Options

Comrades 2016

Comments

• Options

John1946, sorry to hear you picked up a late injury, at least it won't keep you from running Comrades and makes that sub-9 more of an achievement.  Trust you'll be back to full strength soon.

• Options

Well done everyone on Manchester and other long runs last weekend. Did a 35k very hilly last Saturday in the mountains (on roads) in Hatta on the boarder of Dubai/Oman. 9 Dubai Comrades runners. We should have done 40k but 36oC at the 35k mark and climing 1100m in total really got to me and most the other runners.. We set off at 4:30am running straight up a 6km hill very steep, but as it was dark and we were all fresh it seemed easy. Ice box at the top of the hill we dropped off earlier full of drinks came in very handy, Then it was a 7k down hill all the way to a shop for a drink 400m to below sea level. Then we did that loop twice up then down. by 30k I could feel my legs burning at the front (not from the sun) slowly trotted back to the car at 35k. Couldn't slow down on the downward bits as it was so steep. Sunday legs hurt going down the stairs took a days rest. Then yesterday 13K legs were a bit sore again only going down hill and this morning 10k. Tomorrow night is my longest run 56K starting at 6pm hoping to finish by 11:30. An undulating run on a purpose build 2 lane 120k cycle track. Hopefully (or Inshallah as we say here) that should take me to 114k in 5 days and on for a 130k week my longest for a few years. Good luck with all your long runs this weekend and stay injury free. 

• Options
    John1946John1946 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the sympathetic comments.  Now I'm wondering how hard to start training again next  week (assuming I'm out for 10 days).  Still got my 55K to do!

• Options

Look forward to seeing the photo's Fit-running Cat as long as I'm smiling!

Getting ready this week to run Boston Followed by London,  if my legs hold out. Feeling excited.

John a damaged Disc sounds serious  - Have you had an xray to prove that? Is it a slipped disc ( You wouldn't be able to walk) or perhaps you could have damaged one of the back muscles/ligaments resulting in inflammation  around the sciatic nerves, which rest and mobility  exercises should help it to heal. best of luck. I would try  out running on the tread mill first next week so there is less impact on your back. Leave the 55k  for about  3 weeks so you have time to build your mileage back up.

• Options
    John1946John1946 ✭✭✭

Patricia - thanks for the advice re starting running again.  My physio thinks it's an inflamed disc rather than a slipped one (I can walk!).  Today it's better than yesterday, which was better than the day before.  So I remain optimistic. 

Good luck in Boston - I'm thinking of running it again next year (I previously did it in 2010, catching the last flight out of Heathrow before the Icelandic volcano put paid to most UK runners' plans for that year).  A fabulous race!

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭

John, That's sounding like better news for you.  Given time and backing off training for a bit, you have good reason to be optimistic. Take care.

I was another Manchester runner who experienced both the traffic chaos and baggage fiasco.  Took one look at the baggage drop and fortunately opted for walking back to my car and locking my kit in the boot - saved me a very long baggage wait after the race.  Despite those drawbacks the crowd support and water stations were very good - although the route is rather boring and monotonous, with too many 'switchbacks' included.  I managed 4:43, just inside my 4:45 target for the day. I've been feeling unduly stiff since then - that was a surprise as it's a very flat race, unless perhaps the lack of hills variation affected me?   So, I've just been to a sports physio for a workout and feel a lot better already. He's advised not running yet for today, so hopefully I'll reappear on Strava tomorrow!

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

John - i am only a Comrades novice but i would try and rest that as much as possible and advise caution.  I guess it depends on how much you want to get to the start line or if you want to go for a particular time.  If it's just a finish you are after than its better to rest and maybe cut back on your big run plans and still be in one piece for the start? It's always easier to give advice than take it though.

Terry - hope those legs ease up soon.

I think this has been posted on here before but someone on the Comrades UK FB group posted this link to a race report with clips.  Great for novices although I am wondering if i am the only Comrades novice on this group? http://runningdenver.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/comrades-ultimate-human-race.html

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Also can only give any direction on humidity levels for Comrades.  I have done plenty of hot races but they have been in Europe which i think is pretty dry heat.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

PG3 - it gets pretty humid at Comrades.  The start may well be 80-95% humidity, with some fog in the valley's until the sun comes up and burns that off.  Humidity will stay around 50% all day though.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

PG3 - I still count myself as a novice, I've only run up the route once, I noticed the heat, but not the humidity, keeping cool was a constant task, unlike anything I've ever run. There is a breeze out there somewhere every once in a while, if you can catch that with water sprayed on your face it is very welcome.

Had to factory re-set my Garmin last night to get it to play ball, time would have been when I'd be well miffed at losing Tuesday's 8 mile run from my records, but as I pressed the buttons last night I just thought "meh".

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, if you want to keep your log up to date you can add runs manually to Garmin and Strava.
  • Options

51K done last night aimed for 56k as per the plan but the average temp of 36oC throughout the 5hrs got to me, plus no wind at all to cool you down. 

Couple of questions raised from last night runners.

1. Do you count completing comrades as: 

A) 2 marathons completed (on your role of honour marathons completed list)

b) 1 ultramarathon completed

c) 1 ultra marathon completed but you also credit 1 marathon on your list 

Also does anyone count a training run that covers or exceeds 42.2K as a completed marathon on there list ?

interested to see the replies.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Personally I'm with option (b) SBA, but I do know that the 100 club counts all ultras as a single 'marathon' so option (c) for them.

Nice bit of training as well SBA - hopefully it will be cooler on the day, but you should be well used to any heat there is.

• Options

Great running SBA, conditions sound challenging to say the least,  

I think I'm probably an option c) mainly because I can tally up a single list of races if it ever comes up.  

Speaking of the 100 club, I don't maintain a record of my races and I'm not specifically targeting 100 marathons (I'd like to think it just happens over time) but do you need race certificates/pdf results for the races you've run or just keep a list? 

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Terry - it was the loss of the per mile data that I would have like to have kept. I did add efforts manually to Strava initially when Mr K set up our club, but on seeing the vast array of people (practically everyone) doing more miles than me despite that I eased off. I could of course have stepped through the stats on the Garmin recording them before I did the reset, but that "meh" moment hit and I moved on image.

jar - 100 Club want to see recorded results in some form as proof, certs, or your official listed placing amongst others etc.

SBA - I don't count 26 mile+ training runs as marathons completed, but if it is your own list then there is no reason why not, 100 Club wouldn't accept them though.

• Options

Thanks Lowrez,  probably worth going back at some point and save the results of those I've completed - i won't remember them all in the 20 years it will take me.  

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I count it as one ultra only.  Else I'd haven't count each marathon as a marathon, two halves, four 10k's .....     A race counts as what it is designed as.  If you enter a 50k but DNF  at 44k, you do not count it as a marathon.  

• Options
    Sky blue, the 100 marathon club has a simple rule.

Any race 26.2 miles or bigger counts as one - as long as there is a finish line and results.

So Comrades, ring of fire, Marathon de Sables all count as just one... Lots of famous multi day races only count as one.
  • Options

guys guys guys!! I need help.. I've just realized something.. 

I've entered as a South African Athlete for this years comrades but it the rules say I need to be registered with a S.A running club and have an athletics SA licence number. 

I've never been a member of a S.A run club so dont have a number.. 

I have qualified though so what should I do? 

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

zulu - no idea but I would suggest that you contact a SA running club to see if they can assist.

Last weekend I only did 3 laps at my 8 hour event, for a total of around 16 miles, and then did about 10 miles of walking around Rochester and nearby.  I had originally intended to run 40 miles but I have enough marathons and ultras under my belt this year.  It was also an off-road course and quite tricky underfoot at times, so I was wanting to avoid any faceplanting.

jar- if you go on the 100 Marathon Club site there is a spreadsheet.  I would recommend filling that in now, even if you are not going to apply for membership for a while.  I'm up to about 70 and I don't foresee getting near 100 for a couple of years but I have them on the spreadsheet now.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Forgot to say, good luck to anyone with a race this weekend.  I'm supporting at Brighton.  Anyone running this, I will be at the mile 19 Fetchpoint, so watch out for the red and yellow balloons.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    ZB - join one and get a race number! Some of them have online memberships. You would need your physical license number to pin under your race number as well as your SA club vest. My club membership is R200, then R220 for ASA and R230 for a vest. Some clubs are more expensive thought. My club only allows new members in the NY period.

Or do a number transfer from an international athlete..
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    ZB - try Team Vitality. They are linked to Discovery insurance.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to those running Boston and Brighton tomorrow.
  • Options

John, how is your back doing?

I've had two weeks of much-reduced running due to haveing to attend a conference for work last Thursday to Sunday and spending lots of time standing on our exhibition stand. That aaggravated my back problem and I had to give up part way to work on Tuesday and catch a train - horrible sciatic pain. Office chair also seems to aggravate it. Finally ran again yesterday (7 miles) and today (20 miles) for a 34-mile week. Very frustrating when I should have been doing 65-70 miles for the week.

I'm still hoping to run London next weekend but very glad I have Dymchurch done as I am now doubting I'll be sub-4 hours next week - my running pace has dropped a lot with this back problem.

Hope everyone else is doing better than I am.

Sports massage this afternoon and my next physio appointment is tomorrow (Monday).

Sorry to hear that Greater Manchester Marathon messed up the baggage AGAIN - thought they had learned their lesson after the inaugural - when the weather was foul and people were dropping with hypothermia all over the place

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I have an apology to make, i was supposed to email the bus tour organisers and try and get us on the same bus tour and i didnt and the email came yesterday confirming the buses and saying 'no changes' so SORRY image  Debra, i think i am on the same bus as you (Philippa Griffin)

I am probably one of the only ones who is glad that the race is so close now.  I am highly unpopular at home due to  too much time spent running image

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

No worries PG3 re the bus.  I hope you can manage the AWOL family time in the coming weeks, only 6 weeks to go...yikes!!  I think Lambkin (if that almost reflects your surname) we are on F5 at 9am (Mac3 = McCarthy).

How were the marathon runs at the weekend? I substituted for a friend at the Thames Towpath 10.  A nice run out in sunny conditions.  Not a distant I'm used to racing but with all the training I was able to catch a few in the closing miles.  A Fullers engraved pint glass was the reward rather than a medal and that was christened later in the day.

Sorry to hear about your back problems Debra.  You have some time to get that right with your physio and sports massage.  As you say you have your qualifier so no pressure next week at London.  

• Options

Yes I'm on the Friday 9am bus, I got the bus email too this weekend.

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I didn't do Canalathon a while back, mainly due to my laziness in not organizing a hotel in time and not having the required race kit, rather than because of any injury problem.

I do have a slight muscle tear in my leg at the moment that is worrying me slightly. It's not hugely serious but it's slow to heal. On my 20 miler training run yesterday I got a bit down as it was a little tough going and I was thinking how am I going to do 90K and at a faster pace than this too image. Still, I've got to keep upbeat. The bluebells are out, I've got the Oxon 40 in a couple of weeks and it should be stunning running around there if the weather holds up image.

• Options
    John1946John1946 ✭✭✭

Debra - Thankfully my back seems to be making reasonable progress.  My first outing after 7 days off was a gentle 5K on Saturday, followed by a day off to make sure there was no adverse reaction.  So the sum total of my training last week was 5K! 

I tried a further 6 miles this morning, followed by a visit to the physio for deep-tissue acupuncture (never much fun but it seems to work).  I now have the go-ahead to resume training in a measured way. 

I'm on the same Friday 9am bus as Mac3 and Lambkin.  One of the hosts is Slow Duck!

• Options

Hey guys, cheers for the replies earlier. I've managed to join a club back home so once my licence number is added I'll be good to go.. PHEW!!! 

Other then that. All good and I've been training and racing a bit harder and faster then last year. 

7th place at Wrexham marathon with 2:54 and 7th at the Liverpool to Manchester Ultra a few weeks back with 80km in 6:54.

I'm gonna be back in Durbs 1 week 2 days before comrades so might try and catch up with a few from here.

Thanks again for all the advice earlier..