Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options

:/  Think you are right HA .... I will train harder!

• Options
    Well done for stopping for that accident Spoons. I think it's got quieter on here since they made it shite.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Great report spoons - you're progressing at an alarming rate, I see no reason why 2.55 shouldn't be on the cards. See how you feel on the day though - the year I ran a PB of 1.23 I ended up going 3.13 in London - for one reason or another I just didn't have it that day. I'm sure that was a one-off though and with the right training you'll be good to go.

Tom - absolutely outstanding time mate. That really is impressive. I don't see why you can't keep getting better as well, having quite a young running age. 

Sun's out here! 30 degrees by 9 in the morning. Stupidly drank some tap water and my stomach is paying for it big time which is meaning I'm not getting the quality I would like in. Really hard in the heat. Going to upload some more cool photos of all the cars on strava over the next few days - it's so fun being able to wander around the pit lane. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice race report Spoons! I like the way you look so chilled in the photos while those around you are gurning! It is amazing when you discover that you can maintain a pace that you couldn't before.

Great MLR as ever Tom.

15 miles for me yesterday. Much warmer and lighter than the previous weeks so happy days. 6 miles run commute this morning and now rest up for some LT torture tomorrow.
  • Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

My conversion is 2*HM + 20 but my full time lost about 8minutes in 3 different toilet stops and I don't think I have really trained for a half. Not even taken advantage of marathon training to do a good half. Eyeing up Torbay which is 9 weeks after London in the hope I can go under 90mins for that.

Went a little off plan this morning. Was meant to be 12 MLR but felt I wanted to go a bit quicker after Mondays LT was cut short due to the wind. Averaged 7:45 which is 20seconds slower than hopeful marathon pace. Also went a little further as finished it off at 13.1m although this was mainly to do with not working out my route to work right and therefore doing an extra mile (and the 0.1 to make it a half!)

• Options
    Being able to comment on a page, not just the last, is really confusing me. Simple mind, simple problems. 

6M recovery. Had the opportunity to treat myself to a post work run - in the daylight! Felt a bit niggly and sacked it off at 5.8M - very rare I do that. Still, up for 13 MLR in the morning. Podcasts loaded, raring to go!

This'll be my first ever week, I hope, of 3 x 13M+ runs. I've been really enjoying embracing the P&D MLRs. Definitely take inspiration from the thread. 
  • Options
    Nice running Ram, Trev + SQ.

Had to come inside here, it's too hot. Air con is an absolute lifesaver.

Shameless plug for my London marathon fundraising page/GWR attempt - any donations however small appreciated massively! I know we all know we can run marathons but I thought it might be worth it just for the chafage. 

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=spraggins
  • Options
    I'm still curious how you're going to stop your goggles fogging..
  • Options

Tom, Joe - Thanks, another push towards 2:55. I suppose even if I went out at that pace and faded a bit I should still dip under 3 as long as I didn’t fall apart. Hmmm. Perhaps I’ll try 2:55 pace at Brighton…

Ramjet - Yeah I seem to have quite a good poker face when running, but I was definitely working hard in those last few photos!

Look forward to seeing those photos Joe, very cool job you’ve got yourself there! I see the FE races are going to be on C5 this year, I kept forgetting they were on tucked away on ITV28 or whatever channel it was on!

Second swimming lesson today. Made sure I stood up after every lap to stretch the calves. Still cramped a few times, but they feel way better than last week. Pfitzinger is kind enough to schedule a 7 mile LT session on the Friday after a HM, currently debating whether to drop that or not. Sounds like hard work…

• Options
    I don't think Pfitzinger scheduled an LT run after a HM because he didn't schedule the HM. Of course you should drop it.
  • Options
    I'm slightly off schedule as I raced Worthing instead of doing it at MP, but I checked earlier and in the 85+, 18 week plan the first tune-up race is a HM and in the following week there is 12 miles with 7 @ LT on Friday...  :)
  • Options
    Oh well, in that case enjoy! :)
  • Options
    To be honest, I dropped that 7 mile LT session every single time I did P&D. Have actually never done it!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Don't think I've ever done that 7 mile LT session either. 
    I always do our local 10 miler so that usually replaces it. 
    11 easy miles for me which was a lot less of a slog than last nights run. Wearing my Hoka's for a couple of runs a week is helping my ankles an knees. 
  • Options

Pleased the foot is improving AWC!

Pushed the pace a bit on last night's run, so 7:10 pace for 47 mins. Spin bike group class this morning so a further 50 mins done, easy 30 mins this evening

Looks a good company to work for Joe, not a bad work trip ;)

• Options
    I seem to remember doing it at night with a head torch on.

4 mile recovery tonight, HR was nice and low which is a good sign and 7:28 felt really easy. I do have a sore toe from pushing off the wall swimming.

Planning to run tomorrow which will be my first time running two days on the trot, no pun intended as this will be a bit faster than recovery.

• Options
    Don't think you need the LT session after that race Spoons however if the legs & engine are up for it then give it a bash.
    Sacked yesterdays 9M with 6x600m efforts off yesterday in favour of my first straight 20M since Jan 8th as I'm sure I work my VO2 levels plenty often enough in races whereas I'm not so good with LSD for the same reason. Can't believe how tough I found it after 4-5 miles at a reasonable pace I got slower & slower til I was struggling with 9's even on the flat. Toughed it out to complete the plan even though I got back to the car on 18.2, I was cold & it was raining heavily. Went out to do 10-11 today & felt so good I threw a couple of extra loops on to bring it up to 15M@7:46. Only really felt like I was working in the penultimate mile which was uphill. Not sure what that's all about unless it was the 4 days of unaccustomed turbo work I'd done Sat-Tues: decided I needed to stop pretending I could get round the Fred Whitton then run up Scafell without some serious bike work before VLM as it's only 2 months later.
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses re the HM > MP conversion. Excluding the outliers (no offence!), it seems to be somewhere between 2x HM + 10-15 mins.

That would make me about 2:56 which doesn't sound unreasonable (2x HM + 12mins). I'd be reluctant to try sub-2.55 since - as HA's wisdom & knowledge echoes in my ears - I'm doing nothing like the same type of mileage as Spoons and others. Top mileage so far has been 55 miles per week, with an average of about 48 miles.

Muddy, I know you're a relatively low-mileage runner - what's your conversion like?

Coop - funnily enough I lecture on photography. Feel free to DM me if I might be able to help (and so we don't both get shown the red!)
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tommo - in the lead up to Hull, I did a half at marathon effort in 1.26.xx . That effort scaled up quite nicely to 2.53

I didn't race a half in that training block though I estimated from hr stats that I was in1.21-1.22 shape. So that makes a conversion of 2 x hm + 10 about right. Suspect with more long runs I may have been able to improve that. Training block average weekly mileage was 43. Aiming for around 55 average after a less than glorious start to the 12 week London campaign.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I like the pics Joe. Looks good. Hope the guts settle.

Jooligan - 18 miles then 15 miles. Mad as always. Top effort though.

Tommo - You could always try sub 2:55 pace in you final MP LR and see how it feels. Not much difference to 2:56 pace really.

Last time I raced a HM instead of the 7mile LT session.

Resting today. I feel like I could run but want to be a bit careful not to have another false start.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Morning all.

Crazy midweek consecutive day mileage Joools! Great stuff.
    Tommo-2:55 it is then!
    Not sure about doing an LT session so close to a HM race effort Spoons.....might not be the best idea in the world but, on the other hand, if you are up for it.......
    I'm quite looking forward to the 7 LT session next week.
    Cheers BR-Hope your guts are feeling a bit better-quality pics!
    Out the door at 4:15 this morning for 14 miles at 6:20s-ticking along nicely.
    Anyone racing this weekend?
    Have a good one.
  • Options
    2XHM +20 works perfectly for me and the vast majority of runners in my club -although we're all 3.30 -4.45 finishers. I suspect if you're nearer the 3 hour mark it will be 2XHM +10
  • Options
    Sian Davies, why did you disagree with my post? Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? :'(
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Who is Sian Davies?

Maybe it's because you implied that I'm wise.

Talking of people I don't know. There are an awful lot of people in the strava group, heaps more than post on the thread. Does that mean there are lots of lurkers on here? The more the merrier I guess.
  • Options
    Yes HA, I noticed that too. Come join in, we don't bite  o:)

Well I decided to just head out and decide what to do after a few miles. Legs felt ok  so I figured I'd try running fast and see what happened, being fully prepared to drop back to MP or even give up if I was really struggling. LT effort immediately felt hard to maintain, so I decided to drop back and attempt 2:55 marathon pace, 6:40/mi. This felt much better, so I just tried to maintain that and see how far I got.

After a few miles I settled nicely. I did consider cutting it short a few times, but always ended up deciding to stick with it. It felt harder than I'd want for the first 7 miles of an actual marathon, but then my legs are very much untapered. Effort felt similar to other MP runs I've done, so that seems positive. The fact I managed this so soon after Worthing does make me wonder if I had a little more in me on Sunday, although I'm still perfectly happy with the result! Regardless, pleased I made the effort to do something, rather than dropping the session entirely.
  • Options
    Haha, Tommo - I was wondering what was so offensive about your post to have someone disagree too. Thanks for offer of accepting a DM on photographic analysis, much appreciated.  

Well done getting in the run when you didn't feel like it Spoons.

I never know who is who on Strava, apart from those of you who helpfully use your real names here.

An easy jog with the dog today, I really want to get this HM in on Sunday so being very careful with my shoulder in advance.
  • Options

Morning all.

Who was it (Tom?) who said a while ago that loved the MLRs, but were never fully motivated for far shorter recoveries? I'm definitely in that mode. Loved the 13M this morning - seemed to get into a nice easy rhythm and it flew by. Lovely to see daylight creeping in to the tail end of the run as well. I guess it requires a bit of planning and motivation to run for 1:40 - 2hrs, whereas a 30-45 minute run is logistically easier and so it's not as necessary to get pumped up for it.

Half term next week (wohoo) and have got a place at Bourton 10k a week on Sunday. So this works pretty nicely for the recovery week. We'll see what gives.

Enjoy beer o'clock later on - I'll be on the river tow path with a brown paper bag again.

• Options
    Hope the shoulder recovers ok JCG
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Spoons, sounds like a decent session on tired legs. 
    Move got 6@LT next week so may adopt your approach rather than bin the session completely. 

We've got visitors coming over tomorrow lunchtime and out for a (very boozy) birthday party in the evening so the only option is to do my long run at 6am tomorrow morning. Will aim to get to parkrun at 8.55 to see how fast I can go on tired legs. 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good to see everyone doing so well from following the P&D schedules.  I did Wokingham HM on Sunday and moved the 6 @LT session to the week before - so this week is a recovery week for me!

I'm running Brighton Marathon on 9 April.  Have used P&D 55-70 for the last few marathons and am following it again with a few tweeks (an extra recovery run rather than the rest day and a few extra miles on some of long runs).  So the last 4 weeks have come out as c. 75 Miles, with two 22 mile and two 20 mile long runs (one including the HM).

I'm hoping I can get in to 2:59 shape for Brighton - just need to nail the next four weeks.

It looks like Runspoonrun is doing Brighton (much faster than me from your training!) - is anyone else?