Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    Wow - just read the link. I think my planned run for friday should be more hills than normal. How does what the call their "steep ratio" convert to gradient percentages that we use here? 
  • Options
    Thanks Lowrez - I see that link also has the words of 'Shosholoza' as well :)
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Snail, I don't know but I don't think that any of the hills would be regarded as particularly steep, aside from a very short one that you run down early on.  They are just long.  If you are in the south the hill that goes up through Denbies would be typical.  In the north Beacon Hill in Leicestershire.
  • Options
    Thanks. Have done a half marathon through denbies (speed walking though)
    Planning to run up and down box hill
  • Options
    am I reading that table correctly?
    It appears that those hills all have a steepness of between 5 to 7% 
    I'm guessing there are steeper kicks within those but average out around 5 -7% 
    I suppose 6% is pretty tough when it's over 3km long...
  • Options
    damn it - this stupid new forum! I saw Lowrez's post and typed my question without seeing the new page where the questions had already been discussed! 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I think Winter Hill in Bolton would be another that's of a Comrades type. Rivington Pike is too steep, as I recall. 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Just shove the decimal place on the steepness ratio one to the left to get the percentage - all they are doing is dividing the height by the length.

I suppose if you walk up these hills like I do they will seem more beastly and gargantuan than if you jog or run up them and get them out of the way. I like Mr Fordyce's words in that doc; preservation is key to my success all the way.

RR - I originally thought everyone was singing "When we are together", not, "Wen' uyabaleka" - I still sing my words.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Looks like my inability to stretch out me left leg properly without going "ouch" is down to a tight IT band, same for a similar ouch from my knee when me left foot plants on the floor. Despite the "encouragement" I got at the physio yesterday I am finding it challenging to remember to get up from me desk and stretch the thing effectively so I can return to trotting around the universe in fancy dress waving at people. Must try harder!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Ouch! I sympathise with anyone who has an ITB issue.  Luckily it's the one thing I've hardly ever experienced - but I'll never forget the pain of a proper ITB 'release', which I'm sure the physio must have inflicted upon you. :s  It will be worth it and I'm sure you'll soon be waving at people in fancy dress again  :)
  • Options
    Definitely sounds painful Lowrez  Get up off your chair right now and stretch :)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I recall someone having the same treatment; although I can't get this new system to jump to 38:14 like the url requests - https://youtu.be/nHWVhSJpLro?t=2288 (mine was no where near as painful though)
  • Options
    Painful. Watched a bit more after that. Wonder why he's running on main roads. On one clip he had a very nice pavement next to him.
  • Options
    Oh - just before the ITB physio session - his little face when the support crew aren't there, and aren't there...and them finally he sees them :)
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Snail, I ran with him in Nottingham and he said he preferred the road. Fewer trip hazards and things to bump into. Plus the camera was on a cart being towed by a bicycle. 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    lowrez - do I recall that you did the Canalathon last year?  Or at least you might be familiar with the canal from Manchester to Sowerby Bridge.  I'm wondering about shoes and, more specifically, whether I can get away with road shoes.
  • Options
    hi all.. just popping in to check all is going well.I have printed off that linkLowrenz and will read it when I need some more positive motivation.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Becca - road shoes should be fine - there were a few places where the canal kind of spilled over massive stone slabs right across the path when I ran it, but there had been quite a lot of damage due to floods earlier in the year and they had drained large sections. I think those were being used to keep the water level low, despite that, some careful stepping and all was fine. I recall a section of a few miles was completely shut too due to those repairs and we had to run on roads through some town bits, so I did not cover all the towpath that day. The vast majority of what I ran was either city concrete or reasonably good trail.

Keep positive seren; its amazing what the system can achieve; hoping you recover soon.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez.  Will choose my grey coloured road shoes rather than the white ones.
  • Options
    How cool to have run with him Becca. Have to say I sometimes run on the road too because of the camber of the pavements.

Seren-how's it going? Have you seen the Physio yet? 
  • Options
    Terry, sympathies for the problems at the weekend. Good luck for Boston - see you there (must start thinking about travel).

Thanks everyone for the info about hills - very useful. I get quite a lot of hills running in the croydon area, as well as the route to/from work over crystal Palace hill, but none going on for so long as some of the Comrades hills.

My nice hilly 24 miles on Sunday didn't happen, due to a bout of norovirus. I've not run since a parkrun on Saturday. Grr. Feeling a lot better today, so might go for a little run by myself this evening if I feel like it when I finally get home. Need to be fully fit for Sunday as I have a 6-hour Challenge to run with SVN!
  • Options
    SS.. I missed a phonecall from the physio yesterday. They said they would put an appointment in the post as I missed their call

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Pavements are more hazardous than roads in SA - misaligned and broken concrete, missing manhole covers (stolen to sell for scrap), tree roots, sudden level changes and they don't have any maintenance.  Plus they are often concrete which is harder to run on that tarmac.  Roads just have cars and potholes.  However you can't really escape the pollution.  The Comrades route is finely manicured in comparison.

All Comrades hills are very runnable in isolation.  It is the combination of relentless up, relentless change in gradient and distance that give the difficulties.  Things get hard from Inchanga.  BR and faster will run a large portion of that.  9+ hour runners can increasing walk. Also the long slow ascent from the bottom of Inchanga is hard after the section from the top of Botha's to the bottom of Inchanga.  Little Pollys and Big Pollys is inevitable very hard.  Not many run all the way up Big Pollys, even at silver medal level.  A BR medalist can even walk most the way up if they have time (50 minutes from the top to the finish at BR pace).  Bronze and VC medals would pretty much all walk unless facing a cut-off or medal boundary.  The trick is not to exhaust yourself early on by running too fast, particularly up the early hills.  Remember that it is a long, long way from Durban to Pitermaritzburg by foot.

14km last night - a little pain and off to see biokineticist this afternoon
  • Options
    Hope everyone is trucking on well!  good run in the forest last night - loads of mud and hills. A refreshing break from the mundane roads!  
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Becca, I agree; if you want to keep your Sarumans white then run in your Gandalfs this weekend. Good luck to you and Mr Z in your events on Sunday!

2 mile walk for me on the canal this affy, all I have managed since Sunday's aborted 3. Things seem to be improving though, as usual I am probably being lazy and over cautious, must go for a run soon.

• Options
    Happy Friday everyone! 

I had a great run last night - not long but first run in a bit where my legs weren't tired! looking forward to running in the evenings without headtorches! 

Im in 2 minds as to what to do this weekend - Manchester next weekend is where I am targeting a faster see-where-i-actually-am marathon so the plan for this weekend was always to take it super easy. I ran up at QE park on Wednesday and there has been a load of logging works going on so the already very hilly and muddy route has been cut up and is extra hard work. 

Im thinking I may be better suited doing a back to back weekend on the roads, still logging decent miles without needed huge amounts of recovery time

Hope you're feeling spritely soon Lowrez 

Speaking of Manchester: which part of the city are you staying at Seren, SS, Lowrez? I'll be in the south of the city but will have the car so can be mobile. Would you fancy meeting for dinner the night before or in a pub after the run for an isotonic pint? 
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Mr Zuvai - you say you've been working hard and now want contemplate to run B2B before a fast marathon next weekend.  B2B IMHO has very high chance to cause injury if tired already going into it.  I suggest sticking to your original plan - long (by which I mean 3h max) is still OK as long as it is easy
  • Options
    Bike it - thanks for the info re hills. All information greatly received  :) good luck with the biokineticist 

We're staying somewhere near West Didsbury train station wherever that is in relation to the Manchester city but we're with friends who are driving so not sure about when we're available etc

Because of going away next weekend and a busy 3 days coming up I have today just done the second of my really long runs. 28 miles with 900m ascent. My legs are now somewhat weary.The camber really got to me in the end. Neither the roads, pavements or trails were level and I really noticed it in the last third, but pleased to have got that out the way with some decent hills. Can't possibly imagine doing twice that.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done Snail.  There are actually some cambers at times in Comrades, so this was a good training run from that perspective as well as great time on feet.  A training run as long as that is mentally tough but you will have so much extra to lift you on the day.

Apparently I just earned my eight year anniversary badge on here.
  • Options
    I managed 4.6 miles in Brockwell Park yesterday lunchtime - my first run since my little encounter with norovirus, and felt okay. Not proper hill repeats, just continuous up- and down-hill running, almost nothing on the flat, averaging about 9 mins/mile. Hoping to parkrun tomorrow but may need to do a non-running volunteer role. Sunday is the 6-hour challenge event with SVN. Aiming to trot along at 10-minute miles, maybe switching to a run-walk schedule later on.