Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Dan - Everyone was reckoning that times were on the slow side yesterday, it was a light front end for a HRRL fixture, many usual suspects were missing, so there wasn't any real push to go faster. I felt I had the heat in check, I've done a fair number of sweaty treadmill runs (quick, not overdressed!). So maybe got a bit of heat adaptation going on already.... i got in the sauna this morning, after an easy 6M outdoors (cool) followed by an easy 3M treadmill (bit warmer), and found I could cope with the heat pretty happily. Where-as in the past a full 30' mins of 95degC was tough going by the end. 

OuchOuch - Think you're due a couple ;-)

Selbs - Great to hear that you'll be toeing the line a week on Sunday, sounding decently fit ATC....

Padams - A quality block of training over the weekend there!

LMH
    - I echo what others have said, more long endurance isn't likely to bring you any gains for race day now, better to focus on getting your legs fresh and ready to run at MP

Wardi - Good plan with going into tick over mode, hope you have a good time in the Lakes. As it happens I'm up your way for Easter, hoping to sneak in a quick bash around York parkrun while I'm there.

Jools - Good effort getting both the road relays and a long run in at the weekend!

Just seen on Po10 that yesterday's 10mile time was in fact a 10sec PB! Although I've been through 10M in 2 HMs this year in just over 55mins....
  • Options
    I won't Padams - no more than 14 in one go from now on - though my last proper long run was on the 2nd with 18 on the 4th............

Hope you get some answers with your blood results Wardi. My GP has just suggested it's time I had a load done but I'm not booked in to get it taken until next Tuesday so results won't be back before London so I won't be able to worry about anything - but may have an excuse for afterwards if required:-)

Sounds promising Dan. My knee wasn't very happy after all the time spent travelling over the weekend and the hilly 10k but it is no more than a minor grumble so I'm hoping that the reduced mileage will help it to settle totally.

Nice racing Al - definitely good for the confidence.

I know what you mean Joolska. Hope it helped.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - belated birthday wishes, you beat me to the 50 by a few weeks.

Nice to see that Selbs is fit enough for another VLM

Al - good going that, Salisbury is quiet tough, I remember a tough hill quite early on and then its a bit rolling after that.

Tick Tock - yes, its slow going, but I'm getting there.

10M y'day. my first double digit run since July !
  • Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hello all,

Not been on here for some time but in touch with a few via Facebook/Strava.

Haven't done much of a readback I'm afraid.

Good run from Al_P at Salisbury

Stupid forum deleted my post!!

Very short version is 2:33:33PB at Manchester, thought I was fitter than that so am running London
  • Options
    Selbs, good to hear you'll be running London. Yes, it's Boston for me. Almost time to post a target, but I will leave it until my 9 with 2MP test run on Thursday.

Dan, glad to hear you'll also be there and sounding on great form.

Ran 6M today after realizing I have to insert an extra day into my training plan since Boston is on Monday. I figured better to add the extra run now and shift all the remaining runs forward one day.
  • Options
    Hey Padams,  Got Snowdonia in October and although I plan to run as fast as I can there I'm not going to beat my London time. First time doing London but assuming I enjoy it and qualify with a good for age again I imagine I'll keep doing it. If not then i'll be doing another big city marathon. Over the last few days I've realised I would be delighted with a sub 2.50 which I think Is possible. So that's my target I think. The sub 2.45 can wait a year.. :)

Good job on the Saturday run! The heat was quite uncomfortable to run in.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    RyanS - Great to hear that you'll be giving London a crack, hopping on the sub2:30 train for an all or nothing attempt?  ;)

TR - The nasty hill is at about 6M short but steep and with a kind of corkscrew twist to it (at least that's how it feels!), seriously curtails your pace...

ES - If I don't get a chance to say closer to race day, good luck for Monday!

Sort of ticking over this week, waiting for my legs to recovery from Sunday's race and getting prepped for a week on Sunday. Yesterday was 6M outdoors followed by 3M easy treadmill and then 30mins cooking in the gym sauna. Then another 6M easy at lunchtime. Same again today with a chilly 6M easy, 3M treadmill (with 5x200m strides @16kph) & more sauna. Will pop out at lunch for another easy 45mins or so.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

TR22 - sounds v sensible approach.

ES - do you really do 9m on Thursday pre marathon on Monday?  I guess if coming down from lots of mileage its no big deal.  But my longest run of 12m will be 8 days prior to London (with 5-6 at MP to get a good feel for target), and after that I only run 30-40 minutes at any one time in final week.  Mind you my back and legs really feel like they need the r&r. I guess you are following P&D anyway so if it says to do it they know what they are doing!  

Another easy day for me today, before last proper hard run of the campaign with around 10 at MP tomorrow in a 12.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Al P.. if you do go to York Park Run tuck yourself well down the front, they're getting circa 600 runners there these days!  Congrats on 2nd and a cracking race performance BTW.

Selbs.. welcome back & nice to see you can toe the start line this year.

Ryan S..  as elsewhere great run at Manchester, all these 2:30+ times mean the sub 2:30 will taste all the sweeter when it happens.

TR.. good to see you in double figures again  :)

ES/CD.. all the best for the taper.
  • Options
    Good to see the thread getting busier now that the spring marathons are upon us.  Great run from RS at Manchester, somethings going right when a 2:33 pb is considered not good enough. Sub 2:30 from there is a big jump, but there's not a lot to lose going for it in London.  Sometimes you've just got to put it all on the line.

Nice racing there too Al.

I'm currently in Toronto, doing the family tourist thing before heading to Boston on Friday. Making the most of the jetlag to get some easy running in along the waterfront early doors, but nothing too extravagant. Yesterday was spent going up the CN tower, getting tickets for the baseball later in the week, usual tourist stuff, all quite relaxing really.  Tomorrow we're off to niagara for the day.  Only downside is that junior is throwing up Mr creosote style this morning, hopefully just a bit of food poisoning rather than anything contagious! 
  • Options
    Hope junior recovers quickly and doesn't pass anything on CD.
  • Options
    ES/CD - Enjoy the full on taper madness!

Selbs - I presume it's VLM?

Al_P - Is it 2:29 or bust for you then?

Not really sure what happened at Manchester but I was 8-10 secs a mile slower  than expected for a given HR and effort level. 
    Was very pleased with how I ran on the day, got what I could out of it and mostly enjoyed myself.
    London is very much sub 2:30 or bust. I've never done two so close together so don't know how my body will react. I felt great the day after Manchester and did 100m last week so hopefully an indication that something was blocking a full effort. If it starts really falling apart at any point, I'm happy to jog to the finish rather than flog myself to death.
    I've made some tweaks to taper and carb load (6 day taper and no carb load) as a bit of an experiment.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Yup RS, another tilt at London marathon for me!  Cant believe you pull out a 100m week straight after Manchester basically, different gravy.  Good luck with the sub 230 attempt. And only a 6 day taper! I need the full 2 week taper to try and let the body recover..

CD hope junior is better, sounds fun times apart from that though, hope you avoid the lurgy too.

Thanks Wardi/TR/AL_P

• Options
    Selbs - yep - I'm a slave to P&D, and they have 9M with 2MP 4 days before the race.

CD - we must try to catch up in Boston.

Wardi - my sister-in-law did her first parkrun at York last week. It's quite staggering how many people turn out.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    ES - I always that P&D had 7M with 2M MP 4 days out? Maybe it's changed over the years.

RyanS - great run at Manchester and sounds like there is more to come (at least I hope there is otherwise 100M the week after was a bit silly!).

Looking forward to seeing how you all do at Boston and London over the next couple of weekends.

Nothing exciting to report from me, just a few short runs so far this week, mainly with the dog.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Been off work and therefore out of my lunchtime forum habit...

TR22 -- that 3:08 in Snowdonia was good going. It suggests you're not the sort to blow up in marathons.

Jools -- nice one in the relays.

LMH -- happy birthday! And wow, you'll do some damage as a V50 I'm sure. Well done on the win.

AlP -- great 10M in the heat and hills there, and good news that your ankle is OK.

DanA -- you're in great form judging by that parkrun.

Welcome back Selbs!

RyanS -- congrats again on the PB, maybe you can beat it again on the 23rd... What's the thinking behind skipping carbo loading? (I still do it enthusiastically.)

TR -- nice to hear you're still progressing. And who knows if I'd do better with fewer long runs close to the event? Maybe, maybe not. I'm loath to change my formula now, unless I get some strong evidence that I could do better (as I did jumping on the big miles/heat acclimatisation bandwagon). I recall Marigold did spectacularly after a ?35M run the week before once (he was training for 100km).

So I did my last 20M on Sunday, with a standard reps/tempo session. That was kind of OK, but a bit slower than the same run last year, so not overly encouraging. Rested Monday, then yesterday I did some hills (training for the mile 3 descent) and general overdressed heat-acclimatisation endurance, total 14M, and felt pretty peculiar by the end -- either because of the heat, or possibly also because I'm in a fairly carb-depleted phase now. I'll run again this afternoon and a bit more tomorrow, then rest before my own MP trial at the weekend (just 12M or something with the second half at MP to see how it feels).
  • Options
    It's a bit early to be carb depleting isn't it Charlie?

You couldn't make it up - just over half a mile into my run this morning I went flying, think the bad knee gave way, anyway took most of the impact on my left forearm and right knee. Arm is pretty banged up but I don't think anything's broken, both knees are bruised and my left knee has a couple of deep holes in it. Started to walk home but then decided that I'd probably stiffen up and be unable to run tomorrow so carried on. Fingers crossed everything will work in the morning but I'm not really very hopeful.
  • Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    LMH - Fingers crossed that all is well tomorrow

Padams/Selbs - I don't mind the high risk strategy as I'm going into London with nothing to lose having already got a PB. I'm hoping that the fact I could do 100m without breaking is a sign that Manchester wasn't a 'full effort'

CW - I did some analysis of my last four marathons and I've been sluggish on the start line all four times, and slower than expected at the start. The training blocks, targets and mental state were all varied and the only constants were short tapers and some sort of carb load each time. I don't really eat anything sweet normally and then shovel loads down me and it doesn't make me feel good and I gain 2-3kg. Worst case scenario is I can rule it out as a cause of feeling a bit groggy and slow on race day.
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Jeez LMH I really hope you are OK. You have had more than your fair share of bad luck for this campaign already.
  • Options
    You don't need lots of sweet stuff to carb load though Ryan - I like oatcakes to bump mine up and never aim for a specific amount I just decrease fruit and veg and eat more carbs.
    I know TT - it feels like every time I think I'm getting there/getting it back something happens. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure it was my knee giving way, I've felt it do it a few times on runs but the other foot has always come through quick enough to catch me. Had a very rough night last night. The knee is going to be ok I think, just bruised, stiff and with one quite large hole but my arm/shoulder is not much use. May have to brave A&E if it's no better/worse tomorrow. Looks as though it's extreme taper time as I can't think of anything I can do.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RS - I like your strategy as like you I PB in Manchester - albeit not so impressively, reading your post has given me the mojo to go 50 seconds quicker (its only 2 seconds a mile) and sub 250 - (said it now).
    LMH - I hope your miracle powers of recovery work yet again.
    Gentle plod last night and today 7m with fast 5K envisaged
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Oh, LMH, that is ridiculously bad luck. I have everything crossed for you!

4 miles recovery last night. Club session tonight.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - that's really annoying. Hopefully it is all just bruising and you'll be fine in a couple of days. My elbow is still sore from my fall 3 weeks ago, but obviously that doesn't affect running.

RyanS - yes, nice to be able to go into a race with the pressure off and you can take a bit of a risk. If it doesn't go to plan you can just do what Marigold did at Manchester and enjoy the 2nd half - he seemed to get a lot of coverage on Channel 4 last weekend in any case!

4.5M with the dog this morning. She was very keen today so towed me along for 3M but then got tired and was needing some encouragement for the last mile or so!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Haven't read back, bar spotting LMH' mishap above - ouch, and fingers crossed; just popping in to say I hope everybody's enjoying the taper and shaping up well.
    Nothing much to report here. I've been using the enforced lighter mileage to get the house finished, so have been working around the clock with plenty of lifting/physical work. Thankfully almost there and it means when I get the all clear to train properly again I have nothing to hinder me :smiley:

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

oh LMH you've been through the mill!  Hope it comes right and you still get a good day week on Sunday.

poor "dress rehearsal" 12 miles run for me yesterday compared to last year, similar time for the 10 miles (60:33 compared to 60:18 last year) - but HR/effort way higher so may have to scale back expectations.  Back was really playing up so legs/feet going numb didn't help. Oh well can't do much more now but hope for best!  on positive side it was still an improvement on 2015 comparable run so might be OK on the day!

Good luck to the Boston crew (2?)

• Options
    Oh, LMH, you are really not having much luck. I really hope it's just bumps and bruises and you'll be OK in a couple of days.

CW 
    - You've put together a decent block of training, all good signs for a week on Sunday.

Padams
    - it depends which variant of P&D you're following. It is 7M/2MP on the 55-70 plan, 8M/2MP on the 70-85 plan and 9M/2MP on the 85+ plan. It is a sad fact that I didn't even have to look those numbers up...!

Speaking of MP test runs, I did mine earlier today. The results were interesting. 6:16 for mile 1 and 6:12 for mile 2. HR for both miles 156. Marathon target HR for me is 155 normally. So I may be in with a shout at sub 2:45, although Boston isn't the easiest course. I will have a think and post my targets tonight.
  • Options
    Sounds promising ES.

You an never tell what you'll get on the day selbs. The back issue doesn't sound good.

I think the knee will be ok to run on tomorrow. Hope so though really I know that any miles now are more for my mental health than race chances.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Bad luck LMH, though I recall LS21 ran a sub 2:45 PB a few days after being hit by a car so keep your spirits up!

Fingers crossed for you Selbs, hope the body holds together on the day.

Charlie.. hope you get what your training deserves at VLM, similar target to York? 

Docs this morning for blood test results.  Hemoglobin was around 12.8 whereas the minimum recommended for a bloke is 13.8.  Ferritin stores were on the low side of ok.  Not a serious problem but the Doc reckoned it would affect strenuous exercise like running which explains a lot.  I've been taking one iron tablet per day for a week now and my energy levels are definitely up - around 30 secs per mile quicker on an easy 'as you feel' run.  Apparently my cholesterol reading is marvellous so I'm clearly not eating enough rich food or indeed earning the right to wear a smoking jacket.

Celebrated with a 10k run this afternoon, after this weekend in the lakes I can crack on with some sort of plan.

• Options
    Good news Wardi.
  • Options
    OK, here we go folks. CD and GBRM, if you are out there, feel free to append yours!

Boston Marathon

ES (#1312). A: 2:44:59, B: 2:47ish, C: 2:49:59