Options

Comrades 2016

Comments

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks PG3 image - so I have you and Debra down for the wrong tour day on the list? What time are you kicking off?

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

SD - early morning disorientation! Wall on the left, A to the left end, PP to the right end - I should run to the far end of the wall to look myself up!

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

While you are there look for mine, I can never find it. 

• Options

No, I'm the Friday bus tour - I'm not arriving in Durban until Thursday late afternoon. Nnow I'd better check they have me down correctly - can somebody please remind me where I do that? Was it an email?

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Peter - If I make the tour I will look for yours - do you have any approximate co-ordinates (you sank my battleship! image)

• Options

Changed my avatar (thanks Comrades) ....how are the excitement levels

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

Debra - original email about bus tour was sent to me on 17 April with bus number / time etc.  They are only on Friday/Saturday, I think PG3 has put Thursday by mistake.  From memory you and PG3 are on the Friday 9am tour.  Me and a few others are on another bus leaving at the same time.

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Yep correct Mac3, i got it wrong.  Debra i have the email and we both on the Friday  9am bus tour .

We should all have been on the same bus but i failed to email them to get us on the same bus and then it was too late image

• Options

OK, Mac3 I'll look out for you.  If the weather is as bad as it it is forecast I'll be in a Red/ blue Berghaus jacket

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

No worries PG3, I'll see you at Spiga anyway on the Friday evening.  We might need some name badges with so many of us there!

Old Shadowfax - noting the forecast too I'll probably be in my black OMM jacket.

• Options

That might be another possibility for me too depending on the temperature

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

JAR - listening to the last Coach Parry talk.  Very excited image

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Mac/OS (ha ha Apples!) - What's with the weather banter? More details please - I can't see 'owt wrong wiv it? How reliable are the forecasts this far out anyway??

jar - Here we go! Bring it on!

• Options
    caashfordcaashford ✭✭✭

Hi all, it’s been a while since I last posted on the site so just thought I would provide a quick update (and random thoughts).

Injuries and Illnesses - I had a nightmare build up from Feb - March with my "A race" being VLM. I managed to: 1) fall off my bike fracturing my wrist at the start of Feb 2) pull my hamstring at Coventry Half Marathon - to the point where I couldn't actually walk up / downstairs without my leg nearly giving way. So after throwing my toys out of the pram / having a bit of a cry / eating my own body-weight in cake I managed to get back up and training again at the end of March / April. With a view that there wasn't any point in trying to do a catch-up approach to training, I just started doing loads of stretching / core / stability work to try and get myself strong for VLM and then ready for Comrades.

VLM – basically I smashed it (and smashed myself). 2:32:15 – PB by 8 minutes and top 100 (99th place, but lets be honest “top 100” sounds more impressive)image Really pleased with this, as it was always my A race.

Recovery and Comrades Prep – Recovery has gone pretty well, I took it easy for a week, then started to build the volume back up. Biggest session so far has been 2x2hrs on a Friday, so still haven’t actually run further than a marathon, but I have been consistent over the past month than that has been the biggest success! Now I’m feeling pretty good for the race. I’m looking forward to the experience (and putting no expectations on myself for target times).

Travel + Logistics – Details below.

Departing Wed 25th May
    Emirates BHX 21:20 arr DXB 07:15 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: caashford

Hotels
    Hilton: caashford

Fri Night Spiga Dinner
    caashford (+1 potentially)

Bus Tour
    Fri 9am – caashford (bus number 6)

Saturday Parkrun 8am

North Beachcaashford

I will be trying to get to the International Meet on Thursday at the Hilton if I’m there early enough, and will be trying to get to the Expo on Friday AM / PM pre or post tour depending on how long everything takes.

If anyone wants to share taxi / bus etc from airport to Hilton on Thursday evening that would be good? It’s the same with general travelling to / from the Hilton for the bus tour, and to / from the Hilton to ParkRun on Saturday.

I will probably just be eating dinner in the Hilton on Saturday night before if anyone else is about, unless there are other recommendations?

Becca7, looks like we are on the same flights out (I think a friend of mine should also be travelling as well, but not sure yet). Hopefully I will get chance to say hi (before I then spend the whole journey asleep)!

I will definitely be up for drinks on Sunday, but will be leaving on an 8-day tour down to Cape Town on Monday morning (at 07:00 – I must be mad) so unfortunately won’t be able to meet up for breakfast and the after.

Two random questions:

1)    I’m just reading the race rules for International Runners and it says “you need written approval (Permit) from your own federation”? Any idea what this is? And no, I’m not looking for a prize, just want to know if I need my UKA card or something else?

2)    I like the idea of the volunteers holding kit at aid stations at 55-60km. It means I can stash some energy gels there if required. Do they give you a bag to put stuff in, or do you need to provide something for them?

• Options
    WilfmannionWilfmannion ✭✭✭

Actually I'm the Dave that Fit-Running-Cat was referring to so I was already in this list. I've updated it.

Departing Thu 19th May
    Emirates MAN-DXB-DUR (Fri 20): zuluboy
    BA LHR-JNB: (Fri 20): Terry48

Departing Sat 21st May
    SAA MAN-DXB-DUR arr 09:50 (Sun 22): justanothrrnr

Departing Tue 24th May
    Emirates LHR-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Wed 25): PG3
    BA55 LHR-JNB 19:05 arr DUR 10:05 (Wed 25) via BA6203/Comair: John1946
    LAD-JNB 14:05 JNB-DUR (Wed 25) 10.55 (SA547): Peter R
    Air France MAN 19:45 arr PAR 22:10 JNB 10:00 (Wed 25) arr DUR 13:15: Fit-Running-Cat

Departing Wed 25th May
    VS601 LHR 20:05 arr JNB 07:55 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35:McHilly, Slow Duck, Wilfmannion
    ATL-JNB overnight stay JNB 13:35 (Thu 26) arr DUR 14:45: Dannirr
    Emirates BHX 21:20 arr DXB 07:15 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Becca7
    BA55 LHR 19:05 arr JNB 07:05 (Thu 26) JNB 09:00 arr DUR 10:05 Comair: PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Mr K
    BA57 LHR 21:20 arr JNB 09:05 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35:Mac3
    Emirates LGW-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Thu 26): Debra Bourne, Old Shadowfax
    Air France CDG 23.25 arr JNB 09:55 (Thu 26) Mango JNB 1600 arr DUR 17:10: Marty74
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Grumpy Penguin

Departing Thu 26th May
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Fri 27) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: lowrez, Sky Blue Arab + crew
    arr DUR (Fri 27) 13:35: XXX Lex XXX

Departing Fri 27th May
    Mango JE253 JNB 13:35 arr DUR 14:45 (Fri 27): Bike It

Hotels
    City Lodge: McHilly, Becca7, Slow Duck, Marty74, Sky Blue Arab + crew, Matt..
    Hilton: PG3, Dannirr, lowrez, XXX Lex XXX, PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Phil Sumner 2, Wilfmannion, Fit-Running-Cat
    Elangeni: John1946
    Belaire Suites: Debra Bourne, Terry48, Grumpy Penguin
    Blue Water: Mr K
    Umhlanga: zuluboy(M&D), Mac3, Peter R (Pearls Apartments)
    Morningside: justanothrrnr(M&D)
    64 On Gordon: Bike It

Fri Night Spiga Dinner
    justanothrrnr, PG3, Becca7 + 2 (Judith, Rob), Marty74, Mc Hilly, Mr K, Terry48 + 2, PATRICIAhopeful +  1(Oliver), Mac3 + 1 (Cristina), zuluboy, Dannirr, Bike It, John 1946 + 1, lambkin, Slow Duck, Wilfmannion, Debra Bourne, Fit-Running-Cat

Bus Tour
    Fri 8am -
     Fit-Running-Cat, Dannirr(#3), Mc Hilly(#1)
    Fri 9am -
     lambkin, John1946, Mac3, Debra Bourne, PG3, Mr K, Slow Duck, Wilfmannion
    Sat 9am (BF) - lowrez

Saturday Parkrun 8am – DFYB!
    North Beach - 
    Mr K, Mc Hilly, Dannirr, zuluboy, PATRICIAhopeful, Slow Duck, Debra Bourne, justanothrrnr, Wilfmannion
    Umhlanga - 
    Mac3

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

cashford - fantastic marathon time. You will go well, just leave some beer for us all the end in the tent thoughimage

My flight lands a few minutes after the dubai one on thursday and mentioned to becca a few pages back about sharing a taxi. Hopefully you will all wait for me!!!!

I'm on friday bus 6 as well.

Not sure about your random questions though. Certainly haven't seen volunteers at the aid stations unless you are referring to the complete marathons package organised by Bruce Fordyce.

• Options

decent time there caash. I've always said that I'll run a marathon one day and train for IT and not just use them as a quali for comrades. 

I think your question 1st about permits is only if you're an international runner, running for a SA club? Loads of the Nedbank runners are internationals and need clearance before running any ASA events.

I've never heard of aid stations like that along the route. Some elite Athlete's will pay locals to stand at certain locations for them with a bag, if they don't have enough people to second them along the route.

There will be loads of running club tables along the way and usually if you ask they will be more than happy to bounce you a few gels, plasters, vasseline, cheers etc etc.

Complete Marathons is the one to use though. Last year I had family seconding me and for them it was a logistical masterpiece but an utter ball ache making sure they were at set locations at certain times. Thankfully we had inside info from Westville running club on places to park within close proximity to the course. 

• Options

Lowrez, I'm probably going to take a drive up next Tue / Wed as the weather is set to be a bit cooler. I'll grab some pics for sure.. 

• Options
    caashfordcaashford ✭✭✭

Regarding he aid stations, I'm just quoting Terry47 from an earlier post?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/ultra-/-adventure-racing/comrades-2016/292121-83.html

One of the charities at the expo last year provided the facility of leaving a large envelope with them (at the expo) containing whatever gels, etc, etc., that you might choose to collect from their special table at about 55-60k.  Their provided  envelope is marked with your race number.  That service was in return for a very modest donation to their worthy cause (I think it cost only about R60). I used it last year and I'm sure they will probably be offering that again this year.  I forget which charity it was, (not the one of my CC batch) but any of them will point you in the right direction.

• Options

good luck to everyone doing Comrades. Have been lurking awhile as am thinking of entering next year and you're all so helpful. Looking forward to reading the race reports. Hope the weather's spot onimage

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I think there is an organisation (complete marathons?) where you can pay for one, two or three bag drops and leave food and kit with them.

• Options

Sounds cool Caash - Hopefully they can do it again this year. 

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    New shoes arrived. Relief. Just spend 15 minutes finding the best way to put on the Champion Chip.

Club Time Trial last night and managed 33:09 for 5 miles. Not my best but good enough given I live in hot country at altitude.

Good VLM caashford. I don't think you need the letter from UKA unless you are going for a prize.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Southern Snail - look forward to seeing you on the 2017 forum!

• Options
    Caashford, I like the way you had a nightmare Feb and only just managed a 2:32 marathon at vlm. We'd all like that problem.

Wilf Mannion is Dave. Who knew. image
  • Options

Just to make you even more nervous .......

Barry Holland has run 41 consecutive Comrades marathons, starting in 1973. The majority of these Barry has run for Jeppe, but I believe that he has now retired down to the North Coast at Ballito, where he continues to run and is now being chased around by the resident Bomber G-Batch Captain, Denton Muil #5900

He has a best time of 6:29 and has 22 Silvers. Here is his description of the Down Run, written before the 2009 Down Run.

After 36 years on the road I remain convinced that the down-Comrades is more difficult than the up-Comrades. It is, however, faster. You trade 10-20 minutes for very sore legs. It is more difficult not only because of the tremendous pounding that your legs take on the descents, but also because in addition to this there are a great many hills to be climbed on the so-called ‘down-run’. Ninety kilometres of running is a daunting task; whether you’re Bruce Fordyce or contesting the last-man-home trophy. It is extremely helpful if you can break the race up into ‘bite-sized chunks’. The terrain does change quite appreciably over the distance and various stages should be run differently. In other words, there are parts of the trip between Pietermaritzburg and Durban when one can float like a butterfly, putting time in the bank, and there are sections where one is best served by putting your head down and just grinding it out.

Start to Umlaas road (0kms – 18kms)

No sooner have you found your stride than you face the long slow climb out of Pietermaritzburg. Remember it could be very cold so watch the weather reports and be prepared to run with an old top and gloves that you can throw away. There are a series of long, but not very steep climbs, especially after Polly’s (8km). Take these easy – it is a long day ahead and there is lots of time for racing later. However, if you are racing for a specific time, you cannot afford to be too cautious over these first 18kms. At best you should only be a few minutes behind schedule. You cannot afford to have to make up too much time later on. As you crest the hill at Mpushini (LynnfieldPark turnoff) at 16kms, you will see a water tower on top of a hill ahead on the left. You pass it about 2kms later and that is the end of the long climb out of Pietermaritzburg. (This is also, incidentally, the highest point on the course). It is at the 18km mark, or Umlaas Road.

Umlaas Road to Inchanga (18kms – 41kms)

This is undoubtedly the fastest section of all Comrades running – up or down. This is the time to relax and do that floating that I was talking about. You can pick up the pace and pull back those minutes you were behind schedule. You can afford to go into credit and pick up a few minutes, but once again you must exercise control. This is still the first half of the race and throwing caution to the wind over this stretch will lead to serious trouble later. There are no major hills over this section, so every incline is short and recovery is fast. Watch out for the crippled children at the Harrison Flats; there’s is a special rousing welcome out of the heart of Africa.

Nchanga to Hillcrest (41kms – 52kms)

As they say in the classics: “The party’s over and now the work begins.” On the Pietermaritzburg side of Nchanga, which is at about 41kms, the fast section is over and you are into 11kms of severe climbing. First there is the back of Inchanga plus the severe drop into Drummond to the halfway mark and then the steep climb out of Drummond to Alverston. The AlverstonRadioTower marks your target as you say “good morning” to the legendary Arthur Newton at Arthur’s Seat. After

• Options

Cont/:

After cresting the Alverston climb you will drop a little again and then begin the climb up to Botha’s Hill. After the steep drop down Botha’s Hill there is a much shorter, but still quite steep climb up to Hillcrest. This has covered the toughest 11kms of the down-Comrades. Once again, exercise extreme caution. Relax and let the hills come to you. Those who are racing hard will not be able to relax too much because we are well into the second half of the race and the clock is ticking. Still, run sensibly – don’t leave your Comrades on those hills.

Hillcrest to Pinetown (53kms – 70kms)

Here lies your greatest opportunity on the down-Comrades – 18kms of ‘easy’ running with no major up hills in the way. Remember, however, that you’ve already run a long way and you’ll be asking your tired legs to perform at their optimum running speed for the day. The course undulates gently downhill. Settle down and run. Feed off the fantastic crowds. Talk to them – give them your pain. If you’re racing, it is this section that sets you up for your time. This is racing country with lots of shade and people. Only one major problem exists though: the mighty 3, 2 km downhill of Fields Hill. This downhill pounding can turn your quads to jelly. Please exercise extreme caution and go down Fields Hill slowly. If you don’t, the graveyard awaits you at the bottom.

Pinetown to Finish (70 kms – 89 kms)

I do not say lightly that the race begins in Pinetown. All that has gone before is 70 kms of hard physical running. Now starts the true mental battle that is the signature tune of the Comrades Marathon. These 20 kms and the mental bashing you will take is what make the Comrades great. I have often said that your legs can get you to Pinetown but only your head can get you home to the finish. Once again, the course undulates with some very severe hills – getting harder all the time as you go further. As you come out of Pinetown there is the famous Cowies Hill and after that they just keep on coming. Try and break up this last 18 kms with some mind games i.e. 16 kms to go; only a morning run; 10 kms to go and so on.

Nothing I say can really prepare you for the Comrades but these notes may help. Run the race to Pinetown knowing that you have done the training. From Pinetown to home take heart from the knowledge that you’re meeting one of the great sporting challenges of South Africa.

You are running the greatest road race in the world.

• Options
    John1946John1946 ✭✭✭

The long-range weather forecast for Durban on the 29th now suggests a maximum temperature of 19 degrees on race day...

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/south-africa/durban/ext

...so those of you in the sauna can come on out!

However, yesterday the same site was predicting 26 degrees, so be prepared to pop back in.

• Options

Metcheck says PMB will be about 8deg. at the start with a slight breeze.  If anyone's interested they sell a cloth-type top at the expo for ZAR20 that you can discard

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

8 - 19 would be pretty awesome, however the Weather Channel is still predicting hot!

Interestingly enough John, heat adaptation makes you a better cold weather runner too - the increase in plasma volume just helps keep your heart rate lower image