Options

VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Options
    @kierang - I've been there on the waking up with knee pain, very glad to hear it's moving in the right direction. If you keep listening to your body then you should build up quickly. Just don't try pushing through pain too much!
  • Options
    Harmander, brilliant! I guessed you must be a pacer but I had planned to stalk the 5 hour pacer anyway so excellent stuff that it is indeed you! I'll see you at the blue start good sir!
  • Options
    Midlands Lass, sorry to hear about the knee hope it eases ready for London.

Blithe, my pacing has been getting a little quicker too don't worry about it.

14 miles tomorrow, should have been today but I'm a day out with my training this week for no particular reason other than I overslept on Thursday so did my run yesterday instead.
  • Options

Hey (anxious wave), have stalked for a while, and now need to get more involved!! This will be my first (and only marathon!!) I'm not really a natural runner, but I entered the ballot first time and was lucky enough to get a place and thought, what the hell, I need to go for this, however 2 weeks out and I'm not sure I can really do this- is anyone else suffering this fear?. I've followed a fairly long plan, since I got my place, and I did my 20 mile run around 5 weeks ago, it was hard but I managed it ok, and felt confident, since then I've had several pretty disastrous attempts at the same distance- one where I virtually just gave up after 14miles, not because my body wasn't in it, but my mind really. A race half last week, which was much harder than I expected, some due to unexpected hills and sunny weather, and then today I barely managed 5 miles, before feeling tired and worn down by the whole experience really. Again, legs could have probably carried on, but mind just shut down, and I limped round another 3 something miles. In contrast I did 4 miles in the week, and enjoyed every minute in the pouring rain!!

I'm not totally bothered by time, although I feel that I should be able to get in by 5.5hrs, but I'm concerned that mentally I'm not quite tough enough! Is anyone else feeling like this, or any seasoned peeps out there that can out my mind at rest, that I will make it! I've raised a bit of money for charity and I don't want to let people down!

• Options
    Hi W.A.I.D. I think it sounds like you need to taper and rest to renew body and mind. If you've done 20 miles, you'll be fine. Training is tiring and the distance daunting but everyone I know who has done it says the atmosphere is electric and that carries you round. I have the opposite problem. The mind is willing but the body not so.
  • Options

Welcome WAID, don't worry we're all carrying the same fears about being good enough, can we do it etc etc. You've done the training now is the time for rest so you can tackle the 24th with fresh legs. As Midlands Lass says, training is supposed to be hard so please don't worry.

Welcome to the taper madhouse!!!image

• Options
    WAID - I'm exactly the same! Absolutely terrified that I can't/won't get there... But I try to calm myself down ostrich style -I'll get to the start and then everything will take care of itself... Stop thinking about times; take the pressure off completely... We'll walk it if we have to! It's still a marathon...
  • Options
    KieranG wrote (see)

.....and Blithe - "12 miles, but I pushed it to a half" - I bet that's a sentence you wouldn't have thought you'd be writing 6 months ago - next thing you'll be saying that a 10k event is easy because "it's only 10k" !!

Spot on Kieran! My family were laughing at me when I said that it took me 3 miles to get warmed up so a 5 k race wasn't worth it.  This from the woman who, as my brother says, was breathless just walking to the fridge! image

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Just read help taper madness, watch this. Even sped up, it's such a long way ????

http://youtu.be/WmabgZ_0SbU
  • Options

Done it, yes  am mad - 584 miles this year with a target of 600 originally.- might push it to 630 to make the equivalent of 24 marathons. Also it will be over a million metres.

10 miles in 96 minutes in the morning and just over 20 in the afternoon in 4:46 but I was helping a first timer with that ITB thingy - never heard of it before I joined this thread - honest.

The Big Mac meal was sooo tasty.

Welcome WAID, hi Jackygirl

The pacers are expected to do the same pace per mile throughout - me, I am asked to do 11 minutes and 27 seconds a mile from the start - I suspect that the first mile may be a bit congested and the Green lot join just before the 1 mile marker from the left - I shall therefore stay to the right hand side of the road until just before the left hand bend as we turn towards the Woolwich Barracks. 

During my run today from just before Cutty Sark I noticed there were quite a few bits of construcion going on until just after the 9 mile marker. This means that the roads may well be narrower at certain points or have restricted crowds. Just thought I should flag this up. Am sure the roadworks would have been cleared up in the next 300 hours though.

If you note the time of this posting I clearly need to go to sleep now.

Have a good run on Sunday.

• Options

It's really funny to see all of us trying to reassure others, when we are probably struggling to reassure ourselves! Yes we can!

Kieran, loved the timelapse. Terrified by it too, of course.

WAID, fantastic username! The mental battle can be the toughest part of training, especially when you're out pounding the pavements on your own. Some mental techniques can help (I like positive self-talk when I'm feeling a bit worn down - just repeating 'I am a marathoner' or 'I can'). Hopefully on the day, the sense of event and the crowds will make a big difference to those kind of problems.

Harmander, mad indeed, but inspirational too image

I did a 9 mile 'long run' today. I can do that three times in a row in two weeks' time, right?

• Options

Love that video Kieran but yes - blimey its a long way.  You still up for a long walk with tea and biccies??!!

I am putting off my 'long run' today as head not in the right place at the moment.  Knee  not sore at the mo but I am worried it will be if I run and that this will worry me.  I truly do have taper madness.  I need to chill the heck out.

I can't do anything for a couple of hours as I have just eaten so instead I am going to go and make 2 chocolate cakes for a charity bake sale at work on Tuesday to raise money for my cause.  I am lucky that lots of colleagues are going to pitch in and my wonderful secretary is in charge of collecting donations in a hastily converted plastic tub.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Yes, Midlands Lass - you bring the cake, I'll bring a rucksack full of tea.

Did 10 miles today. Really easy and no issues with the knee.

Thing is, it was on a bike. Do you think they'll let me go round on a bike? image 

• Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    I'm taking a Segway Kieran!

Was feeling pretty confident having accepted my injury/lack of training issues and regularly reading this thread. However, my friend (who is fitter than me) completed his first marathon today in Manchester and hit the wall at 20. Cramps, walking etc. Ended up around 30 mins slower 2nd half. Starting to worry more now, may rethink my pacing in an ATTEMPT to avoid the dreaded wall 5/6 miles out.
  • Options
    Cakes done. 10 miles done. Usual joint gripes but the sharp knee pain that has been setting me back seems to have been solved by industrial quantities of kinesio tape.

Did your friend eat enough sugar DB7X?
  • Options
    If all else fails, come join the plodders mobile tea party at the back.
  • Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    Haha, book me a place, I'll bring battenburg! Yeah, he prepped well, i think he probably just got carried away first half.
  • Options

I think getting carried away must be so common. The effect of fresh legs might make you feel amazing for the first 10 miles, but won't see you to the end. I had to really force myself not to go too fast today, since I felt able but know it's not a good idea at this stage.

I'm going to try hard not to go faster than 10 minute miles, except for the last few miles in the very slim chance that I can.

Midlands Lass - glad you got your 10 miles done and less pain, sounds like good news

• Options
    Absolutely devastated. 11 miles into my 14 mile forestry run today I had to put my leg out to stop myself falling after I tripped and seem to have tweaked something behind my thigh. Managed to complete the run very slowly and have been sat here with ice trying to ease it. Seems better but can't believe I did that and hoping it eases soon.

Might have been better off just faceplanting the gravel path at least I wouldn't have knackered my leg!!
  • Options
    Oh sorry in my self indulgence I forgot to say welcome DB7X and great news about the run Midlands Lass. Hope everyone else has enjoyed the weekend.
  • Options
    Eek, jackygirl that sounds like really bad luck. You've still got 2 weeks, hopefully just a little niggle that'll go in a few days. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Oh no Jacky - sounds like a hamstring (it's what I did playing hockey last year !). Just keep icing and stretching it - I ran a half marathon 2 weeks after tearing mine (not advisable, but I did it anyway), so I'm sure you'll be fine. 

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

From what I've read and heard, the wall is just a lack of energy for the muscles (and the brain), so yes - don't go out too fast and keep on those gels/lucozade after the first hour...

...or walking along drinking tea and eating battenburg with us at the back will probably help too.

Given that I'm not expecting to finish until well after tea time, I think Midlands Lass' cake is all that will keep me going image

• Options

Great to see moral support all round.

Only managed to make a start on the garden - no running today.

Those in Pen 9 at he Re Start are going to be the Great and the Good - because at every mile marker I am going to shout out 'Hows the pace?' and hope to hear a collective 'GREAT', then like Joey from Friends  will shout out 'How you doing?' and hope to hear 'GOOD'.

What do you think runners?

• Options
    Harmander, I think that's an excellent plan it matches well with the fact I've been shouting 'London Baby!!' for the last 5 months whenever the marathon is mentioned.
  • Options
    Oh and to be correct the response should be 'I'm good baby, how you doing?'.

Disclaimer: I may or may not have watched far too much Friends during my university days...
  • Options

If I can catch my breath lol

• Options
    Ah, typing fail! It should be 'I'm doing good baby, how you doing?'

Harmander don't worry about catching your breath, I'm fairly convinced that as the appointed forum Superman that you will finish the marathon with enough energy to spare that you will promptly jog to Edinburgh at a modest pace to rescue a cat in a tree followed by a quick Big Mac and fries.
  • Options
    LOL at Harmander with a tabby in one hand and a Big Mac in the other.

Sorry to hear about the leg Jackygirl. Ice is good. Try ibuprofen too as it will get rid of any acute inflammation. Two weeks is plenty of time. I pulled a calf muscle last year and it took about a week to heal.
  • Options

Thank you ladies.

I will do my best to see everyone through to the finish line.

Yes, you all deserve the rest periods during tapering - to heal the injuries and reward yourself too.

Please come and say hello at the RW stand 212 at the Expo, I have offered to be there on Thursday and Friday afternoons between 2:00 and 5:00 pm  but happy to wait a bit longer if you are coming after work.