Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    One thing about having the marathon behind you... you can go out on a Saturday night, have a few pints and who cares if it's 2.30am, you can study the FML form.

Not gone for the safe bets (except for Tom), so let's give it a crack

Tom 2:35:30  (Captain Sandbagger)
    Just Coop Going  4:03... that outfit has got to slow her down
    Westy... I'll go for 2:53:49.
    AWC  3:27... expect a solid performance, and want to support at least one non-London marathoner!

I really hope you blast me out of the water with even faster times than these - but I sure hope you really enjoy it.

• Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Morning team.

Skulked away from the wedding at 8.45 - was home by 9.15. What a lightweight!

Looks like we've got the perfect day - no excuses. I hope all the hard work put in delivers the results. It'd be just reward for a great bunch of people on here.

Hopefully see a lot of you out there today. Give my bum a pinch if I've exploded and I'm walking along the embankment.

Go well.

JB
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone! A massive good luck to anyone running today. Enjoy yourselves!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Breakfast down. Alright sleep. Off to get the club bus soon. 

Good luck eveyone.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all........Let's do this!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Morning VLM folks! 
    Looking at the conditions, if there was any day to perform, today is that day. 
    In the words of Steve Way "Don't be shit!"

im planning on being in the Red Lion straight after the finish and then moving on to the Lord Moon one from about 3ish. Hopefully catch up with a few later. 
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Woke up late. Still eating my porridge. 

Good luck everyone: have a fantastic day. To get to the start line intact is a massive achievement in itself & to finish it an even bigger achievement. 

I'll be staring at the back of Millsy's head for 26 miles before I do him at the end ;)
  • Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    Great report John. Nice photos too.

Good luck today everyone. Probably a good thing I didn't manage to put a decent training block together. We ended up having our second baby yesterday afternoon. Can see mile 25 from our room at St Thomas's though so got a decent view.
  • Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed this thread when I have in the past found some of the runners worlds threads to be inhabited by a few pompous/self righteous sorts, same for the triathlon forum.  This one has had a much friendlier vibe and I hope to be in the spring 2018 p and d thread.  Needless to say good luck to everyone running today, I look forward to updates. (Particularly AWC, having followed your training on strava see no reason why sub 3:30 cant be yours).
  • Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    After a glance at early tracking, the battle for sandbagging champion is well and truly underway. A few of you are looking very strong
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    No spoilers here but some impressive performances today. There was even a mention for the fastest Swimmer!
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Just heard Mr Spraggins being mentioned too for his new world record. And his time too! Will leave it at that but very much enjoyed tracking everyone.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Apologies in advance as I've been commander in chief of the sandbagging police over the last year or so. 

Had an awesome run. Better than i ever dreamed. Was waiting to blow up but never happened. 2:34:10 with 30s neg split. 

Saw some gallah where green and blue starts meet wearing ridiculous swimmers. Ran with joe for a bit on the way to his gwr. Good to catch up afterwards and good to see tom at the start and have some company before the madness began. 

First pint down waiting for club bus.
  • Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    Fantastic HA77. Well done.
  • Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Awesome result HA congrats. Some amazing performances from other threadsters too. Funny old elite race between the crazy women's pace and the quite slow men's race. Apparently the first Brit male ran off the mass start?! Pleased to see Aly Dixon and Charlie Purdue do well, shame Jo Pavey dropped out though. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hey guys 3:40:58 today which I'm pleased with given the previous month of illnesses I've had. Detonated a bit from mile 20 onwards with cramp in quads and hamstrings so please to hang on at the end. Will do a full report later but now time for some well deserved beer and food
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Just got out of St. John's Ambulance tent having collapsed after finishing. Not great-2:41xx-felt rough from 15 miles. Long journey home now. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Awesome run HA. Tom that's a cracking run that promised even more which should give you a lot to be positive about for next time.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Tough day. Cramped badly. Ended up jog/walking in for 3:14:21. Not quite as rough as Tom. Hope yr OK. Impressive performance HA

• Options
    Quick check in between pints, 2:58 something. Made up with that.  Ha - wow !!!!
    Tom - hopefully feeling better but have a wow to.
    AWC - great result anytime but with your build up well done.
    Family only just spotted me but they got an eyeful of some guy in a bikini - their words !
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Stunning result HA77!

brilliant sub 3 MACCA after doing Paris a few weeks ago

well done Joe on the WR

great running Tom - hope your ok
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Joe's weight loss effort makes sense now, it was a bikini diet!
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if Joe, with his newfound fame, might release a workout DVD, "Sandbagging with Swimwear". 

HA, that's phenomenal. And you do relatively low-mileage, is that right? Good for you going out with clearly an aspirational sandbagging target but sticking with it. 

Congratulations to others like Macca, AWC, Millsy and those who haven't posted yet (but we all know their times because we've checked!)

Although the conditions were great on the face of it, it definitely felt hotter than predicted for periods. There were people streaming with sweat from about mile 6. I also found a lot of congestion on the road up until about mile 16. I havent checked Garmin yet but reckon I ran substantially longer with a lot of zigzaging round people. Speeding up & slowing down waiting for a gap also meant it was tough to find a rhythm. 

That said I'm very happy with a PB off less training than last year but also was able to enjoy the run more as I was just running off avg. lap pace on my Garmin. As I didn't have a real target I just let the running happen. So not obsessing over a sub-3 time this year meant I could soak up the atmosphere more. (However, still got calf twinges around mile 21 each time I started trying to push on.)

All that said, I would have liked to have known that 3 seconds faster would have had got me my 'target' 2:56 time! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello all...some very impressive performances on here...especially HA77 and apparently Joe. I managed 2:50 on the dot...made a school boy error of running too fast early in the race and paid the price later on. An impressive positive split. Still, was a great day, had family there which was nice and had a good weekend in London. Losing the love for the marathon though, too much pain.
    Hope you're ok Tom.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Shit tom. Hope you're ok. I was wondering where you went at the finish. I think you hm times and training deserve sub2:40 and would've been yours on another day. Take it easy for a while and you'll be back at it soon enough.

Top stuff macca. Great time backing up.

Great work also to AWC, Westy, Jooligan and Tommo.

Tommo - I didn't really mean to set out that fast and i kept telling myself i was going too fast but just got dragged along by other runners until about 15 miles when i started passing people.
  • Options
    Quick post to congratulate everyone before Line of Duty kicks in. Individual mentions to come. 

2.50.58 for me. My shin didn't hold and I was utterly cramped up at the hip so it was a desperate last 10 miles. I compounded that by going off too fast over too short a distance after getting stuck behind the 3 hour pacers.
  • Options

Fantastic run Ha, hope you enjoyed the beers

Sound like tough days for Tom, Jooligan and AWC but all very creditable performances 

Brilliant sub 3 Macca!

Great runs from Tommo and Westy too. Also from the rest of you who haven't posted yet

I enjoyed a very pleasant hours run this morning taking in some of the southampton marathon route, many spectators/stewards confused me for a runner and some tried to usher me through the stadium. From some stories I've heard though the organizers of Southampton need to rethink for next year as parts were incredible congested with 10km/half and mara runners and the leaders in the 10km and others getting sent the wrong way

• Options
    Hello, quick report - will reply to all the amazing runs tomorrow when I'm not in bed and exhausted. 

In short, today was a slog, but I'm really pleased with myself for getting around and with 10+ mins spare for the record: 4:13. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done JCG. GWR awesome. Glad you made it. Was a bit concerned about you overheating in that outfit once I'd finished & realised how bad I was.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just a very quick check in, a proper report to follow. About a minute off a PB for me but my most even paced marathon to date. 
    Had a few pints in the pub after and have only just woken up. Will have a proper read back in the morning. 
    Wasnt expecting HA77 to be the thread sandbagger. Awesome result.