Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not me Simon. I'm off up to the Lakes that Friday :-)

I'm also now quite pleased to discover that my annoyance at leaving Braithwaite the day before the Coledale Horseshoe race starts from there (Lady's record held by someone in all the papers today!) is slightly tempered by finding out there is a race an hours drive away on the Sunday I'm there, and a short but brutal evening race starting just up the road on the Wednesday....

Is that F3 race at Dorney SG? There's a place that catches the wind!

• Options
    Got my LFOTM number through - who else is in? SG, Bus and PMJ? Cant remember...

Matt, sounds a good step forward with your new mentor.

Simon, I'm not up for LFOTM in March. I like to do a few in a row and I'm busy April so will try May and June.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Thought you were in Phil! Oh well. Me, aley and Simon. Although let's get next week done first!

Just tried some Brooks Hyperion on. Look incredible. And so light you have to look at your feet to tell you have shoes on!

Will get a pair to finally replace this 900mile pair of Adios 2, discontinued back about 4 years ago (!)
    Got too confused trying to work out what Adios/Boston/2/3/Boost etc etc actually were.

ps Bus, says Eton, so not sure it's Dorney Lake. Will look later. Probably shouldn't look too closely, as £25+ is insane for 5k/10k for that level of race
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps ta Tipp topp.I remember once you came perhaps 2nd at the Wycombe half...and were asking whether it was actually that tough a course post first hill.
    It was the last time i did it!! :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    SC: plus one for LFoM! You'll have finished your warm down by the time I finish though!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    No that's ok TipTop. I was only half guessing about the Lydiard high mileage phase.
    Something else on the subject. Vast mileages made some very good runners. It also wiped out many more. It's horses for courses.

I should add that while all and sundry get carried away with training plans and useful examples of success, they should realise that the source of such success was based on a super athlete of less than thirty years of age.
    Most of us here, are thirty plus or even 40 or 50 years plus. That training simply won't apply.

Older runners have to train smart. It's about recovery. Younger runners can throw the kitchen sink at a session and improve. Older runners try the same session and end up being hit with a lump of porcelain with Armitage Shanks written on it. 

🙂

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I agree, Ric: sitting here at 63 I can definitely say older runners have to train smarter, listen to the body more, know their limits within a session, or series of sessions,  and back off as necessary. In any case, everyone is different and big miles did me no favours. Works for others of course. 

Brief case studies of three of our club marathon runners; 2:16, 2:17 and 2:20 to illustrate that there are different ways to achieve similar results: 

2:16 ran over a 100 miles every week year after year, all very slow. Raced most weeks which was the speed session.

2:20 ran 50 to 60 miles a week, all faster than 6 minute miling, with a weekly 10.5 miles in under 55 minutes and a long run of 18 to 20 miles at sub 6. No speed sessions and only raced three or four times a year. Capable of much better time than the other two but blew up in a marathon in Holland when he ran 65:30 for the first half in 90 degrees. Finished 3rd in 2:28 but didn't  Rarely ran again.

2:17 ran 60 to 70 miles a week. One long run and two to three track/rep sessions. High quality steeplechaser.

All had similar ten mile PBs between 8 and 49 minutes!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure which of those first 2 would break most of us lot down quicker...

100 miles slow, and load of racing, or 50-60miles all very fast

That latter mileage feels comfy these days, but clearly not at that pace!

And allowing for a couple of hours a day not wanting to converse with anyone, bar on here :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Brooks Hyperion's on way, after an incredible 851.75 miles in the absolutely battered Adios 2!

Think i'll try and protect these a bit more by doing all warm ups to sessions in clogs, then switching. I've heard 500 tops will be the limit in these!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Don't you alternate shoes, SG? I never wear the same pair two days in a row, usually longer, except when away when I usually manage with one pair. 
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I tried a pair of the Hyperions on but they were just too narrow for me. 

Bus, I've read a few comments on fb where there's been sympathy for Lauren Jeska aka Larry Jeska ;-) Not only did he/she cheat others out of British championship medals, international vests etc, she then drove 100 miles with two knives and tried to drive them through an old blokes head. What. The. Fuck.

poor lass eh? :-/ 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Aley, of course...the Adios 2 only get a wheeling for sessions or races. It's 2 pairs of Wave Riders for all the other runs.

ML, I've seen a few people say that, but I didn't find them too narrow at all. Maybe because the Adios were fairly tight boxed. These don't have that mesh stuff, so hopefully I won't toe through them!

Hopefully the loss in weight can undo the gain in weight from the heavy Datchet vest!

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Haha SG. I think if I ran it now it'd break me, and yep, I was second there one year. Nearly 8 minutes behind Mr Cooray. He was already nearly out of sight by the time we cleared the Rye as I remember it. Different class.

No worries Ric; you sounded certain, so I thought you'd misunderstood, rather than guessed, so figured I'd offer some insight into how it actually worked in case somebody thought you were right. It's an easy mistake - one of the biggest misconceptions about Lydiard is that it's long slow distance.

Ric/alehouse - I agree with the high mileage/horses for courses assertion, though I do think more would thrive off of it if they remembered two things: 1) those high mileage schedules were built up to over time - Barry (Magee) was training under Lydiard for 9 years before he won his Olympic Marathon bronze, and 2) the training is only one part of it (too many people, and I've done this in the past, do the running, but don't consider the recovery).
    I set my marathon pb doing less mileage than when I had trained under Barry, but still pretty high. I've gone back to be trained by Barry now, but my circumstances are different so I will have more recovery time, so will hopefully be better able to absorb the higher mileage (once I sort out my anaemia).
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Clearly a very disturbed individual Matt - none of it makes much sense to me! Not sure where it all leaves the lady's records "she" took though. 

Anyway - I'm trying to combine the best of a high-mileage, slow-intensity and low-mileage high-intensity training regime by doing low-mileage, low intensity :-)

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Would absolutely agree, TT: those miles need to be built up over a long period of time. Around 10 years in the case of 2:16 above: 6 miles to work, 10 back, except on a Wednesday when it was longer back. I guess there was a little progression in there over time, but basically it was the consistent consistency that produced the goods. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TT, you're a brave man to correct Ric and live to tell the tale :D

I remember when some other international geezer, McFarlane (?) turned up one year and said he "knew" no one was going to compete with him after the first field!

So 1/4 mile into a half marathon he "knew" no one was going to compete with him!

I remember thinking that incredible, but I found similar, albeit miles down the quality stakes at the Ealing mile the other week. Knew within about 100metres the same thing.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    That's where I have fallen down in the past alehouse - the lack of consistent consistency. Barry is being a bit more moderate with me this time around because it has been over 2 years since I've trained properly, so I need to rebuild properly (but over 10 years of running I racked up almost 33,000 miles, which should help me get back there quicker), but I have taught myself to be more sensible over the years.

lol SG. I've got Lydiard experience that most don't through Barry, and am aware there are a lot of misconceptions, so like to help out ;-)  I was in a similar situation (a very distant 2nd) at Basingstoke a few years back, but at least got a decent few quid for that one. I've been on the other end myself a few times - New Forest full and half spring to mind (different years obviously). Hit the front about 2-2.5m in on both and knew that that was it done and dusted. A strange feeling.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

From my very limited experience of front running, and probably also due to them being more on the bootleg side of the racing experience, I remember the sheer stress of having to pay huge attention to that thing we all take for granted...namely what direction to keep running in!

From marshals standing at cross roads not offering a direction, to those sat behind hedges that you don't see until you've flown past, it's a stressful business.

At least I shared a thread chuckle at one of the parkruns in the summer, basically making my own course up, and "sorting it" with the organiser geezer to still keep the "win" :-) :-)

• Options

Cheers for the responses re: LFOTM, thought there were more going, quick pint after? day off, off to Soton v Bmth the day after and the missus and sprog staying at her mums that night..what could possibly go wrong ;)

Did 10 x 30 secs along Regents Canal Tues night - it was typical Camden that someone was smoking pot on my little section. I was floating along etc etc..felt ok actually. Track torture at Luton tonight...

Training consistency? Basically the backbone of good form I think. Stick 6 months injury free training together and you're laughing.

Talking of front running - the only LFOTM that I won was when the leader went wrong. It was on the way back when he decided to run up to the road instead of keeping left by the lake and going under the road. Cheers fella!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Stevie G said:

TT, you're a brave man to correct Ric and live to tell the tale :D

I remember when some other international geezer, McFarlane (?) turned up one year and said he "knew" no one was going to compete with him after the first field!

So 1/4 mile into a half marathon he "knew" no one was going to compete with him!

I remember thinking that incredible, but I found similar, albeit miles down the quality stakes at the Ealing mile the other week. Knew within about 100metres the same thing.

Not in this case SG.
    I was being lazy and made a flip comment based on the flimsiest of information.
    Usually I check the facts prior to some statement. However in this case I was feeling a bit tired.
    What the hell.
    It's only a forum, not a High Court trial.

As for training. Starting at 4:00am! I did 30 minutes on the indoor bike, then six miles running on the road, starting at 9:00 mile pace and finishing with bursts of sub 5:30, then another 30 minutes on the bike.
    Had a few jobs today so had half an idea I might do more training after. Nah! Tomorrow will have to do.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just joshing old son.

And i'm afraid any getting up before I do is officially mad.

Are you joining the thread 5k party at the LFOTM race?

Simon, myself and Aley involved so far.

I think my non thread pal is coming too, although not to race. I dare say his involvement either way might affect any prolonged post race festivities, but we'll see if he's definitely on board first!

6&4 today, standard garb.

New racers arrived. So light! Look pure scenes.

Best get a couple of sessions in them before breaking the "don't race in new shoes" rule!

Although I did see there's both a half marathon round Dorney lake Saturday, as well as 5k/10k/15k/20k on Sunday, same venue.

Problem is the half would be £40 (!), and even the 5k is £25! And although it's fairly likely i'd weasel into the top 3 in at leas the 5k-20k races (all starting together!) to get some of the money back, it's a rubbish starting time too. 12.30!

12.30, loads of dosh, appalling standard.

Sort of ruins something that had great potential.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SG - if you want stress..... leg 1 of the Ridgeway Relay a few years ago. I'd gotten lost on my recce (truth be told we were stood facing the wrong way so never even set foot on the Ridgeway!). On the day a group of 4 others plus me took off. Cooray plus another guy started to pull away, so I checked if the other two knew the route, stuck with them until 5, when they gave me a few pointers and sent me on my way. The next 6 were 'eyeballs on stalks' time, but I got to the changeover point to find Cooray + 1 must have gotten lost. Never again!!
    Btw, I'm sure you know, that setup at Dorney is F3 and their rep isn't great!

SC - couldn't agree more. The last time I managed anything near 6 months of consistency I set my pb.

Ric 4am! :open_mouth: The only way I see that time is from the other side!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Huge distance relays, involving long legs, with a relatively small amount of teams :) That certainly is the stuff of nightmares!

I'm sure this southerns is at least safe for that sort of thing. Sounds similar to the Runnymede one. All start and finish at same point, 2 different routes, and presumably obviously laid out. Helped by there being 50 odd teams, so bound to always be someone fairly in sight, or keeping you honest from behind

I think Ric had the worst relay experience though. A teammate completely stitching him up by doing a time nothing like what they'd predicted! Norfolk? Chucking his routine out. I'll have work a sensible eating plan out, as it's a 90min drive, starts 12 and goes to 4, and i'm probably up 1.20-1.30 ish...

The other relay i'd done, the River relay needed a bit more concentration, especially as I tended to pick the baton up with at least a 2-3min head start. In hindsight, it couldn't really have been an easier route, but there were a couple of bits you could ruck up, not to mention an exceptionally dangerous road to choose to cross on the risk, or wait for some geezer to do the lights and hope they didn't take 2mins to change!

F3 at least have their stuff PO10 now, that's one small step In the right direction

• Options
    Southern relays are totally different SG,  you won't get lost on those. 

16 x 400 last night, with 65-70 secs recovery. First 73, then a mixture of 68's and 69's with a 66 to finish. Bit breezy round top bend, but not too bad. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's obviously impressive paces, but at that quantity too! Oh my word son. I did 16 once, but at 10k pace, and even those were feeling weary near the end.

New Hyperions in my possession, i tried them out. I',m going to save them just for the actual tempo/rep miles now, doing warmup 3miles in the clogs, try and save them a bit!

Fancied a pyramid job, 5k worth, 200-400-600-800-1000-800-600-400-200

1min recoveries around the 200-400s, 90secs around the rest.

Pretty much what we were after, 1.18 lapping for 800s/1000, and a notch quicker for each of the lower tiers.

Shoes after an initial short period of "does the big toe feel tight", felt amazing, definitely the lightest shoe i've ever used, 6ounces i think i read?

Enjoyable outing.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    SG - F3 are well known as a triathlon events company and are regularly pilloried for their incompetence and greed. £5 bag drops and parking are regular rip offs as well as charging a day license even though they are not affiliated to British Triathlon, I assume they trouser the £5 they fleece there. I refuse to do any of their races.

Our club champs 5k/10k is at one of their events so it was a bit of conflict, well until I spent three months on the sidelines.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they do seem to be the absolute antithesis of what a lot of the running scene is about!
    I suppose i've spent enough time not racing for there to not really be any desperate need to force races! Do have this relay, and the 5k in the next 2 weeks. See how they go, and spring/summer should yield tonnes of opportunities to rack some stuff up

I noticed Watford have a mile race at their first meet in May. I dare say we could get a gang of us there, with the advantage that it'd be something like 7.30ish, rather than the awful 9.30-10pm start of the 3ks!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice pyramid SG - interesting to compare your paces to mine from last week!

Simon - blimey!

Where can I find info on the Watford races SG?

F3 means "f##k you 3 ways"

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just whack Watford AC meets into google, and that should get you there.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Okey dokey....