Options

PSOF Championships 2017?

Comments

• Options

The long one out of town past the caravan park to the far turnaround point on the run course, wasn't overly happy going back up the side road when partway down that hill to the band handout point either, or the final 'make up the distance' slope just as you get into town overlooking the swim start image

• Options
    Lets drop 2018 for the moment and get 2017 sorted...

Or do we cancel the champs in 2017?
  • Options

I'm not too sure why we have to switch from Bolton ?

• Options

You sure don't, like Henley though it may be mildly unattended if the Bolton thread desertion is anything to go by

• Options
    Can't think why, Lanzarote, lake Placid, Bolton.....they all have so much in common
  • Options

TBH did the first Bolton and it was ok but my least favourite of the ones I have done IF I was racing long next year it wouldn't be there

• Options

Plug for Switzerland for 2017.

It will be 8 years (2009) since we were last there.

We have been to the UK twice in recent years, (2012 & 2013)
    We are going to Spain (Mallorca) this year should be going back to Spain again in 2017 with Lanza?

Accommodation: Just checked youth hostel prices (we have stayed before and very close to Ironman village), GBP 35 pppn bed and breakfast for shared room. Double and single and family rooms available.
    Or Hotel IBIS (little further but not much) or Camping near by.

Lots of Direct Flights to/from UK (Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, City, Manchester, Edinburgh) with a number of airlines.
    Less than 8 hours drive from Calais.
    Nirvana offer bike transport from UK.

Side events: Zurich Triathlon, with Sprints, Olympic and relay on Saturday.
    Ironkids Sunday.

Easy public transport to get out on the bike course for supporters.
    Bike Course is not mountainous, with only 200m more climb over the two laps than Austria.

New run course this year which took us into the old city of Zurich... hope it is kept for 2017

Date 30th July 2017 fits school holidays north and south of the border. Allows lots of time for training, even for hills image

Did not sell out in 2016 so you should have time to save your pennies....
    Transfer possible to anyone entered in another European IM...

What do you think?

• Options

Switzerland was my first one and I really did love it.....but the ship has been there twice before and never been to Wales  image  image..

also wasnt switzerland a non wetsuit swim one year recently  image

But I have retired so will shut my mouth  image

• Options

Hmmm, Wales in September or the rest of Europe in late spring/early and mid summer, toughie that one! image

• Options

For some it is not tough... Some have to do early summer.... in case numbers come up for legacy places...

And as I said in my post earlier today we have been to the UK two years running 2012 and 2013...

While I am sure Wales may be great and everything else Ironman Wales with its current date in late September is a disaster waiting to happen.

With its current date is very close to the Equinox and so is prone to Equinox Gales... As a qualified sailing instructor, and having grown up on the coast, I am concerned about the safety of a sea swim at that time of year, hence I never been tempted to enter.

• Options

it has had a few bad days but the swim is in the sheltered beach and so has always been ok despite the weather........I appreciate it is a tough one and so not a lot of people want to do it....but I will always suggest it everytime a discussion is made as I love the event  image  image

• Options

Wales swim was interesting compared with Austria or Zurich, bit of swell, but even someone as apparently shit as me got round sub 1:40. Maybe I'd have a change of heart about doing it again one day but next year is pretty much sorted for me already so I'm not overly bothered wherever it goes

• Options

My vote is either Lakesman or Wales

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

The weather at Wales is always very changeable, which does make it a big gamble.  I changed into 3/4 length running tights the year I did it, after getting very cold on the bike.  I finished the race running in my winter pirate cycle jacket.  I appreciate that it's a great venue but if you want guaranteed good weather, it's not a great bet.

The problem with Lakesman is that if it is nearly full then it's likely to close before all those who want to do the Championship race can enter.

What about all the races that have never been a Championship race? Vichy was a popular alternative to Mallorca this year.  We've never been to Denmark, Barcelona.  Lanza always seems to meet with resistance, which is a shame as it's an outstanding race.  It seems a shame to go back to an event when there are many unexplored alternatives.

• Options

You can pay the Lakesman in instalments 

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

That's not what I mean Dave, what I mean is that if it's decided it's the race and then people find out it's full, that's not great.

• Options

The impression I got last time I spoke to the organisers was that Lakesman wasn't nearly full, but it was selling at a good rate and certainly would fill up.

• Options

I think its to late in the year to be looking at alternative 2017 options other than Lanza and Lakesman, when so many people have already committed to one or the other or both.

All the other events suggested have their appeal but I dont think at this stage will draw anything other than a very small number.

I also dont think we should be dissuaded by the weather prospects of Wales for a potential 2018 pirate champs.

Having done both Lanza and Wales twice, they are in my opinion (for different reasons) the best two Ironman events, it would be nice to see them both as pirate championship races.

• Options

I've entered Lakesman and Bolton but I'm not adverse to supporting at Lanza even though I've earmarked it for a the 'this time it's personal' race 2018.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Accepting your arguments then Barley, Lakesman is the statistically most popular race (based on current entries) and therefore should be the champs, shouldn't it? Particularly if Mallowpuff says it's not that close to being full.
  • Options

chatted with some of the Lakesman team on Saturday at the event I did, they are very coy about numbers ( no list of entrants on the website ) But were happy that entries are going better than expected 

• Options

Statistically Outlaw is the most popular race.

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Certainly does, though I didnt mean a vote a such, just a means of reaching a collective decision via discussions within a group that has an iron in the fire so to speak.

From my experience the best way of deciding is a core group making a decision then putting it out there.  Putting something to a wider vote often results in a compromise that not many are really behind, be that events, socials etc.

Ultimately the champs doesnt have to be the most popular event or most attended, else we'd be at Outlaw every year, but it does need a critical mass.

• Options

Outlaw it is then image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    I'm just trying to help Carl. You don't have to contradict everything I say. Statistically more people have currently declared a solo interest in Lakesman. Doesn't Outlaw have 10+ teams but a lower number of declared solo intentions to date?

If it's a discussion based on irons in the fire the largest noise is being made for Lakesman.

It makes no difference to me. I'm just trying to help draw a conclusion, I'll let you get on with it.
  • Options
    So am I going to Lanza or the Lake District for my hollibobs ????
  • Options

Both!

But don't forget to save some leave for a trip to Zurich and maybe a weekend in Nottingham too as things stand image

• Options

Its not for me to make a decision but I will if that's the preference, sometimes a decision just needs to be made. The alternative is to wait until Mallorca and let those attending decide collectively (possibly the best option now?)

I started this thread to help, to try and resolve indecision, then expressed a preference but tried to avoid steering the argument, other than to highlight Lanza and Lakesman as the obvious choices.

I suppose one persons discussion is another's contradiction.  I suggested we avoid focussing on the 'which event has the greatest solo interest'.  I think there's more to it than that, some examples have been argued for in the earlier pages and that noise doesnt apprear to be for Lakesman (anecdotally or statistically).

There was a massive solo interest in Henley in 2013, yes many of those that argued for it didnt eventually enter.  A few weeks ago there was a significant solo interest in IMUK which hs since waned.

• Options
    Outlaw will certainly be the Relay Champs, but it does look like Lakesman will have the highest number of solo entries. It's also a good course for supporting on the run with it having 5 laps.