Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Hi Guys, been completely blasted the last few weeks. Was off last week in London & Brighton and a combination of late days at work and busy doing freelance stuff at home at night has meant I've not been able to keep up on here - sorry.

Taper madness is nearly at an end thank god. Legs have felt like lead this week and a struggle to run and my right hip feels stiff? Been stuffing my face with carbs yesterday & today. Had to bring 2 lunchboxes into work today!

Weight - before Xmas I was around 60/61kg but recently I am averaging around 57.2 and my lowest was 56.7 (just after a 22 miler!).

Feeling excited, nervous, fired up about Sunday and hoping the weather is kind.

Hi GM, good luck for Sunday I'll post my number up later. What will you be wearing on the day so i can look out for you?

Excellent mile reps there G-Dawg you are in good shape.

If anyone is doing Brighton I saw that Preston Park train station is not open on marathon day!

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Sounds like serious carb loading KR. Good luck at Manchester.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck, KR - post your number  . . . .    

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    KR/GM - I'm no 7588 for Manc, the tall thin baldy fella in the yellow Stockport vest. Just going to jog round to get some miles in so you will probably be on your 2nd post race cuppa by the time I lumber home. Best of luck, and DBS...

Minni - M2N organisers are no doubt well intentioned, but this is another own goal after originally scheduling the event a week away from the the Coastal. The extra justification for the change is that some people didn't want to run n the heat of

July? Err, if you don't want to run a mara in July, don't enter a mara in July.

Bizarre really, and a great shame as re-starting this legendary event was something so many wanted to see.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Have a good run at Manchester Poacher. You should get lots of support with a Stockport vest...

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Love all of the talk about Manchester last year was brilliant! Fave memories from the race:

A sign saying: So far you are the slowest runner in the race!

Another sign simply saying "Motivational sign"

Someone at mile 20ish with their hand out next to a sign saying "touch here for extra power"

A singing group of 5-6 yr olds called Little Belters singing "I predict a riot" 

Beer at the finish area - it might have been non alcoholic but it tasted fantastic!! The sight of marathon runners walking around with pints in their hand was very surreal!

Happy running hope you all have a good one and go home was similar memories of such a good event

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Well said ssc!

Have a great time (and get a great time) all of you (includes lumbering Poacher!)
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Moof, my new deep rim wheels have arrived, have been installed and I had a spin out last night. Tasty! Weird being on the tri bike again after such a long time away from it.

Swim (usual super tough Thursday morning session) and fast bike yesterday, today's efforts were back to back 1 hr steady run with 1.5miles at 6mm to spice it up followed by 60min swim set. Done
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Arrived safely and went into town for a wander and had a nice Italian. I'm staying in a Holiday inn about 2 miles from town. Thanks everyone for the good luck and DBS wishes.

KR/Poacher- hopefully see you at the start. I'll be wearing a bright yellow vest, red cap and red shorts. My number is red and I presume that has some bearing on whereabouts I'll start. Will take a look at the finish area tomorrow to get some bearings.

Poacher - I'll keep an eye out for your vest.

KR you sound in good shape. What will you be wearing?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good heavens that provoked a range of answers. I was thinking how light everyone was, so thanks Paul Bird for making me feel better. Clearly weight is an important factor for many and goes hand in hand with good form.

6:40 moof!That's quick, you must be feeling confident.

Lorenzo I also had a sweaty night and woke up with a headache and sore throat. I still ran but feeling awful now. The only plus point, it may force me to taper and should be clear come race day. It was all going too well...
  • Options

Hopefully bump into you poacher and GM. Seems like a bright yellow is what to wear. Good luck to you both. My number is 2192 and white start I think. Will be wearing my black Leicester Runner's t shirt (local Facebook group) and bright orange adidas trainers image

Agree the support is great SSC, especially around Altrincham. In fact most of the way.

Managed to empty both my lunch boxes today and feel stuffed.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Morpeth to Newcastle was a classic race Minni which I ran many times getting 3 silver medals, including in 2001 when the original format on New Years Day was run for the last time. The current organisers do look a bit clueless. I heard they started taking entries before they got any approval for the route. The entries were high cost and the routes and timing (e.g. for the half mara which didn't go to Newcastle) made little sense. I think they were just too ambitious. I decided to hold back this year and consider for the future- 1st year races and ones not organized by running clubs often turn our to be a shambles in their first year. Sadly that proved to be a good call. Me and junior are doing the Coastal this year by the way.

I've been quite ill this week but still managed a few plods to keep my legs moving. I'll have to take it easy at parkrun today and I expect LSR tomorrow will have to be shortened. It's a shame but I can't complain as the rest of the campaign has been trouble free this year.  

Good luck to this weekends racers...

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

LB70 - hope it's just a niggle and will clear up with a couple of days' rest.
    KR - relieved to hear from you and know that all is well. All the best for tomorrow. You've been in some cracking form so should be a good result.
    Poacher - all the best. Don't save your legs for White Peakimage (Or London).
    ssc - don't you love Mancunians.
    SJ - top training.
    GM - all the best to you too - have a blast!
    OO - I'm sure you'll be fully recovered and raring to go on the 24th.
    Was planning to do parkrun today for the first time in a long while, but my left leg was not in good shape this morning and found myself hobbling down the stairs with a pain in the hip area, so going to take a couple of days rest. Nothing to do with the deluge outside, honest.

• Options

I believe you Gul!! Hope that your leg gets better soon.

All the very best to the Manc runners tomorrow - weather forecast looks almost ideal for both running and spectating so I'm sure that the supporters will be out in their droves.

OO - hope you've stuck to the plan and taking it easy at parkrun today. Big picture and all that stuff.

Whilst still not feeling 100%, I'm getting there so after another day's rest yesterday I headed out into the rain and mud today for a 15 mile undulating trail run. The mud certainly lived up to expectations image, and at an average pace of about 8 mins / mile it was a positive run.

With two weeks to go, I feel that I may start on the performance enhancing beetroot juice later today.image

Who's got the latest list of runners and riders for all the Spring marathons?

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

15 miles at 7.40 pace today. Set the watches and just chatted all the way, Didn't check the pace at all until the end. Pushed the last couple as we felt strong but otherwise a nice run to prove that I'm in OK shape at the mo.

So that's the last run of decent distance with taper week 1 complete.
    Next week will be the first week this year where I won't have run at least a 13.1 distance session this year. Will feel strange.

Good to hear you feeling better Lorenzo

Probably best to rest that leg Gul

Good luck to the Manchester boys. A wise man once said to be..."Don't be shit!"
    Go and Smash It, lads!!

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care of that hip Gul- I hope you went back to bed image 

Sounds like you are on the mend Lorenzo. I did go easy for the first mile but cranked it up over the rest of the course to finish in 18:55. I've been on the beetroot for 2 weeks by the way.

Good effort GD, my last long one tomorrow- at least 18 if the body holds up.

• Options

Been off on holiday for a while down on the South Cornish Coast at St Austell so just a quick skim over the last week's postings. Gul, your 22 looks impressive: when you break it into 3 parts at 3 paces, is that an average or is there a step change in pace at each point? I know sometimes when I look at my runs I get a decent speed up over the second half but it generally means the first part is coloured by a few miles very easy to warm up and then a push at the end to get the average pace to a round number, so not so much two sections at different paces but more a slow start, solid middle and fast (but relatively short) finish.

Did Lanhydrock parkrun last Saturday with daughter #1 and her boyfriend in a shade over 30 minutes. I think it was the first time my warm up and cool down have been faster than the parkrun itself. Then three days on the South west Coastal path so sections from St Austell to Par, from Par to Fowey and from St Austell to Pentewan. These were all very hard sections: one averaged 10:36 per mile with one mile at 12:03! I then gave up with the ups and downs and did a few runs on a cycle trail that followed an old railway line along a valley.

parkrun today in 19:57 and the fist sub-20 at my local for quite some some time so maybe the taper is starting to come good.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

10th April - MANCHESTER - Gerard - No fixed time goal as yet, the training in the next few months will determine that.
    10th April - MANCHESTER - Poacher - tba
    10th April - MANCHESTER - knight rider - sub 3
    18th April - BOSTON - VTrunner - sub3:15 hopefully (but training conditions may dictate); have fun above all else though.
    24th April - VMLM16 - Joolska - 2.44 - 2.48
    24th April - VMLM16 - PhilipMJones - sub-3 if possible, if not enjoy it.
    24th April - VMLM16 - G-Dawg - Just enjoy my first GFA. Probably be too warm for sub-3.13 (PB)
    24th April - VMLM16 - Lorenzo - aiming for sub-3 at the moment but will take stock closer to the time
    24th April - VMLM16 - Freemers - undecided on time goal but will enjoy the champ start I hope and not disgrace myself
    24th April - VLM16 - Poacher - tba
    24th April - VLM16 - Rodeoflip - Sub-3:15
    2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - I just want to finish since it will be only 5 weeks after a 6 week lay off.  
    21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - target is to not end up with yet another disastrous positive split! Oh, and to finish with knees in one pieceimage
    21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.
    29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Feel free to update, beware the format police; on many keyboards shift+enter gives single spacing for new lines.

OO - +1 for your points about M2N. 

Gul - Manc and VLM will be the first 2 LRs of the year so I will be peaking like a Kenyan on acid when White Peak comes around. Possibly.

VT - do you have a long range weather forecast for Boston? Not long to go.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Very nice day here in Mancland. Took a stroll down to the OT cricket ground where the finish is and picked up my safety pins and did a recon for tomorrow. Been chilling out in the hotel doing nothing all day and I must say it's been nice. The forecast is looking good for the race. Fingers crossed that will be the case. Met some really funny charming locals today whilst out and about. Most people seem totally oblivious to the fact that there is a foot race here tomorrow. I've heard the support is very good on the course, that will help a bit along the way. Looking forward to a jaunt around here tomorrow. ????
  • Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

After imploding at last Sundays Wymondham 20m, I looked back at my training log to see what clues were there in case in wasn't just the warmer weather / lack of water.

Last years training averaged approx. 30 miles a week due to middle section being lost to injury

this years - saw Feb and March all above 40M - 46, 46, 54, 48, 45, 52, 56, 49,

the last 6 weekends all had a long run of 20-22m, I think my legs are telling me it is time to taper.  changed the planned run to 15M with 5@8.30, 5@8 and 5 @ MP, legs ok.

Now need to relax and get the spring in my legs back!

good luck everyone tomorrow!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck to the Manc crew! Looking forward to

reading the race reports.
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow! DBS!!

Gul, hope this is just a minor niggle. I've been watching your enormous weeks pile up and have been crossing extra digits for you that all holds up for next month. Channel the wolverine!

Poacher, the forecast now is for low 44 and high 64 on the day (and upper50s high day before and day after). Still a bit far to know. But I did my final subLT yesterday in a snowstorm. There really has been no opportunity to heat acclimate so I'm hoping things change to a cooler forecast.

My legs (and me) have been pretty tired this week. After looking back I've been on w/out cutback for 4 weeks now (but the past 2 have been lower mileage due to taper but intensity still there). So am taking today off and maybe tomorrow. Then 13 monday as it's 1 week out from the race the following Monday. On my docket will be sleep, sleep, and more sleep. My barn is stuffed and hopefully I didn't push too hard the past 2 weeks. 

• Options

Another good luck to all the marathoners tomorrow. Enjoy image

Gul - take it easy with the niggle. Hopefully the rest does it some good.

SSC - Looks like a lot of long runs back-to-back. Dropping down the mileage the odd weekend will probably do the legs a world of good. I think the plan I'm doing only ever has two 20+ milers back-to-back.

First ever 10K for me today and a trail one to break me in gently to this torture. Managed to get caught at one of the road crossing's and be the only one in the group to grind to a halt. Nevertheless, I was happy with 38:27 (going by my watch). 22 miles in the morning.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to the Manchester marathoners. Have a good one.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Best wishes for great running in Manchester. Weather looks perfect.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Kr- watch you don't blow away in the wind - 56kg !image

Gul- take it easy hope its nothing 

0053- nice easy parkrun image

PMJ-nice sub 20 

SSC- this years training looks much better.. trust the training !

VTR-rest up for the final push 

Outro-speedy 10k.

quad improved a lot so easy 5 last night,all the best the racers !image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Just a quick stop by to say I'll catch y'all later. Beautiful sunny morning here! ????
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to the Manchester runners - looking forward to reading the reports later

Gul - hope the leg's better

I don't trust my formatting skills, so would appreciate it if someone would add me to the list - VMLM with a 3:0x target

My back's feeling a lot better this morning, so I'm just watching my daughter swim and will then head off for an 18 miler (@ MP + 20-30 secs, which sounds a bit tough for two weeks out but I'll see how it goes!). After asking a women to move her bag off a seat so I could sit down to watch my daughter, I then realised she had a cold and was constantly sniffing and breathing heavily! I tried to leave it a decent amount of time before making my retreat, but have now escaped - hope I did so in time!!!
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all those running Manchester today, weather looks ok from were I'm sitting down south.

Competed in my first duathlon yesterday which was brutal.

5k run, 25k bike, 5k run, both runs were off road on a lumpy muddy course and the bike route seemed to have more ups than downs.

I got off to a good start on the run and finished it in 18.28 for 5th position. Rode the bike as hard as I could which isn't easy after the run but knew I'd have a job on my hands keeping some of the proper cyclist from catching me.

Sure enough I was caught by a couple at about half way, I upped my game and the three of us battled it out for some time.

I was overtaken by three in the end but managed to keep them in sight...just. Bike leg 44.32.

On to the 2nd run with my legs feeling as heavy as lead I still managed to pull off a decent run and gradually picked off the three cyclists. The last one proving a tough nut to crack with only about 800 to go I passed him and made a real surge to make sure it stayed that way.

Finished the 2nd run in 19.26 which gave me 5th overall and 2nd vet, but 1st vet won so now I'm 1st vet by default. Yay!!!

This is a tough, tough sport but very enjoyable and makes a triathlon feel almost leisurely.

A very gentle 15 miles for me this afternoon when my legs agree.

Good luck to anyone else racing today.