Options

PSOF Championships 2017?

Comments

• Options

I wouldn't say 'in-fighting" as such, SA.  Both Barlos and I have previously come in for criticism for being seen as "the ones who organise everything" so, for me, it's been interesting to see what has evolved through there being no direct control/guidance this time round.  

• Options

Trouble is as we get bigger it just gets impossible to please everyone and reach a unanimous decision hey ho image 

i am quite happy that those that bothered to front up to the previous bash get the privilege of picking the next, then if it floats your boat go for it if not there's stacks of other races out there

• Options

ironically, the attendance numbers are significantly lower than they used to be.... but other than that, agree entirely about the decision being made by the previous year's crew...

Would be nice to have an 80+ person event... maybe 2018!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Hamburg has a 15hr15 cut off, could make thing interesting.
  • Options
    Symes wrote (see)

Hamburg 2017

Wales 2018

Lanza 2019

WA 2020

Kona 2021

Forcibly shut PSOF down 2022

I like this list!

edit: except for the forcibly shutting down part.

• Options
    I am sure it will be a popular race, nice location, Tri friendly already due to races run there. Potentially flat as a pancake but routes aren't confirmed. Interesting watching the debate and I think now a vote has been had it should be embraced and as suggested maybe start the 2018 vote a bit earlier, good luck to all that go there and thanks to all for the fun in Mallorca
  • Options

Re Lanza and Wales, I wonder if so many of us have done them as smaller groups that there's less impetus behind doing them as the main championship race.  Lanza was covered by the burger boys many years ago, then Min went, then there has been a group that has gone every year since 2013.  Similarly, there's always a small group that goes down to Tenby.

• Options

agree with Mouse, wasnt the year the championship was at Henley, more people went to Lanza than did Henley

Being one of the people that have done both Tenby and Lanza when there wasn't a big sailing there is less impetus for me going back, that said the after race party we had at Lanza this year was something else

I do like Symes list though

Not wanting to open another can of worms about which ones are easy, I'm just asking the question, would we be better not picking all the harder ones as a championship race if we are still keen to still recruit newbies to the champs each year?

• Options

I'm keen to sail in 2018 as having 2017 off of IM distance. 

I don't mind the location as long as there is a chance of warm weather and a guarantee of cold beer!

• Options
    We don't need anyone "in control" as such as that's 1) bollocks and 2) not what we're about. We just need to agree on a way of sorting it. An agreed way of voting, such as Survey Monkey would work, or at the very least we agree that those at the champs decide for the next year. But whatever, it needs to be decisive.
  • Options

I think Mouse has nailed it...

..and agree with SA... the Lanza after party was a tidly bit massive this year!....

not sure on the 'hard IMs put people off' bit.... PSOF has managed to get a lot of people along to races like Nice in the past, and that's not an easy race by any measure... I think the challenge is more one of 'marketing'.... with the RW forum slowly becoming less and less active, then we only have our attendance at races to promote ourselves, and no obvious easy channel for people to follow up on interest when they see us there...  and add to that, the forum and FB can be a bit 'abrupt' when people enquire how to join, and you've not got a recipe for massive growth...  assuming that's what we want anyway!

• Options
    I' agree to an extent but How many of those voting at the champs had done Lanza, I don't think it was that many, also Lanza seemed to be the most popular/most supported option on this thread.

I'm not saying that to change the decision. Hamburg means Hamburg

I'm not sure that numbers is the problem, it's engagement, Newbies are pointed to RW forum as they've always been, it's up to them whether they participate or stand on the sidelines. That said the forum isn't what it was with participation spread accross FB & Twitter also (I rarely look on FB and never joined Twitter)

I think another factor affecting the champs is the sheer number of event options now, also the constant draw of Outlaw. Lanza, Outlaw, Mallorca .

Big isn't always best, you can have a better time at a race attended by a dozen pirates than one with 100? It's also nice that there is a representation at many more races e.g this year ive seen a total of maybe 40-50 pirates racing at 226, Outlaw, Weymouth and Wales.

One things for sure, things will change over time, but 11 years on PSOF is still going strong. It's good to see people who were newbies 2,3,4,5 years ago getting stuck in and shaping the future image
  • Options
    Symes wrote (see)

A superb piece of fucked up thinking/planning really, it's probably IMUK, no it's likely to be Lakesman, maybe we'll go with Lanza, tell you what, we'll throw Hamburg in from absolutely nowhere.

To add, I have no vested interest in where the champs are, I'm in for a couple of events already with guaranteed atmosphere whether there's just like-minded people taking part or we have to interrupt valuable drinking time with voting image

Absolutely nailed on the head Symes.

But I also agree with Captain Barlos' analysis. On a personal note, if I'm committing that much money on entry fees, accommodation and possibly travel, *(and a bit of training), then I want a return. I want an event with atmosphere, support, scenery, beer, and a bit of Pirate banter.

Wales ticks those boxes for me. You're welcome to join me.
    Henley was my first, but the "party" involved 6 people having a round of coffees in a pub.
    Outlaw has become a legend in its own lunchtime.
    This Mallorca looks like it has become a legend for all the best reasons. A proper rum soaked sailing.

One year I'll make it on the boat. Maybe the kids will have to leave home first. Hamburg seems to tick a lot of boxes, including the school holiday one. Have fun, and remember: What goes on tour.....is safe if Seren's trying to photograph it.

• Options
    you think PSOF has died a death, you shouod look in on other web forums, at least you lot get together and organise a central race. Others (no names mentioned) dont

Good to meet up with a lot of pirates over in mallorca this year and would thank you all that were here for the support out the course whch is where its at

Whatever the decision, get behind the group that came to that decision, late or not, and for those that want the dupport of others get entered .

For me, Hamburg doesnt work next year, but look forward to follwing your exploits!
  • Options

totally agree Barlos and with others, we need to make a decision on making decisions in the future image

• Options

So what we need is a kit committee, an events committee, a social committee, an awards committee and probably a committee committee, we'll end up being a real club soon you just watch... image image

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

and add to that, the forum and FB can be a bit 'abrupt' when people enquire how to join, and you've not got a recipe for massive growth...  assuming that's what we want anyway!

how very dare you!  image

• Options

• Options
    I agree with some of the comments on here

For me I'm always happy with whatever race is chosen. I have done a few of the chosen races ... But I have also done races where there were only a few pirates ... And another where I was the only pirate there.

I enjoy them all.

But one thing I have noticed is when you pull on the pirate colours , you are instantly recognisable and never alone ... Every one talks to you

But I would also like to add my voice to others who have said it may be better if we choose the race a bit earlier ...
  • Options

So.... does anyone have any objection if I set up a thread immediately in the new year to requests nomination for the championship event for 2018?, with only two provisos:

• If its already been a champs its ineligible
    • It must be in Europe

and then follow up in Feb, for one month, with a Survey Monkey poll for pirates to vote for their preference.... decision done and dusted by end of Feb, so up to 18 months of notice in some cases, and at least a year for any of the races.

Yep, there will be those that vote and never signup, but thats kind of the case with the threads already that discuss poss venues.... and I can't help but think that an early decision will help get the numbers along... plus its a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy, in that if people see an event with a dozen entries already, then it snowballs... and it would be great to have another BIG pirate champs!

as said above.... any objections?

• Options

I'm not sure that already being the champs should rule it out ... after all I think germany has been champs twice and was a success both times 

• Options

see also Austria and France

• Options

Not wanting to complicate things further, but re a straight vote some people might have a vague preference but not overly care too much on the actual venue but have a greater preference over the time of year.

For example, I've had Lanza on my 'to do' list for a while and went from tentatively thinking about doing it in 2017 to more serious planning when it looked like it would be the Pirate Champs.

With the decision made to go to Hamburg, if Hamburg was at any other time than slap in the middle of the school summer holidays I probably would have switched to doing it as it would be good to join the champs.  I could have saved Lanza for another year - e.g. the year it is the champs (if that happens). As it is, there is no way I could do Hamburg in the middle of August so I'll stick with Lanza. 

However, had something other than Hamburg (and Lanza) been selected that was in May/ June I probably would have gone with that. 

So, for me, unless for some reason it was a race I absolutely didn't want to do, the decision would be more around the date rather than any specific location.

• Options

OK.... so how about any event that has been the champs in the last 5 years... stops it being too much of a 'repeat'.... would count out (I think, from memory) Austria, France, Mallorca and Henley (plus Regensburg which no longer exists!)?

• Options

So Sunnysider Phil, nominate and vote for a race that fits your preferred date range... you might not be alone and get the race you'd prefer....  at least this way, we get a decision that can't be constantly knocked back down

• Options

Why does it have to be in Europe?  Is that cost based?  I guess the race for 2020 is getting the exception because it's been discussed so early?

• Options

That was the thinking Mouse.... it can get very expensive to race outside of Europe, and while many do, it would limit the attendance at a champs quite severely.... and as you say, WA is a long way ahead, and the discussion at Lanza was to give people time to prep financially.... it may well also, not be the official champs, just a well attended non-European race I guess?

• Options
    Sounds like we almost have a plan

ps

Regensburg is now a challenge race
  • Options

Saying that there is no guarantee the IM race you enter won't still be an IM race on the day ...image

• Options

The past few champs (I think)

2010 Germany 

2011 Regensburg

2012 Outlaw

2013 Henley

2914 France

2015 Austria

2016 Mallorca