Options

That annoying moment your chip fails in the London Marathon

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great post from Mouse and good of the charity to start looking into it.

Definitely an unpleasant situation for them. They obviously thought a celebrity runner would bring them a decent amount of good publicity.

According to the article she only raised 510 pounds. I hope this wasn't a golden bond place or the charity may well end up out of pocket.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

According to an Essex paper a couple of weeks ago:

TV star helps sister smash marathon fundraising target

A reality TV star has helped his sister raise over £2,000 for a youth charity ahead of her running the London Marathon.

Star of The Only Way is Essex, James ‘Arg’ Argent and his band performed to over 200 people at a fundraising event at Woodford Wells Tennis Club on Saturday (April 16).

The evening was organised by his sister Natasha, who is running the London Marathon this Sunday (April 24) for charity London Youth.

The 26-year-old of Woodland Way, Woodford Green said: “It was a fantastic night, everyone was up on their feet and James performed brilliantly as always.

“I’m thrilled to have got to my target, and although I’m a bit nervous, I’m just ready for Sunday now.”

Mr Argent’s performance at the tennis club in Monkhams Lane was accompanied by a talk given by London Youth representatives about how the charity helps underprivileged young people by getting them into sport.

The 26-year-old singer said: “I was really pleased with my performance, the party goers made the atmosphere electric.

“It’s great Natasha got to her target, and I wish her the best of luck for Sunday, but I hope she doesn’t beat my time!”

His sister said: “When James ran the marathon for Cancer Research he did it in six hours, so even I get five hours 55 I will be happy.”

• Options
    Surely if we culled all reality TV celebs this would act as a deterrent? And even if it didn't - it'd still be a good move?
  • Options
    Mirror now reporting it
  • Options

Seems VMLM have done soem searching themselves and found anyone with a missing time and flagged them

Best is

http://results-2016.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/2016/?content=detail&fpid=search&pid=search&idp=9999990F5ECC83000019D6F8&lang=EN_CAP&event=MAS&search%5Bstart_no%5D=7312&search%5Bsex%5D=%25&search%5Bnation%5D=%25&search_sort=name&search_event=MAS

who managed halfway to 35 k (so 21k to 35k which is 14k) in 15 minutes. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Also a note next to the official result noting it's under investigation
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Yeah PhilipM, think he was picked up earlier in the thread, but amazing what a fat bloke can do when he reaaaallllyyy tries,image
  • Options

"Over the last 7.2k, you passed 10 people and 6907 passed you."  Obviously that sprinting for 14k between halfway and 35k in 15 minutes took a bit out of him.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

It's not in the same league as the ones on this thread, but I saw some fella ducking under the tape where the green start merge with the other colour (can't rem which colour). He managed to run the inside route of a large roundabout, rather than going the long way round. Probably only saved him a minute, but cheating all the same. Really annoyed me! 

• Options
    I saw a guy do that a few years back. Bloody cheat.
  • Options

Its all lies apparently!

"A source close to Natasha said she was “upset” over the claims. They said: “She says it’s total bull. She ran the marathon completely – she didn’t cheat. She ran about five hours." - Daily Star

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I saw that too Mr I. But her charity tweeted at 1:45pm that she had just passed mile 25. So given that it took 16 mins to pass the starting mat, this would mean she took 1.5 hours to do the last mile.
  • Options

I can't believe she going to try and lie about this...how thick is she....so the chip failed...the charity lied....the finishing mat messed up...the finish line photos have all been docked. ...does she really think she can lie her way out of it

• Options

Odd, if you look below you can see she is finishing a few seconds behind 8627. His finish time on the site is 14:00:37 and hers is 14:00:40. He has a complete set of consistent splits and photos that include that blue mat on the ground round docklands, she doesn't.

http://offsiteimages-01.marathonfoto.com/MFT2016-01/02/797502/1261/0050.jpg?preset=p

• Options
    Jesus. She must be stupid.
  • Options

Doesn't it mean all the people in that photo can have the same time as she did ? 

I don't think being famous purely by being the sister of someone who is famous just for being famous is any indication of intelligence ! 

• Options
    I'm not sure this is even intelligence though. How can you lie about times on the worlds most popular marathon. Has she forgotten that they do actually time it all the way?

I'm amazed she was able to get her shoes on the right feet.
  • Options

suppose really famous TV people have "people" to help them with tricky things like shoes on the right feet ? 

• Options
    Since Sunday I could really do with some of those people.
  • Options

From the Mirror, as I thought:

"Event director Hugh Brasher told us: "We have a process in place that highlights potential cheats and her name had already been identified through this process.

"We contact all runners who are identified through this process to ask them to provide an explanation for this. If we are not satisfied with this explanation we disqualify them."

We were also told that less than 20 people are flagged as potential cheats and added: "That's why we're not announcing the millionth finisher".

• Options
    JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    Real Mr I wrote (see)

Its all lies apparently!

"A source close to Natasha said she was “upset” over the claims. They said: “She says it’s total bull. She ran the marathon completely – she didn’t cheat. She ran about five hours." - Daily Star

Which is peculiar as if you look at the photo that Philip posted and check Mr 8627 you see he finished in 3:58, so for Mrs Z list to have done 5 hours she must have wandered through some kind of Star-Trek-esque time dilation vortex cunningly placed just after tower bridge. 

• Options

I wouldn't class someone who made their luck by appearing on a crap reality show as famous.

Clearly its down to the marathon to investigate. I was informed the chips used were new ones and their systems can record all runners crossing the mats. Those chips are registered, checked at the expo. So unless they been tampered, broken, covered up, they shouldn't really fail. If you pass 5,10,15,20k without problem, then the same at 25,30,35,40k.

Interesting the person in question did pass 5,10,15,20k. So by then she passed 12.4 miles. Then no records for 25,30,35k. Then it works at 40k which is 24.8 miles.

• Options

I suspect that she'll find that "don't you know who I am?" doesn't meet Hugh's definition of a satisfactory explanation.

Mind you, if they went back and retrospectively DQ'd all the suspect times from previous years that have been left in the results, they wouldn't have their millionth finisher until next year.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I see she's made her Twatter account private and left her sleb brother to take the crap.

• Options

"Event director Hugh Brasher told us: "We have a process in place that highlights potential cheats and her name had already been identified through this process."

Is it too much to hope that one of the processes in place to id cheats is looking at the runners world forum?

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Real Mr I wrote (see)

Is it too much to hope that one of the processes in place to id cheats is looking at the runners world forum?

I think it is certainly the first step in the process. image

I hate the Daily Mail but their coverage of it is good even providing a helpful map showing the part of the course she skipped.

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭

The funny thing when looking at the potential cheats is the fact they can also be identified on marathon photos. If you are going to cheat do not cheat in the London Marathon as runners world resembles crime watch on their forums the next week. A few people will be hanging their heads in shame now.

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I doubt if any of the cheaters found have ever looked at a RW forum, or even know that a magazine called RW exists, so naming and shaming is just our fun.

And the Zlist celeb, all we're doing is filling her pockets, all they want is to be in the papers, on telly, and we've propelled her straight where she wants to be.

Fame is fame, I doubt if she could understand the concept of notoriety, let alone spell it, so the last laugh will be hers. image
  • Options
    Real Mr I wrote (see)

To be honest, I would have thought LM would know which runners who cross certain posts, then go missing. If they have a system which copes with 39,000 through nine points of the course, it shouldn't be hard to find out anyone who tried to cheat. Maybe their policy is not to name and shame on social media until proven guilty.