Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Sorry for gatecrashing this thread at such a late time but having been injured on and off for 6 months leading up to December I felt a bit of a fraud on this thread!  

However, training now gone well with three consecutive Saturday 20+miles with a 21-22min parkrun at mile 14. Today's was the best with 14 miles at 8min pace, parkrun in 21:00 and miles 18-21 in 7:47 7:19 7:18 7:27. Never thought I would be in shape to copy the 3:15 from Manchester last year but these long runs are far better than last years 10@ 8.40 10@ 8.00. Have been finishing feeling strong, tired but far from exhausted. Feeling confident for London.

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Quick Q - how do I know what start I'm at in London, couldn't see any details in the recent instructions received?

• Options
    Badbark wrote (see)

I’d recommend you aim for around 6:45 pace in your MP training runs and the race. This pace will allow you to slow down a little bit after 20 miles and still nail a nice sub 3. Easy peasy!image

I ran 2:51 in the London and Dublin marathons last year and when fit the low 18’s in a 5k. 

Tomorrow is a 16 w/12 @ MP run and I was thinking 6:40 - 6:50. Will see how it goes.

Nice times, would love to be capable of a similar marathon one over the next couple of years.

• Options
    Welcome to Outro. Sounds like you're in good shape.

Welcome also to ssc - in the magazine it shows which numbers go from each start so if you know your number you should be able to work it out.

Hopefully see you at the start OO - it'll be the last time I see you before you disappear into the distance and we meet again at Chandos.

Great to see you back and running Badbark.

Ditto for you MsE - glad you've worked out what the cause was. We'll have to get together for another training run some time soon.

Ashton Ct parkrun for me yesterday. Negative split of 11:30/9:10 ish to demonstrate the uphill/downhill nature of the course. Happy with that given my legs could still feel the effects of the long run the day before. 3rd place for younger Lorenzito some 2 mins ahead of me.

Now down in Dartmoor so we went out together for a 5 mile easy run this morning, getting caught in a hailstorm just after we turned for home. Brrrrr!
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Welcome new posters. ssc to find the start, you need to match your number with the start info in the magazine. Don't be awed by people gloating about "posh" toilets. image A portaloo is a portaloo.

Lots of nice training going on. I was hoping to make Manchester a handy VLR in a campaign starved of LRs, but it's looking decidedly dodgy due to a work crisis.

51m this week so far on the treadie, so so boring and not at all like real running. Thinking of which: BI that is a monster gradient session - 8% is very tough, in fact the whole thing sounds much tougher than doing Comrades for real. You are on course for a really good race.

Today's #gymfail: spotted a fella having a very slow desultory jog on the treadie. Saw him later at the breakfast buffet sneaking off with no fewer than 4 big Danish pastries. He thought he could escape the scrutiny of the gymfail police...

• Options

Loads of great training from everyone this week.  Injuries and tendons sound to be playing ball at last (Freemers and others). 

Fab news Badbark for you and family and amazing running return already

BikeIt amazing how you increase mileage with lots of commute running ontop of everything else.  When on TM should we call you BrickIt

Birch, I dare you to do another LM.  26 sounds a round number to someone who has managed only 2 to date?

Jools I admire how you put in 6m before a race.  I would find it hard to be so controlled and not succumb to desire to race it on totally fresh legs

GerardM hope your sons footie/rugby is a great success

I recall that a full kit Batman did brill at Edinburgh last year, I think sub 2.30 and top10??  It was very windy so his cape did a proper job of flying upright in his wake.

I have had a slightly gappy week but managed 40 miles so far with this mornings 18m still to do incl 14 at MP fingers crossed.  In among slower runs, also managed the club handicap race on Thursday 6.3 hilly miles at 6m27s pm within 10m total.  Plus a hilly Skipton Parkrun yesterday in the middle of 10m total.  I ran my quickest here nearly 2 years ago and struggled to get close since but totally unintended managed 18.03 yesterday which I was pleased with.  Didn't really notice the time until the last charge.

I am really getting so excited for my first LM now.  I am on the red FGFA start but maybe will glimpse some athletic superstars plus Chris Evans.  I have a plan of HM at 6.50, then to 20m at 6.45 and if I can try for the last 10k at 6.40pm??? 

Good running everyone.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Welcome back to former posters and some speedy Newbies it must be mara season again image

13.5 for me this morn my longest run by far of the year and 49m for the week image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good to see you back running Badbark, I'm sure the pounds will fall off.

Welcome scc, gatecrashers welcome.

I put in a tasty 36:43 at the North Tyneside 10k today. The wind was blustery but generally favourable. Junior got a stitch half way round and fell back 1 minute, but still got on the podium as 2nd lady. £50 prize is a lot to a student.

Hope to recover lost miles with at least 15 tomorrow.

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Lorenzo wrote (see)

Welcome also to ssc - in the magazine it shows which numbers go from each start so if you know your number you should be able to work it out.

Thanks for this - I'm on the blue start, but it have no idea what this means or if this makes any differences to my arrival times / plans!image I do know that my only other London race saw me on the red start where I was aiming for sub 4hrs but spent most of time weaving out the way of walkers at mile 3 / groups of 5 abreast at 11 min pace and similar issues through to about mile 15. Hoping for something smoother this time!

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Welcome SSC and Outro

GM - I prefer the down run - a little bit longer but faster IMHO.  PBs stand at 8:48 on the down and 9:23 on the up.  But I've only run 3 times

I finished the install of my gate motor yesterday.  Various new skills acquired including welding and grinding.  10.5 hours and a delighted wife who was the project sponsor.  Fairly tired and good TOF, although not actually running.

44km/27 miles this morning.  A bit slower than usual due to tiredness, but good consistent pacing.   That concludes my biggest week ever.  The last big one was 79 miles in 2013 - 80.4 miles this week.  All going to plan so far.

This mornings oddity - just as I am running to cross the river on my way home, I hear singing coming from behind the trees.  As I get a bit further I see a car and mini-van parked on the side of the road.  Then I see some people at the river dressed in white shrouds.  Obviously some religious celebration, just a little odd at 7:30am on the edge of town.

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Lorenzo wrote (see)

Thanks for this - I'm on the blue start, but it have no idea what this means or if this makes any differences to my arrival times / plans!image I do know that my only other London race saw me on the red start where I was aiming for sub 4hrs but spent most of time weaving out the way of walkers at mile 3 / groups of 5 abreast at 11 min pace and similar issues through to about mile 15. Hoping for something smoother this time!

• Options

OO - a sub 37 10k is great running, specially given the weather.

Leslie - great weekly total.

NM3 - great park runtime. Good luck with the sub 3 plan.

A wet and muddy cross country 11 miles for me this morning, taking me to 55 miles for the week. Lots of work next week so a forced easier 7 days. 

3 weeks from now it will all be over and the first Marathon will be in the bag. 

Have a good week everyone.

• Options

Appreciate the welcomes.

Well done on the parkrun times, Lorenzo and Neil. Never easy, for me anyway, to get the legs turning over quicker on the back of a long run or in the midst of a medium-ish one.

Nice paced 10k, OO53. I was blowing at that pace during a 5k yesterday, so can appreciate someone holding that x2. At least the wind gods where on side too.

Will be in the same training boat as you in a few weeks, Poacher. No work crisis but will be on an 11 day holiday and I never usually sleep late when I’m somewhere thats a few hours behind GMT. So the plan is to do my runs on the treadmill first thing and then make the most of the all inclusive thereafter.

Leslie - hope to stick around after spring marathon season. Good job on the long run and weekly mileage. Ditto, Bike It - that’s a light training run and weekly mileage image

Managed to sneak out this morning for a couple of hours in between the grubby weather and fit in 16 w/12 at MP. And today was one of those good days when it’s not so much of a struggle - 12 MP miles averaged out @ 6:43 into a mild headwind. Yesterday’s present form parkrun, a big blister, was a bit of an annoyance but not enough to stop me getting home for some (tons of) chocolate and putting the legs up.

• Options

Some impressive ends to the week and excellent windy 10k result for the OO family.

I managed 17m with 7 at 6.40s, 6 at 6.45s and last fast mile at 6.00s flat which I was pleased with.  No more long, fast for me until London. Maybe a bit this Wednesday?

Well done to everyone as it feels like lots of you are reaching a successful crescendo.  Especially Bikeit with big week and 27m today.

My barn is saying can we finish harvesting now, I'm tired...

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Speedy stuff from NM and JT - welcome to Outro and welcome back to ssc!

Nice extra long running BI

Windy and wet (with one brief spell of sunshine) ride today - 55miles, 5500ft including a blustery kirkstone pass and lots of tourists driving erratically. A nice solid week in the bank.
  • Options

Welcome to all the newbies to the thread, good to have some new blood!

Good to hear you had a good long run with MP Gerrard.

Good to hear yoyo have the all clear and you're back running Badbark, I'm sure your fitness will return swiftly.

A tasty 10k time there indeed 0053!

Monster weekly mileage BikeIt and a big long run there too. You're getting some good endurance in.

Did my last 20 miler last weekend but have no idea how long it took as my Garmin battery went after 4 miles. Think it was around 7.45 pace but defo steady paced. I went out on Friday and got my last long run in of 17 miles @ 7.17 pace in order to have a rest day yesterday as today was my first race of the year a local league race. Thought it was going to be 10k but turned out to be just 6 miles in the end. Quite pleased with the time of 37.38 and good to get back to racing. Just 2 weeks to go till Manchester!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - nice return to road running. Don't even want to think about cycling Kirkstone Pass.
    Birch - nice MLR too.
    Outro - welcome to the thread. It's always to good to have some fresh blood! Cracking pace for your 16 w/12 at MP.
    OO - well paced parkrun warm-up for the 10k smackdown and with a 36:43 finish, sounds like it worked! Great podium finish by jnr - shame about the stitch.
    Badbark - your joy at returning to running is obvious!
    MsE - pleased to hear your injury has been sorted and you're base-building again.
    PMJ - Nice tally of long runs there. One more to go before the taper?
    SR - well done, that's a very tough session.
    ssc - welcome back. Pleased to hear things are coming back on track.
    Lorenzo - good family outing at the parkrun.
    Poacher - hope you can still make Manchester.
    NM - that's a fast time for a hilly parkrun course. And a speedy LR too.
    Leslie - 13.5 - nice one!
    Bike It - another VLR - some solid training going on.
    JT - nice XC run. Enjoy the taper!
    KR - sounds like you're on top form - cotton wool till Manchester now!
    14 easy miles d&d this morning.

• Options

Just short of 8 in the wind and rain this morning, now it has cleared up and the family are asking what all the fuss was about.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Lots of good training going on as usual, can't believe how quick this campaign has gone.

Great news Badbark with the all clear, I've had some niggles that have stopped me running but that one trumps the lot!

My training is going well with a couple of decent long runs indicating sub 3 is on the cards, maybe a pb if the weather behaves itself. 20 with 14@mp last week which averaged about 6.40 and yesterday one of my 'favourite' runs; 2 hours 15 mins easy running (8.15mm pace) followed by 10k at mp at about 6.35mm pace.

Feeling strong considering I cycled 60m on Saturday.

Quite a big training week really, 65 miles running, 120 on the bike and a couple in the pool. This long distance triathlon training is pretty full on.

Hope to see some of you at the red start, keep up the good work folks!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just back from 10 very windy miles. was supposed to be a test on MP (7.15) but the wind in the first mile increased my effort level, so I just kept at it. Went quite well, averaged 6.57 but the wind was getting on my nerves.

Miles bagged and a quality session. Onwards!

Time to read back...

GD

• Options

First post here for me! Doing london this year, got in after getting good for age at Manchester last year(3-14:46 I'm 42). Training not gone well though! In January my foot swelled up after a14 mile run. Rested it for 4 weeks, started training again building up slowly. It was ok again for 4 weeks but then flared up again!  Had a 2 week break and have just done a 16 mile and 18 mile slr on consecutive weekends. Doing 8:50 min miles, thinking I will struggle to get near 3-15. Not been doing any midweek runs, so not got the miles in that I did last year! Should I be happy to just get round or is it realistic to think I could get 3-15 after a 3 week taper?

• Options

Thanks for the welcomes. Currently enjoying my rest day before the action starts again. 

Lots of quality running going on over the long weekend weekend, especially when you factor in the rubbish weather.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Wowzers! What a weekend of running that has been going on here. Great to see some comebacks and welcome to all the newcomers too.

MsE – Hi and glad you managed to figure out what was causing you issues. Berlin is a fast course and I bet you are looking forward to it.

Birch – One more London then and then another autumn one just to keep things even, maybe Jersey? I’ll buy you a few Ales to celebrate should you want to…..

Outro – Great MP run, especially with the wind.

OO – You always turn up to a race and deliver when it counts. That’s a seriously impressive 10k time, well done. What’s your marathon pb btw? I am thinking you are going to have a great run in London all things being equal. Well done to Junior getting 2nd place. Shame about the stitch though, that can ruin a race for sure.

Badbark – It’s great to have you back! Good luck with low key half.

ssc –Sounds like you are confident in your training. Good stuff!

Lorenzo – That is some split for a 5k. I’ve been caught in a few hailstorms this month and it’s not pleasant at all.

Poacher – That’s pretty impressive DM mileage. Great detective work on the pastrygate/treadmill imposter.

Neil – Thanks, the footy was cancelled due to the weather but the rugby was a success. That’s a cracking time there for you parkrun and I’m sure a real confidence booster.

Lelsie – Top mileage! You are doing more than me and I am running a marathon in less than two weeks!

SJ – 5,500FT!  Sounds like you are very switched on though and I bet you need to be in the conditions.

Bike it – Down sounds good to me. I reckon that pb could be under threat, here’s hoping you can keep things sweet until race day.

Jason – Well done on the xc 11 and a nice weekly total.

KR – Great running/racing. Coming together very nicely.

PMJ – I know that feeling all too well but I find it’s often the exact opposite when we runners head out early and catch that window of opportunity of weather even before most folk look out the window.

G-Dawg – Great 10 at sub 7mm pace. I loathe the wind and we do get a fair bit here being an island but I like the fact you triumphed over it. Good mental training that!

Zero running here since Friday what with childcare duties but plenty of activity with my son. Easter rugby tournament was fab. Thomas Castaignede (ex France international for those who might nit know the name) rocked up and spent a fair amount of time with the kids before the matches started. He’s a really nice bloke and very funny too. My son was happy with a 2nd place, finishing just behind Northampton who were the only team to beat them and by one point too, which was quite agonising to watch, but 8 wins and one loss is a good day in my book. Football was cancelled due to the inclement weather as the French and Guernsey teams could not sail. Didn’t stop me and the lad though as we managed to squeeze in two trips to the all weather football pitch for some drills and practice, plus some xc running for him and rock climbing when the rain stopped. Should have some more time for running this week and will see what I can come up with. Feels weird not feeling the need to taper back per se but at least I still have my sanity…….image

• Options

Welcome Paul - having already done a sub 3:15, you know what is required, so really only you know how close you are to that form, but realistically, I would have to say going from 2 18 mile training runs at 8:50 to a 26 mile race at 7:26 is quite a leap, especially if you aren't doing many other weekly runs.

G-Dawg - nice running, I have to agree with you about the wind,, I am so bored ofit now. Would be nice to go for a run without getting blown from all angles constantly!!

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Trouble with new posters is that they make some of us feel very slow image

Novel #gymfail this morning: fella on adjacent treadie with a hard core intervals app on his phone, but no earpiece. So I had to listen to a very aggressive voice shouting in Chinese for 45min.  Not much fun. But fair play to the lad, he cranked it up to 13kph at 5% which is good for a hot sweaty environment. Although not in Bike It's league.

GM Guernsey sounds like a fab place to enjoy the outdoors.

Moof - big numbers, respect, can't imagine where you find the time.

SJ perhaps you could run the Windermere mara, cycle Kirkstone, then run up Hardknott backwards as a duathlon-style training day. Easy peasy.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - yes, it was a bit wet and windy here yesterday too! Much nicer this morning.
    moof - good to hear the training is going well.
    GD - cracking effort!
    Paul Bird - welcome to the thread. Sub 3:15 off limited training will be tough.
    GM - sounds like a great experience for your son.
    Poacher - nice #gymfail.
    Decided to do my long run this morning as I was awake in time. So 21 miles d&d. First 7 @ 8:43, middle 7 @ 8:23 and final 7 @ 7:46. Now it's time for breakfast!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO what did time did Junior run?  Very impressive from you both.  I particularly like the photo of your body trying to keep up with your legs! image

I'm about to enter the Morpeth to Newcastle bike ride.  Desperate times... image 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

very quick checkin, as providing support to my mother (who is in her 80's), as she moves to a new property . . . .

SJ - good blustery ride 

kr - always nice to get the last long one bagged  . . . 

Gerard - sounds like a fantastic time with your boy -  

Gul - 14 + 21 2 day double is top work - well done ! I trust you breakfasted accordingly  . . . .

started the week yesterday with 11 mile steady mixed terrain jaunt with couple of chums. hope to get out later when move completed . . . .

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hold on a minute!! 21 miler and back to post before 7:16..... I struggled to get up by 8 today due to the clocks change.

Nice run last night checking out the running club's new 8 mile race route - fell, trail and road mix and a lovely sunset. Even put a few 6mm bursts in to remind the legs what they used to be capable of
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni I have entered the Morpeth to Newc mara - can I run alongside you while you feed me doughnuts and Scotch eggs from your panniers?