then a 15 mile run within an already reduced week is probably nowhere near as significant as a it would be if you're only averaging 30 miles in the week beforehand, and you're tapering, and you're also planning to do half of those miles as a 15 mile run then maybe it does represent a greater effort? So really only you can answer that question. Do you fancy running a 15 mile run two weeks before? If you do then go for it, only you know how your legs feel, how training has gone and how quickly you feel you recover.

• Options

thanks Kenno, Excels not my strong point but will play around with it tonight. 

As for taper, Im using the P+D plan which calls for 20, 17, and then 13 the week before race. Im gonna stick with this- no races, just long run pace.

• Options

And the 13 miles a week before is a definite no, I would not recommend it, no adaptations would be seen that quickly anyway so it's pointless, you will gain more from your body being rested than you would gain in fitness from doing the session, and you'd not lose fitness in that time either.

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Shane329 - Here is my spreadsheet.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22441586/Training.xlsx It goes from 16 weeks out (doesn't include the actual marathon week).  Just replace your data with mine and you'll get some pretty graphs.